Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
The funny thing is, the Y-Wing was always portrayed as an older fighter with its hull cladding stripped off for easier maintenance, even before the CW series came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Wal-Mart on highway 7 and 400 had em but they were picked clean of Spartans, which is the only one I really wanted.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

InfinEight posted:

What a thing I have made!

What is it? I dunno! But I'm forcing myself to go to bed.

I don't know what it is but I think the Combine are behind it. :cthulhu:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I got it in my mind to start building a tank. What I have so far looks OK, considering I'm stuck using the rubber tracks you see on the 7248 excavator. My wife's pump truck is starting to come along decently but she's hit a road block parts wise and wants to place an order on bricklink. Perfect time to pick up some proper tracks for my tank.

Now I'm stuck wondering how many I need. I'm thinking of picking up enough of the wide technic track for wide tracks and a bunch of chain that I can use either in single width or doubling up for smaller tracks.

Now, how much do I need? I'd want at least enough to do a 20 stud long tank with either one string of 3873 track per side or 2 strings of 3711 track per side while using the 24 tooth gears for the wheels.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

InfinEight posted:

Well, for example, the Bat-Tank came with 158 of them to make really long tracks. For you I'd say 60-80 would be safe, but if you like, I could actually mock it up for you myself and give you a more accurate count :shobon: Basically you're looking for how many it takes to make a full loop using only two 24 tooth gears 20 studs apart, right?

If you have the time that'd be awesome, even if it's just the smaller chain. After looking at the bat tank I'm in a better position to guessstimate how much of the wide track I'll need.

That pump truck my wife is putting together is going to cost me a fortune. She's rainbow warrioring it, picking out a color scheme after wards, handing me a parts list and saying 'this is my birthday gift'.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jordanis posted:

New Space Shuttle and Spaceport, too. The new Shuttle uses that new one-piece airplane nose, and I do not approve. The new Spaceport, though, that's pretty hot poo poo. Fuckin Delta booster, man.

I agree with the 'begin hating' comment about that monstrous ninja bike. It's the size of some of the bikes in the creator line but for a mini-fig? Come on.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

InfinEight posted:

I am really sorry for not responding to this sooner, I admit I forgot because it got late. Hopefully you haven't ordered already, and I can still help:

I wasn't sure if you are going for exactly 20 studs long for the entire vehicle, or 20 studs between where the ends of the tracks are mounted (as pictured). For the one in the pic, it takes 66 links minimum, but that's binding the gears, and 67 links is too loose. Hope that helps!

Bad rear end. I can deal with the gears binding, either by having the track slack (half the reason why most tanks have the drive wheels at the back) or by doing something like putting a 2 hole 1x2 at the end of the beam.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

AstroZamboni posted:

Okay... I think it may be true love.

This girl I've been seeing for a couple of weeks is a serious LEGO hobbyist. She also spins, dyes and knits/crochets her own wool products and sells them.

A couple nights ago, she showed me her latest project; an incredibly detailed knit yarn doll of a lego minifig (about 8 inches tall and fully poseable) with interchangable heads patterned on popular minifig faces. It was one of the most awesome things I've ever seen. I very nearly came in my pants when she showed it to me.

And that's only one tiny facet of her awesomeness, and she's beautiful too. She also seems to have feelings for me, which is bizarre.

So yeah... If being an AFOL actually helps me get laid, I will declare AFOL a religion and try to get it a tax-exempt status. I will bow down and worship the Danish gods who helped improve my life.

I have a wife who's a nerd and an AFOL. 99% of the time it's awesome. I never get 'the look' when I ask to go to the toy department, I'm not lectured about wasting my time playing video games and I don't have to hide any of my nerdy poo poo. My gaming PC is in the living room (with hers next to it) and from my desk I can see probably a couple grand worth of Lego sets on display.

The 1% is the fact that right now she's hogging a lot of the round 2x2 bricks for that concrete pump truck she's working on. I'm not going to complain though, after all, marriage is all about sharing.

It's early to say this but if possible you need to marry this girl.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Be prepared for the better part of a decade worth of of getting bricks stuck to the bottom of your feet until your kid learns the benefits of keeping legos put away.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Speaking of sorting, I decided today to tackle the rest of our collection. Most of it's finished and stored in these things:

Heh.

After sorting the hinge bucket, which I had to make stacks for until we get another tackle box, I decided to finish the last of our collection...

When God gives you Bionicle, you seriously consider throwing it all out.

At least the Technic assault droid will make for some interesting pieces. I don't know if it's complete, came with the Bionicle which we only bought because it was mixed in with a ton of normal stuff.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
At least 3/4 of that thing is 'normal' Technic pieces that aren't in colours so horrid you wouldn't be put off using them for something else.

I'm almost through disassembling the Bionicle. After this I'm going to challenge myself to build something using some of the pieces that I haven't pretty much automatically tossed in to the Bionicle reject bucket.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh god the concrete pump truck my wife is building is now becoming a concrete pump truck with electrics and pneumatics. I can't afford this poo poo.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Still works in progress but I got my Technic treads and chain for my birthday, along with the Indiana Jones jungle cutter (which I built and then immediately tore apart and started scavenging for parts).

I like the 2 chain method for narrow tracks, it looks great.

Wide tracks on the first draft of my King Tiger which I'm going to tear down and start over today. Some of my gray pieces are 25-30 years old and in need of a soak in mild bleach. EDIT: This is why some sellers on Bricklink feel the need to advertise that their stuff comes from non smoking households.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Whatever it's going to end up resembling when finished, version 2 already looks a hell of a lot better than version 1.

Just squeezed in the driver and radio operator positions.

This took me a long time to get right.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 26, 2010

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I got 90% of the way through the main part of the tank when I realized I'd hit a small snag; the driver and radio operator hatches won't open when the turret is attached. I'm going to have to tear the thing down and make it at least 4 studs longer, which requires changing pretty much everything..

I figured I'd finish it up as it is first to see how it'd look now with a few finishing touches. I know it's not 10K views on Mocpages quality but I impressed myself and figured out a few tricks along the way.

The engine compartment is more or less the same, I didn't bother adding much to it seeing as I'm rebuilding. The 2 1x1 cyls hold up the rear of the top deck.

Driver and radio operators positions didn't change, but it does show how I used that piece in the bottom left corner (no idea what it's called) to hold the deck on.

The hull with the driver and radio operator turned out.

Fat rear end tank.

Gunner/Commander looking through the front of the turret. I need to add a dark tinted 1x2 window there. The whole thing sits on top of a 4x4 turntable.

And in place, turret off.

Complete with the commander turned out.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
We decided to do Christmas a bit early this year. Sometimes this hobby makes Warhammer look cheap.

A ton of dark green for another tank (mostly 1x3 and 1x6 bricks, a ton of 2x3 left and right wedges and so many 4x6 and 1x8 plates, making it hard to build with but I'm making due until I get more) that Indiana Jones set I'll eventually cannibalize for half tracks and such and hydraulics and power functions stuff for my wife.

If any of you are in the GTA you really need to check out Lasting Toys in Mississauga. They don't just sell sets, they also have a lot of this stuff and it usually works out to be around the same price as buying off of bricklink and having it shipped.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Old news or not it's awesome and I never get tired of seeing it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm just about fed up with the Sherman I'm building. I just can't get the tracks right. This chain is proving to be a pain in the rear end to work with.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I finished my Sherman Firefly, armed with a 76mm 17 pounder anti-tank gun and fitted with a Chrysler A57 Multibank Engine,; 5 inline 6 blocks combined to form a 30 cylinder 201 ci engine. Some things look a bit 'off' because I have a limited supply of dark green. I think it came out pretty good.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Flavor Bear posted:

That mechanism for rotating the turret seems obvious, but it's actually really inspired.

Ya. The whole point of it was to have something small that didn't look all that out of place when the turret was removed and let me put the turret on without worrying about the orientation of the turntable.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

Nice Tommy Cooker, but where's the flames coming out of it? :11tea:

Great work, can we have a profile shot of the turret too? I really like the Firefly's sleek 17 pdr gun, I'm curious how it looks in Lego.

I'll set it up, but it doesn't look terribly impressive to be honest. I didn't have the proper pieces for a decent Sherman turret.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I want to find out who had the bright idea to start pumping out light bluish gray pieces and punch them in the dick. They apparently stopped making the 'normal' light gray in 2008.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I just brought it up because I went hunting for 4 x 4 macaroni bricks because the 2 x 2 just don't cut it for a Tiger turret and then discovered that they don't come in 'normal' gray.

Back to the drawing board. Again.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I finished up a bunch of stuff. If any of you want more detailed shots let me know.

Tiger I

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

A Japanese torpedo bomber (adapted from the Indiana Jones fighter so don't give me too much credit for it).

A pirate ship, WIP I guess, I haven't added a lot of detail to it but I'm setting it aside for a bit.

And a pair of Vic Vipers. When I started the first one I was trying to build a P-38 Lightning :v:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
But of course. I wouldn't build a Tiger without space for ze Germans. I didn't have nearly as much space as I did in the Sherman though.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Lego is a virus as much as a toy. A lot of my relatives and friends have mentioned digging their stuff out of the attic, you know, 'just for nostalgia's sake' after visiting us and seeing our stuff.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jut posted:

have any of you used that boxforblox sorter thingy? I wish i did more sorting as my collection grew eeep!

boxforblox owns when sorting and the medium base plates fit perfectly in it making them stackable normal boxes for temporary storage when working on stuff.

Also, sorting by color is horrible. Search for my name in this thread to see my rolly bins for normal bricks and tackle boxes for smaller parts. So far it's been the easiest way I've found to do it while still being able to move it. Most of our stuff is sorted out to individual pieces; one tackle box for plates, 4 or so for technic, another for tiles etc. There aren't a lot of things we've had to leave completely unsorted like BURPs, big windows and doors, minifig stuff, bionicle etc.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Make an account on bricklink, set up a wanted list and see if you can get it down to 1 or 2 stores to save on shipping. Unless you used some super rare or expensive parts it shouldn't cost you more than 20 bucks plus shipping.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's pretty awesome.

It'd be even more awesome if it was a push prop.

Rebuild it, you know you want to.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ahh, I see it now. It's more of a configuration like the Do 335, one engine and prop in the front, the other in the back. Ballin.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Glass Joe posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > MEGABLOKS Halo: the Authentic Collector's Series Mega(blok)thread

I hope Brix Blox are next! :neckbeard:

Best Lock Megathread: Sometimes the bricks actually stay together.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The sad thing is, now that I've gotten a closer look at the Falcon and Queene Anne's Revenge, I don't think I'll bother with either of them.

I'll probably just get a Black Seas Barracuda on Bricklink to go along with my Imperial Flagship and if I ever have the cash to burn I'll shell out for an UCS Falcon.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think he's making reference to the large animals like the dinosaurs in the Dino Attack series. A cow or a chicken is one thing, a 10" tall Lego tyrannosaurus made out of 3 pieces that you couldn't even tell was a building toy if not for the Logo is another.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Construx Megathread: Nobody remembers Fischer Price's best stuff.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think peeron got moved or cloned to http://www.brickfactory.info/ It's the same site and a hell of a lot faster.

EDIT: I was thinking of the wrong site, still, brickfactory is a good site if you just want the instructions, especially for older sets.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I didn't have to deal with something quite so big but when we moved we probably spent a good half an hour removing wings from space fighters, rigging from tallships and radio antenna from transport trucks so we could pack them all in a box that I think was originally used to ship a golf bag or something.

Good times.

EDIT: also, I'm pretty pissed with myself that I never bothered to get a UCS Falcon back in the day before my life went to hell. It was on my wishlist list after our Paris trip but when everything went to poo poo a year ago I forgot about it. Now that my life's finally stopped falling apart I see that the thing is going for closer to a grand on Bricklink, I think I'm not going to bother.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 21, 2011

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
An 8480 Technic Shuttle arrived in the mail today. I had to sort and count all 1368 pieces to make sure it was all there.

My wife's wanted this thing since it came out in 1995, she still has a completed order form stashed somewhere in the house, she never asked her parents because she knew they couldn't afford it.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 5, 2011

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 28, 2017

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well, my wife likes her shuttle a lot. Unfortunately the micro motor that controls the satellite's solar panels was either broken when it arrived, or broke when I dropped it yesterday while checking to make sure all the pieces were there. :toot:

Oh well, already ordered a new one on Bricklink and I'm looking through the store I ordered from to see if there's anything I want, seeing as we're already paying for shipping.

That website is like crack. In fact, it's a little too much like dealing drugs. The first order I ever made was with was a local guy who allowed pickup so I literally drove to some strange guys house on a Saturday morning, handed him some cash and got a little Ziploc baggie full of sweet sweet bricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
That's pretty sweet. I'm going to steal that cockpit design for something, I have a lot of those things laying around.