Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I wish I had found this thread years ago, who knew it was hidden away in DIY?

A couple years back I started recollecting Lego, mainly concentrating on all the classic space sets I never had as a kid. In that time I've acquired way too many sets (mostly by buying larger lots of unsorted pieces) and for the past few months have begun ebaying off my extra sets. For the most part I've been doing it in complete themes as its less hassle for me that way.

And the set I currently have up for auction:

Including the first MOC I've done in forever:

In the near future will be Blacktron I and Futuron at least, and then after that I'm not sure what direction I want to go with the hobby. My original goal was only all the classic (non-sub themed) space sets, which I know I'm at least 98% complete at, but after that I don't know if I'll get rid of them too as they will mostly just sit in containers otherwise. Half the fun so far has been getting large unsorted collections and working backwards trying to figure out what sets they were originally when all I have to go on are a couple specialty pieces and minifigs, but it also is a huge time sink. I also have a huge assortment of random non-space sets because of this, all of which have to go because I'm running out of room.

Before I sound too gloomy about this, I will say that I do like the modern sets that I have built and Lego building techniques have advanced so much from the early Legoland sets. Like the Galaxy Explorer is a just whole bunch of plates stacked on top of each other surrounding a box. And almost all the old bases are kinda disappointing and in hindsight I'm glad I got more ships as a kid instead of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

Multi core Magnetizer was the greatest thing ever. I love digging through my parts to reassemble it every few years.
I think it’s my favorite capital ship/flagship sized set (even though it’s the only wheeled one). I’m definitely keeping one in my collection.

I’ve seen a lot of recent MOCs inspired by it, I like this giant Ice Planet one: https://www.flickr.com/photos/thebrickbin/13185640345/in/photostream

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Next group that has to go, probably my favorite classic space sub-theme.

I like how the base actually seems functional, unlike Blacktron II which only has a staircase to lights and a landing pad. This covered hallway that leads to the big canopy area when its close is a nice detail:

The mix and match feature probably was probably their best attempt at that kind of gimmick, especially since it worked with 4/6 of the sets:

If I could ever get instructions for any alt build, it would probably be for this one from the base:

Its like a giant Alienator.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

I've been wanting to do this since I was a little boy. So for my birthday this year I did. Unfortunately I couldn't get a good pic and it was originally far too busy with nearly every free space covered. I ended up removing a bunch of sets and leaving behind ones that I liked more and the big ships, of course:

And now that I have accomplished this goal, I am going to start selling this stuff off. I'm not selling it all, of course. I will probably keep all the earliest sets and certain other ones. I already know I am going to sell 6980 and the big big ship. Galaxy Explorer would probably be the very last Lego set I would sell from my collection.

Anyway, unless you have roughtly 2x as much space as I had, which is 24 plates, there is no way to get the whole Classic Space collection down in a gigantic space station. I took some other pics but nothing came out particularly well.
Congrats! This has been my goal as well and with classic space having about 90 sets total I quickly realized there was no way to display them all, not to mention all the later space themes. I'm mostly going to end up only keeping a copy of the sets I had as a kid and maybe a few others and sell the rest as a full collection (which I have been doing with the later space themes).

edit: Robot Command Center didn't make the cut??

DrChu fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Aug 28, 2020

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Scipiotik posted:

I've got one of those somewhere, so probably late 80s early 90s race set.

Mine was definitely victory lap speedway, a great set that I remember quite fondly!

I got most of this set in a large lot and recently finished getting the final parts I needed to put it together:

I like how they used those spacey three angle panels to make up the grandstand and those big corners to make up the pillars.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

My method of sorting is probably terrible but its been working for me. I would love to go to a container per part type, but there are so many different parts and storage is expensive.

New color goes into a bin (I've been using these but they seem out of stock everywhere now - https://www.target.com/p/sterilite-6qt-clear-storage-box-white-lid/-/A-13794902)
Once bin starts getting full split into two, one for plates and another for bricks
Once those start getting full split into a bin for 1xX plates/bricks, and 2xX or greater plates/bricks
Stack like bricks together (so I'll have strips of 20 1x1 bricks, 20 1x2 bricks, etc in one container. Makes it easy to find ones of matching quality. I have not tried that with plates yet)
Speciality parts go into their own container. For example I have one for slopes, another for inverted slopes, round parts, engines, doors, etc.
I have a stack of these - https://www.amazon.com/Darice-Organizer-Spill-32COMP-13-7X8-6X1/dp/B001B0S2H6/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=darice+bin&qid=1599352434&sr=8-5 (which have doubled in price recently) for sorting very small pieces. I have one for 1x translucent parts, a few for minifig accessories, one of small tiles, printed tiles, printed bricks, technic parts, etc

Right now I'm in a no new parts phase, unless its a specific part needed to finish off a set. I would love to catalog everything I have into someplace like Rebrickable to see what sets I can build or almost build, but I think I am going to move soon and that would take way too long.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Waltzing Along posted:

Do you ever buy incomplete sets with the intention of completing them on BL? I find it thrilling in a way. I get a kick out of inventorying the set when it arrives and then ordering the pieces to finish it. Something about this feels very satisfying. I mean, I don't do this just all willy-nilly. It's done with the intention of saving $ in the long run. It's more work, of course.

Every time I've done it, it has worked out well. Except for my one goodwill purchase. Yikes was that a disaster. I think I ended up losing $50-$100 on that one. It was like 10 sets, none of which were complete. And they were much less complete than the pictures indicated. So yeah. Was still fun.

Most of my collection has been buying large unsorted lots (most locally form craigslist, FB Marketplace, etc) and figuring out what sets they used to be. I got pretty good at finding the unique elements or figures in pictures to see if it'd be worth pursuing in the first place. Then when I would get the set, I'd separate all the weird pieces I'd never seen before and make up a potential inventory of sets, and then start looking for other identifying parts.

When I first started I was under the mistaken impression that older sets used so many generic parts and it'd be easy to throw together whatever I wanted. However I quickly realized how so many sets will have a rare part, or common part in a rare color, that if you want to build it "correctly" you'd better hope the bricklink gods are happy with you that day.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

This will probably be the extent of our Halloween decorating this year:

Lit up by some cheap LED tea lights.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

The UCS Star Destroyer is probably pretty close.

Do you mean the Midi-scale Star Destroyer?
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalo...%204/5/6%5D#T=I

Or I misread that as scale of the completed piece and you meant this relatively small model would be in scale in universe to the huge UCS Star Destroyer set.

DrChu fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 9, 2020

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Even not factoring in the color scheme and minifig deco, Blacktron I was the better theme. The component swapping of the vehicles and ships was probably the best out of all the old space sets and would allow you get actual new configurations, Blacktron II’s pods are almost nearly identical and don’t really look any different when you swap them around. The original’s base actually feels like a base, as opposed to a landing pad with a staircase that goes nowhere and some blinking lights.

Over the long weekend I tried to do some sorting

What a mess.

I’ve had the basic bins set up for a while, but pretty much any unsorted/bulk lot I’ve bought in the past year is still in the box it shipped in. I keep them separated initially to help limit the pieces to make it easier to figure out what sets they originally came from, but after all the worthwhile sets are pulled out I’m left with a bunch of random pieces, waiting to join the general population. I got through maybe two boxes, but I probably ended up spending more time resorting bins and dividing ones up once they became too full. I’m a bit jealous when I see people here getting those very nice storage units with tons of little bins, but at a dollar each I’m going to stick with this setup, and maybe add some baggies to help further subdivide some of the bins.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I feel like I just did a drug deal with a grandma in a mall parking lot

DrChu
May 14, 2002

$200, so she did some research at least. All the monorail parts are here, as well as all the stickered pieces so everything hard to find is accounted for at least.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

The instructions are in rough shape, but complete. I'm going to need to put them under some books to try to flatten them out some. It was missing about 15 pieces and two minifigs, I had everything but one of the minifigs in my spares so not too bad. Plus it had a handful of other parts including a printed piece I needed, bonus!

The switches on the track get stuck so I need to figure out a way to loosen them up some.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I think I have almost every Futuron set pieced together by now, but I haven't had a chance to build them yet. I like they tried to bring the modular gimmick to even smaller sets, it looks like the Star Defenders ends can pop off and then you have those little vehicles too. Those big clear panels do feel like kind of a cheap way to bulk up a set, as a kid I had the Blacktron II set that did that and didn't like it as much as traditional canopies and other cockpit pieces.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah - I dont think brickset has it in their database - was curious if it got used in other sets.

It looks like Brickset is trying to pull that inventory from Lego.com, and only the pieces that have a current counterpart are coming through. If you click around you can use it to pull from Rebrickable or Bricklink instead:

https://brickset.com/inventories/6959-1/rebrickable

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I've been waiting almost a month for an order from eBay that finally arrived today.

This may have been the most I've spent on a per-part basis, those little sails go for stupid money on Bricklink but luckily the auction wasn't titled very well so I saved some money getting these as a group. I needed just about all of these to complete some sets I ended up with in various part lots I've bought in the past couple years.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

fappenmeister posted:

Collecting Lego again has made me remember why I've tried to cut down on buying physical items in general - lack of space and storage. Seeing some people's collections and storage/display space blows my mind.

This is why I have been selling groups of sets once I complete them. I've found I get the most enjoyment out of getting unsorted lots, figuring out what sets were in there, getting the missing the pieces, and then building the sets. I have a house but nowhere good to display more than a couple sets, and having closets with big storage bins filled with bagged, broken down sets mostly gives me anxiety. Completing a theme gives me a sense of accomplishment, and its cool being able to get all the sets I saw in the catalogs as a kid but couldn't get, but then what? I don't play with the sets like I did as a kid, and I'm not much of a MOC maker, and to be honest a lot of the old sets aren't really that great.

Once I get the "get all the old sets I've ever wanted" out of my system, I'm going to get rid of the majority of my collection aside from a few vintage sets that have some meaning for me, and some current ones that I think are good.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I use recently sold ones on eBay to figure out a price. On eBay it’s easier to find the ones actually similar to yours (in terms of completeness and condition). On Bricklink the numbers are skewed because so many people list sets as complete, minus minifigures, or incomplete missing a large number of parts or something like “just the side build” and there are hardly ever pictures.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

3% hydrogren peroxide is all that seems to be readily available in the US so that's what I use (its about $1 per quart at the supermarket). If its the summer and bright outside I'll do that, otherwise I use a 50W UV LED light on my kitchen counter. Takes much longer, but in the winter or when otherwise overcast and cold I wouldn't be able to do anything otherwise. I get best results on whites because you can just leave those pieces in there forever until they brighten up, but lately I've been using it on old light gray to fix up some castle sets. You can use it on printed pieces too, but I've found you need to be careful as the printing can get a little soft and able to be rubbed off by other pieces in the container so I try to do those separate now. The trick with colors in general is to check often, have known good bricks on hand to compare the color and stop when you get close enough.

Before I got the UV light I did the sous vide method and had some success with that as well, it requires a little more setup and some experimentation with the temp to find out what works best for you.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I recently sold a 6080 King's Castle and even though that was the "big" classic castle its also boring as hell.

(excuse the auction photos)

It does look a little impressive all opened up

But its literally all a facade

There's nothing to the interior at all. Aside from the portcullis the only other play feature is a lock-up cell in one of the back corners

If you got all the little sets that could connect to it like the blacksmith's shop and the armor shop that would help a little (though the different baseplate heights is annoying). Black Falcon's Fortress which followed this looks a little better but still suffers from the same feeling of it being a fence around nothing. Even though a lot of people don't like the big molded baseplates, castles started getting more fun when they introduced those.

This new one looks alright though, combining the fun elements of the later sets with the fold-out feature of the earlier ones.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Took a chance on this FB Marketplace lot today, mostly because it seemed like it had most of the pieces for the Blacktron base:

What I couldn't tell from the pictures was how filthy it is. Like, there's just large amount of actual dirt on some pieces, and lots of parts look like they've spent time in a rock tumbler. However, most of the hard to find parts of the base are there, as well a chunk of the Renegade ship and a lot of the Victory Lap Raceway. Speaking of the latter, this was in interesting find:

I've never come across a misprint like that before. I can't imagine there's much of a market for that since its not as interesting as weird Star Wars minifigs or whatever, but I may chuck it on eBay anyway.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I guess that Adidas set wasn't going to be a must-get item with the shoe collectors like some people in this thread predicted it would be.

I was able to get a Castle in the Forest preorder in. Now I'm debating the Blacksmith to complement it, and worried if that will lead to the 3-in-1 Castle set.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Usually I get my parts off of Bricklink or eBay, but I wasn't having any luck recently trying to find a stupid rare expensive piece that was unbroken, and then I remembered Brick Owl existed and lucked into one of the best sellers ever.

That packaging is better than factory packaging I get from most things I buy. Each part type in its own cell, the fragile stuff bubble wrapped and sealed in air pockets. Most sellers use baggies in a padded envelope and hope for the best.

The reason for the order:

That barding was only used in two sets and the clips on the sides break easily.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I recently bought the Medieval Blacksmith set, and it caused me to dig out some of my old castle sets. I've also been looking at buying some of the barding I missed from earlier sets, and hot drat, I didn't realize that specifically was such a hot market. I can only assume you paid both an arm and a leg for one with two good c-clips.

I got it for $20, which may be the most I’ve paid for a single piece but was also priced low enough to have me set up an account and go through all the trouble of importing my want lists into Brick Owl.

I think the old castle unique parts are much harder to come by than the space parts. Stuff like the LL928 bricks only came on one set, but you can easily pick those up for a couple bucks each (those transparent yellow antennas and dishes are a lot more expensive though!). Castle you can complete like 90% of a set easily, but the things like printed flags and shields are easily lost or broken, and some of the bigger parts like the panels and corners (especially the red and striped ones) only showed up once.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Under certain lights in my house a mint condition old light grey piece looks almost the same as light bluish grey, but under others the difference is obvious.

Old dark grey was a much more seldom used color, it didn’t seem to get much use until the mid 90s, and it is not as easily mistaken for the dark bluish grey so I don’t think it gets as much attention.

I think the light bluish grey is a better color overall, but they really made a few bad decisions with the rollout. I think the worst one was that first UCS Star Destroyer that had half the parts in the old color and half new.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Stuff I don't need but will probably buy anyway:

https://www.target.com/p/lego-collection-x-target-minifigure-astronaut-plush/-/A-84738649

edit: and a bunch more stuff - https://www.target.com/p/colorful-cozy-lego-collection-x-target/-/A-84934184

DrChu fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 10, 2021

DrChu
May 14, 2002

After the initial notice about the shipping time frame for the Castle in the Forest I've been getting daily backorder/out of stock emails about it. I'm assuming their system isn't set up properly to handle whatever kind of delay this is, but it still making me a bit nervous.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

And that supercharger piece needs to be moved back to right in front on the cockpit, obstructing half his field of view.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Ratatozsk posted:

Found all structural pieces of my old Lego Town hospital…and there’s more than a little yellowing of the bricks. What’s the safest way to restore the original color to these? And is it safe to use on things like torsos with printed shirts, or only on bricks?

The easiest way is Hydrogen Peroxide and sunlight, how long it will take depends on where you live. I would start with whatever they have at your supermarket (its $1 for 32 ounce of 3% at my Wegmans), put the all white pieces in a tupperwear and leave on a window sill that gets a lot of sun (assuming you're in the middle of winter right now). Give it a mix about once a day and check after a few days, you can keep the pieces in there forever until they turn back.

For the printed pieces its safe but you have to check much more often, I tend to do those separate to avoid other parts scraping the printed areas (when doing it with higher temperatures like direct sunlight in the middle of summer its more risky the colors can run or scrape off).

There are also methods using things like UV lights to help speed up while doing it indoors, and methods with heat from a sous vide machine as well. I've tried them and they all work, but usually I'm not in a rush so I usually just use the peroxide and window sill or outside.

You can also use this on non-white bricks as well, just check on them more often like you would do with the printed pieces. Its helpful to keep a control piece nearby to compare the color to so you know when you want to stop. Sometimes blue parts get a chalky appearance but that can be fixed with a quick rub of plastic polish.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

My Castle in the Forest shipped yesterday and supposedly I'll have it tomorrow or Saturday.

In other expensive Lego news this was my next most recent purchase and is up there for most I've spent on a part (though I guess its technically two pieces).

I think I still need another one too.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Yeah, I'm just about done with Classic Space and need them for this set (and I want the original parts because I'm dumb) - https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=6950-1#T=I
The alternate version of that hinge (2/3 fingers with solid studs) is a little rare as well, but still a lot cheaper.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Cooked Auto posted:

I've sorta been doing that, just eyeballing the bags for stand out pieces and then looking them up on Bricklink. Followed by some guesswork based on parts listed.
But that's not really going to work for the bag that is just nothing but dark gray round 2 x 2 with axle holes. That one will be fun.

Did make me wish Bricklink had a "X and Y pieces are which sets" function so I could narrow it down. A bit. Unless I missed it somewhere.
For figuring out something like the mass quantity of dark grey round 2x2 plates, search for that part in Bricklink and then sort the sets by quantity.

Rebrickable has a feature that shows you what sets you can build with a certain list of parts (or what % of a set at least).

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Looks like the review got posted too early. 1500 pieces, $170, and transforms. I'm in.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

Ah boo, I thought I saw I qualified for a GWP when I was checking out last night but looking at my order confirmation I didn't actually get it. Ah well.

Same, I definitely saw it as part of the order when checking out but now no mention of it.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

When did Lego start using LaserShip? They are the worst.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Good luck on receiving your package. My LaserShip order never arrived and when I called Lego CS they asked me a ton of questions and since then all of my orders have come FedEx.

Had I know they would use LaserShip and my GWP would disappear I would have rather just tried my luck at a store.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Classic Space never did, but some of the earliest Castle sets had figures that used those helmets with other kinds of visors: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?M=cas085a#T=I

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Boulder:
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=30293pb01#T=C
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=30294pb01&idColor=85#T=C&C=85

Puck:
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=44848&name=Sports%20Hockey%20Puck,%20Large&category=%5BSports%5D#T=C

DrChu
May 14, 2002

shut up blegum posted:

Why not just build the set you had as a kid? :smuggo:
The train I posted about a couple of pages ago is finished. Managed to find all of the pieces, except ~6 or so. I was able to replace most of them, annoyingly I lost one of the hooks for the crane. So it's pretty useless at the moment. But still, my kid is having a blast playing with this train (as do I).

(ignore the lack of floorboards. That's on my to do list but I chose to play with Lego for a week instead)

This page for example.

I have no idea what the * or *! mean.
According to
https://helpdesk.bricklink.com/kb/a5/what-does-an-asterisk-or-exclamation-mark-mean-below-a-catalog-items-small-image.aspx

quote:

A small asterisk (*) below a thumbnail image indicates that there is a large image (like the one you see on this page) available when you click on the small thumbnail. A exclamation mark (!) below a thumbnail image indicates that there is a 3D image of the part (like the one you see on this page).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrChu
May 14, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

If they cant fulfill an entire order they should be required to notify the buyer and ask if they want a full refund or just a refund for the missing part before selling. That part might be a deal breaker on the entire order.

Could be worse. I have had a non insignificant amount of BL sellers just forget to include parts I ordered.

I think this would be the best and easiest policy to implement, just let the buyer be able to cancel with no repercussion if the seller is missing a part. I feel half the time it’s happened to me the missing part was the whole reason I went to the shop in the first place, and anything else I ordered was just to get to the minimum order or make the shipping more reasonable.

I don’t think I’ve had many missing parts, but I have gotten incorrect parts or wrong variations and half the sellers just don’t care.