Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
If it isn't broken, fix it till it is.
What is better than one Excavator? How about two, with TRU's Buy One, Get One 50% off deal for $325 with tax?

Their bags don't support the weight of two of these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
Have the series 2 made it to the US yet? I've been checking my local TRU and have not heard anything from them.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
For those looking for Mini Figs in Las Vegas, most of the targets don't have them out, but they will pull boxes for you. They said they are to have them setup on Monday.

8750 W Charleston Blvd has 58
278 SS Decatur Blvd has 120
4155 S Grand Canyon Drive has 113
4001 S Maryland Pkwy has 120
4100 Blue Diamond Rd has 11
3210 N Tenaya Way has 4
2189 W Craig Rd has 114
9725 S Eastern Ave has 63
6371 N Decatur Blvd has 114

Good luck. I bought a bunch from the W Charleston Blvd one, had to ask for them to check if 973419130486 was in stock, they said yes, but was in the back. And they pulled me a box.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
Toys R Us online is doing Buy One, Get One 50% off for LEGO till Feb 26. Finally going to get the Motorbike I've been looking at for a while but didn't want to spend $40 on.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

Elendil004 posted:

Thank you Toys'R'Us... This was the result of the ongoing deal there.
Nice, we only got the 7938 Passenger Train, our first train set. Also my Space Pimp set came in the mail today. No other set I've had in a while brought me back to the days I was 7 years old building space ship, everything about the set is cool. It has purple and gold all over it, an air scoop for the engine, shoots, a trunk that can hold other figures that you plan to give concrete shoes to, and more.

And it is very, very high on the swooshable scale, even for adult hands.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
A little while ago, people were talking about Nano Blocks a bit. I purchased one around Christmas time, and it really is the best non-Lego blocks out there. The detail is pretty great, though it can be a bit wobbly a bit since it is such small connections.

Space Shuttle one is my favorite. The whole shuttle and main boosters are really strong and highly swooshable, but the side boosters are very weak since they use a ton of 1x1 round pegs. They all can easily split apart, letting me make my own pretend shuttle launch and then split the side boosters off, then the main booster.

I also go the piano one which is awesome with detail as well.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

Pyroclastic posted:

It's at least $100 overpriced.
Wonder where all that money goes....

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

drivel posted:

I'm looking to buy one or two big lego sets for the 'kids' for xmas. I'm currently looking at two of the modular buildings, maybe the Grand Emporium and the Pet Shop or the Fire Brigade.

Anyone know of a better deal than buying them straight off lego.com at $150 each?

I'm getting them shipped to the US and then taking them home on a plane to Australia as the aussie prices are retarded.

If you notice it early, whenever Toys R Us does their buy one, get one 50% off deal, that is where I managed to pickup two Tower Bridges (sold the second one for retail price) and got a train + Grand Emporium, saving me tons of money. But generally when the sale is on, you only have half a day on the first day to place the order before it goes out of stock online.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
After having the 8043 Excavator sitting on my shelf for about a year, finally got the time to build it. I wanted to build it right, so I spent a bit of time organizing the parts. Still took about 5 hours to build the thing. Following the suggestions of people from brickset.com, I took time to make sure every gear, linear actuator, and joint were setup right and smooth, and I have no problems at all with it lifting or moving that others have complained about (I did get the updated actuators from Lego).

Surprised at how few spare parts are left over. I've had tiny little $15 Technic sets with more spare parts.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

Squashy Nipples posted:

My mom was one of those crazy people who got up early and went to Walmart, so I asked her to pick me up one of those $30 tubs...

No dice. The folks at the store said it was the first thing to sell out.

I stayed at home and ordered online from Wal-Mart and got two. From what I've been reading elsewhere, it has randomly been going in and out of stock online all day if you want to try your luck there.

Mine GO BOOM fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 26, 2011

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

nws posted:

Surely an extreme minifig site exists. Google didn't help, but I'd be very surprised if something wasn't out there. Anyone know of one?

I'm pretty sure this is common for a lot of people. While traveling around the world, I often see people (who are always alone) pull out Lego minifigs and set them up for shots. Was pretty cool walking on the Great Wall of China and seeing some European looking guy with a decked out DSLR setting up a pirate minifig for a shot. I smiled when I recognized it as one of the pirate minifigs I had in the late 1980's.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

Gravy Jones posted:

So I was looking for a project to work on to brush up on a few different development skills and I ended up deciding to work on a Lego Amazon price-checker as (a) it was a convergance of a lot of these skills and (b) I'm a compulsive bargain hunter and would actually use this thing. I'm planning to do some pretty fancy stuff with it eventually, but for now it's pretty much just data. But while I have this data I thought I might as well share it so I'm dumping it to a webpage here.

You need to be coming from SA to view it so bookmark this post, not that page. At the moment I'm only updating it manually daily. But it should be automated and hourly by the end of the week or so. I know other sites do this, but eventually I'm planning to incorporate some stuff that I don't think anyone else is doing. One of the main ones is looking at some kind of wishlist/push notification system to alert you when certain sets hit certain prices.... although that might be a little ambitious. Also, I've already found (and bought) something cool that Bricklink missed, so theres that at least. Edit: Oh, UK and US only at present.

I'd recommend comparing the prices to the MSRP because Amazon's list price is sometimes all over the place. Take the set my wife is looking at, Emma's Splash Pool 3931.

Amazon - List price $9.99, selling for $6.99 (30% off)
Toys R Us - Normal price $6.99
Lego.com - Normal price $5.99
Brickset - Recorded as $5.99 normal price

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
My fondling cheat is to make a 4x4 stack of them as I feel each one up with which one it is (usually have a printed sheet with me, or I just make it up looking on the phone). When someone else comes by and asks for one as I'm building out my two-of-everything collection, I hand them extras if I have it. Of course, once I get to like 5 of the skater guy in a pile, I just toss them back into the empty part of the box/shelve and continue.

When I'm starting off, I generally can't tell them apart very well and make a separate pile of "I don't knows" that I go back to if I don't have everything, or I'm missing like 2 piles of guys. Really makes building out the collection much easier than "oh poo poo, I missed X, time to refondle."

One time a TRU employee came by and asked if I'm going to buy them all. I said I only get two of each, and he asked if he could write on the ones I didn't want but already sorted. He went to get a pen and wrote on the bottom what they were for any kids who came in later looking for something.

And the little 4 year old kid who really wanted a dwarf loved me. He got a few randomly from friends as gifts, but really wanted the dwarf. His dad didn't seem to much into the fondling, but wouldn't let him buy more than one so being handed a dwarf from me made his day.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

Torael_7 posted:

Of course I wasn't. I was at college. :negative:

That's okay, I have tons more now than I ever had before. :unsmith:
I actually did get my Lego collection from my parents after having not touched them for 10 years. Turns out, my memory of my collection was much, much larger than it really was. They all fit, still mostly assembled, into just three paper ream boxes with little to no organization.

Just looking at the couple of modular houses I have and the 8043 Excavator alone puts my old collection to shame. But then again, I now have M-Tron, Ice Planet, and old fashion Pirate mini-figs and parts to play with now.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

Perhaps a penguin posted:

On the same note, which supercar do you guys think would be amazing to see in Lego form, especially in a licensed set?
Ariel Atom. Or maybe in RC format.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
I'm looking for lots and lots of base plates to attach to a wall. Instead of buying them in bulk from someone for $6-$12 each, does anyone know of a third party that makes large base plates that isn't complete crap? I'm looking to cover a large portion of a hallway with base plates that will have little scenes attached to them.

Sort of like this:

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

SynthOrange posted:

Picked up a nanoblock set on the weekend and assembled it. It's uh... fiddly. The pieces are an eighth of the size of their Lego counterparts and are very slippery. They dont grip very well either, though you can do weird things like centrally stack an even numbered block on an odd numbered one due to the lack of guide holes. Still, this results in something that will fall apart at a glace, and the builds are really weak. Fun to look at, but they dont last. And god help you if a piece rolls off your desk onto a similar coloured surface.

While traveling in Asia a while ago, I saw these and got the Space Shuttle for myself and a piano for my wife. The piano matches exactly your description, but the shuttle is pretty well built and is actually playable (designed to separate the boosters and main shuttle). Granted, the launch pad will fall apart if someone touches it, but that doesn't matter as much.

Looks great on my desk at work, which is pretty much the only good use for them. At least when it is together, it actually is together and isn't like MegaBlok where you see weird gaps everywhere because the pieces are accurately molded.

EDIT: From my old post, here is the picture of it built:

Mine GO BOOM fucked around with this message at 11:38 on May 20, 2012

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

Saint Sputnik posted:

That's awesome, but KMart is so poo poo. I saw the sale and raced over to the store down the road, and held in my hand some sets in the sale that aren't listed online as being at that store, and they told me it's an online only discount.
Just placed an order for 9 sets, let's see how many I'll actually get when I pick them up tomorrow. Of course, out of 7 K-marts in the area, everyone except the furthermost one lists themselves as being out of stock. Now I have to drive like eight times as far to go get them (but gently caress is this a good saving).

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

And I have a feeling they'll say "No Monster Hunters, Friends, or Star Wars allowed" for the BOGO.
I have gotten the Tower Bridge, Motorized Excavator, Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, and other $100+ sets, all from TRU BOGO50% sale.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

Well aren't you mister Fancypants with your Toys R Uses what have Modulars in'em.
All the ones I listed were from checking online (excluding the excavator). Do it late, late Saturday and their system will kick in the BOGO50% sale before some items go out of stock (sure they are, especially when they get back in stock exactly one week later). The Tower Bridge was a tricky one done over the phone. Bought it the day before the sale (gift my wife got for me, didn't know the sale was coming she was just being nice) and called them up during the sale to "cancel" it. They offered to ship out another one at 50% off.

Mine GO BOOM fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 10, 2012

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
The 8070 Supercar is pretty sweet. Once I get a few more remotes, I'm going to hack it up into driving mode.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

Ika posted:

Can anyone from the UK buy me one of these ( http://legostig.co.uk/ ) and ship it to germany?
Anyone willing to get two for me and ship to USA? I'll take three if you can manage it (since limit 5 per UK household), but I would really like two (me + gift).

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

kefkafloyd posted:

Yeah, I learned my lesson with the Sopwith Camel. Separate all of the parts by color before you get building. It'll take you an extra half hour or so of time up-front, but it'll save you hours on the back end when you're frantically picking through a pile to find that one particular piece.

My usual strategy is to just dump the bags that I get into separate piles and use that as a storing guide. Usually after the first couple of grabs, I get a "feel" for which pile most likely has the piece I need based upon what else is in those piles. Like when doing the Tower Bridge with my family, I was the "master sorter" guy. Sitting on the floor with every bag opened into its own piles (all cheese slopes went into a plastic box), when someone got to a step and needed 24x of some piece I would pick it out and line it up for them. This worked well with two builders and me as the piece picker since often they would need some ungodly multiple of a piece to make 16x of the same item.

Rarely though, I get into an organizational mood with a set, and sort them into something a bit more logical:

Squashy Nipples posted:

Anyone know the scoop on this part? What was going wrong? I have some of the older actuators, and have had no problems with them.

If you had any issues with them, just call up lego for the Repair Kit for that set. I built mine with the fixed version, and have used the older actuators in other MOCs without any issues, so I have no first hand experience of any problems. Someone did do a nice writeup about the differences if you want to get a more technical overview of the changes.

Mine GO BOOM fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 28, 2012

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

ChesterJT posted:

I see people say this and every time I buy a set and can't find a certain piece (I'm a pile guy) I think "oh no it finally happened to me!" and then I find it hiding under something else. 20+ years and so far no missing pieces, fingers crossed!

I get that feeling too being a pile-type guy and have spent 20+ minutes looking all over the place for a piece. Then I go check the plastic bags and sure enough, despite how much I shake those things and double check them, a little 1x1 round blue peg gets stuck in a corner of the bag.

Sorry to hear of missing pieces. Worse I ever had was stickers missing, which was of no problem to me (I have a small drawer of unapplied stickers).

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

uXs posted:

Ooh, a building. I love buildings. Too bad that it's always open at the back though, I'd prefer something that folds open.
Obviously so you can buy two and combine together. Use with Toys-R-Us's Buy One, Get One 50% sale.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
31036 – Toy & Grocery Shop

I really hope this is a continuation of 31026 Bike Shop & Cafe. I love the modulars, and I love the Creator modulars as well.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

Overemotional Robot posted:

I love finding good LEGO deals. My wife and I found the Cargo Truck (60020) on clearance for $19 and Battle At The Black Gate (79007) for $29. We had to buy them for the savings alone. Right? Right...?

I do this too. Now I have a ton of 4644 Marina (got 7 for $10 each) and other sets that I have not opened yet but have for giving gifts (legos work great for anyone's kid) or later when I finally get around to organizing my parts into a room and spending the next few years building things. Until then, 1000+ piece display sets on all the shelves!

PS> The space above kitchen cabinets work really well for storing lots of lego boxes. Can glance at the sets from the side and you don't really use that space for anything else.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
For building, I have been very happy with the piles that come out of the bags. Lego has done a good job where certain items are almost always with other certain items in a bag, so I just dump each bag into its own pile and can usually get a good feel which pile has which stuff immediately. Every so often I'll organize the bricks nicely when building a set I really enjoy, such as 42009, but that is maybe once a year.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

My local store in Watford has a couple of Haunted Houses still. I think Westfield Shepherds Bush does too.

Haunted Houses are going for a good price on eBay already (>$300) if you want to flip.

I have convinced my wife to allow me to purchase a ton of the big expensive sets when they are buy one, get one 50% off with the promise that in a few years we'll throw that doubled set on eBay. Bonus is if it isn't a set that sells for a nice profit, we keep and open for parts. Either way, we end up saving between 50-100% of the original set price or we gain a ton of bricks to build with.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

ChesterJT posted:

I have the BSB with all sails. Not sure how to get the exact dimensions to you, maybe take a few pictures next to a ruler or something? I would imagine you could find that online already but I'm guessing you' already looked and didn't find anything.

If you can stick it on a scanner, that will give you the exact dimensions needed. Then he can just print it out and use it as a guide when cutting fabric.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

anotherblownsave posted:

My son is gonna have one hell of a Christmas. I picked up the lego train. Set 60052. He's been asking for it for over a year, and would specifically ask to go to the store to see the train. I can't wait to see his face.

I didn't even notice that set, and now that you pointed it out, I want it too. Pretty sure this thread has more than tripled the purchases I would normally make because of all the recommendations in here... Keep them coming, because I've been loving every purchase (so glad I got the space pimp limo).

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

Gabriel Pope posted:

Occasionally when I'm cleaning up and come across a random generic 1x1 in a pile of couch crap or something I'll just toss it if I don't feel like getting out the bins :twisted:

My wife and I have little glass bottles (Martinelli's Apple Juice) all over the house, so when we find random pieces or have left overs from builds, we put them into those and once they get full, we dump into our large random-pieces bin.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

Mortuus posted:

Does anyone know when the new sets usually are available on Amazon? I really wanna get the city truck with the porta-potty.

I do too, but 60073 Service Truck doesn't appear to be in the USA yet.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
I guess the economy recovered, because Target/Walmart have almost nothing for big clearance near me. Last few years I got so many awesome sets 50-80% off because they were retiring, the stores were dumping them and no one bought them. This year, almost all the sets got wiped out when it was only 10-20% off.

I also didn't see Toys-R-Us doing any BOGO50% off sales during the holidays. I could have sworn they did last year. Was hoping to pick up duplicates of 31015 Emerald Express and 31026 Bike Shop once they got past the TRU tax phase. Any ideas when you'll do their next round of sales?

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

Ika posted:

Video with the new lego technic models for the summer. (At least the crawler crane and arocs, and the fire plane is in the back of some of the shots) I am going to be so broke once they are released.

I didn't care too much for the big Technic sets in 2014, but those two look wonderful.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

It's not Star Wars, but Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP! from the Lego Movie is an absolute must-have, and if you decide you want one when it's out of production, it's guaranteed to skyrocket in price the moment it's off store shelves, so now's better than later.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Benny-s-Spaceship-Spaceship-SPACESHIP-70816

Also get it from anywhere but lego.com, it has been on sale so many different places for $80 or less. Amazon has it for $81 right now.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

Dogen posted:

The last two waves of Harry Potter are in a tub in our shed because they fell the gently caress apart when we moved a couple miles and my wife tossed all the instructions (they're her sets).

Brickset.com is a godsent for things like this. Keep track of which sets you have and they have handy links to lego.com's instruction sets so you can rebuild them. Now I don't feel bad for throwing instruction sets away for all the tiny sets.

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

Ineptitude posted:

Anyone else built the 2015-release green Technic 24Hour racer yet?

By far the most unenjoyable Lego build of my life. I am only on page 100 out of 250 and already i have been through around 10 illegal assembly methods, the type where you really need to BEND away other pieces to get the current pieces in, or other assembly methods that look so out of place and simply wrong/impossible that you are left with a feeling that you built something wrong somewhere earlier down the line. One of the longer (10L) technic pins i had to bend away at a 45-60ish degree angle actually looks permanently deformed/damaged...

I assume you mean something like this? I generally watch speed builds of all the big technics sets to see if it is something I'm interested in, and I didn't notice in this guy's build anything else that looked illegal or weird. But yeah, that is a pretty crappy bend to get the gears in. Call up Lego, mention that step to them. Also mention the fact that it bends the piece and they'll most likely mail you a new one. If enough people complain about specific steps, they sometimes will reissue instructions in later print runs that fix steps, or add supplement instructions to fix steps. In some cases they'll issue repair kits to fix fundamental issues they can't just change instructions to fix.

Lego customer service is awesome. I recently had two packages mailed to me, both to arrive on the same day. One did, the other said the address didn't exist for a delivery time an hour later and got returned to sender. Called Lego up, they are remailing me the items again with overnight shipping and replaced one out of stock $15 set with a $27 set. Amusingly, the package I got Fedex says was 4lbs, the one I didn't get Fedex says was 60 pounds. drat, I wish I knew what was in that box I missed, assuming that weight was accurate (newly shipped box was only 3 lbs).

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002
Just found out that not only does Toys-R-Us price match lego.com prices (say good-bye to TRS tax forever), but they'll price match their sales as well. And it just so happens that the word "Sold Out" on individual items is just slightly off the screen on a mobile device, so I got to price match against a sold out, retired set knocking $40 off the TRS listed price and getting myself a set I missed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mine GO BOOM
Apr 18, 2002

NESguerilla posted:

Which set was it?

The Technic 62006 Excavator. I was mad I missed it before it retired (was waiting for B1G1 50% sale to cancel TRS tax or double VIP) because it is reselling high on eBay and I didn't want to pay so much for it. Now I got one cheap.