Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Sham I Am posted:

I am curious as to how much you guys tend to spend on this hobby a year?

Brickset.com puts my collection total at $2278. I added most of the Lego sets I had as a kid but I might have missed a few. I've also picked up several hundred dollars in brick link orders and ebay/garage sale stuff over the past few years.

I'd put my total collection at closer to $2600. Of that, probably $1350 is Lego I've purchased in the past 2-3 years since I got back into the hobby.

My interest in Lego comes and goes now but I see myself easily spending $500 a year right now.

If I could afford it I would be spending a lot more. A LOT more. I usually have to put my Lego purchases in perspective with how much money I make an hour. So I'll tell myself, "well, I'd like to buy this $100 Lego set but is it worth having to work an entire day for it?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Ularg posted:

Help me goons, how did you learn to lego?

I used to be really creative as a kid playing with Lego, nowadays not so much.

The best way I've found to spark creativity is to go through https://www.brickset.com and find a set you want to model one after. Then try to re-build the set but with your own touches, improvements, and designs. I've "reimagined" several official sets in the past year.

Another idea is the Eurobricks forum contests. Find a sub-forum that you enjoy, such as pirates, city, or space, and read the stickied contest threads. Even if you don't want to participate, or the contest is over, the guidelines give you some ground rules to follow. For instance, a small category might be 8x8 studs and you can only build within those confines. Sometimes defining some boundaries can help spark creativity because our adult minds are so used to boundaries that our child minds didn't have.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

You should consider picking up its predecessor on Bricklink or something:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=10199-1

You can get 'em for only $15 to $20 more than their original price, which is kind of funny - they ran short of the demand for the set around Christmas, presumably because scalpers were buying them up in bulk, and now they've only raised in value by $15 or so due to there being SO MANY available now on the secondary market. There's one guy on BL with 30 of these things.

I did this. I finally decided to try getting in on that scalping thing and picked up 3 of those Winter Toy Shops. Now that I see tons available, I'm thinking I picked the wrong set to try this out on. I am going to try to ebay them this winter, but if I can't get at least $100 each then I'll just hold on to them for another year or two.

As far as short demand, my local Lego Store simply had boxes upon boxes of the Winter Toy Shop even up to a week before Christmas. It didn't seem to be a very hot set at the time and I guess that is showing in the second hand market.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 22, 2010

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Katana Gomai posted:

Well it's at least all Lego stores here in Germany and since advent calendars "expire" everywhere around the world at the same time...give your store a call, and hurry up because we sold a ridiculous amount of them today.

All I know is that I spent half of last Saturday checking out 9 different stores including a Lego store and was unable to find an Advent calendar.

Although a quick trip to Bricklink solved my problem and made me wonder why I even bother going to actual stores anymore.

Edit - And for the record, I just have to add that I have never seen any of those Lego minifigures you guys talk about. Not once. Either they're never in the main lego aisles, or there is just not a single store in the greater chicago area that carries them.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Anyone else a little disappointed with this years City Advent Calendar? I won't spoil it for anyone that hasn't finished it yet, I just appreciated the outdoors theme of last years instead of the indoors theme this year.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Guzwar posted:

If only they could make an equally impressive Pirate ship.

The Black Seas Barracuda has already been done.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

This sale has been around for a week or two now, but I just found it and I'm now the proud (and broke) owner of two of these bad boys.

$104.99 at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004P95ABG/ref%3Dnosim/water70e-20

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

I have a completely mint new in box lego set from last year that I was hanging on to. Can I get away with exchanging it for store credit (no receipt) at a Lego store? They wouldn't know it was over a year old, would they? It's a set that they're currently still selling and have a bunch of.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Merchant of Death posted:

I would like to see two lines at a time, maybe 3 like we had back in the day with space police, blacktron, futuron but as long as we have 2-5 different licenced stuff going on at once I doubt we will see 3 different space themes at once :(

I think most of the themed sets today are actually like 2 in 1. Take for example Space Police 3 which was really a combination of Space Police and Space Criminals (Blacktron 3?). I would much prefer the actual fleshed out disparate lines we had back when Space Police and Blacktron were entirely separate, but I'm sure it's a money reason nowadays.

I didn't like Space Police 3 at first but the whole series grew on me, except for the "bad guys." Brick Daddy and his space limo didn't do it for me, but the Galactic Enforcer... Hell yeah.

Alien Conquest was close, but didn't make the cut for me either. The only set in that line salvageable in my opinion was the Earth Defense HQ.

What I would give for another Futuron, M:Tron, or Blacktron II line...

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Pirate Ken posted:

It is weird to compare stuff like Ice Planet 2002, which did not have any enemies, to any theme today that always has an enemy. Even city police! It was only a few years ago that a prisoner aspect came around.

This is really interesting as I hadn't thought about it until now. I always disliked the battle in a box because instead of one great model we end up with two average models (like Space Police 3 Hyperspeed Pursuit).

Ice Planet was one of, if not my favorite space theme growing up (I can't believe I forgot about it when mentioning Futuron and Blacktron). I never once felt like I was lacking anything by not having an "enemy" to stimulate my imagination. Hell, I wasn't even thinking of a conflict with my lego sets. Even early city police sets, like Pier Police (http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=6540-1) that I loved to death had no conflict at all.

Ice Planet was just awesome hard-as-nails dudes (and chicks) toughening it out on a frozen wasteland to mine some space crystals or whatever. poo poo yeah, sign me up!

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Jut posted:

Every now and again over the last 4 years I've wheeled out the containers and tried to do more sorting. Today I tried again and still am barely half way through sorting this.

Sorting my legos was the most excrutiating on-and-off 3 week task I've ever committed myself to.

When I finally finished sorting everything, down to the very last 1x1 plate, I went to town building all kinds of old models I had and with ease because I knew where everything was.

Then I moved, and threw/dismantled all the models into a big bin. Now I'm back to square one.

I don't think it's worth sorting them at all anymore, I just dump the huge bin over my entire floor when I build.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Jut posted:

Sucks if your not into the licensed themes. I skipped on Pirates of the Caribbean, Harry Potter and I'll be skipping on LotR too :( Still bitter about the Pirates of the C theme, I would have loved more Pirates.

Yeah, I'm the same. None of the licensed themes or sets, save for a few Star Wars models, are of any interest to me. I'm surprised they are so well received by AFOL considering all the traditional themes and sets we lose out on. I never considered myself a City theme guy, but considering it's one of the only traditional Lego themes left, I find myself buying more of them than I ever did.

Queen Anne's Revenge is the only set worth getting in the PotC line. Considering their newest Pirates line was largely trash, I'm not surprised it went away. It always shocks me that they can revitalize a series like Space Police 3 but then completely dump on something as cherished as the Pirates line.

What I'm trying to say is, it frustrates me that more people don't walk through the Lego aisle and lose a little more faith in the products future when all you see are Harry Potter, Pirates of the Caribbean, Ninjago (??), Heroes Factory or whatever, etc. Atlantis was a dud for me, Power Miners was complete trash. From 2010 to 2011, my Lego spending dropped by something like 200% because there's nothing interesting to me, and I don't know what to look forward to. I couldn't be less interested in LOTR. I want more space, pirates, and castle.

On the other hand, there are still plenty of awesome models and sets you can get at a Lego store - just that the retail end of Lego is pretty much trash.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 19, 2011

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Time Cowboy posted:

Power Miners and Atlantis weren't bad if you could get them on sale. The price per part markups were just too steep -- as a set, 8708 looked awesome, but $50 for 259 pieces is absurd.

I wonder if that had to do with all the new pieces they had to mold and print for those sets. Pirates suffered the same problem but maybe to a lesser extent, for instance, Soldiers' Fort. (http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=6242-1) $49.99 and 367 pieces.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

This is pretty drat awesome right here.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Sockser posted:

What I thought then:

What I think now:

We need more of these posts. I'll start.

What I thought then:
Holy jeez, this set is huge. It has all kinds of cool stuff, a satellite launching system and loading dock, a command center, cool little snow vehicles. Best Christmas gift my 11 year old self could receive.

What I think now:
At 343 pieces, it's relatively small now. The base is extremely simplistic with only the window panels making it appear larger. Still, far better than the spyrius base. The "command center" is very sparsely detailed and they could've done a lot more with the base plate. Also, don't these people get cold from having no enclosed areas to warm up in? Where do they go to the bathroom?

The Shep fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 1, 2012

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Manchild King posted:

I challenge you to find a theme worse than Time Cruisers. It has also helped me realise how uncritical I was as a kid. I literally believed Lego could do no wrong.

Sir, I accept your challenge. :tipshat:

1997's Town theme is pretty terrible all around. While it's not the mindfuck that Time Cruisers was, it's literally Lego at its laziest.

Just look at the lazy, half-finished, simplistic pieces of crap taking a brickshit all over the most traditional theme in history. Compare that lovely "gas station" to something iconic like the Gas N' Wash Express, or that lovely recycling truck to the many iterations of work trucks we've had.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Indeed, the City Advent Calendar had a fireplace last year that used the plume as fire thing. Incidentally, that was a much more 'christmassy' advent calendar than this year's cops and robbers themed one.

Let's just all agree that this years city advent calendar was complete poo poo and move on with our lives.

I'm still sour on that abomination.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

You guys keep saying that in the past, Lego was genderless. I just don't see original castle, pirates, and space as genderless. Yes, certainly more genderless than star wars, but still more of a "boys toy".

What about the Harry Potter line? To me, Harry Potter is only a step below the Twilight series, and I don't know any boys who would be excited to play with a Harry Potter set. Did that line ever take off with girls? The Harry Potter series strikes me as a female series in the traditional Lego sense, until you get to the obviously female like Friends and Belville.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

kopiko posted:

I'm not sure about space though, but I think the first female space minifig is from the Ice Planet series in 1993.

Space babe = Best babe

http://www.brickset.com/minifigs/?m=sp017

edit - And yes, that's the first female space minifig. Though I thought I recalled a Space Police II female, brickset is telling me otherwise.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 5, 2012

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Daisyvondoom posted:

Why is it that when people make MOC's of space ships and what-not it's all smoooth plating and looks great, but when THE LEGO GROUP puts out a set it's all studs exposed all over the place.

Not true. Space Police 3 was pretty drat sleek, given the parts limitation and price points they have to work within.

MOC designers don't have to build to a $9.99, $19.99, $29.99, $49.99, and $99.99 budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Well Manicured Man posted:

I decided to make another MOC in LDD today.

I love this thing. Can you post a breakdown of the cockpit? I need a primer on SNOT techniques.