Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Waltzing Along posted:

E2: My SV blew up, as well. I was trying to take the middle from the bottom with the top attached. Well, the middle came off just fine but the top decided it was time to launch and flew across the room and blew up. It's not held nearly as tightly as the middle.

:same:
You can definitely pick it up one-handed from the second stage, though, the S-IC / S-II connection is solid.

It's a shame Lego doesn't make more Saturn-quality real-life space sets (the SV is my first set since childhood). The UCS Star Wars appears to be the next best thing, but I'm not particularly attached to the franchise and most of the sets are discontinued (Lepin to the rescue?). The Imperial Shuttle does look great and so does the X-wing and the Falcon and the Blockade runner and the Venator and the Medical ship and drat look at that 911 GT3 and there's a kickass Tumbler too and... here I am marveling at plastic bricks like I'm 10 years old again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I was just looking at the Curiosity rover but, surprise, it's discontinued. There aren't too many parts and I should have a few of them in boxes somewhere, so I might look at brick stores (which I didn't know were a thing!) and build the thing "manually". People do that, right? Or does it end up being too expensive?

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah the newest version of the shuttle is just fantastic. It's actually really big too. It still commands a presence on a shelf next to UCS sets.
I haven't seen either IRL, but by looking at photos and clips on the internet I think I'm qualified to say that the Tydirium is a garbage ship with garbage wings compared to the gorgeous studless ones from the old set :colbert:

Krazyface posted:

I'm not sure if those links will take you to my region's store or not, so those prices may be wrong for you.

I appreciate the links and I'm sure those would be a blast to build (like that Ninjago tower and the Airjitzu and...), but I can't justify that kind of cash on sets about things I have no connection to. Honestly, (some of) the Star Wars ships only make the cut thanks to the iconic designs and me being a space nerd; given the choice, I'd much rather have a ISS or even a Soyuz to keep the Saturn company.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Dr. Benway posted:

If real spacecraft are your thing and you don't mind bricklink, the Hayabusa asteroid explorer was one of the first Cuusoo sets.

Neat. Odd that the one probe Lego made is this one and not Voyager, though.

edit: I see Cuusoo is/was Japanese, that explains it.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I didn't mean anything by it, really. I didn't know if they were still active since I had never heard of "Lego Cuusoo" sets before today.

edit: ^^^ well, there you go. Thanks for the explanation. ^^^

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Ah, good to know. I thought maybe you were annoyed at my use of past tense since Cuusoo is still active (and still Japanese), which I could've easily checked before posting.

For content: found 100 pieces for the Curiosity rover in my old stash. Any tips to clean them up or is water+soap good enough? I'm afraid these old white pieces won't match the new ones I still have to buy.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I first started out wanting to make an assembly crane for my Saturn V. Initial testing with the crawler crane I bought showed that I could barely get it to lift the S-II stage. I don't know if I'd be able to build one able to lift the S-IC. So it might morph into just being a launch tower. I have a bunch of red lift arms from the grand prix racer, so I could build those outside the current central section. I also have the tracked bottom of the crawler crane that I might integrate into it, but that thing barely moves with just the crawler crane. I'd have to do a wicked gear reduction.

I was looking to build a launch tower and found a guy on flickr who designed an amazing one, but at 4k parts it would triple the price of the rocket. Hopefully yours ends up cheaper... Keep us posted.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Is there an easier way to acquire an entire set worth of pieces other than manually bricklinking (I understand this is a word) them? I haven't bought the missing pieces I need for the Curiosity rover yet but I'm already looking at another cool, discontinued, real-life set:

Current price is outrageous compared to RRP and none of the knock-off brands sell this one (as far as I know).

Cojawfee posted:

I hope someone releases an LDD or some instructions of a launch tower so I can work on buying the parts over the next however many years.

The guy who built the tower I posted earlier apparently sells the plans for it. Source

seravid fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 6, 2017

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks, the automated part list is exactly what I was looking for. The store auto-finder doesn't seem to work (doesn't select any store), but I can work around it.

Yeah, the Technic steering arms are crazy expensive for some reason. I should have a couple from my old "Rebel Wrecker", but those are gray so maybe I'll just skip them.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

'sup tube amp & Saturn V buddy :hf:

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I'm looking to buy Steamboat Willie as a gift and I was thinking about waiting a month or two hoping for a price drop (only need it in late June), but I'd rather grab it now if there's a chance it'll be sold out by then. Thoughts? I've bought the Saturn V in 2017 and I see it's still available, so that's a good sign, right? I'm in Europe, if that matters.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, I figured a price drop would be a long shot; 89,99€ just seems steep for what it is. Guess I'll look around online in the next few days, you never know. I did find a 15€ discount on the Saturn V in its first week out...

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Spookydonut posted:

hnnnnnnnnnnnggggg the shuttle, my wallet says no but my eyes say yes

edit: how is/was the saturn V $170 AUD (1969 pieces) but the shuttle will be $300 AUD (2354 pieces).

Same. It looks fantastic and I'm only back in the LEGO game for the space stuff, but 179€ seems expensive, especially compared to the Saturn. For that money, I could grab the ISS and the Lunar Lander and still have a few bucks left.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

El Burbo posted:

I hope they make a Perseverance set because I missed the curiosity and now it’s impossible to get!

It's easy to source the parts for it, except for the infamous 6571. Luckily I had two in light gray, looks fine and saved me 20 bucks.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Hopper posted:

I just moved my Saturn 5 into the new detolf and noticed it has yellowed like crazy :negative:

I also had to move mine and I could swear it was whiter before. It has never been exposed to sunlight. I'll compare with the shuttle once it arrives. White tiles should all look the same between modern sets, right?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I'm about to start building the shuttle and the information stickers are all in imperial units. Is this a mistake or do they really ship these to the entire metric-using world? There's no point in displaying an information panel that no one who visits (when that becomes a thing again) will understand.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Re. imperial stickers: googling around, I guess Lego just prints one set of stickers and ships them worldwide. Gotta pinch those pennies. Guess no one thought about writing both units there, you know, like they do everywhere in the manual - with the metric figures actually coming first :psyduck:

Oh well, I just finished building the Hubble and at least it's gorgeous.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

The info panels are actually neat and I'd like to display them, but stuff like "24,490 lbs" will mean gently caress all to anyone who will read it. It's the kind of thing you'd expect from a chinese bootleg, except I paid Lego's price for it, not Lepin's price.

Alright, I'll stop making GBS threads up the thread. I sent Lego an e-mail, we'll see what kind of response I get. Meanwhile, my favorite childhood set was probably this one:

Very little actual building, but a lot of fun playing with it once assembled.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I'm new to this VIP thing, what do people usually do with points? For an occasional buyer, seems like I'll only ever have enough for a 5 bucks discount from time to time.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Got an answer on the imperial units thing. The relevant bit:

Lego posted:

When we design our sets based in original buildings or third party creations, we try our best to maintain our sets as accurate and close to the orginal [sic] as possible, the information and the pieces that include the sets based on original creations, need also to be approved by the person or company that build the original model. For this reason the information on the stickers has been approved for selling as it is, since the original Space Shuttle was made by a United Stated agency, the units are shown as on the original model information.

So NASA requested imperial units on the stickers/wouldn't approve them in metric, but gave the thumbs up on the manual which prioritizes metric figures in every instance and throws the imperial ones in parentheses? Sure, whatever, I'm just gonna drop it, no point in continuing this.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I care, but that probe is not worth the trouble. The one Carbohydrates posted might be, though.

Finished the shuttle and it's amazing. It dwarfs the Saturn V and the play features are a fantastic touch that really elevate it from a simple model. Putting the landing gear down is a swift and clever operation that produces a loud *clack* and I'm happy to report the flying brick successfully touched down on the table runway, rolling with the airbrakes deployed until coming to a complete stop. And you can display it like that or with the stand in a cool pose or even with the telescope being deployed by the Canadarm and the cockpit is filled with gizmos and consoles and :allears:

On the cons side, the windshield piece is pretty crummy. It's passable at a distance, but the closer you get, the worse it looks. The pure-white stickers that clash with the warm white of the vehicle itself are also complete amateur hour. Turns out it's the same hue as the Saturn, BTW, good to know mine hasn't yellowed after all!

All in all, a mixed bag. The builds, the features and the manual are all top-notch and it's a joy to have these fine machines displayed along with the other ones, so no regrets! Still, more than a few white pieces' coloring is imperfect, the silver radiator stickers are fine but the others are just bad and the windshield clearly deserved another pass or two before entering production considering it's prominence. At 179€, those flaws are hard to excuse and... I'm still buying the ISS and Lunar Lander next for sure.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Re. stickers: is the windex method not popular? This was my first time applying Lego stickers, so I googled around first. It works great. Bare hands for the bay doors, with tweezers for the exterior ones for max accuracy, easy peasy.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Oh, I hosed up :doh:
I staggered the big stickers with the small ones. Made sense at the time since there's less room at the bottom for the small ones due to the axles. They're clearly aligned in every official picture, though, what the hell was I thinking. At least they're all equally staggered so it looks okay but, in the future, if I want a do-over, does Lego sell replacement stickers?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

That's a great looking ship and, yeah, with a little more work on the lighting, it would look even better.

I finished the ISS a couple days ago and took these for fun. Single flash as the light source, nothing fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

engessa posted:

I want all of them. Do they sell this stuff in Europe? Or is this US only?

Seems to be exclusive to Target, so US only, unfortunately