Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Bit of a long-time lurker and occasional poster for lego stuff, but am deciding to finally get involved with this, and put together a new MOC yesterday:

LMA-7 'Vanessa' - Oblique/main overview

Full gallery:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/oleenanatiras/albums/72157665579809876

Would welcome any thoughts or feedback, kind of getting a better feel for things again. Have a few other models waiting to be properly photographed as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

Most everything is fine but those are-guns are too stumpy and the balljoint is too exposed

Hmm... might be able to do something on the ball-joint, throw a small guard or something in there. Cheers.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
That Caterham set looks very nice and I think it'll be a pick up for sure. And, hopefully, it'll end up with chrome parts on the bricks and pieces section - I've always wanted to do something chrome but only have 2 exhausts in it.

Actually surprised the adventure time one made it through.

Feenix posted:

I want to MOC mecha. Can we talk (i.e.: you talk) about leg theory? Not necessarily what you *specifically* did but more just your general best practices for making cool legs.

Well, to be honest my first call is just look at stuff for concept - films, artwork, etc. It also doesn't hurt to look at some anatomical drains too for ideas of how legs fit together in the animal kingdom for inspiration. As far as this model goes, it's borrowing heavily from ED 209 as regards basic pose and the rams on the back, but heavier set on the hip and ankle joints to give an idea of strength - the whole model it's pretty top heavy and needs it to look right! I'm not the best at it by any means, but trying to hide working joints under detailing helps too - easier with smaller limbs, mind.

You'll also need to take into account the actual balance of the model too. Surface area on the ground and a good center of gravity are both essential and heavier models will need joints with more friction.

There's probably others who know far better than I do on this though!

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Red Bones posted:

This designer did a whole project exploring lego space, and some of his ideas are pretty good. One thing he brings up is giving the sets a more consistent design language for things like spaceship engines and whatnot, so if you're constructing, say, the interior of a space set you can then put an "engine" room in it, have a little collectible fuel source like crystals and some piping to physically connect it to engines - I think stuff like that would be good, sets that try to break away with this problem you get with lego interiors for spaceships/"bases" where the only rooms you really make are like, the room where you store all the little accessories and the room with all the computer panel pieces for the minifigs to sit at.

To spin that idea out into a space theme, I think one centred around little space outposts and colonisation efforts would be cool - every set (aside from maybe the smallest?) comes with a standard 8 x 8 or 10 x 10 module, or multiple modules, all with different uses. Some of them are built into spaceships or vehicles and can be removed, some of them are just freestanding. They're little buildings on stilts with stuff like an alien research lab (or an alien pen), a garage, hydroponic farm, canteen etc. You can connect them all together, the big "base" set can come with five or six of these buildings and the smaller sets can just have one. If you wanted to keep the conflict element within the theme, it could be more of a gold rush/frontier idea than explicit bad guys vs good guys - some sets could have space bandits or angry wildlife, all the modules could be coloured different so it seems like they were all financed by different groups.

There's some good and bad ideas in this, I think - I'm not greatly fond of the over-complicated figures for instance, part of the charm is that they are simple. And I think having EVERYTHING modular is probably a bad idea, stand alone kits are always great impulse buys or smaller presents.
I do find it amusing that half of the new pieces he suggested in the article when written (2009, after all) have actually been made now, especially the 'smaller ball joints' - the Mixel ball joints are probably one of the most useful pieces in years, and I suspect are going to become key in large sculptures soon to get better angling and such. And if this piece ends up in non-luminous colours, well... I can think of a lot of good uses for that (Not got one to try yet, but the ball is by all accounts Mixel-sized and designed to fit.)

Edit:

Apollodorus posted:

Agreed on the minifigs - the current design is great. Also the "chibi" pictures at the end are

The guy seems to have a habit of doing weird stuff like that for 'remake art' - its the guy who did the weirdly anime X-COM art/remake ideas, amongst other things.

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 14, 2016

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
I made another mech! (Well, finished one that's been sat and I've always thought could be better...)

ID-245 'Scampi' LRM Rocket Bot

Full gallery:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/oleenanatiras/albums/72157666853037265

Again, any feedback hugely appreciated.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
I dunno if it's still on, but Tesco in the UK have this: http://brickset.com/sets/75072-1/ARC-170-Starfighter on clearance for £2.00 a pop. Picked up four of them at my nearest store - might be worth checking nearby if they've not already gone.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Dogen posted:

I hope this doesn't diminish what little chance the set has for a regular size remake, it's one of my favorite ships and the most recent version is... lackluster

I think it's just end-of-life in the Microfighters line, as it's not on the online store anymore; and I know Lego are still putting out episode 1-3 sets , so a new full-size one might come back.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
I'm loving the trash mixels especially, but this one in particular:

speaks to me. (Also, all those lovely green curves and panels, drat!)

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Finished up a new model and got the camera out.

Comet GV Stormstag Hover-Hog

Full gallery:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/oleenanatiras/albums/72157669965155890

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
I have a feeling it's going to be out of stock soon, so I gave in and bought the Ecto-1.

Fun little build, quite like the way the windows attach. Also tempted to try and pick up some of the proton-pack printed tiles quickly, they're quite nice.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

xzzy posted:

You're supposed to tuck that blue tube below the roof rack. :v:

I think the instructions don't do a good job explaining that, but it's tucked in all the photos.

Your next task is to mod the build to accept all four minifigs.

Realised that after I took the picture. Whoops.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

I'm amused that googling "Notorious Lowrider" gets me pages of nothing but Lego. And I'm really digging Harley's rollerskates.

Are those rollerskates new pieces? I don't think I've seen anything quite like them before.

Edit: Never mind, found it: http://brickset.com/parts/design-18747.

I think the lowrider is going to go in the collection of awesome vehicles though.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
I got bought, (amongst a couple of Nexo Knights and Star Wars sets) a 16gb USB Lego brick. Official one, too.

Thought that just having it by itself simply wouldn't do, so I present...

USB-Bot!

The body portion pops off very easily, and the head folds back, to allow access to the port with a flex cable...

So now my data is safe at all times thanks to the power of robots.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yellowing is real

If you mean the larger Falcon, I think that's one of the last sets that would have been made in the old, warmer grey tone. It's supposed to be that colour.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Feenix posted:

So I went to the Lego store today to grab some cups of the PAB wall. Upon checkout I saw two very cool vehicles and was like "oh man!"

Turns out they are each 10 dollar City sets that are either very or somewhat new?

Stunt Truck and Buggy

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Stunt-Truck-60146

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Buggy-60145

Those new wheel arches are pretty nice! And in orange, too...

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Well, date night tonight with the wife and we're both off to see Lego Batman (she's just as much a collector as I am, which is awesome) - pretty goddamn excited, especially with everyone saying how good it is.

Also, I made a hoverbike!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/oleenanatiras/albums/72157680190864076

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
God drat the movie was amazing. Really glad we got to see it. Trailer for the Ninjago one is pretty appealing as well.

Ended up making a few more bikes as well:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/oleenanatiras/albums/72157680265382456

https://www.flickr.com/photos/oleenanatiras/albums/72157677021415203

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
I would love it if Lego released plans for the movie-scale one. If it's actually physically possible to build.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
If you're after very specific pieces Lego Bricks and pieces in customer support can also be a good call.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Had a nice gift today - a friend of a friend was giving away some old lego, and it's been passed on to me. Was expecting a small amount, not a canvas bag full of things!

So far I've spotted about half the pieces from the Ice Planet base, a good part of a Y-Wing, a bunch of old finger hinges, a pullback motor, and a 4x1 light brick. This is turning out to be one hell of a parts haul!

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

These are the "higher value" kits I'm thinking of getting rid of, if I can sort out all the loving parts. Oddly enough this stupid blue truck is the most valuable.

I'd love to sell them to goons before gross ol bricklink or ebay.

The truck is valuable because of the ridiculously rare Maersk Blue bricks.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

xzzy posted:

I discovered bricks & pieces on lego's site and spent way too much money on dark azure bricks.

That blue is just so nice though. :angel:

Welcome to the dark side. Your building and wallet will never be the same again.

(I do still wish there was a decent way to search by colour though.)

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Just a heads up for UK goons, Toys R Us have quite a few sets on fairly heavy discount (40-50% off!) Picked up a couple of Nexo Battlesuits for just over £5 a piece for parts.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
That's a ridiculous deal, although even the current range from the Lego shop - https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Classic-ByTheme - are all pretty good deals in their own right. It's pretty much one of the cheapest ways to get random bulk coloured pieces.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
I am desperately trying to figure out from the pictures if the Ship in a Bottle has trans-clear SNOT bricks to attach the rear to, because if it does, and they don't put those on Bricks and Pieces, I'm going to have to buy the set more than once just for those, because of how wildly useful they'll be. (Also for spaceship canopy pieces forever)

Also the people throwing toys out of the pram about the size difference are dumb. The official one is really good. Not pleased about the UK price point, but *shrug*

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

xzzy posted:

Yes and no. Those sets came out in lego's "dark age" when they were on the verge of failing and their sets were loaded with custom limited use parts. I don't see the value in them myself but there are some unique parts in there that are fun to base builds on.

I suspect most people that really enjoy them grew up with them. I was a grumpy toys are for kids 20-something during that time.

Waltzing Along posted:

Looks like a GI Joe set.

I just looked at some of the Bionicle stuff on brickset. I couldn't even get through the list. They are barely Lego. I guess you could say they are sort of Technic, but not even that. I could see little boys liking them but do they even have build features?

... bionicle literally saved the company, so I really don't think you can say it's 'not Lego', and yeah, they had build features. Also, those parts can be really goddamn useful, and opened the door for the whole ball-and-socket systems that are key to making more dynamic builds.

Captain Invictus posted:

I didn't know that because roboriders were fukkin garbaaaaaaaage

they had this piece which is the most useless lego piece in existence and every set had them so when buying bulk bionicle/technic lots I wound up with dozens of them and they suck and almost invariably all were broken in some manner

It's a shame that the piece seems to break as you've described it, because that looks like a really useful detailing piece (they'd make fantastic armour plates for mech legs, for instance) that comes in lots of interesting colours and I'd love to have some , but this was during my personal dark ages so it's nothing in my collection. Parts like that are a goddamn joy and challenge.

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 3, 2018

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

And as for that piece, it's useless. It has no connecting parts, no stud spots, nothing except fitting into that other part I mentioned before, so you'd have to work pretty hard to keep them in place in a build.

Again, not having one to check, but the sliding components should fit into anything with a groove (https://brickset.com/parts/design-2653 and similar), and you should be able to mount something to that central pin when folded. (Something like https://brickset.com/parts/design-11458 might be a good shot). I think the holes in the pins are standard size as well so potential joins there.

(If someone has 4 of these in the same colour in the UK i want to buy them now just to find out)

As an aside, this conversation has made me take a look at the manuals for these, and drat, they had a lot of interesting and useful parts!

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 4, 2018

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Well, now me and the wife have our own home and all our Lego is out of storage, I've decided this year I'm going to do a SHIPtember entry.

Has anyone here got any experience on this that they'd be able to share?
The design I'm going for is going to be heavily based off the Eve Online Hecate, but reimaged as a more of a two-man starfighter. (Essentially, adding a cockpit on the central section.)

I'm pretty sure a technic frame to build the wings on is the way forward, but if anyone has any general advice on working at this size it'd be appreciated.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Akiyuki is special amongst GBC stuff that his modules are also always reliable and fast, use a huge amount of novel motion methods, and don't tend to leak. He blows most of the US ones out the water.

I'm really tempted to make a GBC module or two sometime, or some other perpetual motion machine / kinetic sculpture, but first thing I need to do is re-sort a lot of stuff.

Also, the 40 minute video taught me how valuable those silver headlight cups are, which is nice - because I got two of them in a 2 pound grab-bag of Lego that also had a (tested, working) micromotor in it. HAUL SUCCESSFUL.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
Package theft is worryingly common nowadays, and I'm honestly tempted to get a front-door cam.

In Work-In-Progress news, I've nearly finished a crab mecha:

Got a few pieces to order to finish this off I think, but got to wait til February now for Bricks and Pieces to re-open. There's a bunch of notes on the Flickr photos explaining what I'm planning to alter.

It is self supporting and posable!

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Jenny deserved better than sitting in the back of that little ATV so I made this today. Jenny’s space vic!

This is a fine viper. Nice work!

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

xzzy posted:

They started that with nexo knights. They were trans orange instead of clear so this is way cooler, but the precedent is there!

Hopefully they show up in sets without the star wars tax.

Bricks and Pieces is your friend.

Once they show up on there I'm likely to order a bunch for stands.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

The bits around the outside of the red part.

That IS a new piece. It's also in white in one of the Overwatch sets.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Scipiotik posted:

The new line of Friends sets is, call me crazy, better than the new line of regular Lego. Better ship, better amusement park, better carnival rides, better lighthouse. Just since it's all in friends colors it won't really work in my city. Except maybe the octopus and boat.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwrR5iuJ5Qj/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Friends builds have been top tier for a long time. They've got some seriously good designers there.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
About drat time.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

They didn't harm anyone except greedy resellers. Don't stick up for giant corporations.

Also they tried to steal AFOL designs quite often. So yeah, Lepin are nasty.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
The fact that they blatantly just rip designs from both Lego and fans is just massively scummy as all hell, sorry. At least other clone brands make their own sets and piece designs.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Attestant posted:

I'd assume the Lego manufacturing process involves injection moulds with better, softer edges. Or that they actually smooth all bricks by tumbling them a certain amount.

They're ridiculous on quality control when it comes to piece design, and yeah, something like this would be a big thing they worked on early - sharp edges hurt kids!

Knock-offs probably don't care as much.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Carbohydrates posted:

Bigfigs are pricey, yo. This is totally in line for a licensed set with a bigfig.

Bane Toxic Truck Attack, $49.99 for 366 pieces.

Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout, $49.99 for 389 pieces.

I'm fine with the price point personally, but it depends entirely on how much you value the fig.

Bigfig AND a custom mold for his weapon that's probably going to be a one-shot wonder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Seriously how do we keep getting identical landspeeder sets and still not at least have a bantha to go with them?

To be fair, the new landspeeder is obviously a more detailed build and has a bunch more pieces in it. (Also a pretty nice dark red curve part pack, which is all I bought the original for).

The hut looks like it comes with a trans blue microfig, which is awesome!