Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Speaking of Japanese...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/misaqa/sets/72157624484791238/

Jesus loving Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

3 posted:

Hope you have MS Access.

It is pretty useful, if a bit unwieldy and sparsely documented.

What is the 'MyWanted ListNo' and where do I find it?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Awesome, that got it working.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Sockser posted:

Why does it come with 4 minifigs if the set isn't to scale :psyduck:

That's my favorite part about this. If I was a kid I'd pretend that the Navy employs giants on their carriers.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Ted Stevens posted:

Sounds like a lot of kids are crying. Just read the reviews of that thing. blech.

Hahaha, now I WANT to buy this, just to see if I can do the impossible and actually assemble this piece of poo poo.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Oh my God, that water is loving brilliant!

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I loving love those two ruined buildings, especially the second one. It's execution is perfect.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Hobnob posted:

Series 4 minifigs. The radiation worker, the mad scientist, and the hockey player are the standouts for me. Also maybe frankenstein's monster and the viking.

I loving MUST own that hockey minifig. Wow, he even has protruding shoulder pads. Nice.

All in all, this is a really nice series.

Is the other sports figure with the trophy a soccer player?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Designer Kitchen and Dining Area

OH MY GODDDDDD

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Wow, those are some really clever techniques that guy is using.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

MaliciousOnion posted:

Hey, it's Technic man! I remember him :allears:

I have one, a cop. He is loving awesome. He was missing a limb or two when I found him after coming out of my dark age, so I bought the pieces off bricklink.

Hrm. I think I want to make a mech exoskeleton for him to drive...

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Garrison of Moriah

8 feet tall, 28' long, about 200,000 bricks. If we consider an average Lego brick price of what, 5 cents?

This could have cost a million dollars to build. Also keep in mind that in this guy's new house, he had a room designed just to make this. That said.. why the hell didn't he have the floor colored blue instead of orange? Then it'd totally look like water.

Revol fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 23, 2011

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I just saw this on Lego Facebook:

Holy poo poo I have to rip off that Star Wars hospital ship. Anyone know where they've seen one made before?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Jordanis posted:

This should help more (one item over in the larger gallery :v:)
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=85974

loving awesome. I need some Lego poo poo to populate my cubicle at my new tech support phone desk job.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

I got this far with the frigate when I had to stop because I didn't have the pieces. I think I don't have the brackets that I need to add next. Besides that, I've been having to subsitute too many colors. Made two orders on Bricklink to finish.

I'm also working on this idea I just got:

Two things:

• Can you think of a better way to do the glass? Because I can't. Even if I had these bricks in trans-clear (I don't), the seperation between the bricks would still cause this to look... wonky. But I can't think of any other glass that is big enough to cover this. The only thing I can think of is to not have glass there at all. But I want to have this vignette to include fans, and fans are always behind glass. The only part of the boards without glass are player benches, and I don't have any other Blacktron shirts. (I'm using Blacktron as the jersey since it looks the most like a hockey jersey. I've got other fans in the stand wearing M:Tron and Extreme Team 'hockey jerseys'.)

• Do you think the ice color should be a light blue? Because I am thinking it should. But I don't have any light blue tiles.

The reason I'm not using the hockey player minifig is twofold. One, I don't like his pads and the facemask, which looks like it belongs on a football player. Two, I don't own one, I bought the skates and stick off Bricklink. The helmet is a space helmet which I cut.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
The more I look at it, the more I think I really do need to use light blue tiles for ice. For one, it'll help the white boards stand out.

SynthOrange posted:

http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=3661 has pretty huge thin windows, I've definitely seen others which are just thin panels.

Yeah, that was my first thought. I actually have a lot of these windows, back when I was trying to build myself a Pokemon Center. They're six brick tall, which is a nice height for hockey board glass. I dunno, the frames sure are thick though.

Of course, if I go with this, I'd extend the vignette to 8 stud wide.

I'm kinda tempted to get this, and then cut it before the curve. Yeah, more cheating. I don't care about the helmet, because it's small, and there is a piece that looks like that. But this would be taking it too far... even thought it would look PERFECT.

Flavor Bear posted:

One of these, in trans-clear or trans-light blue, perhaps.

This looks promising too.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Shuppiluliumas posted:

The window glass, without the frame, will clip into a lever base. Doubled up, they will fit into a 1x1 tile with clip.

Well well, look who's the clever little boy/girl! But having either of those simply doesn't look good. For one, you're going to have open space under the glass, and that is unacceptable. Maybe if there's a way to keep those pieces hidden under something.. but at that point, the boards start getting awfully thick.

Virar posted:

If they fit into the lever base, won't they also fit into 1x2 tile with grill?

It fits inside, but it doesn't lock in at all. The best I could do there is have the glass leaning up against the minifig fans.

Edit: Okay, I'm a genius.

I put two very small pieces of scotch tape on the bottom of the glass to give it the thickness needed to lock into the grill.

I am gonna have to get the medium blue tiles for the ice, though. This just doesn't pop enough for me, and I think it's because the ice and the boards are the same color. Now I have to choose a color. Medium Blue is more cheap and plentiful, but it is still a strong color. Light Aqua is perfect, but I can only get 2x1 tiles (and no jumper tile to hold the puck in place), and they cost 44 cents each.

Revol fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 12, 2011

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

the boards are yellow at ice-level :eng101:

Oh, good catch! You're right.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I didn't want to play the random game on the minifig, or spend the higher prices on it through Bricklink. So I simply bought the stick and skates.

mik posted:

This looks great - what would the helmet look like with a clear visor?

It looks fine I guess, but it's unnecessary. I mean, only like one out of 100 hockey players use a glass visor. (And even less use the wire visor that the minifig comes with.)

beato posted:

I would just make the diorama 8 studs wide and keep the large white frames, they look good.

Taeke posted:

Agreed. From what I've seen of the sport and the stadiums, it doesn't look far off from the real thing and aren't the windows in general disgusting anyway? That should give you points for realism!

The problem with the boarders is their depth; it goes all the way back. So if you view the vignette at an angle (instead of straight on like I took the photo of it earlier), you're seeing a lot less of the fans. Also, the separation between the glass at most rinks is either black or gray. I only have (about over 20) white ones. Finally, they usually just have the border on the sides. You'll rarely see a border on the top of the glass, because that'll make it just that much more tedious to replace when the glass breaks. And the Lego window holder piece adds the same color to the bottom of the window, and you'll never see a black or gray border on top of hockey boards. (Which reminds me, I never checked on that, either. Right now I'm using white grills to hold the glass, maybe I want something different.

In the end, the glass frame just makes me think I'm looking at an actual building window pane instead of hockey board glass.

Edit: I really love the look of the window panes stick in the grill tiles, but because of the unconventional width of the panes, they're hanging off the edges now. Does that bother anyone here? I don't see any other solution though; the two panes are about 7 stud. That's one stud that doesn't have the grill tile.

Revol fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 13, 2011

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
gently caress my rear end, I made two orders on Bricklink to help me finish out the SW medical frigate, and I forgot to order the inverted wedges I'm missing. How do I miss the two biggest pieces that I'm missing?

Is there an easier way to coordinate buying pieces off your wishlists across multiple sellers?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Yessssssssssssssssssssss.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
A while back I made a Pokeball. (Two, actually, but c'mon, the one on the right can just be ignored. It never existed.)

But I wanted better. I finally found it. I used this Flickr post, which has a full .lxf file for step-by-step instruction.

Horray!

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

cheese-cube posted:

Thought this was pretty impressive: the staff at LEGOLAND California replaced the GM's car with a life-size replica made from Lego: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNRBWOBTLCw.

Something to keep in mind, though, is that the Lego version was already made. It was just in their shop for maintenance (yes, I'm still talking about the Lego one), when they realized it looked like their GM's car.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Best Creature - It's Not Easy Being Green

Oh my God.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Saint Sputnik posted:

I love how a lot of new figs come with two expressions on the same head, one normal and one scared shitless, and how much life they're putting into the faces. And they're still designed to an exacting degree - just about any head can wear the S3 gorilla mask, for instance, and their pupils show through the eye holes.

The one thing I don't like about the new faces they make is how sooooo many of them have a poo poo-eating smirk.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Saint Sputnik posted:

Pixar should really be designing Lego faces instead of Dreamworks.

Haha, that is so loving spot-on.

:smug:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I just got the Midi-scale Star Destroyer in the mail from Bricklink, bought it sealed in box for $20. This thing is pretty awesome.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Five dollar shipping for a minifig. Mmm hmm.

Anyways, I'm thinking of taking a trip to Orlando (from Tampa) to hit up the Lego store and get a few PAB buckets. Need to get an oil change first, though.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Back from the LEGO Imagination Center in Orlando. I got three large PAB cups, a grab bag and a brick seperater. I wasn't too thrilled about the PAB selection; the only piece that really excited me was the 2x2 tan tile. I grabbed maybe four handfuls of that. Beyond that, I got more tan color bricks, and various insignificant crap.

They had the Heroica you guys are getting excited about.

They had a lot of displays outside that I don't recall seeing last year. In fact, it seemed like the entire store got redesigned, and for the better. Pretty much everything is against the walls, so the floor is pretty open. It was very busy for a Tuesday at 1pm.

The six dwarves:

The seventh one is getting lucky:

The Toy Story one is really cool:

The sea serpent has been here since day one:

The coolest one though, by far, is this:

These also have always been here, but I loving love these dogs:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Sair posted:

How do they keep the colors in those outside displays from fading?

I've always wondered the same thing. I think they coat them with a chemical. You can't see it in the picture, but up close, the plastics look a lot more glossy, and the edges are slightly smoothed out, as if there is a clear coating over the entire thing.

Even then, I think they still do fade a little bit. If you look at the dogs and then look at the Toy Story thing, you can tell one has been around for years while the other hasn't. The first thing I noticed about the Snow White settings is how bright and colorful they are. It's not like the serpent and the people with dogs aren't colorful, they just don't have the sheen that the new ones do.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Slo-Tek posted:

Now I need something next month for Son#2's 4th birthday next month. Any suggestions for something that is sturdy, interesting, and play-with-able for the little fella? Should be as close to the same amount of Awesome as the jet as possible, given these constraints. A second jet isn't out of the question if there isn't anything else that jumps out at you.

When I was at the Lego Store I was thinking about how the Cars sets were a perfect storm of toy for kids. It's a franchise that the kids are crazy for, they must be fun as hell to play with, and it all comes in the awesomeness that is Lego.

Since he's four, you have the option of going System or Duplo. And even if he's slightly too old for Duplo, the Lego System versions are still somewhat simple. Lightning McQueen is only 33 pieces, and even if he does come apart if he crashes, he doesn't look too complicated to put back together.

Or you can get this, which is essentially a Lego collection starter set.

Revol fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 6, 2011

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Plastik posted:

Knocked it the gently caress down earlier this year, it's been rebuilt and is easily twice the size inside. While it was down they replaced it with a badass Lego tent on the other side of the Marketplace by Once Upon A Toy.

I was wondering if it had actually grown in size. It had to have, because it just seems so much more spacious. Last time I was there it felt claustrophobic, especially with how busy that place gets.

Plastik posted:

The dogs and their owners were 'refreshed' a month or so ago, so they shouldn't look too bad. I think that once every 6 months or year they take all the outside bricks and recycle and replace them. The owner kids were rebuilt as a princess and a pirate, though, because the store next door has the Bippidi Boppidi Boutique and the Pirates League where little kids can get made over to look like princesses and pirates.

Yeah, I saw a little girl getting made up behind the glass, and a few more princesses walking around. But I was more impressed with the little black kid who had Captain America facepaint. I wanted to tell him about how there was a black Captain America for real. Yeah, that wouldn't have been weird.

Plastik posted:

Yeah, I'm a Disney quasi-nerd, what of it?

No shame in that, Disney is p. cool. And besides, you're admitting this to a group of adults who play with Lego.

(What do you tell people when you have a Lego hobby? Do you say 'play with Lego'? Wouldn't anything else sound like you're trying to hard to make it sound better? It's like a comic book geek who tells people he reads 'graphic novels' when he has a pull list of all the X-Men titles.)

How often does the PAB wall refresh? And you know, I was thinking about this last night... some AFOL should run a website that catalogs what is on the PAB on a monthly or maybe even weekly basis. This would really help me, as I'm in Tampa, so it's a day's event for me to go out there.

I really want a lot more tiles, and more architectural bricks, like arches and slopes. I did get some corner slopes, but it's kinda silly to have a handful of dark blue corner slopes when I don't have the normal slopes in that color to complement them.

OperaMouse posted:

What sorting? Half the fun is digging through the pile to look for that one piece.

I loving hate that. Always did, even when I was a kid. I've got a desk table full of little containers and poo poo that is sorted. I do have a 16 quart bucket of unsorted Legos though, mostly from things that I've taken apart, like my Hyundai Tiburon and the Pokemon Center. And I need to put my PAB haul away too. I might do that today, while watching a few movies and listening to podcasts.

Revol fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 6, 2011

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Dre2Dee2 posted:

You should've got Herorica so you could tell us about it. :(

I have nobody to play it with.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

CADPAT posted:

I use these things:

http://tinyurl.com/3auryvb

They're great.

They're awesome. I have four of that size, and one larger that holds a lot of my Technic axels and pins.

I've posted photos of my set up before, and I'll do it again since the subject has come up.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

VanSandman posted:

I am honestly offended that you sort them. I'm not sure why. I think it just strikes me as the "wrong" way to play.

I think that's it. I don't "play" with Lego like I did when I was a kid.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

The_Doctor posted:

The one downside which I found out half way through.. there's MegaBlocks in there. Gah. Luckily, it seems to only be black pieces, but it means I'm now checking it all more carefully while sorting now. And I'll have to go through the black bin now to make sure. It really is crappy stuff, isn't it? I'm putting it all together as a mass to make sure I don't lose any, but it seems to have trouble fitting to itself.

My Lego collection is littered with knock off poo poo, mostly Tyco from the 90s. Sadly, I didn't sort it out of my collection when I did the big sort into bins when I came out of my Lego dark ages.

It's not like they're completely useless. If you're building something large enough, use your lovely Megabricks to fill in poo poo that isn't seen.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I got this when I was at the Lego Store last week. I have to go to the website to register it, though.

While I'm sharing pictures.. I finally got around to opening the Grab Bag I got last week. Seems like a decent haul... I got a SHITLOAD of 1x8 white tiles.

There's a lot of 1x2 white grill bricks, which are always nice to have. I also see a lot of 1x3 green bricks. But then I get this useless poo poo:

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Chronojam posted:

These are neat pieces and I wish I had more :confused:

Really? What would you use them for? The only thing I can think of is if you wanted to build a minifig scale garage. And even then, I don't know if I need seven of these things.

And I also got like ten extra doors for them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Those clouds are awe-inspiring.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I hadn't heard of Brothers Brick before, but this alone made me bookmark their site.

They're a blog that posts other people's works, usually from Flickr. (Although, they do post a few original works of theirs which are good too.)