Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Cry Havoc posted:

Anyone know if Series 2 minifigs are available in Toronto anywhere?

Toys R Us. Just go in and look. I called my local store and was told they weren't in yet but I went in anyway and there were two boxes that were half picked over already. I got everything I wanted except the disco guy.

Chris Knight posted:

Yeah, I posted about it a few weeks ago. Best bet I found was Wal-Mart when they first came out, but after putting a complete set together I haven't been back. If you feel like a trip to Mississagua, try Lasting Toys.

I've never seen them at Walmart in Ontario, and believe me I've looked. I'm not doubting you, but I have yet to have see them myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Cry Havoc posted:

Are they with the other Lego stuff? I checked the Eglington store, but didn't find any.

Depends on the store, some have it with their other lego, some at the customer service desk. Look around, then ask, but don't call because it's easier to say no to you than yes and have you get pissed when they are wrong.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

After sorting the hinge bucket, which I had to make stacks for until we get another tackle box, I decided to finish the last of our collection...

When God gives you Bionicle, you seriously consider throwing it all out.

At least the Technic assault droid will make for some interesting pieces. I don't know if it's complete, came with the Bionicle which we only bought because it was mixed in with a ton of normal stuff.

My friend's kid loves that Bionicle stuff and they are always going on about how he builds the 'wildest things' with them. Is it just me or does the very nature of Bionicle hold back a great deal of creativity? I've seen Lego guns that fire bricks, Lego tanks and cars that actually work, loads of great Lego sculpture; but Bionicle is just Bionicle, goofy robot things that are really no different than action figures. Am I just becoming a grumpy old man, or do I actually have a valid point? What say you thread?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: not everything made using Bionicle is awful. If you get creative, they can be useful. They are Lego pieces, after all. Though admittedly the head on this one is half-assed.

Colour me impressed. I guess I'm just jaded because everything this kid comes up with is just the same random, bashed-together stuff every kid does; except that his parents gush about it like he's going to be some kind of genius engineer because of it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Slashie posted:

Are you seriously complaining that a child does not play with his toys in a sufficiently impressive fashion?

Look, I'm not going to poo poo on this hobby, because I get the appeal and I love coming here to see people's massive creations, but I don't think you should forget that these are children's toys first and grownup hobby materials a far-distant second. Didn't most of you fall in love with this stuff when you were children? How would you have liked it if some manchild got all huffy about how you were just playing like a kid?

Look what model trains turned into. Do you want that to happen to Lego?

No, I think I'm complaining about the hype his parents give his output. Kids can be kids all day every day, no worries. Just don't expect me to think that they are the next Frank Lloyd Wright or Charlie Parker just because they can draw a house or bang on a piano.

My original question was: "DO YOU THINK THAT BIONICLE FETTERS CREATIVITY MORE THAN LEGO DOES?"

That's it.

The answer was yes...sort of...

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 1, 2010

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Slashie posted:

All parents do that, and many times an accomplishment may be impressive coming from a child even if it would be mediocre coming from an adult, because children are smaller people who don't have as many skills or life experience. Are you the guy who complains that parents put their children's drawings up by their desks at work even though you can draw Batman way better than that?

Good god no, fridge art is great. And encouraging kids is important.
And I know all parents love their own kids stuff I was simply asking:

"DO YOU THINK THAT BIONICLE FETTERS CREATION MORE THAN LEGO DOES?"

but a kid making things out something that doesn't require a great deal of creativity is pushing it.

Though admittedly the thread did show that bionicle isn't as restrictive as I thought it was initally.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Slashie posted:

You're still judging a child's playtime. Don't, it's "CREEPY".

Actually it's called my university class in social research bleeding into normal life. So still creepy, but at least it's :eng101:-creepy.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 1, 2010

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

3 posted:

The upcoming Diagon Alley set looks amazing.

The sculpted goblin heads look odd when compared to the standard logo head with painted expression and hair (or hat) on top.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Not me. The singer is currently holding a maraca in one hand and a mic in the other, while Dracula holds here spare mic.

My Dracula has a spare inverted maraca, standing in as a vial of blood.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Series 3 have no bar codes correct?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Flavor Bear posted:

I think I am actually going to buy a sealed case of series 3.
In the first two, there weren't really enough figs that I found very interesting, but with the exception of the Sumo and the Racecar Driver, I want all of those.
God drat, I love that pilot.

Funny I don't care for many in series 3, that combined with no bar codes means I'm likely just skipping this round.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

Oh here's some confirmation on that Series 3 in the Seattle Fred Meyer thing, from some guy on a site called Toys N Bricks:

Also, series 4 rumors be flyin'. This site has some Dutch text that translates roughly to: "The Monster, Surfing Girl, Sailor, Kimono Girl (Geisha?), Punk, Viking, Speed Skater, Hockey Player, Skateboarder, Man in Safety Suit (???), Musketeer, Werewolf, Artist, Mad Professor, Football Player and Garden Gnome."

Viking and Garden Gnome? I'm back in!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

No bar codes or any other identifiers for series 4 correct?

Funnily I wanted the Viking and the Gnome when series 4 was announced, but now seeing them I don't really care. That being said I now really want the hazmat guy and the mad scientist.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

A Child's Letter posted:

It's been so long since I've had access to any of my old bricks; now, I've bequeathed them to my son (sorta). I still have to try to clean the old musty smell off of them -- and so many are discolored! Ack! -- but we attempted a few, and the other night I built this out of a very limited selection of parts:

Sure, it doesn't hold a candle to most of the stuff posted here, but...but... :butt:

Sweet ride.

Also, with regard to dirty bricks is there any proscribed methods to clean them?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Granite Octopus posted:

Looks like they jacked the price for the new series of minifigs here in Aus. $5 each? no thanks.

Anyone know of a release date for series 4 in North America?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Anyone in Canada see series 4 in stores yet? I keep trying various TRU but no luck yet...

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qZy6ARqGC4&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Cute lego-centric prank phone call.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 4, 2011

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Does anyone have a better idea than 'Summer, possibly July or August' for series 5? I only want three of them, but they tend to be in short supply around here so I don't want to miss out.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Dr. Platypus posted:

I can't wait to spend an hour again manhandling the little packets at wal mart.

Yes, nothing more likely to make you totally self-conscious than being a fully grown adult male, fervently manhandling Lego packages and neatly sorting them into piles, while soccer moms stroll past with their kids in search of the Nerf or Barbie section to get a gift for a youngsters party.

Chance of weird looks 100%

Not that it stops me of course.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

If this should really be in SA mart somebody tell me, but I thought since this is the Lego-holic thread I'd try here first.

Would anyone here want a "The Batboat: Hunt for Killer Croc" set#7780?

It is complete with both mini-figs and all weapons, instructions and box as well as all 187 parts. There is no wear on the parts that have printing on them, but the stickers have been applied and the small bat symbol on the escape boat was put on upside-down.

Bricklink lists them for $99-$200 for complete sets. Before I use bricklink or ebay any interest here? $85 plus shipping. Contact, monkeypuncher00 at gmail dot com

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Stopped in at TRU to see if the new series of minifigs was in yet, only to find a pile of the last series. After five minutes of bag squeezing I found another Hazard Suit Guy and a Mad Scientist. (And while looking for them I found most of the other figures as well). After the fast sell out of the previous series I was suprized to find them there and more suprized that there were more than just commons left.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Digital War posted:

Picked up some series 5 minifigs from Tesco. They'd only just got them and they weren't even on the system yet. Had to get an employee put them through as Series 4.

Got the dwarf, eskimo, boxer, gangster and Jane Goodall. Not bad for a random grab.

And so the frantic hunt begins...

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

luloo123 posted:

I have a spare boxer if you want it.

I am also amassing a collection of Cleopatras, clowns, and graduates, but I have yet to find the guy in the Godzilla suit or the monkey lady.

I did get a gangster today. He is truly awesome.

The Godzilla costume tell is the big head piece followed by the spikes you find on that big head piece. If you don't find the spikes you likely have a palace guard, his hat is pretty huge.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Found this on imgur and thought I'd share.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Honeydew posted:

So uh... it's a thing now

https://www.jinx.com/LEGOMinecraft

It makes total sense since people often explained minecraft as video game Lego, but it is a pretty crappy set and I can't imagine kids having any more fun with it than they would with a random pile of blocks.

They should just focus on making Steve, Zombie and Creeper figure sets; not minifigs, but sets that are constructed to make 4-5 inch tall "models" you can put on your desk.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 16, 2012

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

One day while feeling for S6 minifigs I helped three moms pick out Ninjago sets for their kids. They had no idea what they were after, just that they wanted the Lego Ninjas.

It's basically Ninjago, Friends, and Star Wars. Everything else is nigh-inconsequential.

I love doing stuff like that; they are simultaneously happy for your help but still slightly creeped out by your in-depth knowledge of children’s toys.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

osici posted:

The haunted house set has been announced! It's a Monster Fighters set and it looks awesome.

http://brickset.com/news/article/?ID=3418

Lots of zombie heads on those pillars!

As a Lego dabbler, what is likely the best scenario for getting this set on sale when it comes out (or relatively soon after)? I know TRU has sales on lego, but are they regular sales or just whenever they happen?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

It might only be available at the shop.lego.com and I can't see it being discounted any time soon after release. Your best bet might be grabbing it when they have some kind of promotion (free shipping, double points etc).

I keep seeing 25% off lego sets at TRU would this set some how not apply?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Captain I, Gravy J:

Got it, thanks.

MSRP it is.

My Night of the Living Dead diorama will happen.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Job progress: So I should hear back this week about if I'm getting an interview, and then that interview and hiring will take place at the end of this month.

Now, dilemma, I've been given an interview at a fast-food restaurant, and I'd know before my Lego interview if I had that job or not, but I really don't like the idea of working there, and working around Lego would be a dream come true.

I've got retail and customer services experience, experience working with kids and I know the product line off by heart, pretty much, do I hold out for the chance to work with Lego, or do I go for the fast food interview and risk getting the job?

They say you shouldn't be picky, but I feel like I'd be disappointed in myself for not taking the risk and trying.

If you are at the stage of life where your options are burger-joint or toy store as your employment options, definately hold out for the toy store. You don't need to cover a mortgage or pay for your kids dental bills, so dare to live the dream and become a citizen of Lego Land.

PriorMarcus posted:

I'd need to hand in my notice though, meaning I wouldn't be available to start the Lego job ASAP, and, frankly, I'd feel a little bad doing that.

Giving notice is a courtesy, not a requirement. While it may be a lovely thing to do, just bail. Don't even mention the food job to Lego and just say you can start right away. Believe me if the food job wants rid of you they won't give you the courtesy of notice (not while you are still in your probationary period).

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 12, 2012

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

The invisible power that connects them?

So, friction?

Lesbianism.

On another topic. I found this on a french guys blog. Probably not authentic, but interesting none the less.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

The laptop is what I'd look for. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to distinguish a mug from a head.

I disagree. The handle on the mug is very distinctive. First look for the package with two heads, then see if one of the heads has a handle. Easy.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Sharkelberry posted:

That's what I'm thinking ;)

I am in the middle of a move now so I don't have much time to mess with it just yet. As far as organizing goes, where should I start looking for those plastic drawer things I see posted? I assume places like Wallmart/Meijer's has them, but I'm wondering if there a better option that I am unaware of?

I use bead storage trays from Michaels (found in the beading section, suprise, suprise). Either wait for a sale or just use the 40% off coupon from the website and you can get loads of trays for cheap.

I use this type

but there are many different styles.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

Doesn't TRU price the minifigs at 3.99, though? I usually avoid them (unless they're having a BOGO deal) because their prices are generally higher than anywhere else.

How much are they elsewhere?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Mr. Glass posted:

2.99 at Target.

Good to know. Thanks.

Another Lego-noob question. Where would I likely find the Monster Fighter Haunted House? I've seen the other MF sets at Target, but would they also eventually have the HH?

I know it isn't available yet, but I just wondered if I would see it at Target when it was out. Or where I may be best to try and find it.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 17, 2012

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Karma Tornado posted:

Toys R Us, at least around here, also charges more in-store than they do on their own website for some items. Vampire Hearse was forty on their site, forty-four in-store.

They're in a position where most consumers assume that since they're a chain, they must be cheaper.

I don't know about TRU, but I have gotten merchants to price match their own website before. On a big enough purcahse it might be worth a chat with the manager.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Red posted:

Nope - my buckets and wheels are brown.

Dwarves’ Mine Defender 7040

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Where was the price increase announced? The Lego site still lists it at $180US which is unchanged as far as I recall.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

It's amazing that Slave-1 and the Millennium Falcon are so iconic, that even reduced to those few elements they are completely recognizable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007