Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They're all over the place now, but you can usually find image leaks on Hoth Bricks or the Eurobricks forum.

Lego is notorious for fudging movie scenes, but you never know. So possible Justice League spoilers in the pics.

I like how it's not even attempting to hide the big reveal the trailers are trying their best to hide until opening weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Don't do this if you are building a Star Wars.

What if I'm building a Star Wieners?

duz fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 12, 2017

duz
Jul 11, 2005

I think it's kind of neat they have MOCs as well. Other than the fact the original designer isn't even getting a design credit.

Anyways, I got bored yesterday and went out and bought the Detective's Office. Just finished it and it's pretty neat. I haven't done any serious Lego stuff in decades so it was interesting seeing all the fancy things they do with these expert sets.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

axeil posted:

I assume to buy Lepin you have to go through some shady Chinese site? I'm not opposed if I ever tried to do one of the crazier giant old builds, just wanted to know what I'd be signing myself up for.

Captain Invictus posted:

Lepin can be found on aliexpress I believe.

Yep. If you search this thread for lepin, you can find goon reviews of the quality. I just got the Lepin Town Hall to go with my Lego store Detective's Office and I don't regret either purchase. After not touching Lego for a long time, these expert buildings are fun.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

TBH I'm betting Lepin is literally stealing molds for elements and then altering them. This means no throwback sets.

If only TLG would just re-issue sets. gently caress resellers, I want that big rear end Falcon.

Naw, it's not stolen molds. The Chinese company TLG uses just makes some copies at night without the tm and then those get distributed. Which means they can only make pieces that have been outsourced to China (no throw backs). It's the case for anything you have made in China.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Dr. Benway posted:

Does anyone have any tips for setting up an aliexpress account that doesn't require a DNA sample, SSN, and naming rights of my first born.

I didn't read the user agreement that closely, but I don't remember having to do anything out of the ordinary other than a double captcha.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

ChesterJT posted:

Just found a picture of that suitcase thing. What the hell is it exactly?

The Lego are a little beach scene, chair, umbrella and camera. No idea how much the case can hold.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

DrChud posted:

Would someone get fired over this?

Only if it was on purpose or they're a repeat offender. This sort of stuff happens all the time in warehouse jobs because they're such terrible jobs.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Oh good, double vip points for 4th of July weekend. I'll put off buying the bank building until then.
Also, this AT-ST is awfully front heavy and likes to flip over, I need to investigate this.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

rickiep00h posted:

Apropos of nothing, that avatar is rad as hell and I have zero idea what it means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMJCN_enTIg

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Is there anywhere to get a reasonably priced sv or are they just gone until like mid July at the earliest

I was at the local Lego store last weekend and they had a small pile behind the counter for people who asked.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

mitochondritom posted:

Wow, I wonder if Lego can do more to nail them down now? I mean the studs on those photos clearly have the LEGO logo on them. I guess the answer is no and these jokers are an acceptable trade off to cheap as gently caress manufacturing in China.

That's cause they just grabbed the photos Lego released and threw their badge on it. Once Lepin starts actually making the set and they'll have new pictures that they own and they'll be back in the clear.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Are these Lepin sets the factory that makes sets for Lego doing an extra run at night? Or did they just sell old molds to someone else or something.

They're not the original molds since they don't have the Lego stamp on the pieces. However the quality on them is so high, it very well could be the same factory and they just made two sets of molds, one Lego for during the day and one Lepin for during the night.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Please people stop saying how the Lepin bricks are indistinguishable from Lego. They are different.

Lepin are lighter, cheaper plastic, and the edges and corners are sharp.
1x1x1 pieces are not uniform in size like Lego. If you build a tile mosaic or something, there will be more wobble.
Specialty pieces are often jacked up.

Lepin isn't all bad and most of the stuff is good. But please stop lying about them. The only time to buy Lepin is if a product is out of print.

Or maybe we just haven't experienced those issues and aren't being deceitful?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

My cats routinely knock down the Tie Advanced Prototype.

A bitch to put together again. Lost a shooter and one circle plate.

I wouldn't be that upset if all my cat did was knock them over. Mine likes to chew on any piece small enough to fit into her mouth. She hasn't swallowed any yet, but a few of the thinner pieces now have kitty bite marks on them.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Pyroclastic posted:

Some Lego stores may have the canvas totes left from the June promotion (spend $200+ to get one free). I grabbed Assembly Square today to take advantage of double points, and got a tote.

They also had a deal where you could get either size PAB cup, and get a 32x32 tan baseplate for just $5.

Yeah, I went to pick up the modular bank for the double points and the cashier let me know I just had to spend another $20 to get a left over tote. So I ended up getting the republic tank as well. And I got my name on the list for the Wonder Woman giveaway later this month.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Kea posted:

Dont give Lego the idea to inflate piece count, thats the last thing we need. As an aside what is everyone using for working out their MOCs?

edit: Also someone in china is producing sets of this https://ideas.lego.com/projects/c7e47c3b-867d-47d1-a5ac-a3d29a0530dc
Admittedly I kind of like the little starbucks.

I've also seen some of these kits listed as well. The chestburster's kind of neat.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Ineptitude posted:

Holy poo poo those guys are on fire

The Vespa is one of the, relatively speaking, best Lego designs i have ever seen. Even knowing it is Lego and seeing it up close it is difficult to see it is Lego.

This is the store that sells their stuff (including the vespa) and other MOCs if you don't mind non official Lego.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

smackfu posted:

Are the brick and mortar lego stores getting new stock of Saturn V or are they a dry well too?

They'll get more, but how soon probably depends on how much business the store does.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

It is a cheap way for Lego to see which new properties might be profitable to license.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Well the VIP wonder woman was a fun little build, never did one of the brickheadz before. They didn't have many people sign up for it at my store. It also came with a little krypto super heroes girls polybag.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Feenix posted:

It's weird that that Double Decker bus has just launched. My Lego store has literally had it on the shelves for most of July.

It was VIP only last month.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Feenix posted:

Yes but it was physically on shelves. Do they just tell non-VIPS to go gently caress off? :)

No, they tell them they have to sign up for the free VIP program to be able to buy it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Ghostbusters gets called a cult classic and it's one of the highest grossing comedies of all time.

No no, you miss heard, Ghostbusters is occult classic. :downsrim:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Kjermzs posted:

I've spent $150 on Walmart clearance legos because I found the Scuttler set on clearance in a town I was working in and then I checked this thread. Now I'm checking every Walmart I drive near on my 200 mile trip home tonight.

Most of these will be hidden and distributed during future birthdays and Christmas.

Same, the legodeal subreddit linked to a site that lists the prices at all nearby WalMarts, that really motivated me to drive around and spend money I hadn't planned to.
The Krennic shuttle is pretty neat.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Sadly didn't get any Scuttlers, seems the ones that were actually price marked as clearance were cleaned out right away, but everything that wasn't marked(or was on the top of the shelf where nobody could reach them) weren't. Investigation paid off!

Same, I got the krennic shuttle and both x-wings and none of them were in the clearance section or otherwise marked that they were reduced in price.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Invictus is an arbitrager of pretty much everything.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Ika posted:

Ya but considering the savings for not paying the famous person its still gonna be cheaper.

A lot of celebs don't overcharge for pure voice work anymore since it's an easy gig for them, they just use their normal voice, don't have to spend time in makeup/wardrobe, don't have to leave LA, etc. They know they can ask for the same amount as a seasoned voice actor and get the job due to name recognition. Billy West (Fry, Stimpy, Cheerio's Bee) has complained about it before.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Nearby Walmart marked down all their Brickheadz to $2 but by the time I made it over, only Captain Salazar was left, oh well.
They had also marked down the Mega Blocks Kubros to $1 so I picked one up to check it out. Mega Block quality is still pretty crappy, had to force pieces together multiple times since they didn't click into each other smoothly. On the plus side I now have a 1x2 slope with the Star Trek logo printed on it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

"This is for Brexit" - Lego, probably.

They said pretty much that:
https://twitter.com/rmlewisuk/status/807507790776373248

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Feenix posted:

So what's the story on VIP special stuff. It will be on the shelf at open tomorrow?

Yep, assuming it doesn't have the popularity level of the Saturn and sells out instantly.

Waltzing Along posted:

Guess I'll be heading into the Lego store tomorrow. Free cave people, as well. Then next month Fishing Store and whatever free thing and then October will finally be the bus. Unless something else awesome gets announced.

The calendar for September says two VIP sets, one is rumored to be the rumored UCS Falcon re-release. RIP all of our wallets.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

The prior one was $500 so that's a good bet as to the price of the new one.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

That's what they say about all the super expensive sets because they're Lego store exclusives.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

duz
Jul 11, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Couple of questions since I rarely shop at the Lego Store for more than PAB, and rarely use my VIP card. I want to go in tomorrow and buy the Snowspeeder, Can I use my 2x points right then and there to grab another set or is there a wait time? Also, are Lego Stores cool about holding sets for customers? It's an hour drive and I don't want to go there and find they are sold out.

As long as their system isn't down, you should be able to use them immediately after.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Nice, one of the Lego store employee said the Millennium Falcon box is so big they can only fit one on the shelf at this store.

Also, I finally caved and bought the Ninjago City.

duz fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 3, 2017

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Hey, the Postal Inspectors need to feed their family too.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Yeah, XingBao's doing a Chinese building line and also has a Maritime Museum (which I have) and a Toys R Us.
Due to the lawsuit, Lepin has been asking for fan designs which so far has included two modulars:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

I didn't mention the pre-lawsuit modulars from Lepin since they're all stolen designs, but yeah, they've got that one, a university, a bookstore and a hotel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Zerf posted:

Oh, didn't know about that. Just saw it while browsing AliExpress.

Yeah, I was curious about the Lepin MOCs and dug into it. They've got like a dozen stolen MOCs over the different lines. Since they might have to stop copying Lego's plans at the end of the month, they've started asking fans to submit designs for them to make so hopefully that means they'll stop stealing fan designs.

And if XingBao really is their legit arm, then maybe they're setting them up to take over and having Lepin just shut down.