Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I just bought and started building the new Y-Wing set. I haven’t touched LEGO in 20 years since I was a child and had a dumb question. Are there occasionally extra pieces in the individual bags? Or will those extra pieces be needed at a later step in the build?

Also, will you occasionally get variance in the colors of the same pieces? I ask this question, as the first bag had two different color and designs of short round 1 pip pieces. There was a lighter piece with a hole in the top pip, and a darker version with a solid top pip. (I hope I am explaining the pieces correctly). The instructions had identical color for all 16 of those pieces, so I just kinda guessed which went where. At this point it shouldn’t matter much, as I am currently building the core of the chassis that will not be very visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Thanks for the information. I noticed the shine icon, but couldn’t figure out what it could mean. I didn’t pick up that those particular 1x1 plates were metallic.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Looks like Amazon has that bucket wheel excavator for $200 right now as well.

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Technic...BsBL&ref=plSrch

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Is there any good storage solutions for the UCS or any other large build sets? I have the current Y-Wing, and I don’t have a good place to display it long term. I am also thinking of getting other sets, as the building is the most enjoyable aspect to me.

Am I just going to be buying a bunch of gallon freezer bags and using those to store broken down sections of item? I doubt I am going to be willing to take the time to sort everything back into the individually numbered groupings. But I do want to be able to rebuild it again at some point in the future.

If it matters, this is my first foray back into LEGO since childhood. So I don’t have any other sets or random bricks yet.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Just do it. Your future self will thank you.

You don't hate your future self, do you?

Treat your future self right.

My current self wants to spend less time breaking the build apart, but there is a point here. It will give me simething different to do when I am on night shift, staying up on my days off.

veni veni veni posted:

breaking it down into the numbered bags is super easy with modern sets because the instructions show you a picture of what each section builds. I.e it'll say bag 5 (which might be 6 actual bags) builds a wing assembly or something. So you can just pull that wing off, take it apart and label the ziplock bag "bag 5" and use it the next time you build it.

The Y-Wing has a couple of layers to each section, so it isn’t quite as clean as this. But I should be able to break it down into groupings if bags 1-3, 4-6, etc.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Dogen posted:

The detail level is def higher than the last system scale T65. I only scrubbed through the video, did they say anything about why the rubber bands in front now as well?

Agreed about the rear, looks a lot better.

When the S-Foils are in attack position, pushing the peg on the bottom causes the wings to snap together. The rubber and on the front is probably to get a smoother action and to prevent too much stress on the rear parts.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Are any of the current Star Wars UCS sets near the end of their availability? I figure I am going to start picking them up, and wonder if there are any I should prioritize before they go out of print.

According to the LEGO website, the TIE fighter is out of print, and Slave 1 is “hard to find”. Amazon still has both of them for MSRP. Should I be prioritizing either of those, or will they be around for awhile still?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

mynnna posted:

I’ve got my Red Five’s X-Wing (10240) and by B-Wing (10227) taken apart and ready to go. Figured I’d offer ‘em up here before going to EBay or whatever. Anyone interested? $200 each, shipping (in the US) included.

Also please tell me if this isn’t kosher :shobon:

Sent a PM about Red-5.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Looking for some advice on filing a claim with the USPS for a LEGO set that lost parts during shipping. The box was clearly water damaged (and arrived wrapped in plastic with their “sorry” note). About half of the set made it to me. The package was insured priority mail.

Will I have any luck requesting the full insured amount? Or am I going to have to come up with a replacement part list/price? Also, and general tips to make the process go as smoothly as possible would be appreciated.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Scipiotik posted:

Sounds like the UCS Snowspeeder is going "retiring soon". Get it if you want it.

Amazon has it on a slight discount for $189. I had been tempted for the past couple of days, but the retired soon pushed me over the edge.

It’s probably a really good thing for my wallet that the most recent UCS sets hold no interest due to their size and cost.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Alpine Mustache posted:

Are the designers going to get anything out of it, other than the "prestige"of being chosen?

10% of sales goes to the designer.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Platystemon posted:

I’m boycotting it because of the red cups.

:sad:

What’s wrong with the red cups? They give at least 1 yellow cup, look at the sign on top of the hut.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Those are all very cool. Are they first come first serve? Or are you going to raffle off the chance to buy one?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I am really hoping that someone buys the Blue Olds soon. I like the looks of it, but I have bought a bunch of LEGO stuff recently, and should give my wallet a breather.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Carbohydrates posted:

+ The new wheel covers that simulate fat racing tires are really cool. The texture isn't a match for tire rubber of course, but the fact that they're black helps mask this a lot. I was surprised to find that 4 of these are included in the set, even though only 2 are used - and it's not one of those "these always come in bundles of 4" situations like with the standard wheel covers. They're packed in with all the other standard parts in the normal numbered bags, and two of them come in bag 1 and the other two come in bag 3, even though they're not used for anything at all.

This could be due to the fact that the real SRT Demon comes from the factory with the wide tires at all four corners. It also comes with 2 of the skinny wheels/tires in a crate of extra parts. The theory is that you swap the front wheels for the skinny wheels, then you have a spare set of wheels and tires for the track.

So with the extra two LEGO pieces, you can decide if you want factory fresh, or track ready.

I really need to get to Target to pick up this kit. Maybe see if I can find a way to make a modern charger out of it. Replicating my 2016 charger for display would be nice.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Looks like Amazon is selling the Large Cloud City playset (75222) for $289, down from $349. Walmart has the same price currently.

Also, Walmart is showing the UCS Y-Wing at $150.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LEGO-Star-Wars-TM-Y-Wing-Starfighter-75181/974128865

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Lol at $249 for the 4x4 Off-Roader at less than 1000 pieces

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/product...PAug_Totebag_NA

I have no idea how much it costs separately, but it appears to include some motors and WiFi controllers. That is probably a decent chunk of the cost of that set.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

a sexual elk posted:

Was able to get the new UCS Y-Wing off Amazon for $150, cause the box was beat to poo poo so they called it “renewed”. Halfway thru the build and this thing is loving dense. Loving it.

I just got back into LEGO last year, mostly UCS stuff, but some other large builds. I started with the Y-Wing and have been working my way backwards. It was a bit of a shock to go from the super chunky and strong Y-Wing (excepting the rear of the engine pods) to stuff like the Red 5 X-Wing or B-Wing which seem really kinda fragile with how some of the things are attached.

Also, I get really annoyed with the common older build instruction of “lay this next piece next to the build without a physical connection until the next step”. I am usually holding on to the current lump I am building, so I am having to bounce back and forth between steps to get the thing built. I am glad they have gone to more flipping stuff over to avoid that.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Found some more leaked info about the upcoming UCS Imperial Star Destroyer. Released mid Sept for VIP, 4.7k pieces, and $699. Some purely baseless speculation is that it might be incorporating lights or motors to account for the low piece per dollar point (especially compared to the Millenium Falcon).

https://brickshow.com/2019/08/next-ucs-lego-star-wars-imperial-star-destroyer-75252

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah it definitely seems like one of those sets that is gonna be huge when you actually see it in person but it doesn't really translate into photos.

Still I'm like, how does this have 1000-1500 more parts than the average SW UCS set because it looks like it's about the same size as most of those.

The LEGO Bugatti Chiron is something like 3500 pieces, so if it is roughly that size, it is quite easy for it to have that many pieces. Given that a large amount of the Bugatti piece count comes from the mostly hidden drivetrain, I expect the Batmobile will have a lot of stuff under the hood.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Hopper posted:

Wasn't it a modified hearse?

The recent ghostbusters had the new crew in a hearse. The 1980s ghostbusters were in a 50s vintage Cadillac ambulance. The teaser for the 2020 ghostbusters shows the tail end of the Cadillac ambulance Ecto 1.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

tuo posted:

Yeah, these. I think I'll have to recount wether I was missing one/lost one. Or my capsule gained weight.

e: assume I somehow lost one/am missing one...

It’s a little hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like you may have the 8 orange pieces needed to make the raft. They should make an octagon, and will just barely fit.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

List of everything retiring at the end of 2019. Time to grab Ninjago City if you haven’t!

Guess I shouldn’t be too surprised, but the Cloud City UCS is getting retired pretty quick.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The fact that a store had the Batmobile would seem to indicate that the announcement and release should be within a week or two. I have been wanting the Bugatti Chiron, but the price point is just a bit high. This might satisfy that desire if it comes in at US$279.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

What would be the best option for a notification on the UCS falcon deal? At $480 I would definitely buy it to build it. (Just have to find a place to actually display it).

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Zodack posted:

Actually just watched the UCS Falcon $479 lightning deal sell out in real time in less than one second after it went live.

I figured that was going to happen, especially when they had announced that it was coming at some point.

I had been checking every so often in the past week, but was of course busy when it actually went live.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

One of us. One of us.

The news of the Amazon deal really got me thinking about the UCS Millennium Falcon. There is now a part of me that really wants a truest epic build. Also, the thought of having the highest piece count set is making me kinda want to buy one now. About the only thing holding me back at this point is trying to figure out how to display the thing.

Some searching has led me to the stands that have it at like a 70 degree angle that could work. How stable are those stands? Anyone know if they put any significant stress on any parts that are likely to fail over time?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

That looks much better than the plexiglass stands that I was finding on google. Looks like eBay has actual Lego sets for that for $80 now. I will have to keep that in mind.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

If I order a back ordered item through the LEGO online shop in the next couple of days, will I still get the gingerbread house freebie? Or do I need to try to track down the set in a physical store to get the gingerbread house.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The LEGO store at Woodfield mall (suburburban Chicago) had at least a dozen mini Batmobiles behind the counter.

Also, finally saw the UCS Star Destroyer, and it is way bigger than the pictures make it look. But being the same color made it look kinda boring. I might just be too used to the Star Wars Armada model that has some discolored panels to break things up a bit.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Nur_Neerg posted:

Looking to dip my toes into Star Wars UCS soon, but don't have a decent space to display the Falcon or the Devastator. From the Y-Wing, Red Five, Snowspeeder, Slave I, Tantive IV; any of those stand out as being particularly better than the others?

Full disclosure, I don’t have the Tantive IV, and I haven’t built my Slave 1 yet. But I have the others you listed, and the Y-Wing is amazing. Tons of greebling, and with the exception of the engine nacelles, it is solid as a brick. I would definitely try to grab that if you can. It had a whole bunch of close out sales recently (down below $150), so you might be able to find one on sale again. Just checked, Amazon has it listed for $196. Might look into grabbing one before they are all gone and you have to pay for shipping from a reseller.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

You could check brickseek to see if any Targets have it listed in inventory.

https://brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker/?sku=204-00-2245

I didn’t see any in the Chicago area.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Carbohydrates posted:

What in particular earns it this distinction? The '89 is my favorite Batmobile, but I didn't really get excited about its set - admittedly, part of that is that it's enormous and I don't have the space.

Also, I finished making step-by-step instructions for my latest 3k piece build, 526 steps across 392 pages, because I'm a masochist*. This is the largest thing I've designed, because I really prefer smaller, detail-dense MOCs that I can build for, like, $40 tops, but I decided to start displaying my cars at LUG events and so I need a proper display.

*or because I find it calming, and an exceptionally good way to suss out potential structural issues with digital models. And also because when my pieces arrive in the mail, it's more fun to build as if it was a real set.

That looks like the start of a really cool looking used car lot.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I would buy the Planet Express ship Day 1 if they release it.

The typewriter and the Chalet look pretty cool.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

For Lego it is just $$$ out the door. Why give free $$$ to people? It's just a matter of time before it goes away.

The question is, how much longer will GWPs stick around? Probably not much longer. If Lego were a US corp this stuff would have been shelved long ago.

The whole point of a VIP system is to help incentivize buying directly from LEGO, thus cutting out the middle man of other retailers. You would think they would want it functional, as a 5-10% rebate on a future purchase has to be less than the cut a retailer takes.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The first episode of LEGO Masters wasn’t nearly as “reality tv” as I feared it would be. The episode felt a little rushed, with 10 teams to introduce, show their builds, and then show the final builds. There wasn’t much time for manufactured drama. There was a little bit of low key drama when some of the teammates butted heads a little. But nothing that you wouldn’t expect from something with time pressure.

It was rather impressive what some of the teams came up with in 15 hours. Some of the teams appeared to be genuinely complimentary towards the really good builds. And everyone seemed genuinely sad when something broke down during the review portion.

Spoilers for episode 2 preview: Episode 2 appears to be the show where they destroy the builds. But it looks like they inform the teams before they start that their builds are going to be creatively destroyed. Hopefully that removes a lot of the problems some people were having with the season previews.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

No idea if you will need a VPN, but the episode is up for free on fox.com right now.

I have also heard that other countries have had LEGO Masters shows, so those might be easier to find.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

All of your MOC cars are amazing. Keep posting them as you keep making them.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Can anyone tell the scale of this Charger compared to the Mustang? If they are close to the same scale, I think having the Charger to display next to my Mustang would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

There's a timing chain on the engine with arrows that shows that it moves.

That is probably supposed to be the belt that runs the supercharger. That will typically poke through the hood of a car if the supercharger is big enough.