Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Hey cool! Didn’t realize the forums had a lego thread until I went hunting for a laser cutting thread in DIY. I just got back into Legos for the first time in 20 years after seeing the Saturn V set at an Apollo exhibition a few months ago, and fell down the rabbithole after getting my childhood collection from my parents. Now I’ve got enough new sets built I’m trying to figure out the best way to display everything and add trains... wish Lego would re-release the monorail or one of the third party brick makers would make a set.

The_Doctor posted:

Oh man, the water stage of Ninjago city. :stare:
I just finished this set and yeah, that was pretty onerous.

You’re probably done, but I had good luck placing the lillies first and filling in between them so I didn’t have to look at the instructions for everything. The pattern makes sense when you have a few markers to go off. Otherwise, I love having Kowloon walled city, it very much embodies everything I think lego to be! Now I just need to figure out how to add LEDs... what do you guys do? Thinking of adding a small arduino board and neopixels to cycle colors and stuff, but I’m probably better off not adding another project to my list and just getting something out of the box...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

They're not sets exactly, but there's a company called 4D Brix that does 3D printed monorail, including a whole bunch of parts that Lego never made. I'm not sure they're much cheaper than just buying actual Lego monorail second-hand though.

Speaking of actual Lego monorail, Lego has never made money off any monorail set as they were so expensive to make. It's been 25 years since the last one and I wouldn't hold my breath for more any time soon.

Interesting! The tracks look great and very well thought out, but it’s too bad they’re 3d printed and not molded.... I may try seeing if I can find models to print them myself if that’s the case. Might even try elevating train track as well, that might be the way to go, or make a subway with some bricks and custom plywood tables. I just wanna cram as much into a small space as I can and train tracks just have such a stupid large curve radius.

The_Doctor posted:

The water stage, yes. So many more to go!
You can buy set-specific kits off AliExpress! Like this one!
Oh cool, thanks! I might have to order one to see how they do lighted bricks... I think a custom solution might be more economical for the scale I eventually want to accomplish, but it might be good to see how a custom built set recommends running wires and powering everything. So many cool details in the Ninjago City that are lost without interior illumination

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^ I’ve never heard of LUGs before and google shows that there’s one stupid close to me... you guys rock, I’m going to check out their next meeting!

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

To be fair, good molds for plastic cost hundreds of thousands of dollars (especially for parts as big as monorail track, hence why Lego doesn't make them anymore) so I can understand doing 3D printing for niche stuff.

For what you want, it sounds like roller coaster track could be worth looking into. That's much smaller than train track and people have done monorails and that kind of thing with them, for example: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=BL19003-1#T=P

Whelp, that’s a permanent addition to my bricklink cart till the next pay cycle

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

Since you guys keep bringing up train track, if anyone is interested in a fuckton of 9v train track lmk because I'm going to sell a big lot of it. I think it was over 100 segments when I counted. Bunch of straight track and a controller as well as 2 junctions.

Keep talking... what we’re you thinking price wise?

Potentially interested since I have one of the older train sets and am interested in eventually extending that.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

kefkafloyd posted:

You could make a pretty good wreck-it ralph out of that fig.

Now I want Wreck-It Ralph sets.

You didn’t get the Wreck it Ralph New York edition?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

rickiep00h posted:

Speaking of sadism, everyone go vote for the Untitled Goose Game Ideas set, because good meme game needs a good meme set.

Already did!

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Vote for anything/everything that is NOT a diorama for a tv show or film franchise, imo. Those are pure laziness (except the Planet Express which the designer clearly put thought and effort into)

Planet express too—that’s just begging for legoification.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Comedy option: Lepin

Imma out myself as a dirty lepin liker... the bricks are actually pretty decent, like better than megablocks ever were, and especially for MOCs where I can buy the instructions directly from the designer (like the modern library) or retired lego sets with stupid secondary market gouging, my conscious doesn’t hurt too bad. My purchases over the last few months have been about fifty fifty, so I figure a rising tide lifts all ships, especially if it’s not in direct competition with anyone :shrug:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Scipiotik posted:

For those of you who might care, Lego is running a poll to choose the next UCS Star Wars set. Don't let the prequel fanboys get their way!

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/6dfb7865-b545-4257-908b-36c15451029e

Hell yeah! Just cast my vote for that sweet clone gunship.

I know star wars sets basically saved lego, but the things I wouldn’t give for something different, like a UCS Battlestar Galactica or Firefly set or something. Or maybe those are all culturally irrelevant now and I’m trapped in the abyss of my youth

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Blue Moonlight posted:

At least for Firefly, LEGO has previously said it was a no go due to (IIRC) space prostitution, but they released a wildly popular set depicting a show that once made a blowjob joke out of a water fountain at a dentist’s office, so I think they should get off their soapbox a bit.

That’s a real bummer. I’ll just have to look out for or build a MOC one of these days then.

Forgetting ships for a second, I have to say this is my favorite ideas set I’ve come across:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/874084e7-3ecb-410f-a18b-e7451ae5f2a8

Would love to see some more landscape and park stuff!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

xzzy posted:

Use this as a template, should be easy!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brickfrenzy/7717710438

(make sure to click through the gallery to get more views)

Holy hell, 135 pounds of bricks... I can’t even begin to fathom what that cost on Bricklink, considering I just spent almost 70 just to make a stupid tiny computer desk for work, and even that was a shitshow as Bricklink didn’t tell me half the bricks from my wish list weren’t being computed and included in the easy buy

My absolute favorite thing is the dinosaur toy in the cockpit with Wash :discourse:

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 24, 2020

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Toe dipped into chinese ripoff technic sets:

100 pages into the 200 page build guide. So far it's been a joy, with the exception of the occasional unclear instruction. Everything (steering/suspension/ride height adjuster/wing adjuster/door mechanism/differential/transmission/engine) functions as it should. The pins are probably a little tighter than real ones, so things can be sensitive to proper alignment, but not a big deal.

Technic can be a bit hit and miss depending on the maker... for instance Decool is far closer to OEM than Lepin is persay. I had no idea how cool technic stuff was until recently though, with the working linkages. Steering, clutch, and pistons just utterly blowing my mind every time I build a set. This guys videos are one of my favorite things and convinced me to buy the xerion tractor recently:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj57iL7bes8

Speaking of knockoff bricks though, there is a MOC tie bomber that looks pretty good for sale, though no idea on the store or if it’s inventory.

That plus 18$ for the instructions is a good deal imo

Koramei posted:

I think there’s enough people that grew up watching the prequels that are old enough to throw money around for UCSs these days really, attack of the clones was nearly 20 years ago now.

I do think there’s a lot more OT stuff they could do/revisit though, it’s just that those particular 2 choices imo are super lame. When the hell are we getting a UCS AT-AT?

Confirmed, millennial who grew up with OT and prequels who loves both.

My favorite thing though is comparing the UCS slave 1 with the one I had as a kid:

Looks like N64 vs modern consoles lol

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Vintersorg posted:

Prequel designs are redeemed due to the amazing Clone Wars series (new episodes coming next month!).

Whaaaaaa

I only just started watching them, and even though it’s aimed at a younger audience, it is directed by Lucas and it’s great background content to build legos to. Plus the clone wars/old republic stuff are my favorite star wars storylines since KOTOR and Shadows of the Empire. Disney’s death star 5.0, 5.1 death star on a planet, 5.3 death star on a star destroyer boogaloo just doesn’t have any appeal for me.

That being said I can’t wait for a Razorcrest set :q:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Chris Knight posted:

What we've got here is a failure to Force Communicate.

:eyepop:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

CommanderApaul posted:

Still pissed I got out of LEGO after the original UCS TIE and X-Wing (both now sold off) and didn't get back in until the Saturn V and missed the loving BWing. It's my favorite ship and the original 7180 is the only SW ship I still have assembled and didn't give to my son.

I need to make the plunge into Lepin for that I guess.

It’s out of stock now due to the Chinese New Year (and potentially Coronavirus), but the bootlego UCS B-Wing was only like 70$ at yourwobb recently

I feel the same pain though, I only just got back into Legos a few months ago after seeing the Saturn V at an Apollo 11 exhibit, and I come to find out that all these amazing modular and UCS sets have not only been released, they’ve also been retired

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

IG-88 posted:

Oh for fucks sake. I bought my son a robot off of Amazon that’s made from knock off LEGO. It’s kinda cool, rechargeable battery and it zooms around really quick.

What’s the problem you ask? Well, it’s in pieces now. Where did those pieces end up? In the same bin with all of the legit LEGO bricks we have. I feel filthy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q7WLPVW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_udClEb9462BXC

The good news is that Mould King uses Gobricks, which are the most identical to oem lego quality of the clone brick manufacturers. If Lepin is traditionally considered 95-98%, Mould King is closer to 99% relatively speaking.

It’s much better than having megablocks mixed in... I’m still going through my childhood collection and trying to separate out all those poo poo bricks.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I am really wanting a Slave I Ultimate ship to display on my desk. I am mulling over trying out my first Lepin, purchased from the Lepin site. I'd assume i'm ok to try this? How long does shipping usually take?

I would advise not buying from there. There is no official Lepin store, and indeed no more Lepin. The remnants are branded King/Queen. What you’re looking at likely doesn’t have accurate inventory listed, and expensive shipping. Here’s a good article for reference.

Yourwobb.com is my favorite place to buy third party bricks from. They ship fast (everything arrives at my door in ~10-11 days), they take paypal, and Loy has been great at finding random sets for me.
I bought the slave one from there
, and it’s a great kit, highly recommend. The miscolored bricks you see in the pics have been fixed in the newer batches:

Chinese Lunar New Year ends here in a few days, so things should get back to normal after that. There may be a delay till then, or you might see things listed as out of stock till production spins back up. Also NOS Lepin is listed as “Loose Bricks” on yourwobb. Enjoy the kit, it’s a fun build!

Butterfly Valley posted:

The imperial shuttle talk is upsetting me, it's right at the top of my list of sets I want but wasn't into Lego enough at the time

Always bricklink I suppose, or a vain hope they redo it again

Join the dark side :getin:

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 1, 2020

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I’ve noticed that if a City set has a really bad price to part ratio there’s usually a reason like big, specialized parts or tons of mini figures

loving city sets screwing over the working man, leaving us with no other choice

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

That sucks. Really would have been into a UCS Tie Bomber. Well I guess that saves me at least 200 dollars. I guess people that like those bad movies finally have a real UCS set to buy, so good for them.

I hope they don't start crapping up the whole UCS line with prequel stuff now. it is a pretty cool ship though, I'll give it that.
You want a UCS tie bomber? Here and here

Prequels do have some of the best ship designs though.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Oxyclean posted:

"wtf 17.99$? That's insanely cheap"

Oh.
Also, did not realize that it was 1494 parts. It really does not look it.

Yup! You can buy the instructions separately to support the creator, and the bricks as a set from non oem suppliers, which was the second link. Altogether ~80$, which is a pretty good deal imho

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Carbohydrates posted:

Granted, this is only one side of the story, but it seems pretty cut and dry. Sad to see from LEGO, a company I tend to associate with pretty honest business practices.

Yeah, this is pretty lovely... I had no idea there was this level of design in this space! I just assumed people were tacking on some surface mount LEDs soldered to 26awg, not that someone had developed and thought through standards and hubs for .

Hopefully this produces some peer pressure to get Lego to do the right thing. I was thinking about hooking up an arduino and running my own wiring, maybe pop in some color changing individually addressable neopixels and network buildings together on down the line or something. Could even 3d print some custom bricks for housing these pieces, or lego may eventually make some kind of conduit or hub bricks... we’ll see.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Still waiting on another bricklink order for the hinges to finish connecting the roof, but I recently cobbled together the Modern Library MOC from Brickative!

Some more pics over here

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Built some desk swag with some custom printed tiles from minfigs.me:

kali.lego

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

The_Doctor posted:

Keyboard’s upside down.

Lmao, I don’t know how I missed that... good catch!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

EvilJoven posted:

That desk is cool but even with the spoiler idk where its from

It’s just computer software and tools used for pentesting. Kali is the linux distribution on the screens with wireshark and a few other applications. Just more desk swag :)

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Jamie Faith posted:

Does anyone know of some good plastic shelving units with sorting drawers for lego?

The big sterilite drawers suck for organization, and akro mills drawers are too specific for me right now. I’ve been looking at the Papimax drawers, but they’re backordered for awhile and pretty pricey.

In the meantime I bought about 80 clear rubbermaid shoe bins for ~36$ on sale to begin a rough organization of my bricks before deciding on anything more granular.

I’ve started sorting each bin into stuff like:
Sloped
Plates
Minifigs
Minifig accessories
Clear & chrome
Large building pieces like doors, log walls, castle blocks
Smooth tiles
Snot bricks
3+ by 3+ Plates
2 by X plates
1 by X plates
Brick depth plates
1 by X bricks
2 X bricks
Specialty pieces
Printed or stickered pieces
Technic (will subsort that probably by akro mills organizer drawers soon)
Round pieces
Road plates and base plates in a larger bin
Etc

From there I can subsort based on quantity.

Here’s a good link for sorting methods:
https://brickarchitect.com/guide/bricks/

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

One thing that’s changed how I look at creating anything custom with LEGO is how many more new pieces have come out since I played with it as a kid. With SNOT techniques you can pretty much build anything now. Any shape you want to create, there’s a piece for it now when once there wasn’t. I would say look at some new sets just to see what advances have been made since the LEGO of youth, and you’ll get some good insight on the new building techniques that are possible. Any piece you could think of now exists and in almost any colour. It’s amazing.

My favorite example is the early 2000’s statue of liberty vs the recent re-release:

Voxel art vs snot techniques with a technic superstructure

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Groetgaffel posted:

I made a table lamp.

This owns! I love it... how’d you do the lighting?

On an unrelated topic... does anyone know what kind of breaks or pre-planning they’re getting with the Lego Masters show? Just started watching it and feeling super bad that I can’t even complete a Modular in the time they build an entire loving store centerpiece display

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Carbohydrates posted:

Here, I don't know if you'll get any value out of this, but here's some WIP shots from parts of my process.

Much better than my last attempt to digitally design a lego car:

For real though, those vehicles are amazing! Exactly the right lego scale to integrate into a city and be fun to build. 10/10 would buy instructions if that’s something up your alley.

One of these days I’d love to MOC a parking garage and fill it up with cool vehicle builds

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Carbohydrates posted:

Thank you so much! I've been known to do instructions.

Oh hell yeah, thanks for the link! Went ahead and bought the tiny house instructions because that might just be the best set I have seen in a long time :3:

Now the only question is whether I should use this as a catalyst to sort ~150 pounds of lego or just bricklink the whole thing...

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Carbohydrates posted:

Well, your odds of finding the necessary pieces in your pile seem slim, unless you have multiple copies of the 2018 Statue of Liberty in there - it calls for 70 of those sand green double cheese slopes. It also calls for x5 panel 1 x 2 x 1 in reddish brown, which are rare and expensive, but I bet it'd look just fine with the stairs in a different earthy color like dark brown or medium nougat.

I'm glad you like it so much! That tiny house was a collaboration between my partner and I and we're very proud of it.

For sure will have to bricklink quite a bit since my bulk collection is pre early 2000s and doesn’t have much in the way of tiles, cheese wedges, and that amazing sand green color. Shame that sand green is so rare, that might be one of my favorite colors Lego has ever done.

Buying a second statue of liberty just for parts would be stupid, right?...

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

PowerBeard posted:

I'm kind of pissed that the preview for next weeks episode showed way too much... But the latest episode made for good background noise while I sorted out my own Lego boxes.

That’s a really good idea, I tried building with it in the background but I just get too wrapped up and don’t get much done

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

PowerBeard posted:

On the plus side, a Client of ours wants his lego house model and I've made the manual up and packaged the bricks.

Sorry if this is a stupid newbie question, but do you bespoke lego?

Because I totally didn’t know that was a thing and if so it’s super rad

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

This was also my first naughty knock-off Chinese set and I wanted to say on a lighter note many thanks to I think it was two goons (but I can't remember who, sorry), one who recommended the yourwobb store and another that vouched for the King brand.

The order was shipped quickly to the UK for free and somehow avoided any customs duty, although that could have just been luck. The set itself seems pretty good, too - unless my issue was down to something being a little off but it's more likely my fault to be honest.

It was USD95 / £70 which is a massive saving from the RRP.

Sometimes technic axles can be a bear to pull apart and redo a section you built backwards. I’ve had to resort to soft jawed pliers before :(

And cool! I’m glad you’re liking yourwobb! I’ve spent north of 3k there in the last few months alone. It’s a slippery slope of hmm, I’ll give this out-of-print set a shot, to these bricks are actually pretty great, to gently caress now I’ve got ALL of the modulars and then some, all the SW sets I ever wanted and more, a scale launchpad for the Saturn rocket, ghostbusters hq, trains and tracks for miles, hogwarts, the bigass roller coaster just came in, and a build backlog stretching into perpetuity. These things are taking over my house, bootlego is a dangerous addiction

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

tomapot posted:

In the last bulk batch I bought there were some Aquazone parts including that orange transparent shark canopy, and a couple of minifigs. If anyone wants the canopy I’m not attached to it and I’m selling the minifigs. They are listed here

PM’ed

By the way, speaking of bulk minifigs to fill out a city, anyone have any recommendations? I just bought most of the series 19 on fleabay, and I keep adding ones to my bricklink orders, but I’d love to just get an assorted pile of normalish figs.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Ineptitude posted:

I think this is the single most insane MOC i have seen.

There are plenty of "So detailed and intricate it does not look like Lego" MOCs out there but this one is in a league of its own. Its a near perfect replica of the actual camera. If just a single one of those key pieces did not exists as Lego it wouldn't be possible to make it.

I clicked through on mobile and thought the camera was an actual product ad, lol

I had to open it up in a full browser and stare closely before I realized otherwise

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

tuo posted:

I want all the Zelda LEGOs. I'd brush the dust off every day, maybe even two times a day (while all my other Lego piles up in dust). I'd play it Zelda soundtracks so it knows it is home, where it belongs. I'd put a bottle of milk next to it, and maybe even buy a small horse and an ocarina. I might even learn to play the ocarina.

Actually I won't do any of that because :effort: but please oh please Lego give me Zelda Lego.

Zelda legos? They’re a thing. I’ve got the Kopf figs and they’re surprisingly better than expected :)

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

I’m shocked Nintendo just didn’t release their own bricks:

https://customizeminifiguresintelligence.wordpress.com/2020/03/13/nintendo-was-once-a-lego-clone-brick-maker-50-years-ago/

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 12, 2020

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Carbohydrates posted:

1970 AMC Rebel "The Machine"

That is rad... I’m loving this whole series of vehicles you’re putting together. Once I get a place to city up my modulars, MOC’ing a parking garage and filling it vehicles is gonna be fun.

Would designing an El Camino be anywhere on your radar?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Carbohydrates posted:

Well friends,

I work in a restaurant. I've been called off work the past two days and I'm only on the schedule 3 times this week. I'm stopping nearly all unnecessary spending, so although I've completed a design for the 1969 Chevrolet El Camino, I won't be ordering it any time soon, I think. I have one other car's parts on the way and I'll probably just be taking a break after that.

In light of this, I'm just gonna post up a render for now. If you guys like it, I can throw down some free instructions tomorrow and someone else can build it instead if you like. Thanks for being so amazing and supportive. It's both inspiring and humbling and I appreciate you guys' support a lot.

That sucks man, hopefully this all blows over soon. It’s not much, but I picked up a few of your other instructions and I’d love to chip in a few bucks for that awesome El Camino. Bummed I’m still waiting on a handful of bricks from the UK to start building the tiny house, I really can’t tell you how geeked I am by that set!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Happy trees!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Playing doom eternal has got me seeing some weird poo poo in this magic eye