Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Saint Sputnik posted:

Those rover animations are superb.

Finally made my army of cowboys a place to work and play.

There best be a Lego Clint Eastwood somewhere in that town!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Knormal posted:

People voted up a DeLorean again? Do people really think Lego's going to make another DeLorean after having just done one? The Japanese buildings do seem niche, but then again the first Cuusoo they did was an obscure Japanese underwater robot so I wouldn't rule it out. I agree Adventure Time does seem the most likely if Cartoon Network signs off on it, though I don't really like the looks of the actual models the guy designed. I don't see Lego making the custom microfigs he's planned, and without those the treefort is kinda blah.

Also this has reintroduced me to the fun of finding ridiculously lovely Cuusoo submissions.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/40680

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/51468

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/55218 - This one is cool in concept but it looks like it's reacting appropriately to having the power set jammed up its rear end

I would love it it they did something like this:

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/47379

When I was a kid, I built a KITT out of LEGO, but it wasn't like this. It's not perfect, but it'd be a good place to start.

Actually, just do a whole series based on 80's tv shows. KITT, The A-Team van, Air Wolf, Street Hawk . . .

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

xzzy posted:

These new micro ships own bones, everyone should buy them.

edit - only thing I don't like is the front canopy on the tie fighter isn't fixed, it can spin freely.

Funny thing, mine had an extra piece, that blue peg thingie, and I stuck in the second opening of the piece that the canopy fits to, and it doesn't spin anymore!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

There are some sets that are clearly aimed at adult collectors, like the architecture sets and the insanely expensive scale-model poo poo, but the cheap silly stuff is for kids first and foremost and adults need to step back and let the kids have a chance to enjoy it.

That's why I love what LEGO is doing with the new Star Wars Micro Fighters sets. Kids can't afford a 130 dollar Millennium Falcon, or even a 60 dollar X-Wing fighter, so these little ships are perfect for them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah! Little nephew bought some of those with his own money and started making more out of his bucket of random legos. They were a great idea and I hope they do more along those lines for different lego settings.

One of the things I would have liked to see LEGO do is create a bunch of smaller, more cost efficient sets that could combine into one larger set. Take the Death Star, or Hogwarts, for example. The could make single sets that featured a part of the system (say, The Emperor Throne room) that could retail for about 15 bucks, but then could be connected to another room, (like the Detention Block) that would also be about 15 bucks. You'd have sets with a much more attractive price purchase for impulse buys, plus you'd have that collectable drive that you with some sets.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dogen posted:

They sort of did that with Jabba's Palace. Maybe they'll do that with more stuff. It's hard for ships and the like, though.

Yeah, the only problem with that was that the sets were 120 and 60 dollars apiece! I was thinking of much smaller ones, with more affordable prices.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

My local Target had the Tumbler and the City Policeman.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Llyr posted:

I finished the Ghostbusters set last night. Good detail, neat construction, I like it a lot. It makes the Delorean look like crap. The only thing I don't like is Venkman's hair. It just doesn't look right. I bought all the Star Wars microfighters (except for the prequel poop) and love them. Each one is a simple build that only takes 15-30 minutes to build, but for 10$ each they're worth it. I did find it odd that there is a TIE interceptor instead of the much more iconic TIE fighter.

My hope is that they'll do more, and that's why the TIE Fighter wasn't in there. Love to see the TIE, Slave 1, Snow Speeder, Imperial Shuttle Craft, and an AT-AT in another wave.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

No Egrets posted:

Agreed, finding a skin tone to use on bricklink was a pain, I really wish someone would throw that booster pack idea onto lego ideas.

I wish Lego would put out a pack of just various mini-fig parts. Heads with different male and female faces, hair styles of various colors, etc.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

FWIW congratulations on writing a post that made someone change their mind on an issue on the internet (and I'm not being sarcastic). Well, I didn't really have a particular stance on it to begin with, but if someone had asked I would have probably assumed the whole "yellow = everybody" position by default. I get why this is an issue now.

I have had issues with the sparcity of female minifigures in certain lines before. Something I'd become a lot more aware of since having a son who is now a Lego fan. In the Dino theme, for instance, there is one female minifigure out of fourteen across all the sets (or one out of eight unique figures) and the same goes for most recent action/adventure lines. Someone wrote a great, well researched article on this a couple of years ago (which unfortunately I can't find) that suggested this balance was getting better and not worth.

However, I think that in the last year or more (which may mean it's been in development longer) they've improved a great deal in that respect and this was before that female science set (which I'm not bothered about either way, I'd rather see a commitment to a better gender balance in future than a one off special occasion set). I don't expect to see parity in what is primarily marketed as a boy's toy, but there was a lot of room for improvement.

I don't mind Friends. The biggest issue I have with it is that I think in general my kid would like a lot of the sets. He likes shops and cafes and stuff and would probably prefer them to the average city set as he doesn't really care about police, fire and construction, except the marketing puts him off. The same goes for all those little activity sets... karate, science, magic, playing piano. He'd love those if they weren't so pink an "girly" and had the occasional male minifigure. There's nothing comparable in any other line. This isn't "somebody think of the men!", so much as part of a bigger issue I have with how toys are marketed towards different genders and the values they tend to push. Something that is almost certainly above and beyond the parameters of this thread so I'll shut up and just leave this link for a blog I like that focuses on the negative impact this can have on boys (http://www.achilleseffect.com/).

Within all of this there's nothing that annoys me more than the "get over it they're just toys" argument.

There are a couple of male figures in the Friends line.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

Mixels series 3 is on shelves. They've varied the body plans more this time around. You also get some pretty uncommon detail-piece colors in them, like purple and pearl silver 1x2 curved slopes.

Also saw the 2014 City advent calendar which looks even more boring than usual. About the only interesting pieces are the 1x1 round tile cookies, the whole cooked turkey, which doesn't show up that often, and a black bowler hat (only available in 2 sets, one of which was a Lego employee-only set and the other the $99 Lone Ranger train).

The cookie was available in one of the Friends set, and I think an early blind bag minifig had the black blower.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

DrChud posted:

My phone isn't working right otherwise I would have the pics here, but

USC Slave-1.
http://brickset.com/article/12209/75060-ucs-slave-i-pictures-revealed

This is a must for me. So with the list from yesterday and this it's ramen and living in the car. At least Boba will keep me company.

Didn't they just do a Slave 1 like 2-3 years ago?

The_Doctor posted:

Microfighters

75072 – ARC-170 Starfighter
75073 – Vulture Droid
75074 – Snowspeeder
75075 – AT-AT
75076 – Republic Gunship
75077 – Homing Spider Droid

Yay! More micro fighters! Excited for the Snowspeeder and AT-At!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mitsune posted:

:hfive: I feel you. I'm more excited for these micro sets than any other releases.

I was hoping they do a Slave 1 too, but hell, they went in the complete opposite direction for that!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

I wonder if the T-16 will come with a womprat.

It does! Look at the bottom of the box. Though using a missile against a rodent does seem like overkill.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

Sorry... Science Museum 4 Lyfe.

I wouldn't mind getting the Micromanager set but that's going to go so fast tomorrow I'm not sure I can be bothered. I'm digging that Star Wars set though. Looks like a really neat little build.

The Chima cycle is for sale at Target.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Krazyface posted:

The new modular's been announced, officially this time. There's a bunch of really detailed interior pictures here.

e: the Wanted sign describes the subject as having black eyes, 42 mm tall, weighing 3.4 grams.

And there's been some sort of nuclear explosion according to that paper!?! And everything costs 100 bucks?!?!

Lego Obama! :argh:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

beato posted:

I got The Ghostbusters set and this custom Slimer.

Several years ago they came out with a Clone Wars shop that came with a minifig of Jabba's baby son. Lego could have done it in translucent green and it could have been an decent Slimer.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Lawen posted:

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I think that they could do some cool Top Gear sets. Hell, half the poo poo they build on the show is like the automotive equivalent of a double decker couch. The campers/caravans (particularly Clarkeson's modern apartment camper) or pickup truck hovercraft are good examples. I'd buy a Reliant Robin kit too.

Some company did do Lego knockoffs with the Top Gear brand already. Had The Stig and everything. I was shocked when I saw it, especially since I live in the US, and saw them at a Toys R Us.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

DrChud posted:

Rumor has it Series 14 is monster themed series. Would seem like Lego is going full on Scooby Doo mode if these are true.

Take the whiskers of the Cat Lady, make it flesh-colored, and give her a black outfit, and it would be the PERFECT Julie Newmar Catwoman.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

SuperSpiff posted:

So I picked up my first Lego set in like 12 years over the holidays (the AT-AT) that combined my long dormant love of Star Wars and Lego. Are there any recommendations for fun sets along those lines, preferably Star Wars?

Well, you gotta get the Snowspeeder, for one!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dogen posted:

It would have been a good opportunity for a Bruce Banner fig, certainly.

Isn't the Helicarrier not in scale with the mini-figs?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Norns posted:

Did you miss the DC ones? The quality was about the same.

They also did Marvel ones. And the DC Joker one was used as a giant robot at the end of the video game Lego Batman 2.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Turkson posted:

I love it. It's going to look great on the bookshelf next to my Venator star destroyer and Corellian Corvette. My only complaint are the missile shooters.

I'm currently working on the Helicarrier. It's enormous. I don't know where I'm going to put it when it's done.

How about my house?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Electromax posted:

I just looked up what a brick separator is. Could've used that 20 years ago.

EVERYONE could have used one twenty/thirty years ago.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

Luckily they're in EVERYTHING now to make up for it. I have like 10 brick seperators just sitting around. They used to be a pack-in with only the really huge sets but even the smallest little box of Classic has one free.

I just wonder how much money Lego lost out on over the years not selling the separator in stores. Not in a set, just on a blister card on a peg rack next to the Lego. Sell for a dollar or two. Thankfully, they do put them in sets now, but man, what could have been.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

What's everyone's favorite themes? I'm a big fan of the 'standard' kinda stuff (Creator/Expert, Castle, Pirates, Egypt, Arctic) but I found myself liking the Movie sets a lot just because they're surprisingly detailed builds, and I'm a sucker for action features :3:

I wish they would have merged the Indiana Jones line with the Johnny Thunder line.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I honestly don't see the appeal of the Death Star. I just don't think the build looks very cool and the price is asinine. One of the only big Star Wars sets I don't really have any interest in.

I've said it before, but what I would have liked to see them do is sell the various rooms/scenes separately, and then have that you could actually connect the thing into one giant Death Star.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

A store near me has a Kreo Starship Enterprise for $25. It looks like a fairly involved build which is what I'm craving, and apparently Kreo is pretty decent. Is it worth it?

Is it this one?

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2013/05/topless_toy_chest_building_the_kre-o_enterprise.php

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Norns posted:

Holy. poo poo.

Han and Chewie are in the wrong seats. F.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

For Sale: Mega Block: Utter Crap

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Dr. Benway posted:

Does anyone remember ramagon?

No, but I had Fiddlesticks

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I thought Mysterio was a Spider Man villain

It's a Spidey set with GR and Mysterio.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

I am really, really hoping that's part of a larger theme. I know it won't be, because every notable character and vehicle is in the one set. But I can dream god damnit. What price point do we reckon? I'm gonna say £130 min.

There's no Batgirl and her Batcycle. And I could see them recreating some of the more elaborate Deathtraps to sell with lesser villains.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Illegal connection in an official set alert! I think that's.. a taupe alert? Maybe taupe. I don't know what colour taupe is.

BUT ANYWAY

What set is that from?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Zodack posted:

All the LotR stuff came out during my dark age and now I want to get a lot it, which is unfortunate because it's often 20-30% more expensive. Also, it's a huge bummer there isn't more of it. No Witch King set? Really?

I feel you man. I missed most of the Indiana Jones and Harry Potter stuff.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ghost Rider set confirmed :black101:

Who cares about GR? Did you not notice LEGO Aunt May?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

Went to the LEGO store in Raleigh yesterday, and I thought I was going to make a minifig of my wife for her to put into the beach house I got her (she's from Florida and misses the climate there) but quickly realized I would have nowhere near enough time given the weekend crowd. Is there a good way to use Bricklink or another site to pick minifig parts online?

I wish LEGO would release sets that were nothing but various minifig parts. Just various styles and colors of hair, different facial expressions, different torsos, and legs. Maybe throw in a few props as well. They could even do theme sets, like police, firefighters, astronauts, knights, etc.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Van Dis posted:

Why didn't any of you tell me that the last couple of years' Bricktober promotions were little town buildings so cute I could poo poo

Look at this freaking hotel!!

And the town hall has tiny frog gargoyles. Jesus Christ.

Toys R Us sells a little Toys R Us

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Rythe posted:

Are the building instructions for the Lego Dimension sets typically posted online? I would love to build two of those demon dogs from the Ghostbusters set, without having to buy the Dimensions set.

Try Youtube. It's where I found instructions to build some of the stuff I bought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Couple of weeks ago I bought the TIE Minifighter. Went to build it last night, and when I opened it, not only were there no instructions, the three polybags didn't belong to the set.

Weird.