Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
I bought the Winter Toystore a couple of days ago, my second set in 10 years (excluding the minifigs). It never actually went out of stock here in the UK so I hope it screwed over scalpers.

It's real hard to resist the urge to buy as much Lego as I can and get all my old sets down out of the loft. I just wish I hadn't given my old 12V train stuff away, those old motorised points go for a lot now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Picked up some series 5 minifigs from Tesco. They'd only just got them and they weren't even on the system yet. Had to get an employee put them through as Series 4.

Got the dwarf, eskimo, boxer, gangster and Jane Goodall. Not bad for a random grab.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

IronSaber posted:

Well that's a little disturbing. :stonk:

Anyways, are those new Dinosaur sets out yet? I'm getting a craving for Jurassic Park.

They are, I was in the Woodbridge Lego Store today and they had them in stock and on the shelves.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
A good haul this christmas. A relative got me the Lego Book, wife got me the Emerald Night and Medieval Market Village, and just picked up the post office on sale at the Lego Store.
Did use the free PAB box that came with the market village, wasn't a great selection on the PAB wall.
Wife is currently assembling the Queen Anne's Revenge she got.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

ChuckDHead posted:

Although basically every Lego set involving string ends up a disaster if it's not kept in its original form. Do they still use string, or is it all done with those really neat chain pieces that started to appear when I stopped buying Lego?

(Well, except for the odd neat minifig)

String has almost entirely disappeared from the Pirate sets. The string in the old Pirate sets was probably the worst for getting tangled.
Now they use this piece if they need to use some string.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

Gravy Jones posted:

It just strikes me as something they could do a little better in and the recent releases have been, if anything, worse in terms of representation.

And it's really just the sets aimed at kids that suffer the imbalance. The sets aimed at older audiences like the modular buildings, and the winter buildings tend to have an even split. Even the modular firehouse has an even split.
I made the argument a few weeks ago that the gender balance in Lego sets was pretty even these days, but later realised I was only looking at the AFOL sets. The sets aimed at kids are pretty bad.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
A good Lego shopping today. We were out looking for series 6 minifigs as there has been some sightings of them at super-Walmarts. No minifigs, but they were discounting a bunch of sets and we picked up a bunch of the little Creator and Lego Racer sets for $2.90 apiece.

Then we headed to the Lego store to fill up my free PAB box now that the crowds have died down. I much prefer this box over the cups, a drat sight easier to cram completely full due to it's square shape. Not the best selection of parts but I got a load of 1x4 flat brown tiles and 1x4 log bricks.

Tempted to head back to Walmart and grab more of these creator sets now.

Digital War fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 6, 2012

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Self conscious? You can't be self conscious and efficiently fill a PAB cup.

A good memory is when I was 18 I took a sports bag full of Lego into school and every free period we'd all spend the time building Lego. We'd make competitions of it too, building things like downhill racers and land yachts.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

Serotonin posted:

Yeah I got a couple of series 6 packs in our local supermarket (uk) and apparently I suck at feeling. Got a flamenco dancer and the genie (who is ace) rather than the Roman legionary that I was after.

The trick I find is to ignore most of the pieces and just try and find those unique pieces that you can't really confuse with anything else.
For the legionary try and find his spear, it's about 7 studs in length with a pointed end and the closest the other sets have is the 4L lightsaber blades in the minotaur, alien and spacegirl.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Well they're the only set that contains the Davy Jones minifig, which goes for more than half that price: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?M=poc031

In fact it looks like you can easily make that price back by just selling the minifigs.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
A good day today. Picked up the Maersk train for $95 and double points. The box had been opened but the set's complete, stickers and all.
It's a nice build so far, it's a shame that the sides of the engine aren't hinged to better show off the engine detail they put into it.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Since getting back into Lego I've not really built anything other than official models so I've been playing around in LDD to try and get to grips with MOCing.

I've knocked up a little shunter based loosely on a BR Class 11.

I don't think it's too bad for a first attempt but I was wondering if anyone had any pointers to improve the front top corners. I was hoping there be a 2x2 quarter circle piece to allow for a better join but if there is I couldn't find one in LDD.

Digital War fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 5, 2012

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Made some changes to my little shunter. Now with less goatse.

Made the front flat as per suggestions. And made some changes to the sides so now the hatches can be opened for that extra bit of playability.

I wish I could motorise this little thing, but there's no way I could fit a battery box into it. Thinking of making some kind of box van to shunt it around.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
I figured it was the old front. Glad to find out I'm not one of those who sees it everywhere.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Making trains is addictive. And I think I'm beginning to get the hang of some of the snot techniques.
Made a little pannier tank engine this time. GWR used to run these and since I grew up in the area these were a popular small train at the local steam railways.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

Loxbourne posted:

Digital War, where are you finding Train parts in LDD? I've been trawling the brick lists in it for train wheels, without success.

If you haven't already, go to View and then New Themes and enable Extended mode.

The large wheels are in the question mark section, and the small wheels are in the steering wheel section.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
I wish the power functions stuff weren't so big and bulky. Having to fit a great big box into a train is a real pain, and the IR receiver isn't much better. They try their best but they really don't fit particularly well into the Emerald Night.

Currently working on a little narrow gauge shunter. Looks like a scaled down version of my BR shunter so far. I may drop the size of the engine compartment and style it more like a Russian TU4.

I dream of one day having enough Lego to build a big railway layout and something like this would be a little narrow gauge mining train shunting coal out of a mine. I almost bought the Alien Conquest mothership to get the narrow gauge track for this, but I've really not got the space at the moment.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
But it's Lego, it just means you get to build them all over again.

Admittedly this time around it'll mean finding that grey piece you need from among the other 8000 grey pieces in the pile, but eventually you'd get there.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Your main issue are the mudguards, they're only available in a very limited selection of colours, and aren't available in that colour at all: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=50745

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Do they cycle the contents of the PAB wall at your stores much? My local one (Potomac Mills) hasn't changed much in the last half a year and I've pretty much exhausted it.

Only need so many steering wheels.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
I would lean towards fake.

There's no mention of Lego on the London 2012 sponsors page, which means they wouldn't be allowed to sell them in the UK.

Edit: Plus that image of the box is not the standard Lego image. It's a photoshop, one packet inside the box copied over and over. The box images of the other series are actual box shots.

Digital War fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 14, 2012

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Either this was an easy series to feel for, or practice makes perfect. We've managed to get the full set with just a spare space marine and tennis player.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

And why isn't the Rook brickbuilt?! :psyduck:

The rook is brick built?

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
You could try hydrogen peroxide, but I don't know what that'd do to the printing on the minifig.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
It is a tad odd. The latest image is a lot more convincing, but the big issue is that those aren't Team GB outfits they're wearing.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
The one good one in those GB Team minifigs is the boxer; blue vs red boxing.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Lego is almost always the last one out with the new sets. I don't know if it's other stores breaking streetdates or some anti-competitive rules that means Lego can't be the first out with their sets all the time.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Had another good trip to the Lego store the other day, they were selling off their damaged merchandise again. Picked up a 7939 Cargo Train for $140 and nabbed the single 7936 Level Crossing they had for $16. I do love my local Lego store.

I just wish I had had the money to pick up multiple Cargo trains.
Now I think we need to start a Cuusoo for more RC train stuff. They need to bring out another set of double crossover track, additional carriages, maybe another train shed.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
They would just discount the sets if they didn't sell. I can't imagine Lego every has to take returns of unsold stock, we'll buy even the worst sets when the price is right.

And it's looking more and more likely that there'll be no new train stuff this year. I need my train fix.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Yeah, it's shame, but I'm still pretty happy with the number of new train releases in recent years. Hopefully they'll keep it up.

Here's something to tide you over. I haven't been posting much lately because of real life and also Lego shows, but I did finish two new engines.

These are gorgeous trains. I wish I had the Lego collection to build stuff like that, I really need to get my old stuff shipped over from the UK.

Are those Big Ben wheels on that Streamliner? I've been considering getting some because I really want some mid-sized drivers for a saddle tank I'm working on.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
There's a damned good variety of Lego weapons these days. I took this quick snap of Lego weapons that I could find on my desk (and a Heroica box hiding under the desk).

There are 6 different styles of sword there, with some in multiple colours. There's even more to choose from than this, but I couldn't be bothered to dig through boxes.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
The bit on the bottom is probably a clikit bead in trans-clear.

Edit: on further checking, it appears that that bead is actually flat so it's not the piece. It might be a non-production version of the LOTR ring.

Digital War fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 6, 2012

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Just so you know, Davy Jones is one of the more valuable minifigs, he's only found in the Black Pearl set and he's pretty popular for some reason. They sell on Bricklink for an average price of $22.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Nice little piece on the UK's certified Lego professional:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20798476

I think he's got us all beat with his storage system.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

Saint Sputnik posted:

I'd be really into the idea, but I'm not sure what characters they could make at this point without duplicating collectible series monsters. Maybe a big molded Cerberus and a little Charon with boat set. Want a Jason and his crew on the Argo.

Nothing wrong with duplicating collectible series monsters. Most of the monsters in that line have already appeared in the Monster Hunter's line anyway. And it means that the cost for Lego to produce the sets are cheaper since they can use existing moulds.
They even have a three-headed dog mould from the Harry Potter line already.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Nah, the last sets with those old claws and arms were the Aquanaut and Hydronaut sets in the late 90s. I had a load of them, probably still in the loft at my parent's house.

These days the arms have been replaced by a locking version (parts 30552, 30553, 30554 and 41532). There isn't a true replacement for the old claw, they usually build a claw hand out of part 53989 now.

e:fb

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
The models aren't great. If you go to https://www.lego.com/club and stick in the code L4MBA from the bottom of that poster you can download the PDF that shows the models.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
Yeah. My wife has several of the Friends sets, and they're really nice builds.

That mention of the riding stable brings back a lot of memories. It was one of my favourite sets. I used to put kitchen paper in the little garden area and grow cress.

I have way too many fond childhood memories attached to Lego.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

Fatkraken posted:

Online polls.

This is apparently what the polls wanted: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=850458-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
That was one factor, but at the same time the Lego sets coming out were absolutely awful. Look at this set. A smidge over 300 pieces for the princely sum of 80 dollars. And on top of that the designs are all terrible.