Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

So, today my folks decided to do a big spring cleaning. Well, my mom decided that for the rest of us. So I've finally gotten around to cleaning my room properly, discard shitloads of random useless memorabilia gathered over a decade and make room on my shelves for my collection. I also took this chance to move my lego collection (which is still unsorted) from a big black plastic ugly-rear end tub to more suitable containers, making sorting and building much more manageable. I will probably spend the evening sorting through my poo poo, and finally getting around to starting my zombie invasion diorama.

I've also noticed that the stickers which I never, ever use, actually will play a part in my diorama. The new Space Police has some awesome stickers which will perfectly suit my police/armymen fighting the zombies.

I might post pictures of my WIPs, but don't count on anything as spectacular as the things you guys make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

kensei posted:

Yeah, City: http://www.toywiz.com/lego2824.html :(

At least it has a naked santa in the shower.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I usually get an odd look when they ask if I want it giftwrapped and I say no, especially from the younger clerks. A 22 year old student buying LEGO for himself in this small city is a rare thing indeed.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I suggest doing a diorama of your own design. This way you'll get a lot more fun out of it, as well as something you can really be proud of when your colleagues ask you how you got it. :)

If you can get your hands on some zombies, a magician, maybe a robot, and the jester from the Castles set (or is it Kingdoms? I always mix those two up), you could make a nice little horror circus setting. Add a crocodile, some monkeys, bats and dragons and the like, and it could be horribly magical. :)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I think everybody who bought that set gave him a cane. I know I did. ^^
I was also totally surprised at the sheer size of the thing. The box really doesn't do it justice. Best set I've bought in the last half year.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

That ship has a very definite Firefly feel to it, with the cargo, crew and general dissaray of it all.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I never cared for Bionicle. To me, it simply isn't LEGO, it's toys with detachable bodyparts.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Invasion of the Giant Crewmembers! Fight them off with the fighter jets, then watch your ship fall to pieces anyway!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Indeed. My parents took me there when I was 12 or so, too young to really appreciate such things. Now I want to take my girlfriend there next summer. Thanks for reminding me. :)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm on a whole different continent... Although there is one in the UK, that's still across the canal. Not as easily crossed for a poor student. :(

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I remember seeing that before in a zombie diorama. The one with the Lebowski reference (Walter+Bowling Alley). It's now locked in my mind for future use, as so many things I pick up from this thread are.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

sam.freak posted:

I have a lego end user catalogue here that says "september" for series 2. Series 1 is all over the place here (Europe, Austria).

e: I think I need more zombies. They're easy to find.

You always need more zombies.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Don't give me ideas like that. Now I hate you for creating a dream and crushing it all at once.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Where in Europe? Not the Netherlands by any chance?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Awesome. I'm picking some up today. ^^ Which stores? Bart Smit, Intertoys, etc I presume?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Cool. I'm in Lelystad, so I'll check here first. Later today I'm going down to Amsterdam, so if I can't get them here, I could always check there. :)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

So I bought five of them, and just my luck, none of the ones I really, really wanted were in there. Still, I did get the Judo guy with two golden statues, the circus guy, 2 highway patrolmen, and a singer...

I wanted the ancient and undead minifigs, also, the mime... :(

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I bought a few series 2 today, got Spartacus, the pharao, 2nd circus-dude, ski-guy, bayway babe and the mexican. I'm really, really happy with the first two.

I also noticed they still had at least two unopened boxes of series one. Unfortunately for all you US goons, it's in the Netherlands..

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

TremorX posted:

I'm in Target, and looking at the collector's edition of Halo: Reach. I'm kinda waffling on getting it, and my wife says to me.. "You've hated every game you've bought in the past year. Why don't you just get that Lego set you've been wanting? You stand there and stare at it for ten minutes every time you see it."

I feel like it was definitely the right choice.

Your wife is a wise woman, and you're a very lucky man.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Sair posted:

I think they mean this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar:_The_Last_Airbender

I happened across this:

What are those metallic pieces on the kings and queens from?

I am so going to built something like that, only give it a personal touch.
Why didn't I think of that before? :ughh:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Bluemillion posted:

I love the gun on the front of this. Your nephew rocks.

The gun is cool, but an alligator launching ladder? gently caress YEAH!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

jet sanchEz posted:

The first prototype had sharks instead of an alligator but it was redesigned because sharks need to be in water to live and alligators don't. Pretty hilarious kid, you should see his sketches for the pumpkins we are carving next week.

Take some pics of that and upload them (bothc sketches and results). Hell, it might even be inspirational. ^^

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

That loving hat, jesus christ

This hat?

What's unofficial about it?

(Although the set technically seems good, I just don't like the theme/look of it all.)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

tonelok posted:

If you like Lovecraft, you have to look at this:

http://mocpages.com/moc.php/236388

I'm not going to post pics or say anything else - it's presented as a story and I'm not going to spoil it.

That's really cool.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Speed Skater should be Ice Skater, otherwise a perfectly fine translation. :)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Carbohydrates posted:

I'd love to take credit for the translation, but I'm sadly monolingual.

It's never too late to learn. :)

Also, 'punk' in this case doesn't refer to a brat/rotten child/whatever, but the mohawk anarchist kind.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Granite Octopus posted:

During the intense boredom of sitting around with nowhere to go and no power, I decided to make a laptop stand (screw paying $130 for a few bits of aluminum)

Complete with interior and hidden diorama on the back.

I really need to clean some of those white bricks though. They are filthy. :(

Oh poo poo, why haven't I ever thought of doing that?!
Next project, defintely.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Flavor Bear posted:

Jesus Christ, you think a Lego brick is painful to step on barefoot?

I remember it not being so bad. The sticks were flexible enough to bend once you put some weight on it, and not very sharp.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Joudas posted:

Well i mean at some point I went "Ohh poo poo a thread about lego, no way" and I clicked on it. I wouldn't have clicked on a thread about sticklebricks or duplo.

I think more people would/will actually click on it out of curiosity.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Oh man, I really have to get back to my LEGOs, I've been too busy with life and stuff...

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Flickr

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I am going to share my latest creation with you, simple as it may be right now:

This is part of the lab I have created for my character participating in Zoofights. There is more or less twice as much that comprises this particular section, but the rest is just filler, more or less, and not interesting at all. As Zoofights continues, I will create more and more sections of my Scientist's lair, and post them here if you guys don't object. As for the scientist's face, I chose this face because it is the most neutral face with features that I have the most expressions for. It will give allow me more freedom when creating new scenes.

Of course, if you guys have any hints/tips/suggestions/criticism in the next months feel free to post them, because I'm always willing to learn.

(And yes, I know it's dusty, but it's a scientist's robotics workshop, what do you expect?)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Saint Sputnik posted:

Just in case you missed it earlier in the thread, my little brother made this

and said he plans on a few more. I can't wait to see if he does Davy Jones.

That seems like alot of fun to do. When I was younger I painted over standard fig heads sometimes to my liking. I think I might try again, only this time more elaborate, like your brother. I don't think I'll be nearly as good as him though.

In other news, and a small question:
I just had another shipment of lego come in. I had 40some bucks to spare and couldn't resist ordering some sets online that weren't in the shops anymore. I just finished building the first of them.
Lego 8112 Battle Arachnoid from the Exo-Force line.

When I saw it on the website I ordered from (brickshop.nl for you Dutchies, Belgians and Germans), it was on sale. Even at it's original price, it seems like a hell of a great deal.

I paid 7.95 (down from 9.95, and it's so big for it's price. When you look at similarly priced sets from other lines, it seems a lot more value for your buck.

Is that something that's typical for Exo-Force? And if so, which other lines are similarly priced. (I know to stay away from all the licenced stuff.)

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Saint Sputnik posted:

I still have a little Superman I customized when I was younger. I did a Homer Simpson too, and come to think of it the Simpsons would be a phenomenal property for Lego to get involved with.

I got three of the Exoforce sets when I saw them in 5-below, including that spider. Most of the sets in the line are big robots with retardedly anime looking minifigs.

Yeah, I was looking through the set and they're all butt-ugly, except for one or two other spider-like bad guys. My amazement is more about how drat cheap and fun this particular set is. 8 euros for a set that looks like it could cost 15-20 euros and people would still buy it. The bad guys robot dude isn't too bad either, I can definitely see him becoming useful.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

beato posted:

I would just make the diorama 8 studs wide and keep the large white frames, they look good.

Agreed. From what I've seen of the sport and the stadiums, it doesn't look far off from the real thing and aren't the windows in general disgusting anyway? That should give you points for realism!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Inspector_71 posted:

Seymour was a blatant grab at tears and I hate him for that. Luck of the Fryish was by far a more emotionally powerful episode.

Thank god I'm not the only one feeling that way.

gently caress Seymour. :colbert: gently caress Fry's idiot parents even more.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'll be heading into town tomorrow to see if I can find the S5 minifigs. If they're in the UK the Netherlands shouldn't be too far behind I hope.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Making sculptures out of floral foam with lego, sort of like a 3D printer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX1cO2XhMrg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX1cO2XhMrg

The only non-lego element is the drill.

I want one.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I just bought the Alien Conquest tripod, and I'm loving the eyeball piece. I wish I had more and/or they were available in cheaper sets. Might be the first piece(s) I'm going to buy seperately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Do you mean the laser ball socket thingy?

Yeah, I'm just calling it the eyeball because that's what sprung to mind when I first saw it.