Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

xzzy posted:

Best sets in the last 10 years are Wall-E, the F40, the Saturn V and the big Hogwarts Castle.

Runner-ups would be Benny's Spaceship, Caterham or the first Ecto-1.

For stuff that's currently available the Statue of Liberty and Mustang are top notch.

I'm interested in the Saturn V- my store still has it- however the fragility worries me. I want to be able to use it with my other Space stuff so if it's pretty much "display only" I don't see the point. My current most fragile set is the Exploriens Starship which basically cannot be picked up due to the strain/wear of the intrinsic pieces and its overall flimsy construction. Benny's Spaceship looks pretty cool and wouldn't be out of place next to that or the Galactic Mediator or Deep Freeze Defender.

(dump posting because I started reading this thread around p.1200):

I like the little ghost dog Spencer from Hidden Side (these sets are all out of stock at my location) so will probably see to getting one or two online.

The modular building sets all look super cool and are probably the closest thing to satisfying my childhood vision of building a city with roads. They're also more expensive and numerous than I could hope to accumulate, so I don't have any. Most of my sets are Space, Pirates, Castle, and City but I've been getting into Architecture lately too- curious if the Empire State Building is a good set.

Most recent purchase was the City Police Station (60141) and is on the dining room table now waiting to be assembled. I also bought the little F40 and white Porsche because why not? I love that they're making licensed cars, and cars that can actually hold a minifig, even if only one. Everything's come such a long way.

The Bloop posted:

May not be 100% "legal" but it's 100% great

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Waffling on the Saturn V. Ordered an old Pirate set (Sabre Island) for nostalgia and a new on sale 3 in 1 Creator (Townhouse/Pet Shop/Cafe).

Dribs and drabs. I'm kind of peeved the new Fire Station (60215) is just a small fire house instead of a full-blown HQ like 60110. Buying the latter is precluded by the proliferation of so many fakes. Sigh...

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Thinking about Ninjago City- is there any conceivable reason why I should NOT get it?

Would also like to hear the merits and virtues of the set vs anything modular out now

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Will either the City or Docks make it to Black Friday you think? I've got an sorting table full of pieces ready to be rebuilt into sets to keep me occupied for a bit til then.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Looks like I could get both now for $450 USD shipped- a good deal? Or worth waiting a few more weeks?

I've missed out on the regular modular town/city sets but this one interests me because it's got so much going on, like mini versions of multiple modulars. It's got a great Kowloon Walled City vibe. I know nothing about Ninjago media but the City and the City Docks both look completely engrossing without knowing the backstory.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I like the modular buildings a lot, but the one (Ideas) building I have true regret about not getting is the Old Fishing Store. Might have to rectify that as well.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I'm a grown rear end man who loves Lego like Hank Hill loves America but lol at having that in a workspace

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
They should rerelease the Town Plans, not that they’d be difficult to Bricklink but it’d be nice to just grab it off the shelf and or get VIP points for it.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Batmobile looks absolutely incredible. However my seasonal purchase budget is in Ninjago City and the accompanying Docks- they’ll be arriving a day or two before BF and returnable within 90d if I find a better deal (and am patient)- we’ll see what happens. I mostly like stuff I can integrate with the minifigs at scale so the GWP is probably more my speed, but I’m really liking that Futura-based model here:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Also when did the term LEGO ‘System’ fall out of parlance?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I had a couple of Mega Bloks sets when I was younger but even then something didn't seem right about them. I also remember Construx being a name for a different toy in the 90s, it was more of a K'Nex type thing with like rods and plates- here we go- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Construx- that redshirt looks mighty chuffed with his shuttlecraft I must say. And of course that picture is "own work", lol

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Any comments on the latest HP Knight Bus? It looks good to me but I'm thinking with a few modifications it could be even better.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Is there any fake Lego with LEGO stamping? Are Lepin bricks branded as such or are they literally counterfeit Lego?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Yiggy posted:

My go to method is just let the pieces soak in some warm soapy water and then gently rinsing in a colander.

I was gonna say, the above methods sound kind of... excessive. Though if there was a way to dry them in the dryer that would be good. But I imagine that too would scratch them and worse, make them brittle.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I am still picking out Mega Bloks from my Lego as I’m sorting it. I have a handful of pieces at the moment. feel like melting them in the microwave or something because there’s not enough to build with if I gave them away and too much to garbage imo

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
A bookstore like the Strand in NYC would be pretty great. Floor to ceiling books on multiple floors, and a section for rare books in glass cases on the top floor. A library would work too. There might be more freedom with that.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Right now, Costco Canada website has Ninjago City for $280 CAD (about $210 US) :homebrew:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I actually like there's only the two of them, City and Docks- it makes it cheaper to make it a "complete" series. The modulars I feel are kind of overkill for the number you need. The fact that I missed the boat on the early ones has something to do with that as well- but I'm not consistently blown away by them either. If I could only get one, I dunno which it would be because none jumps out at me more than the rest. With NC there's so much going on- each room of each level is different and detailed, like a micro-compressed version of modular sets coming together.

I really like the pink Cadillac that comes with the Diner- they should do more classic type cars like that.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Live by the credit card, die by the credit card

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Walmart had a pretty good online deal and I snapped them both up. Taking a while for delivery though (I’m picking up from the store rather than having $500 snatched off my porch)

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Totally getting the Safari truck. I hope those are printed pieces and not stickers.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I highly doubt that unfortunately. You could always retrofit it with the printed parts from this set though:

That's a neat little set. I usually just leave stickers off if I don't think they add anything. We'll see how it looks plain, and maybe I'll add them on after.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I essentially go out of my way to buy from non-Lego sources. I can't think about accumulating or redeeming points when Amazon or other stores have flat out better deals. Most of the sets I collect are OOP so there's also no option for points purchasing those. I love going to the physical Lego store to see what's new but I've probably spent less than $300 the whole time it's been there.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Build all the LEGO

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Would be nice to see standardized shipping rates instead of it being the Wild West. This weekend I got some good deals and some not so good deals from third party sellers having pieces shipped from Europe. My bad for locking in the order pre quote, but I’m paying a 2 euro handling fee and 10 euro shipping on a 2 euro piece. It will be the single most expensive piece in my entire collection

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I for one welcome our new LEGO overlords

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I literally just started buying stuff off BL this weekend and I'm already sick of getting juiced by the sellers

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The legal/illegal build thing is cool. I was envisioning the Audi that hosed everything up to be a giant Technics model as opposed to a polybag with no instructions

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I just learned about the lug bulk thing and yeah, not okay for resellers to profit off that. But really, any third party involved in sale or resale is profiteering, and really doesn’t help anything. It’s totally unearned money and is more symptomatic of the shittiness of capitalism than LEGO’s acquisition of the site is.

The only MOC I’m interested in making is an office tower taller than me, which was always going to be expensive, and honestly I’d rather get it all in one place and not be hosed around by different sellers. LEGO is probably not interested in us getting a good deal but neither are the sellers honestly so what is this really beyond a change in the name of our masters. We couldn’t possibly be hosed any worse than we are now, right? (Famous last words...). I mostly just think the LEGO group is a more reputable, rational outfit than some of the people who are currently profiting off it.

Let the bodies minifigs hit the floor.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
“Custom” pieces are not LEGO and it makes sense not to sell them along actual real LEGO. Why not just go full mega blocks if that’s the angle

Yes, LEGO is a capitalist company but so is every seller on the site. I will not cry for Small Business Owners losing money they never earned in the first place.

A lot of ingenuity goes into the creation of the sets and it’s the easiest thing in the world to just go “those fuckers never do anything right” but I’d rather give them my money, facilitating more sets and pieces, than someone who is literally just a middleman contributing nothing to the world of lego

:dukedoge:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The 250 GTO from the Ultimate Garage is the best Ferrari so far, it should be released as its own thing because the polybag one doesn't cut it

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I think I need the Tree House. I wonder if it’ll go on sale eventually?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Blue Moonlight posted:

While I’d agree that I most enjoy building the modulars, I really enjoyed the treehouse for its level of detail and organic shapes. The only major disappointment I had was that swapping the foliage colors is a PITA, so I haven’t attempted it.

It looks hard. Thinking of getting some light and dark pink cherry blossom leaves for it too once I get it.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

Does anyone have experience selling Lego on Ebay? I'm selling some sets, and I always keep the boxes, but I'm not sure if it's better to list them with or without them. On one hand, I figure the box will make it more desirable to bid on/possibly fetch a few more dollars. On the other other hand the amount of headache it'll be to find a bigger box to put them in as well as the added shipping cost might it not worth it.

If it’s not sealed, you can always just flat pack the box, saving you and the buyer some shipping cost

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I find the best way to disassemble sets is to put them neatly away in plastic bins and let the natural entropy of being moved around in the basement mix everything together

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I feel like for the money, there could be a bit more greebling for the Star Destroyer than just plain studded plates. 1x2 vent pieces etc- at that scale I'm sure you could make it exactly like in the movie, at least more than currently.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
As my giant pile of pieces gets whittled away through building the old sets I still have manuals for, it is becoming apparent I have at least one original town plan set (minus base)- lots of pieces with the old LEGO font printing and many of them fit quite loosely with the newer pieces.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Old LEGO is weird for the reason that all the doors and windows from town plans etc are hot wheels/matchbox/majorette scale as opposed to minifig scale.

Also isn’t that piece above just warped? Or what is the intended functionality of that particular one being slightly different?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

That particular one is warped, yes.

That's not the point though, that part (4x4 corner brick) hasn’t been made since the 60’s and I can see it being quite useful.

Interesting, I have a ton of these and never realized they haven’t been in any modern set. I was wondering what was different about this particular one beside the warping- didn’t realize it was out of print. Neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Wow.

I have to say the latest one is magnificent, especially in the company of the others. It’s the best design of the Batmobile of any movie and it really shows at that enlarged scale