Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I recently came across a stash of filthy Kenner Star Wars toys I'm cleaning out and trying to make presentable, which reminded me I have some old Lego sets that I should probably ditch for the sake of not having too many toys I don't need taking up space. I'm not looking to make a ton of money or anything but despite being a very anal kid and having all the boxes/instructions, I seem to be missing parts like the baseplate of a space set and one red rowboat from a pirate set. Is that the kind of thing where it increases the value a lot if I just hunt down the missing pieces online or will collectors still pay a reasonable price knowing they can access any piece themselves to complete it?

Or should I just post detailed info of what I have in the thread and see if any goons want to take everything off my hands so I don't have to deal with ebay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

The Rage posted:

Definitely post it here first

Alright, I'll take stock of what's at my house and what may still be at my parents house, take some photos and get back to the thread when I have everything. Thanks.

Edit: holy crap what have I gotten myself into. Someone on ebay has this 6276 El Dorado set sealed for $1,755? I was ecstatic when my Monorail sold in like 2001 for $30 more than the original sticker price.

Edit: another question: if the glue holding the top flap of the box has dried and come off, is it better for me to try to glue that back on or let collector's handle it with their 3M spray or whatever glue of choice? I know with Star Wars decals people can be finicky about what adhesive to use.

davebo fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 22, 2016

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Electromax posted:

Has it actually sold for anywhere near that, though? Copies on BL that are mostly complete with a box seem to be closer to $100. Maybe they just listed it optimistically due to the seal.

Oh definitely not, I was just surprised someone even listed it for that. And thanks Pyro for the advice. I'll work on getting everything together. In terms of space stuff I definitely have 6955 Space Lock-Up Isolation Base and 6987 Blacktron Message-Intercept Base, but I'm missing a baseplate on that.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Brought the last bit of my old Lego from my parent's house yesterday. I feel dumb as hell because I have the 3 trucks from the old 6393 truck stop set, but not the actual base or structure. Wondered if it's worth recreating the whole thing but I know I'll just end up selling all of this as one big lot to one of you saps or on ebay. I even found bags from sets that came in McDonalds happy meals but not the actual vehicles themselves. Found the box for my sister's old lego train 7722 but hardly any of the pieces. Trying to resist getting sucked back into lego...

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

xzzy posted:

It's pretty funny how the definition of "big set" has changed in my lifetime. I decided to dig my parts collection to see how complete my Beta I Command Base (6970) and this is what I ended up with. It's over 90% complete.. missing parts are a few wings, one plate and a few greebles. Haven't pulled the base plates out of the closet so they aren't here yet.

When I picked up all my old Lego from my parents' house recently I had this one blue gun thing that I remember making as a phaser or something to go as some Star Trek redshirt for halloween one year. I knew it was from some space set but didn't know what until I did an image search on that set you mentioned and found this:

Haha, what the hell even is that thing, some space base monster on ice skates?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Okay I posted about this like 6 months ago and I finally had some time to get some photos together. We're looking to move in the coming months so I'm trying to purge some of my old stuff, including all these Lego sets and miscellaneous vehicles. I've thrown them all into an imgur gallery so if anyone wants to take a look, I mentioned beneath each image if any pieces are missing (or all in some cases where I only have the box.) If a goon wants to lowball me for the whole kitten kaboodle that'd make my life easy, or if someone wants a few pieces that's fine too. If you think it's worth me making an SA mart thread over I can do that, not sure the protocol with stuff like this. Here's a teaser image:

gallery: http://imgur.com/a/9R3jJ

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Pyroclastic posted:

That 1476 5-pack alone is worth $100+ used, and that's with a damaged box.

Most of your stuff is drat good shape. I'd be glad to rip you off insult lowball you $200 for the space stuff, but you'd have to be a really awesome guy to take it.

Well I'm sure with the boxes I could get more on ebay but I'm all about goon love, so if by space stuff you mean the Space lock-up and blacktron sets and what, those 3 space vehicles and the two empty box space bits? Yeah I could do that if you wanted to cover the shipping. Although I should probably give the rest of the thread a day or two to give me a lump sum offer if that's okay.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Hey big thanks to Pyroclastic and Apollodorus for your offers but I ended up finding a goon who wanted everything but the 5-pack so that makes it a lot easier for me.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Geezum crow, I'm glad I never looked at bricklink before selling off those Lego sets. The prices these collectors pay for poo poo with the box is freaking insane. One thing I can't figure out though is why the original space monorail is going for $20. I sold that on ebay in like 2001 for $30 more than whatever the original sticker price was. Did it get reissued and that drives the price way down?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Goons help, I'm confused. I'm getting sucked back into LEGO since we had a kid and my mother in law went nuts buying us some lego sets despite the fact that he's one and a half and still playing with megablocks. She bought us some book store set that says right on the box it's for ages 16+, so obviously it's for my wife and not our son, she just loves buying gifts and we all loved lego as kids. So I thought it'd be a nice family tradition since my uncle always had a train set that went around their tree when it wasn't catching on fire, to pick up that lego holiday train set (10254) which I ordered off ebay but hasn't arrived yet. I checked lego's website and it says I need the IR speed remote control, ir receiver, AAA motor box and train motor. My question is, so I really need all that stuff if I'm not interested in controlling it with a remote? Can I just get the 88000 battery box and 88002 train motor and just flip it on? Or is the remote super cool and worth getting? I wasn't sure what the different controls on it even did, since I just had the monorail as a kid which was just forward/off/reverse controls.

I guess technically this all started last christmas when she got me a bunch of X-Men minifigs off etsy, which prompted me to buy the official blackwing/sentinel set. I can feel myself getting sucked back in. I already ordered some led lighting kit for this train I don't even have yet.

Edit: vv much appreciated!

davebo fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 9, 2020

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Zefiel posted:

It's a real miss to not include a tiny in-scale Falcon to attach to the underside! :colbert:

Get the little Falcon from the 2020 Lego Star Wars advent calendar and see if that scales properly.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I really don't want to just start buying random sets but I'm pretty interested in that treehouse with autumn leaves that's on sale today. And that ship in a bottle too.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
For me I feel like the more custom made pieces there are the less lego-y a set feels, so if most of those clear pieces are actually used as windows in buildings from other sets that's cool. If it was just one big plastic bottle with no seams then that just seems like a plastic bottle. Which... now I'm thinking I never should have sold my old lego pirate ship and just stuck it in one of those jugs from the office water cooler

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
My wife, best friend and I did the holiday train last night while we had Dick Tracy playing on tv. Trying to do lego with two other adults who are worse than you at following the instructions is an exercise in restraint, forcing myself to just not find pieces so everyone gets a chance to participate. It got me excited for whenever I have time to do the Millennium Falcon (not the huge one) on my own where I can focus and speed through at my own pace.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
My wife enjoyed the holiday train so much she told me she went to eBay and bought Santa's workshop. Well gosh that's nice I thought. Except it turns out she paid $250. I found a knock-off for $25. Seems like a huge waste of money when she doesn't care about collecting or resale value. I do hate to support Chinese knockoffs. What do you all usually do when there's a retired set you want? Just buy all the legit pieces individually from bricklink? Does that end up being much cheaper than eBay prices?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

OSU_Matthew posted:

I just buy the bootlego. It’s surprisingly really good and mixes well with lego, and the modulars look great for a fraction of the used prices. Plus there’s a lot of really good sets, like this holiday train or this holiday house I really want

I think I saw that train on aliexpress back when I was looking and thought it was a bootleg of the lego holiday train, but now that we built it I realize how different it is, and that thing comes with a fogger and speaker? Definitely interesting.

I had the space monorail as a kid but my sister had the regular train, and I remember the tracks were spiky, like they had notches in them for traction, and each side of the track joined independently to 8x2 grey bricks. The ones that came with this one are just smooth and are permanently molded to 8x2 sized bricks. My question is when did that shift occur, or are there two types of train tracks going simultaneously now?

I'm interested in that Harry Potter train, not because I care about Harry Potter, I just like that old style of train and it doesn't seem expensive right now. I assume since it's current that it'd work with these smooth tracks I have. Come to think of it, the expansion pack of tracks I had ordered from China haven't come yet, and I'm just assuming those are smooth too. Geez I hope so.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

That change happened ages ago, like late 80s. After that train system was retired, in the 90s there was metal train track that the power went through so you didn't need to put motors on the trains themselves. After that came the current smooth plastic track.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Just finished putting together the Emerald Night train for the christmas tree... going to see if I can adapt the 9v train carriage to the RC platform by powering the coal tender car :q:

Thanks for the info. I do recall my sister's old train taking a 9V battery. So if I understand correctly it was 9V, then powered by metal tracks, then back to 9V with the smooth rails, then switch to this 6 AAA battery pack with the remote control that can handle 4 trains at once? That Emerald Night train looks awesome.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

omg chael crash posted:

I can drop of list of what I have if any Goon is interested in buying at a massive discount but I’ve been wondering how hard it is to sell used set without the boxes? Would I have to separate all the pieces into their original bag numbers? Think I’d rather melt them down instead of ever doing that.

I've just recently been getting back into this hobby and I have a feeling I'm a lot like you, in that I like the building but I don't terribly want a ton of lego sets sitting around my house. I want to build them, enjoy them a bit, take them apart and stash them away for a decade so my toddler son can rebuild them later on. So, I'm not looking to spend a ton on expensive retired sets, but I'm very interested in what you have and would rather save money and buy them in one big bag without the box if it's easiest for shipping.

Edit: tonight I put that led kit on the holiday train and there's just wires everywhere with nowhere to hide the battery pack. Looks drat cool though, I just wish I had bought one for some static building instead of a train.

davebo fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 29, 2020

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

w00tazn posted:

Other than the wires going to the usb plug you should be able to hire wires under bricks and poo poo... just be careful or you can snap a wire or two. Ask me how i know :(

Yeah I hid everything where the instructions told me to under the bricks, I just feel like there's a lot of slack left over right before they're taped up going to the usb port. I'm not sure how long three AA batteries will power all these led's, but since I use rechargeable batteries I'd have gladly sacrificed longevity for a two AA or 2-3 AAA case, with a micro or usb-c connector maybe? Ah well. Just excited to get my big pack of bootleg tracks in at this point.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Carbohydrates posted:

you could use the space to remind people that it's the last day to enter into LEGO's million VIP point giveaway

https://www.lego.com/en-us/vip/rewards-center/rewards

I made a lego.com account because I figured why not, but looking at the rewards what do you all usually use yours on? I can't see myself needing a ticket for Legoland Dubai anytime soon.

Edit: drat I just can't stop legoing! Just bought that stupid AR hidden side train used on ebay just so I can get more train parts. My bootleg tracks came in today so now I've got the beginnings of a proper track layout around the christmas tree. We did the bookshop half of that bookshop set last night.

davebo fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 30, 2020

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I was all about that original Blacktron message intercept base. Between them and the space police jail set I'd root for Blacktron. Of course I'd also volunteer to be Darth Vader when my neighbor and I would play with Star Wars figures so maybe I'm just rotten.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

omg chael crash posted:

Does anyone have tips on selling lego sets? Should I use eBay or something like Bricklink?

I went a bit mad over this pandemic and dove into this hobby headfirst(it’s Veni’s fault) and I have about $3000.00 worth of modulars and Star Wars sets that I’m just tired of looking at. I had a LOT of fun building them, honestly, but I truly don’t care for them as display pieces or part of a collection.

I can drop of list of what I have if any Goon is interested in buying at a massive discount but I’ve been wondering how hard it is to sell used set without the boxes? Would I have to separate all the pieces into their original bag numbers? Think I’d rather melt them down instead of ever doing that.

Literally any tips or advice is appreciated.

Had to go back and find this post because my wife kept asking if "that goon" ever posted their Lego sets available and I forgot which goon it was. We just did that Santa's Workshop she bought and not twenty minutes later she's looking at jacked up prices on the holiday train station on Amazon, so I found an acceptable price on ebay for her. Hey it's her money she can do what she wants, but I'd rather buy used sets in one big bag because these sub-1000 piece sets go way too quickly with three people working on them. Make me spend some time looking for the pieces dammit!

So yeah, just let us know once you've got a list ready. She has the library modular and greatly wants to expand.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

omg chael crash posted:

Let me know if anyone wants anything at a pretty good goon discount. The only boxes I have are the two modulars and the batmobile. I’ll list out the actual set numbers tomorrow but everything was purchased this year from Amazon/Target/Lego store
We'd love the modular square but I understand if you want to get top dollar on eBay for that since you have the box.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

omg chael crash posted:

It’s yours, friend

Awesome. I don't see PM's on your account so just let me know once you're ready for stuff or are you posting in SA mart or something? I dunno. If you need to reach me I'm davebo357 at the gmail.

Got some extra tracks today to expand the tracks around our christmas tree. Really looking forward to that knock-off power motor with remote arriving someday. Was getting impatient and for some reason they're all way cheaper on lego.com than I've seen on ebay but the IR receiver hasn't been in stock for a week. I don't suppose anyone knows offhand, would the official 4-channel IR remote and receiver be compatible with the same 4 channels of bootleg units?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Well hell I want stuff to build and if I ever get tired of looking at them in my home office that's just a man cave already filled with Star Wars toys I can always sell them again, so mark me down for Slave One and Tantive IV too. I'd take the AT-AT but I already have the original Kenner and the more recent Kenner one too and my wife would kill me if we became a three AT-AT house.

I normally ship ebay stuff through USPS. Although one time it was a box with dimensions such that I knew I'd get a cheaper price through UPS, even though the lady said "UPS will charge you more" but no it was less. So I guess the answer is "it depends."

Edit: well forget Slave One then, just the tantive

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

FYI showing your last photo to my wife is why I had to buy the assembly square asap from chael. After the train I'm not eager to do another lighting setup, but maybe next christmas. Good job.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Feenix posted:

I mean this cost me like 40/50 bucks on Amazon and brickloot. But it’s just generic downlights and 5 street lamps.

I actually have questions about the lights. I have the holiday train light kit which has a box to house three AA batteries, and I assume some tiny controlling board to make sure the white led's stay on and the colored ones blink over the usb connector that plugs into it. Is yours the same way for each modular set? Or since it's a city scene and not christmas-specific and there's nothing blinking, can you plug everything into one USB hub on AC power and run it that way? I have no idea if they just use the standard power of USB ports, or if they're using the USB port form factor just for convenience, and custom wiring each connector to supply power. Don't want to just plug mine into one and have it fry. The instructions I think did mention to give it no more than 5V, but I think most fast-charging usb adapters are 2.4, so I wonder if that's even sufficient.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Wow, thanks for this effort post. My kit is Lightailing and even though it saved me some money, I'm definitely jealous of the one I see on that lightmybricks site since it just runs right off the power functions battery pack. I assume those connectors are stackable so you could still have the train motor, light kit and IR receiver all running off it. Eventually I might get that one if I figure out a way to use this for Santa's Workshop or some other set that doesn't move.

Edit: Page sniped. Here, have a photo of the X-Men bootlegs my mother-in-law gave me last christmas that restarted this hobby for us.

davebo fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 5, 2020

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

The Bloop posted:

Wolverine appears in your collection in almost as high a percentage as he appears in various marvel comics

It may have something to do with us naming her grandson Logan.

Just finished the holiday train station. This is everything from the past week and a half.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
As someone still new to this, what kind of fluctuations do you usually see on the lego.com store? I had four power function components on my wish list and the only thing out of stock was the IR receiver, and was gonna wait until all four were in stock before ordering. But then the battery box went out of stock, and now the remote is out. Wondering if individual things normally come in and out all the time, or do you find that a bunch of stuff all resupply at once?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Why can’t lego keep up with demand during this totally normal year. I really hope they “get their act together”

I don't want to make it seem like I'm complaining or even particularly frustrated with their stock, just curious what "normal" usually is and what to expect, so thanks you Oxy and Waltzing for the info. I guess my only frustration is that out of the three items I ordered from Ali, the motor functions for the train is the only one taking forever but also the most necessary. It was nice having all the expansion tracks arrive first, but they're just so brittle compared to authentic Lego ones that I ended up getting a small set of Lego ones and will stick to those in the future. I love those short pieces that swivel so you can have a little leeway when trackbuilding.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Yeah I've been buying sets, following the instructions to build them then that's it. Wanted something to just mess around with. So I ordered a buy 4 pounds, get two pounds free that should come soon. Interested to see what something like that gets me. If I get the kinds of pieces that could help me make an extra train car to hide a battery pack that'd be great.

What's the best way to sanitize six pounds of Lego?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
What do you all use to dust your Lego sets?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Literally A Person posted:

Pillowcase and washing machine on delicate/cold so long as you're not putting in transparent pieces.

They just arrived and out of curiosity, what's the concern with transparent pieces? Do they just discolored in the wash or just scratched up? If they get scratched, how is it all the regular colors don't get scratched?

Edit: Hey you know what's gross? Cleaning hairs and green crud out of used power function train motor wheels.

davebo fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 14, 2020

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

Other pieces can get scratched, but it's not such a big deal because they are opaque. A clear piece that is all scratched up isn't all that clear anymore.

But, ideally I wouldn't want to scratch up any pieces? I mean I guess these are just for fun and aren't worth the effort cleaning by hand, but I don't particularly want to take pieces in decent shape and scratch them up if they aren't particularly dirty (not like those train wheels ugh) to start with.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
With all the train motor/ir receiver/remote stuff listed as retiring soon, how will trains be powered moving forward? One of the technic motors that just rotates a peg linked to lego pieces that then spin the wheels, with the only control being via the Bluetooth app, or is there some standalone controller for those? I think that's how that crocodile train moves but haven't seen exactly how the mechanism works.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Digital War posted:

Power Functions is being retired. Powered Up is the replacement system that is currently used in Lego City Trains. They're pretty similar, but not cross compatible:
https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/train-motor-88011

When you say not compatible, it's just the plug on the end that's different? Size wise it seems identical. I'm assuming this has a lot more applications for technic stuff that called for a change in design, because from a train perspective it seems like just a way to sell a way more expensive battery box with bluetooth? Or at least a box that's as expensive as the previous box, plus ir receiver and remote controller, but now you need to use a phone.

Edit: Oof, the user reviews for that battery box on lego.com are pretty bad.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

xzzy posted:

Well those folks probably have a ton of money sunk into their power functions, anything that forces them to change is going to be really annoying and probably end up being hated. Even if the new version is objectively superior (which it may not be, I assume lego doesn't launch garbage but I haven't researched the new style).

Just from reading all the reviews on lego's website, main complaint is this battery pack requiring a teeny tiny screwdriver to open two screws, which I consider a wearable item, to replace batteries which get drained way faster than previously which I assume is due to bluetooth instead of a simple IR receiver? Also the new pack has two ports as opposed to the old one which you could keep daisy chaining things upwards if you wanted to add lights or a second motor. No extension cord or rechargeable pack available (yet.)

Might have benefits for technic stuff I'm not familiar with but seems like a step backwards just for train purposes. Guess I dodged a bullet because I didn't know about any of this stuff when I ordered the knock-offs or all the used bits from bricklink. Watching the post every day for this stuff to arrive though. Want to impress my toddler with actual moving choo-choos.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

I just finished Assembly Square, my first modular.

I enjoyed it and there are loads of lovely details but I have to be honest I was surprised that there's no back wall and roof on the top floor of one of the buildings. It feels a little unfinished to me, and frankly a little hidden in the box photos!

Am I alone in thinking this looks a little weird given how complete everything else is in the set?

Yeah, we're just starting the second level of assembly square now and I had no idea. I didn't realize the top was open, which is fine if it were a patio type deal, but how many patios have a stove like that?

Finished the Tantive IV on my own and boy that's a lot of building the same booster engine. Looks nice though. I'd have never gotten it if not for a generous goon discount, and buying it used forced me to single bag it which enjoyably extends the process. I can't imagine how quickly I'd have whipped through that if the different sections were bagged up.

Alternatively, single bagging the assembly square is driving me nuts, because there are three of us doing that together and I got the seat farthest from all the pieces, so it's breaking my back trying to hover over the table looking through all this, which forces me to give up and drink more beer which is its own reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Takes me back. I guess I had the original monorail and one box of expansion track and I loved just watching that thing go around. You've got me thinking that I definitely need to elevate the regular train tracks to recreate that feel.