Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The Royal Scrub posted:

Couldn't any rear end in a top hat could just get some extra parts on the house? Seems like there are zero ways to prevent false claims.

Some of the licensed sets require you to enter the unique number on the instruction booklet if you want any of the printed parts/mini-figs, so it's only really normal bricks that are easy to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crop Top Skank
Apr 4, 2007

Or you could be a dope like me and think you're missing a part for a big set, call them up and have it shipped to you, then later find said part inside one of the opened part bags and feel like a heel.

I've learned to always double check those bags, especially when there are lots of them!

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

The rear end Stooge posted:

Yeah, but Lego probably cares more about keeping their customers with legitimate grievances happy by not making them jump through a bunch of unnecessary hoops than they do about however many free pieces they send out to people willing to go through the hassle of submitting a complaint to get one free Lego.

They also keep track of all of your part requests, so it's possible they could deny requests if you ask too often

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Speaking of replacement parts, did they ever fix the Flux Capacitor? I was one of the people who got a misprinted brick after requesting a correct one.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Cloks posted:

Speaking of replacement parts, did they ever fix the Flux Capacitor? I was one of the people who got a misprinted brick after requesting a correct one.

Yes. I got another misprinted brick as well and after I asked the second time the replacement they sent me was correct - it's the same parts number just with -1 added onto the end, so keep an eye out for that when the order once more.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Yes. I got another misprinted brick as well and after I asked the second time the replacement they sent me was correct - it's the same parts number just with -1 added onto the end, so keep an eye out for that when the order once more.

I should do this soon.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

The Rage posted:

I should do this soon.

Yeah thanks for the reminder. I just sent in my request for a new one.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

The rear end Stooge posted:

Yeah, but Lego probably cares more about keeping their customers with legitimate grievances happy by not making them jump through a bunch of unnecessary hoops than they do about however many free pieces they send out to people willing to go through the hassle of submitting a complaint to get one free Lego.

They really are good at customer service. I had a piece the dog chewed up, and when I went to the Lego store to see if they had any in the pick a brick wall. The store employee told me to just contact the website, lie to them and say my box never had the part. I really didn't like the idea of that, and so when I went on the website, I was honest and told them the dog ate the piece and they actually did send me a replacement saying they understand that kind of thing happens.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning

Had a lot of fun building both of these sets - especially the Delorean as I've loved those movies since I was a kid.
I ordered a few extra bits that I thought the set needed, like Doc's briefcase, time-appropriate money, walkie-talkies, a letter and parts for a hoverboard that doesn't look completely like rear end.

I also bought the Lone Ranger train set and was going to pose the 2 sets to try and recreate the end of BTTF3, but I got buyer's remorse as soon as the train set arrived and so haven't opened it yet, still deciding if I should use it or wait a few months and flip it.

fygar
Nov 24, 2004
glorp
I broke down this set the other day to make some room and was reminded how much stickers suck. The stickers on the Mach 5 were cracked and chipping, making a sort-of crummy car look even crummier. I get the reasons why they couldn't print the red "M" and the "5," but it really would have gone a-ways to improving the set. Strangely, the stickers on the Snake Oiler car still look fine after all this time.

The other reason I broke down the set is that I needed the white parts for an idea that I recently had, and the sorting got me wondering about a few things regarding customizing/modding. Once you come up with an idea, do you do much "pre-visualization" on the computer; or do you put together a Lego "palette" of pieces in the colors that you think you'll need and "feel" your way into a final product? Do you find yourselves mainly buying sets for the designs or for the parts? Also, is there a recommended book written for people returning to the hobby after a long absence?

Crop Top Skank
Apr 4, 2007

fygar posted:

Once you come up with an idea, do you do much "pre-visualization" on the computer; or do you put together a Lego "palette" of pieces in the colors that you think you'll need and "feel" your way into a final product? Do you find yourselves mainly buying sets for the designs or for the parts? Also, is there a recommended book written for people returning to the hobby after a long absence?

I usually just try to feel my way toward the final model. It's been a long time since I built a really large model (other than an updated version), but I did draw some ideas for those on paper back in the day.

Personally I mainly buy sets for the parts, but I do prefer it when good part selection overlaps with good design.

I recently got "LEGO Space: Building the Future" which I enjoyed quite a bit. It tells a story of future space exploration which tries to incorporate some of the classic space sub-themes, and the author has tons of inspiring models throughout.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I usually keep a creation assembled until a new one needs a part, once I start the scavenging process I break the whole thing down and sort the pieces back into their color bins. Logic being if I liked the build at all, I wouldn't be stealing from it.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
I was told I should post some of my stuff in this thread.

I built a couple of Mars rovers and also a camera rig for doing stop-motion videos so I've been messing around with them.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

ol qwerty bastard posted:

I was told I should post some of my stuff in this thread.

I built a couple of Mars rovers and also a camera rig for doing stop-motion videos so I've been messing around with them.

Those are pretty great, thanks for sharing!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Has anyone in the UK seen the movie minifigs yet? Usually WHSmiths is usually the first on the new minifig waves, but I've seen nothing yet.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Has anyone in the UK seen the movie minifigs yet? Usually WHSmiths is usually the first on the new minifig waves, but I've seen nothing yet.

What are you after? The Lego store in Manchester has felt through all of the bags and put the figures under the till separately so you just go in, ask for whichever ones you want, and they give them you.

I'd be willing to pick them up for you.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
So this showed up in my flickr feed (probably :nws:).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PriorMarcus posted:

What are you after? The Lego store in Manchester has felt through all of the bags and put the figures under the till separately so you just go in, ask for whichever ones you want, and they give them you.

I'd be willing to pick them up for you.

Nah it's cool :) I like the hunt still, I was just wondering if they were out yet. I'll look at Westfield at some point soon.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Dunno if anyone saw this yet:
http://www.buildwithchrome.com/

Testro
May 2, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Argos had them when I was in there at the weekend.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SaNChEzZ posted:

Dunno if anyone saw this yet:
http://www.buildwithchrome.com/

First thing that pops up on visiting the site: "this site would like to access your current location."

:geno:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

xzzy posted:

First thing that pops up on visiting the site: "this site would like to access your current location."

:geno:

It's so they can tell you where your nearest LEGO store is.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I love this.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

All of those stop-motion things are great, but I agree that this one:

Really takes the cake.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Cloks posted:

I emailed Lego a handful of times before just finally calling - the person I got on the phone knew the exact brick before I named it, and put in for a replacement to be sent out (from Denmark).

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Those rover animations are superb.

Finally made my army of cowboys a place to work and play.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

This seems the most appropriate: :awesome:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

New Lego Movie trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lipp_BxZpto

Well, not trailer, more like fake interviews with the characters.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 29, 2014

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"Mmm... just listen to that rich molasses."

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm excited. :)

Readblood
Nov 9, 2005

smackfu posted:

New Lego Movie trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lipp_BxZpto

Well, not trailer, more like fake interviews with the characters.

Hah, Benny the Spaceman has a Spacedog and Spacecat. The trailers for this movie just keep getting better and better. My anticipation is building…

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

:allears:

I even love the ridiculous happy techno music they're using, it's just so over the top.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Saint Sputnik posted:

There best be a Lego Clint Eastwood somewhere in that town!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Saint Sputnik posted:

That's pretty cool, I'm getting a real Deadwood vibe from it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

xzzy posted:

:allears:

I even love the ridiculous happy techno music they're using, it's just so over the top.

That's Tegan and Sara (of all people), and the actual soundtrack is by Mark Mothersbaugh (from DEVO), who also did The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.

I keep saying it, but Feb. 7th can't get here fast enough.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I am going to be so loving pissed if the cinema in town only shows the Swedish dubbed version.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

President business in wonder woman underwear.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Readblood posted:

Hah, Benny the Spaceman has a Spacedog and Spacecat.

He has teeth marks in his helmet.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Davros1 posted:

There best be a Lego Clint Eastwood somewhere in that town!

Guy on the left with the guitar strapped to his back is as close as I got.

Few more characters: gambler, lawman and train engineer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Did someone say Deadwood?