Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pain Wizard
Mar 26, 2010
I'm glad there's a new Lego thread, I started into the old one at one point but that was a terrifying prospect.

On the other hand I just recently moved back to the town I grew up in, which means all my old Legos are around here somewhere. If I make anything impressive (will not happen) I'll be sure to put it in here. Also, engineering dude: I'd love to see that kind of stuff, though I'm sure my own moving parts Legos are all long broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain Wizard
Mar 26, 2010

Revol posted:

Jesus loving Christ.
:aaaaa:

I really wish they had some closeups of the top part of the human castle on the right though. I cannot divine how they made it so nice.

Pain Wizard
Mar 26, 2010
I have got a giant tub here of (like a quarter of) my old lego stuff, but since it was like the only thing I did from the ages of like 5 to 13 I have a smattering of pieces from a billion different sets, and not real cohesive theme, even though at one point I had both the collector's star destroyer and TIE interceptor :( Anyway what I'm asking here is, is it possible for me to even put together anything cohesive with a decent color scheme or am I doomed to mismatched things with 30 wheels?
I guess that's a dumb question without seeing exactly what I'm working with, but I feel like this is like RTS anxiety. How can I overcome the mental block of "gently caress it I can't make anything that looks decent out of this"?

e: That carrier has got to be heavy as hell. Any idea how much it weighs exactly?

Pain Wizard fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 11, 2010

Pain Wizard
Mar 26, 2010

InfinEight posted:

36,380 tons (minifig scale) :pseudo:

As long there is a pattern and/or its symmetrical, you can make an assortment of colors work pretty well. Besides, sometimes its nice to just build your idea regardless of what colors you have available, like I did:

That way by the time you have a better selection of colors, you're more confident with different techniques/ideas. So don't be afraid to be a rainbow warrior if you have to, just have fun.

Thanks, I'm keeping that first one open in a tab as motivation to keep on truckin'. Speaking of, what are those grey and black round pieces up on the bottom front? I know I had some of them but I have no idea what to search for them as or where they come from.

And Torael, if it makes you feel any better, I painted some of my bionicle masks gold and silver, after sanding them to make the paint stick :downs:

Evek posted:

:words:
I think you could do the same kind of thing but with minifig arms (those are SUPPOSED to come off right?) though the colors might be hard to get decent. they have a good bend in them especially at the end anyway. I honestly really like what you have for the hand right now.

Pain Wizard
Mar 26, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Wait what's holding the ammo chain together there? I feel like I can see something right where it's coming out of the gun around the back but I don't get any evidence of that anywhere else.

Pain Wizard
Mar 26, 2010
Personally I like the girly sets because those are the perfect colors for making my lego horse scale ponyville model!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pain Wizard
Mar 26, 2010
That creeper is wonderful, but I have a LEGOQUESTION:
Why is it that when people make MOC's of space ships and what-not it's all smoooth plating and looks great, but when THE LEGO GROUP puts out a set it's all studs exposed all over the place. Why don't the official sets work towards the sleek exterior that MOC's do? I mean, I see lots of wonderful spaceships posted with their shiny smooth hulls and I love it but the official sets are always stubby and let me down :(