Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
As soon as any of you find it, post a UPC key. The key for the first series was a godsend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Is there a barcode list for those of us who *don't* have an Android?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

You are on the Internet. How hard is it to type "series two minifig barcode" into a search engine? Or even just go back a couple of pages in this very thread?

Years of being corrected and admonished by goons has left me a broken shell of a man. I barely have the strength to bang my head against the wall in morse code to relay my thoughts to my caretaker, who types for me.

But, to be serious, there are lots of bar code cheat sheets available out there, and I'd prefer to use the goon recommended version. Happy?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Sexual Lorax posted:

Plus a couple variants on

and the top bit of http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=3450-1 if you know what I'm saying.

I just found the weightlifter at Target today, and I was thinking that if you mixed the Caveman's unitard with the Lion Tamer's head, and used the weight from the weight lifter, you'd have the old timey weight lifter.

But, after checking out the Caveman's clothes, probably not.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

The barcode cheat sheet failed me! I thought I'd had a mime, but ended up with a weightlifter - which I already have. At least I got a Disco Stu, though.

Following up on Five Below - the one by me in Hunt Valley, MD doesn't have the minifigures, but it has a green speed boat in a polybag for $2.99.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Every time this thread gets re-named, it takes me forever to find it.

And who told Lego to take away identifying barcodes on the series 3 minifigure bags?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Final Gloom posted:

That's badass. Do they make pig heads for Lego guys?

Well, there are the Gamorrean pig guards from Jabba's Palace from Star Wars.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Pagan posted:

The Geisha is kind of disappointing, but the other guys are awesome.

Are you sure you don't mean the ice skating girl? That figure is 8 kinds of retarded. I'd just as soon throw that fig in the trash than try to figure out how the skirt works.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Paul Proteus posted:

The ship has been out for a while and is overpriced for the pieces you get in my opinion. The Lego store in Chicago had a lot of trains on the shelves.

I have not been obsessed with the minifigures (I don't really care about full sets), but I really want that hazmat guy, scientist, and musketeer.

The mad scientist has strange rubber-y hair, by the way. I haven't seen those since the anime robot set.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

A Bad Poster posted:

Where is the best place to look for these minifigures? My target never carries them, is TRU my best bet? I really want that hockey player one.

Target no longer carries the guys in their seasonal section. Your best bet is a Toys 'R' Us or a Lego Store. The Lego Store is worth the drive, and the ones I've been to, the employees have opened a bunch of packs and set aside a bunch of minifigures for people who want specific ones.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Has anyone ever tried making a boxing/wrestling ring?

I'd like to get three ropes in there. I can add lettering to the side of the ring later.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Saint Sputnik posted:

Well, that's loving awesome. Is there another Lego-created wrestler out there somewhere, or is it just the luchador from minifigures' series 1?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CADPAT posted:

I've decided I will satisfy myself with small cheap sets until I can afford big cool things, and as such I've wound up with 2 series 3 minifigs.

This isn't a bad way to build a collection. My storage tub of Legos is built of little sets I've collected over 20 years. Target and Five Below almost always have little baggy sets for under $4. Add in small box sets (under $10), minifigures, and the Pick-a-Brick section, and you can build up a good collection in no time without ever dropping a lot of money at once. The most I've ever spent on one set is $20, and that was for a big AT-ST from the Star Wars line.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

The Duck of Death posted:

I don't think so but you can make a pretty good Liger with the King Kahuka mask, if you're into that stuff.

A Jushin Liger Lego would be pretty cool, but I'd probably shoot for Masato Tanaka, Hakushi or TenKoji, myself.

I've always assumed it was a matter of time until WWE and Lego get together, especially with WWE's current PG style.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Saint Sputnik posted:

TRU will have Minifig S3 buy one get one half off Friday and Saturday
http://trus.imageg.net/graphics/med...minder2DayDeals

I'm kind of seeing a glut of S3 everywhere, I only hope the future series are as easy to find.

And a few sets are 30% off, including some large SW kits.

I really struck out today using this deal - thought I had an Indian and the old timey pilot, but ended up with the hula girl and rapper.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I would either hang on to them, or sell them to a goon in this thread. Try to get the following info:

- How much the box weighs
- Note any instruction booklets/boxes you have
- Take a photo
- Note any unique pieces/minifigures (especially if they're classic Space, Spider-Man, Batman)

If you can put together any complete sets using instruction booklets, that helps, too. A goon in this thread would certainly make you a fair offer. You could also try selling it in SA Mart.

Personally, I'd hang on to them. Even if you end up not playing with them, they make a great hand-me-down to a young son/daughter/niece/nephew.

Red fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 20, 2011

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Pyroclastic posted:

Anyone else notice they changed the minifig heads?

Most of the PotC figs have the usual head with the hollow stud and the trifoil, but I bought the Space Moon Buggy and Speed Boat impulse sets, and the minifigs all have solid-stud heads (although they're the recessed type you see on technic bricks). The PotC skeleton from Isle de la Muerte is also a solid stud, as are the figs from Alien Conquest.

Huh. I would've thought hollow heads would be cheaper.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

For anyone near Baltimore, there's a place called Taylor's Antique Mall in Ellicott City, which is a series of antique booths with various items for sale. One such booth is a Lego megashop. While some of the prices are retarded ($8 a minifig? bah), they sell complete open-box sets for reasonable prices. Worth a visit, at least, if you're nearby.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Veeb0rg posted:

Yeah, I've been there. Those stairs up to the 3rd floor gave me vertigo something horrible.

Did you check out the toy store 2 doors down? He has a nice *overpriced* lego selection as well.

Huh. I don't remember two Lego booths. The lack of a/c in there must kill brain cells.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Veeb0rg posted:

No, there is an actual toy store 2 store fronts down from the Antique mall.

Oh, THAT place. Yeah, I stopped by and picked up an NES game for five bucks. All Time Toys, I think.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Re: Flea Markets/Yard Sales A lot of thrift stores will have a plastic baggie crammed full of Legos for $1-2, that's the way to do it on the cheap. You'll get a few knock-offs in there sometimes, but it's still worth it. People just drop off a cardboard box full of bricks, so the Goodwill or Salvation Army folks have to put it in something that is a little more, uh, non-mess-making.

You can also just browse CraigsList, or, if you're gung ho, post an ad that you're buying Legos for $X/lb. or what have you.

I've never had luck doing yard sales, because they're so random. See if you can find out about community or family yard sales, where you're at least visiting more than one seller, and have better chances of finding something like Legos.

Little by Little I personally never spend more than $9 on any one set, although I'll occasionally buy a neat set (some green coupe, an AT-ST walker) for close to $20. Buy the little baggie sets in TRU or at the register in Target - Target in particular has the little Army Man jeep from Toy Story, and those are great pieces for $3-4. Those sets really add up, and provide a lot of variety in your collection.

Discount Stores Marshall's, TJ Maxx, and the like are good for having Lego sets on sale. I recently saw a big Spongebob set for $15-20, and they always have the smaller sets as well. Five Below carries a lot of the smaller sets also. These stores usually have decent sets for pretty low prices, and they're still sealed in box.

Collector's Stores In the last few years, Legos have become the staple of many comic book stores. The prices are probably going to be comparable to some places online, but at least you can see what you're buying before you commit, I suppose.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Sexual Lorax posted:

:haw:

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Merchant of Death posted:

You can contact lego about the missing part, they are usually pretty quick on sending it too you. They sometimes ask for a copy of the bill if you didn't buy it from S&H or the number on the back of the manual.

you can call them or use the contact page on the website depending on the country you are in.

I've never had to contact Lego about missing parts, but I've heard nothing but great stuff about their customer service.

Also, more often than not, I usually get extra pieces when I open a box of Legos. They're good like that.

On the other hand, I've bought about 7 of the newest Lego minifigure bags, and not one goddamn boxer was in there. The graduate figure is terrible, too.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

The Duke posted:

I also have the graduate but he's awful. That little cape he comes with just sticks straight out and there's no way to have it bend since it's fabric.

Worst mini-figure they've made so far. I think I'm going to bag that little fucker or something and just give it to Goodwill or something.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Where are they selling Series 6 Minifigures? Target, Toys'R'Us, Wal-Mart, or somewhere else?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

What are these things called?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I randomly grabbed 4 bags of Series 6 guys (I finally found some at the Lego Store at Tyson's Corner in Virginia), and got two I really wanted from that group. The other two were the pink astronaut girl and what I at first thought was the wind-up robot, but turned out to be the alien. Am I the only one who thinks having a random alien/spaceman in each of the last few series is just kind of lazy or uninspired? It's just a boring Lego guy.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Pseudo-God posted:

Have you guys considered checking the weight of the Minifig packs to determine what's inside? I am sure that a 0.01g precision scale can find any fig much faster and safer than the touching method or the bump codes. You collector types must have some scale around from weighing unopened TCG booster packs.

I found a cheap scale here:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/portable-pocket-digital-scale-100g-0-01g-2-aaa-52541
Though they take long to deliver, this one is the cheapest scale I found.

... safer?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Pseudo-God posted:

I actually googled this, and apparently the weights are posted online. You could even profit by selling specific minifigs online. Just go to the store with your list and get all the ones you want and no others.

It just sounds ridiculous. Then again, I guess if you have a drug habit, you might as well get a little more mileage out of your scale.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Fooley posted:

Is there a matching male body? I want to buy a bunch of these and do some X-COM mocs...

I have this set and the pink astro-chick, and they seem like a good match-up.

Edit: It's $4.99 on Amazon, go for it!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

GidgetNomates posted:

If you're looking for something fairly inexpensive

If you want to get a bunch of varied pieces/sets quickly:

- Look for bagged sets in the checkout aisles at Target, or in the Lego section of Toys'R'Us.
- Go to a Lego store and buy their seasonal mini-set (usually like a Christmas tree, a Valentine's heart, and so on).
- Do a pick-a-brick cup at a Lego Store.
- There's always a good basic set out for about $9.99 which comes with a mini-figure or two and a good assortment of pieces.

For example, there's this castle set:

And the basic set in stores right now is two people who, apparently, just bought a zoo. Hell if I can find a picture of it, though.

Of course, YMMV - this is how I built my collection. Little inexpensive sets that pile up over 20-25 years really add up. The most I've ever spent on any one set was $20, for an AT-ST walker. I usually spend around $2-6, and have a pretty good sized collection.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Testro posted:

Knowledge!

This is a great post.

Rhyno posted:

What's the rule on discussing non Lego here? Because I've dropped a pretty big chunk on the Character Doctor Who sets and they are Lego compatible.

As long as they're building toys, it's all good, but it might get lost amongst Lego-chat.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

FreakyZoid posted:

Avengers set pics up on Marvel
Quinjet looks badass. Giant-headed Iron Man looks bad & rear end.

Ugh. Stickers. I'm going to be avoiding these sets like the plague.

(That Iron Man looks just loving awful.)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I've bought every other incarnation of the AT-ST, what's one more?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

smackfu posted:

What's the deal with those Star Wars sets that are a round ball, a minifig, and a mini model? Like 9676. Is it just throw some random poo poo together so they can sell it again?

It appears to be a case for the pieces, and eye candy to sell the set.

They've done sets like this before, sort of like the X-Pod series.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Pyroclastic posted:

Pay attention to what the extra pieces are.
You'll get 1 extra of every color cheese wedge, 1x1 round plate, 1x1 tile, standard technic pin, droid arm, minifig visor (I don't think the hemisphere visors from the new City Space or Atlantis sets are included), and sometimes small minifig accessories like the Indian feathers. I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting.

It's true, but baffling. I mean, I guess those visors are easier to lose than most pieces, but having surplus visors doesn't really help me - they're not really functional as anything but visors, and not all helmets fit all visors, either.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Your Lottery posted:

I beg to differ:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcmorran/3991487740/
:colbert:

:psyduck: I ... stand corrected.

gently caress

Edit:

I picked up a PAB from the Lego store. $7.99 is worth the fun of grabbing random pieces for 20 minutes. Besides stacking bricks as tightly as possible, and "peppering" the full cup with the smalles pieces possible, how else can you get your money's worth?

Red fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 21, 2012

Red
Apr 15, 2003

InfinEight posted:

If you take the time to actually lock the bricks together, like making stacks, you can fit quite a bit more into the cups than if they're all dumped in.

Sorry, I probably didn't make myself clear - I definitely stacked/locked the bricks together, with a ring of 6-8 stacked bricks circumventing the inside of the cup.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Final Gloom posted:

How many pieces was that? Or at least what does it look like when they're poured out?

Oh wow, I already dumped the whole thing into my collection. But it definitely wouldn't all fit back in when I un-bricked everything. (Is that the term for connected Legos? Bricked?)

By the way, I still can't find Series 6 - TRU was all sold out. One empty display case was all that was left.

Also, for those of you angling for more zombies, didn't some of the Pirates of the Caribbean come with zombie pirates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Have you check any Wal-Marts (if they're near you)? Mine had 3 or 4 cases that were basically untouched last time I was there. Seems like many collectors are making a bee-line for TRU but forgetting other stores that have toys.

I wish they just did away with this blind-bag thing though. Who actually finds blind-bags interesting or fun? Oh yay, my fourth genie. If course I can just trade with my friends oh wait I'm not in grade school and I don't know anyone else that buys Lego. I'm no good with feeling the bags to see what's inside, and it seems like Lego has fixed the bump-codes issue, as I have loads of figures that don't match any of the published bump-codes.

Well, I took a shot on Wal-Mart, with no luck. I didn't even see the box for minifigs. Oh well. I decided to check in on T-R-U, just for the hell of it, even though I'd just stopped by the day before, and saw an empty box. So I walked in, same empty box sitting there. However, I noticed they were having a "Buy one, get one half off" sale, so I figured I'd look around. I debated getting the blue Creator coupe, and maybe a series 5 minifig bag, when I noticed a series 6 minifig box, and it looked like someone tried to hide it amongst some Mega Bloks, shoved back a little. Most of the bags that were left were felt up, but so what?

I felt around for a few minutes, and though I wanted a bunch of Roman soldiers, I got:

- A surgeon
- Gunslingin' Outlaw
- Greasy Mechanic (already had him, but so what? he's neat)
- Braveheart
- SK8R GURL
- ROMAN SOLDIER :c00lbert:

(Are they Roman soldiers? What/who are they?)

Anyway, six guys for $16 wasn't bad at all.