Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
What do y'all in the industry think of the "manufactured" market for diamonds around the world? The whole de Beers / Cecil Rhodes thing where diamonds were actually common as hell and easy to harvest, and the company has since exercised a monopoly on diamonds that artificially inflates their value simply by virtue of a vast marketing effort that has convinced everyone that a REAL DIAMOND OMG is the best thing to have ever?

I don't actually know if I buy into any of the conspiracy mumbles but it's an interesting bit of history, imperialism and exploitation.

I guess to tag another question on: what are your thoughts on synthetic diamonds and do you feel any I guess... threat? To your industry from the increasingly easy lab-fabricated diamond presence in the market?

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

lazerbeak posted:

So, long story short Tiffany is not just some "mall jewler" and I invite anybody to go into a Tiffany and see our quality and to learn about our history and our pro-environment policies.

The "history" of the diamond industry was paying indigenous South Africans pennies to hold a garden hose on hunks of kimberlite. But tell us more about marketing!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
TOPICAL

My wedding rings just arrived (4 months early, ugh) and look badass. This is from a guy in Chapel Hill, North Carolina who does ridiculous mokume gane work.

For reference the band in focus is 6mm wide (I'm size 8.25). The seams / alternating color streaks are like a couple tenths of a millimeter.

I was pretty concerned about the general... gooniness? Of the color combination but as you can sort-of see in the background, if you buff the oxidized silver (this is 18K rose gold and silver in the mokume) the constrast essentially vanishes and the resulting color from any further away than knuckle-sandwich distance becomes a very orangey-white.

That said idgaf about gooniness because hey might as well own it. I highly recommend mokume for plain bands, the artistry involved is fascinating both aesthetically and technically.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 27, 2014

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I guess I can specifically mention my guy's name is Ted Hendrickson. Goldworks is the name of the store, if you're in the Carolinas I absolutely recommend checking him out.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
It varies quite a bit. I looked at Ploof, George Sawyer, and Ted, and the quotes for my initial thoughts ranged between $4k and $5500 for the two rings, and depending on the content of metal.

So, the biggest element of the price will be the amount of gold involved, and the pattern thereof. If you're shopping for 8mm bands in size 12, or want a crazy 4-metal mix (more waste) you'll be paying more regardless of which artist you engage. I got quotes when gold spot was at like $1200 an ounce, it's been going back up since then. I'm not sure how the economics of that break out on the customer's end.

• Locked thread