Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
So my wife got me the new Spaceport set for Christmas, since I'd been unsubtly expressing nostalgia for LEGO. It was fun to put together, though I was disappointed at how much of the shuttle/tank/SRBs were made of large molded pieces rather than being built up from bricks.

Nonetheless, it's made me want to get some more of the newer kits, and especially the Creator ones that look like they have more interesting construction behind them.

It also makes me wish I'd driven up to see my parents the last time I visited, because I could have brought all my tubs of LEGO back with me. Soon...soon we will be reunited.

tl;dr: I'm 30 and just got married and all I want to do is play with LEGO pls help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Aww, I can't go buy a "better" version of a gift my wife just gave me! That would end this marriage before we even have a proper excuse to buy tons more LEGO kids.

I think I'll see if I can get that Ferrari F40, though. Or the Architecture studio kit.

EDIT: I finally remembered the name of that awesome Ice Planet spaceship my parents got me for Christmas one year, the Deep Freeze Defender. That was so sweet.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 3, 2016

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Gann Jerrod posted:

My only problem with Nexo Knights is that with all the new trans orange parts in the sets, they lack the ORANGE TRANSPARENT CHAINSAW!

Oh man, I remember they had those in Ice Planet 2002! Orange goggles, orange snowshoes, and ORANGE CHAINSAW.

I've decided I'm going to get myself another LEGO set in a week or so, after I take my first PhD exam. I think I want to get either the F-35-esque blue jet, the Ferrari F-40, or the Architecture Studio. The Tower Bridge looks like a good brick-per-dollar buy, but I don't especially like the building and it's also not minifig scale and I can't justify getting something I'd only use for MOCs when all of my childhood LEGO is still in bins several hundred miles away.

Alternatively, I could just poke around on Bricklink and try to complete my BLACKTRON II collection, a mere 23 years after I started.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
edit: double post

So why not use this one to add that the other kit I really want right now is the Red Five X-Wing, which - unlike the Millennium Falcon - looks to be actually affordable for me, a grad student, presuming I REALLY want it.

When the first Star Wars LEGO kits came out, I was in 7th-8th grade and a) too old for LEGO, or so I thought, and b) feeling a bit betrayed by the licensed kits as I'd always thought that one's own imagination and creativity was supposed to be the main theme. Now I wish I'd saved up $$ in HS to get that Millennium Falcon kit, because gently caress if I'm paying four digits for a LEGO kit even if I did have a real job.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 3, 2016

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Crotch Fruit posted:

You did yourself a favor, all the first gen Lego star wars sets suck in comparison the modern remakes.

Well good!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Crotch Fruit posted:

You did yourself a favor, all the first gen Lego star wars sets suck in comparison the modern remakes.

Well good!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Mega Blocks is poo poo and has always been poo poo.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
My wife once made the mistake of checking a bag with jewelry on it. TSA stole all the jewelry in it.

The terrorists have already won.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Well, if we'd driven up to our wedding, I could have brought back all my old LEGO in bins... :(

Alas. Next time, perhaps, when the roads are better.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
With the right pieces you can build a car that can drive across the Atlantic. Use your imagination! MOCs are the heart of LEGO anyway.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
LEGO pieces are produced to an extremely narrow tolerance, far more precise than anything else I've heard of in the toy market. That level of precision comes at a price.

You want to see really ridiculous prices for little plastic things, check out Games Workshop.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

And if you want to see the exact opposite of Lego quality, check out Finecast!!

Yeah no kidding.

In other news, I just spent $$$ on the 10240 Red 5 X-Wing kit. I had to pay over retail, but not by much considering its OOP status, and it was a better deal than any offers I saw for the basic 9493 X-Wing kit that is much smaller and nowhere near as detailed. (I think there's a 1000 piece difference between the two)

That's my LEGO for the month. Oh, except that my mother in law gave me the Kylo Ren Shuttle and First Order Troop transport as late X-mas gifts. Apparently marrying her daughter means I am on the "good" list.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I got mine for $260, a 30% premium on RRP of $200. It had free shipping too, which was a good deal.

Given the trends, I thought "gently caress it, pull the trigger" so I don't feel like I missed out in 6 months when it's selling for $500 NIB.

Next month is the Ferrari F40.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
So, a propos of nothing, has anyone thought of renaming this thread Something AFOL?

In other news, the First Order Transporter (75103) is a really cool kit. Great minifig selection, including Captain Phasma (whose head is just a plain black LEGO head...creepy!) and an excellent use of TECHNIC features to make the kit both a complex build and a dynamic model.

Looking forward to building Kylo Ren's shuttle, it promises to have a similarly complex construction and more cool figs.

vv e: Figured it might.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 9, 2016

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
You know which licensed LEGO line I do not understand at all? Minecraft. What is the point of having a construction toy that lets you simulate the experience of a computer game that lets you simulate the experience of using a construction toy?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I wasn't saying they're harmful or anything, I just don't see the point.

It does make sense that the Minecraft sets would help attract customers to LEGO. I've never played Minecraft myself, so that's probably why I'm missing something here.

Sure as heck played a lot of SimCity in my day, though.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
See I was always the other way around. I wanted a computer game in which my Ice Planet 2002 spacemen could fly around on their skis and use their chainsaws on the other LEGO factions.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Having now assembled two Star Wars kits, I am in agreement. They were really cool builds, lots of TECHNIC components to make the moving parts work right and a lot of what I have now learned is called SNOT to create nifty interactions between bricks/plates that I never knew could work that way.

After my big-boy exam tomorrow, I'm going to start the UCS X-Wing (10240 of course, the superior second version) to try to avoid feeling like an adult for another day before I have to start thinking about dissertation topics.

(Really though I can't wait to disassemble the Star Wars ships and start on my first MOC since about 2004)

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

xzzy posted:

My little fleet!

Yay! So fun.

Been looking at the spaceship from the LEGO movie myself, it seems like a totally rad kit.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
So from watching last night's The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, I have learned that LEGO is a better investment than gold, with a 12% increase in value annually. But that's only for "pristine condition" sets, it seems:

http://time.com/money/4162059/lego-investment-compare-gold-return/

gently caress if I'm going to buy LEGO and not assemble it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

jeeves posted:

Good luck, everyone else is doing this and a) storing it takes a ton of space, and b) selling on ebay is a loving headache and a half.

Oh I would never do that. It sounds like a total forfeiture of the experience to me.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I just got the big blue Creator jet, super psyched to put it together over the weekend.

But I still really miss my old LEGOs. :smith:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
So, uh, with a paycheck coming up, expenses and savings looking good, and a more flexible work schedule right now, I'm looking to make another big LEGO purchase. I'm thinking about the Sydney Opera House, but mostly as a source of bricks for MOCs. Is that a wise idea? It's got fewer pieces than the Tower Bridge and a higher price tag, but the Tower Bridge looks like it's got a ton of really small ones that might have limited utility as anything other than parts of a wall, despite being far better value in price-per-brick.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Hm. I suppose you're right; I don't especially want a Sydney Opera House or a Tower Bridge to display, but rather a bunch of pieces to make cool spaceships with. Maybe I'll play around in LDD to get a better sense of the pieces I'd want.

The real issue is that I didn't get any LEGO after about 1997, so I have almost no gray or tan bricks.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Chris Pratt's destiny is forever entwined with that of the LEGO Group.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Oh, nice. I got an unopened one at what I considered an acceptable premium, but saving money is always good. It's a really awesome model, and quite a big one. Just a bit too big for minifigs, though R2 doesn't look bad.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
The engines are the really too small part, unfortunately, but to be honest the minifig-scale X-Wings just look hideous to me. The exception IMO is the newest one from TFA where I think the got the proportions right. A big part of that is the new canopy piece, of course.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I don't think the UCS TIE is to scale with the UCS Red Five either, though.

BTW in Star Wars news, from Brickset I learned that a white/blue TFA X-Wing will be coming out this year, with a few new features to distinguish it from the black/orange one that's already out.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Maybe I'm a boring person, but despite my interest in LEGO having recently been reignited I'm not very interested in the original themes and find the more mundane stuff like City and Creator to be more my tastes. Also Star Wars of course.

OTOH the Temple of Airjitzu looks awesome; maybe I can find a way to get it without minifigs for a discount, since while I don't care for the Ninjago theme I think the buildings are cool.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

smackfu posted:

I kind of burned out on City. I like the vehicles, but they get pretty samey after a couple of years, and they are obviously aimed at a lower age bracket so not much complexity.

I wish Lego would make more stuff that fit in with the Modular end of Creator, but at a lower price point. Like a $50 one story building. But they don't seem very interested in that.

OTOH, Technic looks as complex and interesting as it's ever been, even if the paneling pieces make them look a little more toy-like and obstruct the view of some of the workings. I really like how the Star Wars sets make use of Technic functionality to create cool moving parts.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

NESguerilla posted:

Glad to hear they are going to do a gray/blue x wing. I love the new build but hate the orange and black. It doesn't even look bad in the movie but it looks terrible in Lego.

Stare at the black/orange one long enough and then blink, you can get an idea of what it'll look like.

I actually do like the black/orange one, but I might get the white/blue too just so they can team up and PEWPEWPEW the bad guys. Because I'm totally an adult you guys.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

xzzy posted:

Whelp I know what I want this year.

Reddit thread had someone suggest a price of ~300 euros.

Porsche 911GT, looks like. I assume the stickers are not representative of the final version.

What I want to know is whether it'll have a functional gearshift like the old 8880 Super Car set I always coveted as a kid.

edit: wow, Bucket-Wheel Excavator...just as awesome as I'd hoped. And it looks like it's minifig-scale, too, at least to judge by the ladders and the control cabin. Similar price to the Mercedes truck?

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 26, 2016

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Ika posted:

Crawler crane is awesome, and just gigantic for its price. (I have mine set up so it is dangling the TARDIS)

Ha, awesome.

Is it close to minifig-scale?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
You can use them to build an actual house, as James May showed.

But more seriously, I think that kids playing with LEGO bricks (or construction toys in general) get to explore both engineering and art-for-art's-sake in a way that other toys do not allow them to do. And frankly it's the same for adults! It's like those Lumosity games, but actually interesting.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

The Rage posted:

Technically the whole "survived in the belly of the sarlac" stuff isn't canon anymore, so he might very well have just straight up died at the end of 6, unless he's in Rebels or something that fixed it since they threw the books out

Yeah but Rogue One takes place before Episode IV. Supposedly its plot will be that "[r]ebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire.
During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire's ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR, an armored space station with enough power to destroy an entire planet." So Boba Fett is a bounty hunter flying around and possibly working for Jabba.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Different Death Star!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Red posted:

Minifigure Series 6 Lego Roman Soldiers really sell on eBay for ~$20? I had no idea - I've got like 8 of the guys.

Wow, I hadn't realized there were 3 Roman minifigs. I need all of them, for professional reasons (doing a PhD in Classics :hist101:), but it looks like there's no one on Bricklink who has all 3.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Went to the LEGO store in Raleigh yesterday, and I thought I was going to make a minifig of my wife for her to put into the beach house I got her (she's from Florida and misses the climate there) but quickly realized I would have nowhere near enough time given the weekend crowd. Is there a good way to use Bricklink or another site to pick minifig parts online?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Gorgolflox posted:

Rex is only 28 years old in Rebels, I'm pretty sure he is aging fast.

Yeah, he's seen some poo poo.

Actually, with their accents and physiques, I can't help but picture the old clone commanders as retired Kiwi rugby players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Half price ain't half bad.

Maybe this is old news, but I just learned about this site: https://surmalegobros.blogspot.com

It is a site full of really funky Polish-movie-poster-like reinterpretations of LEGO sets from the 70s-90s, mostly Space themed. For example:

Or another example: