Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

deoju posted:

I feel the same. I'll look at the instructions though.

I miss the halcyon days of being able to afford every adult targeted Lego set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Holy poo poo, they actually put 15 minifigs in a licensed set for $120. Between this and the Bad Batch set, did someone at Lego get a concussion or something and wake up different?

I think that without the 15 minfigs people would focus on how bland the set itself is.

e: That said, there's not a ton they could've done with it and the brick-built mini Homer Simpson is charming.

Cloks fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 15, 2022

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm sure that I am misremembering something but right now Avatar is the least interesting theme they have done in a long time for me.

Trollz, Angry Birds, Minions?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Prophet of Nixon posted:

I had no idea these existed, ... and I kind of like that bizarre pirate ship. I don't even remember there being a movie.

There were two Angry Birds movies, I believe these were for the second?

Anyway, I'm glad my knowledge of every licensing decision Lego has made can be useful somewhere.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

MarxCarl posted:

Lego had the license for the first Angry Birds movie. A company called Edukie had the license for Angry Birds 2 - https://angrybirds.fandom.com/wiki/Edukie

Good to know, I'm happy the manufacturer of "Cool Girls Blocks" is scoring some wins.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Futanari Damacy posted:

Adult interests like cars

:barf:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
remember when you're building the tallneck to leave this single piece floating by your finished model

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Finished building the Galaxy Explorer yesterday and it's a fantastic set, it uses a lot of modern techniques to create the chunky, angular set it was inspired by. Highly recommend it, looks like it's still on sale at Walmart for $75.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I read an interview with a Lego designer recently where they said that Lego is producing sets up to five years in advance, all these expensive sets and the sheer quantity of them that they're now releasing makes sense to me if you think they took their mid-2020 projections and extrapolated from there.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

*puts on tiny party hat*

The good times will never end! People gonna stay home foreverrrrrr!

these FT headlines seem to tell that story to me

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Crazy Pigeon posted:

Box chat is funny because as I prepare to move across the country and downsize houses, I literally just flattened and threw away every Lego box I've ever hoarded (~200). The original plan was keep some to frame but I never got around to it and ended up saving everything in the basement! So if anyone wants them, I'll let you know what dumpster to go diving in!

Ha, I did this when I moved and it was incredibly liberating to just toss a huge stack of boxes into the recycling bin. I'm not going to tell anyone what to do with their boxes but I saw no value in keeping mine.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm just gonna throw a wild guess out there: many people have a stigma against jazz. So a set that is focused on a jazz club brings up those negative feelings they have towards the music that is more challenging than simple 4 on the 4, a couple chords and the same lyrics they have been hearing for years. I wonder if people who for some reason don't like french food, didn't like the parisian restaurant. I know my first reaction when I heard jazz club was "that's an odd choice, a lot of people don't like jazz."

:wtc:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
It's ridiculous to think that the yellow skin tone could ever be used a stand in for white.

Ridiculous!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Carbohydrates posted:

So, honest feedback since I want to make this thing as good as it can possibly be: what do you think?

The parking lot is boring, it reminds me of the streets in front of modular buildings but without the mini-builds. If I had to reduce the piece count, it'd be the first thing to go.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Diversified my Lego portfolio today with an investment in the new modular. I expect my holdings to increase at a decreased rate this year due to market changes so I plan to pursue a more selective strategy.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Oxyclean posted:

I wonder if any submission has made it through on vote farming then proceeded to flop commercially.

Like, do we know if any particular IDEAS sets that got released that went on to sell particularly poorly?

The Pooh set hit clearance pretty quickly.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I don't see a link to obi_ant's SA-MART Lego sale posted in here yet; these are some great prices and I've bought from them before with no issues.

Someone needs to grab that Unexpected Journey, it's a really fun set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Dr. Dirt posted:

Today, I’m helping set up Brickvention in Melbourne, Australia. The public exhibition is this weekend. I’m not exhibiting this year, just helping out.

What have you exhibited in the past?