Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I have a quick question about the in-store Pick-a-Brick - I've seen where people started carefully packing the PAB containers, stacking bricks and arranging things smartly to get much higher piece yeilds and significantly lower cost per piece than randomly dumping pieces in. I'm tempted to drive to Columbus and get $100+ of PAB pieces for building and designing.

Do the Lego store people get pissy if someone is doing that, or do they not really care if someone packs the PAB container?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Pyroclastic posted:

Whenever I go, I usually wind up spending at least a half-hour deciding what to get and doing a decent pack. I've never seen them annoyed at anyone. I think the kids that spill Lego all over the floor rate higher on their annoyance scales.
Of course, if you're a rude, smelly neckbeard who shoves little kids out of the way because there's only a few purple flames left or something, they'd get a little miffed. Just grab a handful, hang back by the counter and pack it, then go back; don't block the wall, because it can get crowded (as you might expect, there are far fewer people in there at 10am on a school day than there are on a weekend or at 4pm on Friday afternoon).

Hahahaha, I laughed at the smelly neckbeard shoving the kids away. I could see someone doing that. No, I would be a bit more careful and curteous than that. I like the idea of setting down a cup and going back and forth carefully like that.

Too bad they don't have PAB for Technic pieces.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

rickiep00h posted:

My daughter is absolutely retarded for the Kingdoms line, and it doesn't help that they're studying (if you can call it that in kindergarten) castles and poo poo in school. I like them, too, they're fun to build, but sometimes daddy just wants the Farnsworth House.

I want a Lego Wittenberg (with a minifig Martin Luther!)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Quick question for anyone here who has the Maersk train or cargo continer set: are the Maersk decals per-printed on the blocks, or are they stickers?

Because I saw those grey blocks and e first thing I thought of was models of various medium-voltage switchgear systems using this blocks. :spergin:

EDIT yes they do use stickers.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 15, 2012

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Ika posted:

Installed LDD the first time yesterday, stayed up till 4 AM designing this:

Its almost as bad as civilization, and combined with bricklink/online PAB will bankrupt me.

Looks like LDD has evolved quite a bit since I last used it. Will want to take a look at it again.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I went and got the Lego Arcitecture Studio kit this afternoon (and the little Minecraft one too to be honest). I haven't bought Lego in years. Right now I'm just organizing it:

Main box: large non-flat bricks
Small rectangle: transparent pieces
Small rectangle: 1xX small parts
Medium box: flat non 1xX non-transparent bricks

The book that came with this is amazing. It's a work of art in itself. I'm going to need to show my coworkers who are architects tomorrow.

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Yeah, LUGBulk is not to be resold. And they have found out about it in the past and thrown a fit about it. AFAIK, anyone can buy a pick-a-brick box. They're usually $75. It's the best way to get bulk brick sometimes. For smaller sizes, it's cheaper than Bricklink and cheaper than LUGBulk.

Four AM. A moonlight field. Two cars pull up and shut their lights off. Dark figures emerge from the vehicles. An aluminum attache case is exchanged and opened. With an approving nod a discreet, unmarked cardboard box is handed over. An aging man reaches in, pulls out a single brick. In the faint glow of a chemlight held by one of his companions he examines it. He rotates it slowly and carefully in his left hand with a micrometer in the right, checking every dimension. His left eye is shut, his right glaring at it through the loupe magnifier on his eye. The numbers on the digital micrometer glow bright red, changing rapidly then slowly as the man makes fine adjustments. In a whisper he mutters numbers. "8.0001... 11.1999... 15.9999." He pauses, he smiles, and finally the old man nods approvingly. Boxes are moved from one vehicle to another and without a single word exchanged the vehicles drive off into the night in opposite directions.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 19, 2013

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

I forgot how much fun you could have with colored lights.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
One downside of the white blocks in the architecture set is that it's a lot harder to photograph. Especially with a beige wall behind and off-white desk below. I had to fiddle a lot with the white balance setting, exposure, and it was difficult for the camera to focus, so I had to do a lot of manual focusing.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

I like clear bricks.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Speaking of Technics - I wanted to build a tiny motor stator and rotor using 3D printing that would be Technics compatible. Problem is I just need to find magnetically soft materials that someone offers 3D printing (laser smelting) of.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

MaliciousOnion posted:

Any chance of this in higher resolution?

Yes, I do have this in higher resolution!

Oh wait, you wanted to see the file. Let me see what I can do.

Problem: IMGUR compresses the living daylights out of file size, even if it's under 1MB it gets squashed to like 350kB.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 24, 2013

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Try this link, it's using this thing called "UltraIMG". Never used it before but it handles files up to 10MB no problem compared to IMGUR that does crap to files that are even under 1MB.

http://www.ultraimg.com/images/tHkUy.jpg

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 24, 2013

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I call this "Tourmaline".

Link to high resolution (3000x2000) with much less compression: http://www.ultraimg.com/images/174cd.jpg

I need to run to Beachwood Place and get another cup of 1x2 transparents. :getin:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 24, 2013

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Hey Foo, I tried installing LDD2POVRay - is that ELDOS "Callback File System" thing legit or safe? That step in the installation gave me some serious pause.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

AzMiLion posted:

Yep, it's legit! the way they hook into everything is a bit weird and has to do with LEGO not being to cool with them completely ripping the models out of LDD itself.

Captain Foo posted:

That kinda makes sense. In other news, I've got another product line I'm working on :getin:

Huh, I'll have to try it. I was able to import a LDD file into some other lego program that was able to export a 3DS file, but only with some of the bricks. The other issue was that the LOD was WAY too high.

I've been using Art of Illusion, it's free and more graphically oriented than POV-Ray.

Ika posted:

I want the technic frames!

I want to fill a swimming pool with them so I can swim... wait that would hurt like hell.

I've got to phone the people who make the "Saw" movies...

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Did a little more photography tonight.

"Miami"

"Evening"

"Rapture"

"July"

These got over-compressed when I exported, I need to fool around with that.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 21, 2013

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
In case your curious - my main tools are a Nikon D5200 DSLR, a tripod, remote trigger, and an Energizer Night Strike flashlight.

I was inspired in part by the photography in some of the old Lego idea books.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
That's pretty impressive.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

The biggest problem was that it took me a few seconds to recognize that.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I am exceedingly jealous of people who are able to get good renders.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Captain Foo posted:

What's the issue you're having?

I couldn't get that software to generate the 3DS files to work - I wasn't able to import them into AOI, it might be more of an AOI issue. Not a big deal.

(Art of Illusion is also awesome and crappy at the same time.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

MichaelFlatley posted:

Speaking of Lego minions, I made this a while ago based on one I found online and reversed engineered. Think it turned out okay.

If anyone wants the LDD file, it's here

Hah! That's great!

I accidentally bought a crapton of the wrong brick at the pick-a-brick. Decided to put it to artistic use anyways.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 11, 2013