Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Hi, is there any particular etiquette for selling some Lego kits here? I have quite a few that I simply don't have space to ever build, so I'm looking to sell them, and I figured I'd try here before I went to eBay. Once the boxed ones are out of the way I have quite a few open, complete kits (mostly Star Wars) that I'd like to sell too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Alright, I based these prices on an average from the Bricklink price guides, with a 5/4/1 min/avg/max weighting in favor of the minimums, so most are below average price.

I'm also open to offers.

All sets are new in box.

The Y-Wing, Republic Cruiser, and AAT are actually on eBay right now with no interest, so if anyone wants one of those I'll have to check and cancel the auction if there are still no bids, which I'm fine with doing.

Star Wars 4-5-6:
6212 X-Wing $115
7658 Y-Wing Fighter $105*
7667 Imperial Dropship $35
7668 Rebel Scout Speeder $45

Star Wars Other:
7654 Droids Battle Pack $40
7655 Clone Troopers Battle Pack $50
7665 Republic Cruiser (Limited Edition With R2-R7) $320*
7674 V-19 Torrent $135
7656 General Grievous Starfighter $65
7914 Mandalorian Battle Pack $30
8014 Clone Walker Battle Pack $40
8018 Armored Assault Tank (Clone Wars Blue) $135*
10215 Ultimate Collector's Series Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter $265

Space Police:
5972 Space Police Space Truck Getaway $40
5974 Space Police Galactic Enforcer $130
5982 Space Police Smash 'n' Grab $35

Bionicle:
8954 Bionicle Mazeka $60
8996 Bionicle Skorpio XV-1 $125

Creator and Other:
4996 Creator Beach House $100
5868 Creator Ferocious Creatures (Alligator) $85
7036 Dwarves' Mine $165
7620 Indiana Jones Motorcyle Chase $90
7978 Atlantis Angler Attack $50
10199 Creator Winter Toy Shop $180
76026 Gorilla Grodd Goes Bananas $65

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I'll spend a bit of time tomorrow going through sold eBay listings and adjust. Thanks!

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Does anyone know of a store/site that deals in non-Lego parts? I've lost one piece to a late 00s Mega Bloks Gundam and I'd love to replace it. It's just a small gray cylinder but the gray they used in those doesn't match their ProBuilder or Halo grays.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

MarxCarl posted:

Have you tried Mega directly
https://support.megabrands.com/en-us/

There’s also the Bloks Forum and they may know https://bloksforum.freeforums.net

This is their parts listing for the Gundam
https://bloksforum.freeforums.net/thread/3245/4501-gundam-rx-78-2007

Thanks! Hadn't stumbled across Bloks Forum I'll give them a shot. I contacted Mega a bit ago and while they did reply quickly, they didn't have parts for older sets.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Carbohydrates posted:

Ninjago City is the easy winner for me. The level of detail, the value, the minifig selection, and just the subject matter are outstanding. I never thought we'd see an official LEGO cyberpunk city. Plus, all the features. The modularity is super fun (plus I love that everything is properly connected for minifigs to traverse it). The crab cooker and ATM are both super clever and unique. The sushi conveyor, elevator, and movie poster features are less interesting but still work great and add a lot of life and believability to it all. It's also a really fun build, especially once you get past the water tiles!

I really really wish I had gotten Ninjago City and the Docks back when they were available.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I really want Lego to make an Ancient Aliens theme, it can be like their old Adventurers theme and go all over the world, but with aliens. They haven't done a proper sci-fi theme in a few years anyway.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Time Cowboy posted:

I’ve had that issue with wedges (and minifig torsos, heads, and even some regular bricks) cracking since 2015 or so. Seems less common now, but for a while in the mid-‘10s, any set I got would crack within a few weeks of being together.

I've broken two pieces in the last few years - one a blue version of that 2x4 piece that has a 2x2 center and then two wedge rising sides with 1x2 edges, and one a blue technic pin of the type that has a stud on the side. The larger piece I admittedly stepped on, but the technic pin just disintegrated when I punched it out of its hole.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

So a bit late to the Space Racer thing, but here's a ship I built a few weeks ago during the height of the mania and then never posted... this ship is cobbled together from 20th century truck parts and ancient alien technology, and goes super fast since it has lots of pyramids and blue lights:

I decided it needed a base, so I made this for it (I've been waiting on the baseplate to arrive):

Here's the 'cast' of the racer and base:

And that skeleton guy on the right, that's not in the other shots, he has his own terrible vehicle built from some remaining pieces:

I don't really have names for these guys... 95% of the parts come from 7622, 7624, 7307, 7325, 5969, 5618, and 7040 plus a few random minifig parts I had around. I sold most of my (mostly Star Wars) Lego years ago and just recently started building again thanks to this thread.

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 20, 2020

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

So when I was a kid I had a lot of Lego, a mixture of city and classic space, one or two small forest-people themed sets, and some Technic from the early 90s. The last Lego set I remember getting was a yellow submarine. None of this was especially well cared for - pieces got lost and broken, and everything was stored together in one big bin. At some point maybe 20 years ago 50% or more of this bin was randomly separated and sent to my older brother for his children (including apparently all of the intact minifigures). Last week I dug out what was left of the bin at my Mom's house, and started digging through it, hoping to find a full set of parts for... anything.

No luck.

Lots and lots of great parts though. While I was looking for set of wheels I started sticking wheels to bricks alternating-like, and ended up with a stick with a lot of wheels. Before I knew what I was doing, the stick had a cockpit, and then I took some of it apart to make all the bricks red.

Then this happened:

I think I spent at least 4 hours making sure I got every wheel out of that bin.

Cockpits from Futuron:

Weapons and flight functions courtesy of Blacktron:

Power systems and engineering from M-Tron:

These were the only 4 minifigures I could cobble together from parts:

The M-Tron Veteran lost his hands, feet, and scalp in a vicious battle with a space-dog but is still the best pilot in the sector.
Star Peasant keeps the engines running.
That French Guy handles main weapon systems, and Future Diver mans the 360 degree railgun turret.

Here's one last shot of science gone too far:

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

veni veni veni posted:

It’s delightfully gratuitous.

Thanks! I think that's probably the best that can be said for it.

Literally A Person posted:

This is exactly the words. I love it.

I am irrationally proud of this stupid thing though, must be all the wheels.

Oxyclean posted:

The more wheels = more betterer design school.

I think it has 65 wheels!

Waltzing Along posted:

The long lost, unreleased, time cruisers set.

I had to look these up on Bricklink. They're uh, something. I do sort of like the Flying Time Vessel, and I love the idea of the Mystic Mountain Time lab, although I'm not crazy about the execution.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

That's incredible. The shot of the crew with the pilot just lying on the ground is hilarious. My inner kid is a little jealous of how many wheels you shoved in there!

I had a really crappy situation at work this week and today I took some time to just sit and work on another spaceship and it was very therapeutic. Thanks, you nerds, for motivating me to start building again. It's been very good for me. You're good people.

I've kind of been the same the past few weeks. I originally got out the parts I had at home with intention of trying to complete and sell the Indiana Jones sets, but I'd been looking at the Space Racers here and decided I'd build a spaceship instead, and I've felt some bit better ever since.

Time Cowboy posted:

If this had been a Time Cruisers set, the line would be remembered as one of Lego’s best.

I feel like Time Cruisers is due for a remake with some effort, and maybe more ancient aliens.

Chris Knight posted:

Immortan Joe would be proud.

Thanks!

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Looking at Time Cruisers makes me wonder - why has there never been a Lego Ideas submission for the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?

I'm not good enough do build it myself, nor do I have the parts (and I haven't tried Studio yet), but someone ought to do that. It's obviously a 3-in-1 set with alternate builds for car, plane, and boat modes.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Wow, that's amazing! I hope it gets approved.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

So how frequently does Lego release new sets? Should we expect another batch of new stuff before Christmas?

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

... everything else was knocked back.

Do the ideas that weren't selected ever come up for review again?

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Literally A Person posted:

So what's up with the Friends stuff? There are a lot of cool lookin' pieces in neato colors. Is there a reason I shouldn't be buying these???

I really want some of those Friends jungle sets. Also they have the best submarine right now.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

They're about the same scale though, right? Like there wouldn't be a problem just replacing them with minifigs that suit their sets?

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

So I just installed Studio, and I'm trying to build some existing sets to figure out how it works. I figured out how to import a set, but how do I get instructions for it?

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Carbohydrates posted:

Just google "[set name/number] instructions" and you'll find a lot of sites that host them. Or, go to Brickset and look up the set there - they aggregate the places that host instructions for sets, too.

Brickset is great, thanks!

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Prophet of Nixon posted:

Brickset is great, thanks!

Well, after cussing at the tutorial and cussing at a little polybag kit, I've moved on and made some progress with Studio (no hood for the cobra unfortunately):

I might start re-creating one of my things in there tonight.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

So I was making some ladybugs in Studio, and really hit a wall trying to figure out how to make the shell for the 'realistic' one. I wanted to surround the shell with faceted plates on angles, as opposed to the stacking method I used on the smaller one.

Is there any best practice or method for designing a shell of plates like I was trying to do there? The gaps are huge and more importantly I can't think of a way to fasten the different parts together when they meet at the top.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

The_Doctor posted:

Got a link?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DVVKDF4

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

kensei posted:

I still bought one just so I can finally get a ComicCon set.

E: They are all gone now

I was considering getting one but just didn't like it enough after I saw it. The vehicle is blah and the Taskmaster minifigure is terrible.

Is the part being used for the vehicle mirrors a minifigure-scale paint roller?

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 29, 2020

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Sloppy posted:

Because they were poo poo quality and were blatantly ripping off the greatest toy of all time. Are you seriously defending them? lol

Edit: when I pick mega blocks out of Lego piles I feel guilty donating them to thrift stores because some grandma is going to give a kid a real bad day so often just trash them

I have a ziploc bag full of Tyco blocks from the 80s that I've sorted out of mixed Lego, which are pretty good quality but have a different plate thickness from Lego. Always meant to put them on ebay or something, surely someone out there has Tyco blocks and would like some more?

Mega has always been hit or miss, their Pro Builder stuff from the early 2000s is really nice, but by the time of the early Halo sets (e.g. Halo Wars around 2010?) they no longer had any grip strength and didn't feel as nice. Haven't messed with any newer ones.

I used to not be a 'purist' but I've kind of become one over time. I still have one Mega Gundam though.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Carbohydrates posted:

Second, the windmill has some functions! It can rotate freely, the vane can turn 90 degrees to act as a brake, and there's a cam so that when the blades spin, it simulates pumping water at the base.

This is all astonishing but I'm in awe of that windmill construction and the clever ways you made all of its angles! Also amazing use of color!

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Did anyone get one of those Ikea BYGGLEK sets? I couldn't find any of the storage boxes, but the set is wonderful and I've been rebuilding it into stuff all week. It's a really neat subset of Lego with a nice palette and a restrained but versatile part variety. I've been going back and forth between Studio and the physical set refining things (and also to make renders before I take things apart). Here are some of my favorites:

Sailboat

Rocket

House

Animals and a small waterfall, the brown ones are supposed to be nutria

Ancient tree and raised pond (this can attach to the house and the previous waterfall)

Ornate arch and water garden (this can attach to the house and the previous ancient tree)

Still messing with the set... I have another raised pond piece that fully encloses it and builds onto the house compound a little, and a fancy raised fountain, but I'm not totally happy with those yet, and don't know what I'm gonna try after.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Brawnfire posted:

Wanted to make a colorful spaceship

I call it "The Motley"

Love it! More spaceships should be gold, damned aliens took it all anyway.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Blue Moonlight posted:

You should do what’s right for you.

But, what I will point out is this - it’s not the worst thing in the world to get your name in their hiring system, make a good impression with recruiters, etc. Just because this might not be the right opportunity doesn’t mean they won’t have a better fit in the future, or even have one waiting in the wings for the right person.

Just the chance to have someone inside Lego really look at your portfolio could be a great opportunity, job or no job! Who knows what could come of it?

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Just sent you an order for the Council of Elrond, thanks!

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, and it was one person saying 9am. But when I think about it, I'm sure I've seen early access stuff sold at 12am est.

LIVE RIGHT NOW 3:58 AM EST!

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

So here's something that's been puzzling me tonight - if anyone remembers the recent holiday catalog, there was a build on the cover of a parrot, panda, and elephant. I really, really like the parrot, and decided tonight to try and figure out how it works. Most of it seems reasonably straightforward (and probably has multiple solutions), but two things are bugging me.

First, the best pic of the parrot I can find - extracted from the PDF on the lego site:

So that eye looks like a printed 3x3 tile, and that tile doesn't seem to exist. Not the end of the world, 67095pb001 would be a good substitute for it, but am I missing that somewhere?

But the real puzzle is the black beak - it's several parts, and I'm almost 100% certain that the bulk of it is 47755 with 93606 in the middle. But what are the two bits to the left and right of that? I've looked through all the wedges and slopes and even weird stuff like horns and teeth but nothing fits in the curve.

This bit:

Any thoughts?

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Blue Moonlight posted:

I’ll leave the beak to someone more creative than I, but I think the eye really is a 2x2, specifically this one.

Speaking of that cover, I might be a hero with my wife if anyone has instructions for the elephant.

That looks like the exact eye, thanks! Not sure why I convinced myself it had to be a 3x3.

The elephant looks crazy complicated and also huge, but it's also really cool.

Working on the wings right now.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

xzzy posted:

I'm probably wrong but am probably close!

(part list: 47755, 93606, 51739, 3022, 41770, 41769)

That was it, thanks! I added a 1x2 3023 in the remaining gap and it looks perfect.

Working out the front and beginning of the sides, wings came together nicely. Probably won't finish tonight though.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Well, here's where I've made it to so far, 95% of the visible parrot. Gonna have to improvise to finish the rear body and tail, and not sure where and how I'm going to attach the wings yet.

I think it's solid so far, though I will probably have to take a pass over it for color availability (I'm using Rust, Dark Azure, Bright Light Orange, Bright Green, and some Very Light Bluish Grey right now since I like how they look in the editor).

(edit) Fixed my eye alignment since rendering that, and the 'shoulder' plating under the head.

Bonus BYGGLEK parrot I made yesterday that started me down this path:

Thanks xzzy, Blue Moonlight, Oxyclean, and M&Ms for the input, it helped a lot! Will keep messing with this tomorrow.

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 15, 2021

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Lizard Combatant posted:

Nice work! You're going to struggle to get a fraction of the pieces in those colours though. But forget using rust, there are zero pieces for it. Just use red, it's the same.

First thing I did tonight was fix all my crazy colors, now it's just red, blue, green, orange, black, white, and yellow, with a few other colors inside for some parts. I think it's 100% buildable now.

Made a back and sides that I think work with what was in the photo, and spent a long time trying to attach the wings. Finally settled on a turntable at the shoulder with one more stud slope to set the angle. The angle I have them at right now isn't 100% correct, but moving the stud slope should make a few other similar angles possible.

Here's the final build from two angles:

And here's what's going on on the side, under the wing:

Sorry about the dark renders, the renderer is being irritable tonight for some reason.

I guess my next move is to organize all the parts to make instructions possible.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Blue Moonlight posted:

Speaking of that cover, I might be a hero with my wife if anyone has instructions for the elephant.

It might be next month at this point, but if nobody else has started it I'm gonna try to figure that elephant out next.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I spent a vote on Rock Raiders, I just found out about them recently but I love the chunky hard sci-fi aesthetic to the larger sets, almost like they'd be right at home in Starship Troopers or something. The vehicles weren't just designed to be sat in, they were designed to be climbed around and maintenanced. The weird color scheme somehow works and would be enhanced with a little use of some more modern colors (newer light orange and blue shades in particular).

I can't see why they weren't considered part of Space, they're clearly meant to be asteroid miners.

Also voted Paradisa and M-Tron but wrote in Islanders.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Captain Duvel posted:

I remember looking at all those in the catalog as a kid and seeing how "expensive" they were then and knowing I couldn't get them.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

mitochondritom posted:

Dragon Fortress has a similar (same?) baseplate to the ones above. I have never managed to come up with anything to use it for, but have dutifully awkwardly carted it around to every house I have lived in. It is really cumbersome. The actual set is much cooler than I remember it being though, having looked at the Brickset page. I think got this around ~ 2007 from Ebay, around the time that Lego wasn't doing great and everything was quite cheap to get second hand as there wasn't a huge demand. I'm moving house soon and have packed it all up but I might rebuild this and display it alongside the Ninjago city in my new place.

I really like Temple of Mount Everest from that line too.