Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

At the family home, I have a bunch of mid 70's sets all jumbled together from my youth. Does anyone think it's worth looking through them and finding rare poo poo and maybe selling it? Or is it not worth the effort?

(When me or my brother eventually hand them down to our kids, I don't think they'll value the rare ones any more than the other 1000's.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

InfinEight posted:

If you're asking if their monetary value is greater than their usefulness as hand-me-downs, its hard to say. Personally I would rather pass on the collection than sell it, since it would be that more lego my kids could enjoy.
No, I mean more like pass on 99% of them to kids, and sell the 1% that are "rare" and worth $5 a piece, because kids don't appreciate rare as much as adults. But I'm not sure if there are really that many $5 pieces that it would be worth the effort...

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Good idea, I've been looking through the old sets. I never realized that I had practically all of the early Space ones. Big ones for Xmas and BDay, small ones to bribe me at various points.

And yikes, I'm glad I never got this one.

http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=565-1

The one from 27 years later is a little better:
http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=7468-1

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm surprised it makes financial sense for someone to sell an order of 150+ separate parts from an inventory of thousands, for a quarter or so each. You'd think inventory management and the picking times would make it an under minimum wage job.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Manchild King posted:

This is kind of weird to me. Are Lego intentionally trying to create "chase" figures? Im sure they realise the Roman Soldier will be highly sort after yet they only put 3 in a box. Yet low demand stuff like Skateboarder, Bandit and Mechanic are quite common. No one wants those lovely figs because they can already buy practiclly the same thing in existing sets.

Probably based on what kids are most interested in, rather than AFOL parts scarcity logic.

Given that, it is to Lego's advantage if people need to buy more bags to get what they randomly want.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Please don't do this. Working retail is miserable enough without people being cocks about this kind of thing.
Eh. Usually you just go "but the shelf says it costs X" and they go "but it's ringing up as Y" and then a manager is called and they override the price and then go change the shelf. Works out for everyone and not a big deal. It's only a problem when the clerk digs in their heels about the price. Clerks don't like to go against the what the till says, while managers prefer to just get you out of there in questionable situations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Got around to watching that Lego Ultimate Factories and was pretty amused that "all Legos are made in Denmark" may be true, but they ship the raw blocks right off to cheaper countries like Czech Republic and Mexico for packaging, painting, etc.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What's the deal with those Star Wars sets that are a round ball, a minifig, and a mini model? Like 9676. Is it just throw some random poo poo together so they can sell it again?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm surprised it's taken them so long to do a Rancor since there was an original ROTJ Mattel set of him. Maybe because it's a big creature and they figure it would end up being a big custom mold and not very LEGO?

Like the one here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fbtbnet/6143033993/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

I think somehow people got into their minds that minecraft lego would be like a ten set theme with custom printed blocks and minifig scale mobs.
Yeah I've seen some comments that expected that Lego would create a whole new set of new blocks that would match Minecraft perfectly. Really in general a lot of idiot comments from people who clearly haven't paid attention to Lego for 15 years.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Joramun posted:

What are those weird pieces on the bottom with the mountain outline?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I thought the Garbage Truck was so cute I had to buy it. http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=4432-1

It's the first City set I've bought in probably 20 years. I found it's a bit different than the adult themed sets.

A few notes:

* The only thing that makes this a garbage truck are the fish and banana pieces. Is this marketed as a Recycling Truck in Europe? (Edit: I guess not since there is a Recycling Truck too: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=4206-2 )
* Ugh, stickers! I'm still as bad at putting these on as I was at 10.
* Wow, 60 page manual. A lot of steps put on a single piece.
* They didn't have these 1x1x2/3 slopes when I was a kid! Very cool.
* There are obviously a bunch of parts LEGO made so that vehicles are easier, like the exhaust pipe, the roof, the wheel arches
* These models seemed bigger when I was a kid. This is a pretty small vehicle.
* Very neat how playable it is, with the cabin roof coming off easily and the little crank to dump the trashcans in.
* Very good attention to detail. This is just a great looking set.
* They throw random color pieces in where they won't be seen... very clever to make this thing not all green and white when you want to build something else.
* Some of the pieces really bring back memories like the steering wheel and seat and the plane tail upright pieces. And the original door frame pieces!

Are any of the other City vehicles this cool?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

ChesterJT posted:

That building in Malaysia whose name I can't remember right now.

Closeup

Ha, I thought the normal Burj Khalifa was a fairly tedious build.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

djfooboo posted:

Youtube designer video on 10225 LEGO R2-D2
That didn't last long. Showing as private now. Maybe wasn't supposed to be posted yet?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, you should definitely watch that video to the end.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

mattfl posted:

So after a nice bonus at work today it's time to pickup a new set.
drat you, I read this post, thought "I got a nice bonus too" and decided I should also treat myself.

I don't really want to get into the modulars though, so I picked up the VW bus.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

In case you were wondering, Lego has officially tagged the sets for girls:
http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Girls-ByCategory

Not just Friends!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Really Lego Shop@Home? You rejected my order because of address verification, then took a week to bother telling me to call? And then the CSR was just like "are you sure you live at this address? maybe the card has your parents address on it?" Um, ok.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

VW Camper Van build is very cool, lots of neat techniques, but 1300 pieces sure is a lot of pieces to dump out on the table. I don't know how people build sets with 2-4 times as many without going mad. I know some sets use numbered bags that you don't open until a certain point... do all the big sets do that?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Testro posted:

I think when you're dealing with anything which has super small pieces, or has over 1500 pieces, pouring all of the pieces into one huge mound quickly stops being fun because trying to find that 1x1 brick in amongst the rest is such hard work.
yeah I realized that after piling most of them on my coffee table. Luckily I realized my error before I dumped in the small piece bags and I put those in a Tupperware instead. Made it much easier.

And really, the nastiest bit is when you need to find the single piece of a type and color left in a pile of 1000, and it is stuck under something.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This is adorable, especially how it breaks into parts and how you can buy more than one set and connect them.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=68038

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

I love this! I'm gonna try and reverse engineer it (you said 'buy' but I can't find a link to do so anywhere).
Oh yeah, not buy, build. Someone was saying he should put it up on Cusoo so that was on my mind.

A lot of the sets in that Eurobricks architecture contest are very nice. And a lot of obscure stuff that Lego will never do.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Saint Sputnik posted:

I really don't see why they don't include more female firefighters, police officers, etc. And that's not just with a potential girl audience in mind. You get the token space girl, or princess or damsel in distress, but it would benefit boys to see women in otherwise male-dominated fields as a normal thing.
A few off the top of my head:
Forest Police Station has a female ranger.
Garbage Truck has a female worker.
Recycling Truck has a female boss (or maybe a customer)
Police Station has a female police officer.
Fire Station I think has a female fire fighter?

Given that, a small typical set from police or fire is going to have a male character.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 17, 2012

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It does seem like they concentrated more on the functions than the looks though.

Surprising since a dome seems like old hat SNOT nowadays. Do the central cross with normal slopes, then have the corner pieces be separate assemblies that stick on.

On the Cusoo front:

Kazy posted:

Back to the Future is almost at 10k though :dance:
I am not a huge fan of that Delorean. It seems very 90s style LEGO. Too bad, it's a neat concept for a bunch of sets.

This Eve Online ship hit 10k too, just today. Another "maybe if we get the license for free" thing:
http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/11619

This Apple store has an adorable Steve and Woz, although it would only get made if it was not actually Apple:
http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/10142

smackfu fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 26, 2012

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Torael_7 posted:

It's a good match, but they do need to change the color. Fuckers are brown in the game.
Do they use the actual submitted model for Cusoo stuff, or just use it as "inspiration" for the real LEGO designer?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We also don't really know how many sets of some of the themes even sell. Like how many Architecture sets are sold, especially the big expensive ones? A $200 Robie house model seems a lot riskier than a $30 BTTF Delorean, even if $5 of that goes to the license.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It is kind of funny we are all seem to find the Raiders of the Lost Ark series perfectly normal, but Back To The Future is a long-shot.

I would love to play a LEGO BTTF game.

P.S. Raiders isn't exactly family friendly, especially the second one.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

InfinEight posted:

They're probably talking about more realistic stuff, like pieces in large, expensive sets that were only produced in a certain color for that set, or unique new pieces that were introduced in just one or two sets initially.
I know in the "meet the designers" videos, they talk about how certain sets give you hundreds of cheese slopes and such.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Shuppiluliumas posted:

The Serenity cuusoo project got its 10,000 votes. Fingers crossed, I guess.
It's odd that they allow projects where the person goes "this is not for the model in the photos".

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

I assumed lego would redesign whatever was submitted anyway? It's more of a concept proposal.
True, but they ask questions like "how much would you pay for this set?" when you vote for stuff, and saying something like "the real one will be minifig scale" screws that up.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

sybir posted:

I had the same thing in my account. I think maybe the VIP card they send out if you sign up on the site instead of in-store? I remember the timing sort of lining up.
Oddly, it's mailed directly from Malta.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Dug out some old sets and wow, there is some serious yellowing on a few of these old white minifigs.

It may not come across in the photo, but I thought maybe this was a sand variant at first, it's so tan. The helmet is still perfectly white though. Very odd.

So much for my plan to sell a few old minifigs on Bricklink... and this is right on the heels of trying to sell an old NXT system then finding out the batteries had been left in it and had corroded up the $100 main unit.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 14, 2012

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Have you thought of making BrickBadger silently ignore those three cent below list price drops? Maybe just treat it as list price instead of 0% off?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

That's pretty clever to take advantage of the fact that the store clerk isn't going to be able to tell it's the wrong LEGO set when they ring it up. Like just switch Police Station for Police Car or something. And the sets are surprisingly expensive so a 50% discount would probably not be noticed.

The less clever part is that you are screwing up their inventory pretty badly, and that's the kind of thing that will get noticed by a competent store. "Why did we get 5 more of these sets if we already have 10 on display?"

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Sockser posted:

Restickered and bought two sets for $170 at a Target? I mean... Target doesn't carry like, the modular buildings or anything too insane. A Queen Anne's Revenge or something maybe I guess but that's still not too terribly huge of a discount over waiting for TRU sales...
This article has some more detail:
http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/VP-of-Palo-Altos-SAP-Arrested-in-Lego-Scam-152320475.html

Including: "So, for instance, Hendrickson said that Langenbach bought a $279 box of Millenium Falcon box of LEGOS for just $49,"

It also says Target pays particular attention to LEGO sets.

TriggerHappy posted:

Probably more like, why is he risking getting caught for an extra $30,000 a year when he probably makes a pretty good salary.

I'd assume same reason as most white collar crime: spending more than you make. Also I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't sell on other places than eBay, like bricklink or perhaps in Germany since he's German.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Amazon doesn't sell it themselves, but TRU.com does, so it's not that hard to find. So I guess it doesn't mean that much.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Gravy Jones posted:

Edit: Has something happened with regards to baseplates. I was reading a review of this set recently

and holy poo poo look at all those baseplates. I guess it's probably an expense thing. But I have such fond memories of sets like this:

That airport set was re-released in the mid 2000s with the same baseplates:
http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/10159-1

But yeah, I think the general philosophy now is that the baseplates are sold as separate packages, and you put the sets on them. Keeps the packaging smaller.

I think they used to do that way back too... I think the road baseplates were sold as sets.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Crazy Pigeon posted:

I just recently saw the story about the "tomsbrickyard" seller. I've bought from him numerous times over ebay, all sets without minifigures for extremely low prices.
Hmm, do sets without minifigs generally go for a lot off? Because I don't really care about minifigs...

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Some neat sets:

Japanese modular: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/53
Hindenberg: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/9192

Licensed planes is a neat idea for a theme, although the execution is lacking: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17598

That stupid dark SW bucket is going to get 10k: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/2674

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm bored. What's the best set that is easily found at retail in the US? Every other set I've bought lately is hard-to-find on Lego.com.