Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My parents are bugging me to clear my old lego out of storage when I'm around for Thanksgiving. I'd like to try building something interesting-ish, but I know when I was a kid I heavily prioritized my purchases based on cool minifigs and accessories so I assume I'll have disappointingly few structural pieces to work with. What's the cheapest way to get bulk generic bricks? Ebay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Has Lego ever issued completely blank solid-color minifig torsos, or am I just looking at a really, really faded piece?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

So, no Space theme this year, apparently, only Star Wars. Pirates is now PotC. Kingdoms, etc will be replaced by LotR. Throw in the DC/Marvel stuff (which reminds me.. we've seen DC stuff, but none of the Marvel line)

Only the Dino and City lines are unrelated to a licence. I guess I should be glad it's just 'Dino Hunters' and not an official Jurassic Park line (which would be awesome, and I know it).

I'm kinda bummed about this :( I'd sort of like to get back into Lego but I don't really have any interest in licensed sets. If they were phasing out PotC or Star Wars in favor of lego pirates/space I could live with that, but I hope I'm not going to have to wait until 2013 to get my Lego on.

I guess at least there's that giant-rear end joust set coming out soon. Looks like that just became a mandatory purchase for me.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Flesh tone is fine for licensed sets where you want a representation of a real person.

Which is... sort of the point of the new design, yes? I have a really hard time finding anything strenuously objectionable about the alternate minifigs. I mean, yeah, the pink overload is kind of a concern, but if this was just about rolling out a line of more humanlike figs with generic city-ish sets emphasizing playability and more intimate spaces I wouldn't really see the harm in it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Testro posted:

Monsterw21faces' link is depressing - the whole reason why Lego fails with girls is written there very clearly...they don't want necklaces (Scala), they don't want lack of detail (Paradisa), they don't want a focus on accessories (Belville), they don't need more dolls (Scala Dolls) and they don't want jewellery (Clikits). A few female AFOLs have said it more than once - what girls want is to be put into the standard themes. More female minifigs - why can't they have female police officers, female firefighters, female criminals etc ...and a swerve away from confrontation would be appreciated. But apparently, female AFOLs know nothing because they're already unconventional for liking Lego in the first place(!)

I don't really see what's so terrible about less abstract, more humanized minifigs. They haven't been True Lego ever since they stopped putting blank smiley faces on everybody, what's one more blasphemy added to the mix? :colbert:

The track record on female minifigs is pretty terrible though. I've got 100+ figs and one, count 'em, one pirate wench. Looking back most themes have had 1 or 2 lonely female characters that were almost always exclusive to the largest and most expensive sets, which is an absolutely lovely way to reach out to new audiences. It seems like none of the adventure themes ever have female characters in the stocking stuffer sets.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I don't really care all that much for vehicle-driven lines, but a dapper motorcycle-riding gentleman trying to carjack Dracula's pimped out hearse with a rapier? loving sold.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My first exposure to LEGO was a big box of unsorted hand-me-down parts with no instructions. It took me several years and a bunch of new LEGO purchases before it dawned on me that this wasn't the intended state of LEGO.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SpecialF posted:

Apologies if this is old news but I've not seen any images of Minifigures s7 posted here yet.
http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/8831_Minifigures_Series_7
There's a merman!
And a guy in a bunny suit!
And a space ranger dude!

Hoorah!

How come the Series 6 female space ranger didn't get any power armor? :mad: Goddammit LEGO.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Travis343 posted:

I've got cousins with little girls who won't let their daughters play with "boy toys", and the only reason they know which ones are the "boy toys" is because the manufacturers are marketing them that way.

Is... is there a :sadsmithicide: smiley? Because :smithicide: just isn't sad enough for statements this depressing.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

djfooboo posted:

No I didn't miss the point of the article. You just can't convince me that it is LEGO or any other "girl" toymakers fault that they have researched and found that girls like to play certain things. Get a group of girls together and they play house, pretending to have domestic partnerships and everything. Put two boys together and they crash matchbox cars into one another. That isn't to say that there cannot be cross-pollonization, but there is an obvious preference.

The market research shows that girls like to play certain things because toymakers have made it a large part of their business to sell girls on the idea that they're supposed to play those things. I mean yeah there are probably some gender-based predilections involved, but for the most part kids' preferences are what society has imposed on them. I worked doing janitorial/maintenance work for a preschool for a couple of years, and if you ever watch a bunch of 3- and 4-year-olds left to their own devices they just give no fucks about gender norms in their play. It's only through socialization that they come to understand the toys they're "supposed" to like over the next several years of early childhood development, or earlier if their parents are shitheads (thankfully the preschool teachers were really nice and didn't yell at kids for doing stuff like playing with "wrong" gendered toys.)

But this is all actually beside the point. I mean, okay, for better or just for worse this divide between boys crashing cars together and girls playing house does exist, regardless of its origins, and we all have to live with it--LEGO Group included. The problem is that for the past dozen years or so most of their sets have been, figuratively and sometimes literally, "here are two cars, crash them together."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Travis343 posted:

That right there says the line is aimed at people, girls or otherwise, who don't already have a lot of Lego, because people who have armies of little yellow men on their shelves aren't going to want to mix in a bunch of people who don't look anything like them.

Speak for yourself, if I had been born 20 years later I'd totally be stealing my little sister's legos (well, more of them) so that I could have actual female figures.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

kopiko posted:

With only a smiley face to go on females could only be identified by hair. I suppose it was down to our own imaginations that those were spacemen and couldn't possibly have girl hair under their helmets. If I recall correctly all through the 80's and early 90's female minifigs were relatively rare. I think that my own collection of Lego from that era has a male:female ratio of about 100:7. I know it was the 80's but I would have expected a Scandinavian toy to be more progressive on gender equality :colbert:

When I was a kid I didn't collect City sets and always sprang for multiple mid-sized sets over saving up for the big ticket ones. My collection from that era has a 120:1 gender ratio and the only reason the 1 is there is because they included a pirate wench in the $6ish minifig packs (which loving ruled and I wish I had bought more of them.)

So yeah, I don't think anyone complaining about Friends stuff is under any illusions that there was a glorious past age of gender sensitivity in lego; it's more wishing for what might have been. Castles for example are a pretty gender-neutral concept, especially when more sets were just about building a cool place for your knights and robin hoods to live. You gotta wonder what would have happened if they had tried throwing in the occasional fancier castle with more female minifigs.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sockser posted:

The ugliest minifig.

Nobody wants to date her.

At least she has the fashion sense to keep her hair under wraps; she knows how awful all the old school minifig hair pieces are.

To say nothing of this freak. FRANCE. WE - ARE - FROM - FRANCE.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Manchild King posted:

Don't you just hate that. Does anyone else ever feel ashamed about their Lego addiction? Im at an age where im old enough to be way out of the suggested age ranges on the box, yet young enough that I wouldn't have kids of my own old enough to play with it. Don't get me started on my friend that let me Lego hobby slip while out at the pub :suicide:.

Heavy is the head that wears the manchild crown.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I bet the hedgehog poops all over the ball turret, though. They're going to have to wash him out with a hose.

But yes, that's pretty awesome.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

neckbeard posted:

Yeah, they're overstocked on them. Once they're out of the VW Buses, Lego will be tossing in an Imperial Shuttle when you order Clone Trooper minifig packs.

They must have a lot of overstocked items, I got a castle with my ninjago booster.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Happysafer posted:

I remember liking them as a kid, but I started to sort my old Lego bricks last night, and I can't believe how many of those stupid rocks I have. I have at least a dozen, it seems like every set I had must have come with two or three of them.

Yeah, same here. I could have sworn I only had a couple back in the day, but nope I have like six of each of them. And there were practically no actual bricks in dark gray so I can't actually blend them with anything but I don't have enough light gray bricks to make any decent sized stone formations.

Also don't get Fire Breathing Fortress, it's pretty lame. I hate that my peak lego buying years came during the dragon guys theme, it looked cool at the time but even back then I was vaguely aware that none of the sets were as interesting to build as the older castle stuff. :sigh:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Red posted:

Am I the only one who thinks having a random alien/spaceman in each of the last few series is just kind of lazy or uninspired? It's just a boring Lego guy.

No lazier or more uninspired than having a couple of random everyday jobs in each series. Since when does a friendly neighborhood butcher beat spacemen for not-boringness?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

InfinEight posted:

Well, actually, the PAB wall is a much better value if you can pack the cup until bursting. This guy got 506 pieces in his cup: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27795 and big cups are what, $20? So really if all those pieces in the Minecraft set were available on the wall, you would save money by picking them yourself. Especially if you were only interested in say, those 1x1 tiles; I'm sure you could fit more than 500 of them into one large cup, which would maximize your desired cost/piece.

People have managed to get 500-650 1x2 bricks into a $15 cup by really obsessively packing them, so if you just wanted 1x1 plates/tiles only you could probably get a couple thousand.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Revener posted:

I think Time Cruisers would be especially bitching if it were to use the random pieces of today.

Only if it turns out they have a million spare Brick Daddy parts and they make a steampunk pimp carriage.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

Time cruisers now, with the catalog of minifig pieces that Lego has built up with the collectibles...I don't understand why anyone would be against that, unless you're busy making a fortune by selling minifigs.

After seeing the monster hunter stuff I'd be amazed if they're not toying with some way to put all these ancient/classical minifig dudes to use.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Minifig bag fondling works surprisingly well if you have half an hour to kill, a large enough sample to work with, and don't mind the stares from people that are actually shopping for their kids.

And the death glares from the other adult collectors who are convinced you're secretly poaching all the goddamn legionnaires.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Has there been any stats on the popularity of age-groups with the collectable minifigs, as they definitely seem like they're aimed more at the adult collector?

Kids and parents shopping for their kids buy them in droves. I mean they're definitely designed for crossover appeal, but just because Lego sometimes takes adult collectors into mind doesn't mean that we actually account for much of the audience.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DrChud posted:

Was checking out my local craigslist when I came across this

Pirate Legos

I've seen it on there a few times, what the hell does he have in there that its $1500(seen it originally at like 1900). I've seen some of them on ebay for like 10-30, but 16 piece set, that's almost 100 bucks for each one. I know the larger ones are gonna be more $$$ but jesus. Is there a thousand dollar piece in there?

They're all sealed boxes and there are a few large/rare sets in there. Glancing at Bricklink that collection could be pushing $1000 for someone who gave a poo poo about collecting mint in box sets.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Red posted:

It's over $20 for a loose figure. I'd say it's only going to go up in value over time, but who knows when the value of these things will peak.

Right before LEGO announces the new LEGO Roman Zombie Apocalypse line.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Manky posted:

gently caress me, that new minifigure set has Roman soldiers, celts, and minotaurs? This is what gets me buying Legos again, I just know it.

Ugh I could totally see myself digging out all my old Legos, cleaning them up, and starting to build Rome or something nuts. Hey, speaking of - best way to clean old Legos that have probably tons of mouse poop on them? Just hot water and soap?

Well it had Roman soldiers. Captain Invictus took them all.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Travis343 posted:

Where do you buy waterslide decals? I looked all over online when I first started doing minifigs and couldn't find blank sheets. I ended up using full-sheet inkjet printer labels.

drat, this is some nice stuff. Seconding the question on supplies; I've been thinking about trying to get into some of this myself.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sockser posted:

So that's the new Brick Separator? Is there a little rod poking up out of the top of it??

Yeah, it's shaped like a technic pin so you can use it as a pokey dealie to pop technic bits out.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I'd rather have Roman Legion v. Gladiators or Roman Legion v. Grecian Hoplites. Though all three are historically accurate.

Which is why what we actually need is Roman Legion vs. Space Marines.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Travis343 posted:

Personally I can't fault Lego for gender segregation too much as they didn't create the market that demands it. As much as we'd like to believe otherwise we've seen Lego almost go belly-up before so anything that makes them money is good for me. I fault the consumers who have made it such a boys vs. girls market.

Would still be nice if they smudged the lines a little bit more. I miss the days when Castle and Space were mostly lots and lots of cool forts and bases instead of all shooty things all the time. :(

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Is it just me or is the giant vampire castle... kind of lovely? I'm tempted to get it anyhow because hey, giant castle (also you could replace the gem device thingy with a clock face and you've got Castlevania) but it looks like a pretty shabby build.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't know why, but I loathe that UCS R2D2's head design. The rest is fine, but that head...

Well, it's a really slick model until you get up to the head and BANG all square angles and millions of studs. I can understand not wanting to use a lot of giant molded curve pieces but they at least could have stuck a bunch of cheese wedges up there to round it out or something (also because cheese wedges.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GTJustin posted:

Any tips for the Robot and Bandit for Season 6? Doesn't seem like there's any distinguishable characteristics to feel up. Hopefully my local Walmart will get the Season 7 minifigs in soon to solve that problem

The bandit's handkerchief is very unique, it's a soft-ish plastic ring with flat protrusions sticking out at one side.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The bulk bins get shuffled around pretty regularly, but I think there are always going to be plenty of big basic blocks.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
To some extent that's nothing new; even 20 years ago, smaller sets were often small vignettes with bits of scenery instead of fully realized structures, due to price/size constraints. In the past 10 years they've been pushing that design philosophy harder in larger sets, which I agree is somewhat disappointing but it's still the same basic motivation--if they wanted to build a building around all that cool stuff it would be huge, and the market can't justify a ton of big $100 sets in a single wave (especially for kid-oriented stuff.)

Besides, if parents are doing their jobs right it won't matter because the kids will just disassemble all of their sets and mash them together into a giant patchwork fortress of doom.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

A Penny Arcade Lego set would be HUGE. They could sell them at PAX as well! Plus being attached to Penny Arcade, who have done frankly stunning amounts of charity over the years is good, too.

The only obstacle would be somehow pitching a Penny Arcade-theme Cuusoo set without Lego Group ever finding out what Penny Arcade actually is. Or listening to any words out of Mike Krahulik's mouth, ever.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Saint Sputnik posted:

A pink fire truck would be universally adored I think.

It looks like they're getting a bit more adventurous in the second Friends wave. If they're successful, a pink fire truck might not be out of the question.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The only real problem I see with criticism of Friends is that too much backlash is probably a lot more likely to encourage Lego Group to abandon all efforts to reach a female audience instead of convincing them to refocus on gender-neutral sets.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

tikan posted:

Just found a Queen Anne's Revenge for 79$ at Walmart, the 21 year hole in my heart where a Black Seas Barracuda should be is finally filled.

I don't like licensed sets on general principles, so I filled that hole with Destiny's Bounty instead. Now all my classic pirates are chilling on a rocket powered Chinese junk.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

mitochondritom posted:

I think its a fake, Sherlock has already been done and the vampire lady / swamp beast are in the new Monster Hunters line.

The vampire lady might be semi-believable because it's different from the Monster Hunters vampire lady, but yeah, there's no way they'd put out an identical fishman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ChocolateMoose posted:

Well, aren't the Vampire and the Mummy from the Monster Hunters line the same as the CMs? I'm not saying it's veryly likely, but there's still hope for a Lego Hobo

Nope, they have different face and torso printing.

Looking at the Monster Fighters set the detail on the swamp creature is different but I still suspect if they were going to release one in the collectible minifigs line they would do more to differentiate it.