Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Excellent OP! Very interesting.

I was wondering if I could get some hot insider information on ametrine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

JohnnyRnR posted:

The only advice I can offer you on ametrine is that the majority that you see is absolutely fake. Like, this is in no way a natural stone. I would guess it is either synthetic quartz that has been color treated. The vast majority of ametrine that you find on eBay is synthetic or chemically adjusted to change its color. One tip is that the color change is often very abrupt in synthetic pieces.

But when you get a big natural stone it is absolutely stunning. This is a 100 carat fantasy cut piece that we are going to mount in a tiara someday. Notice how the purple creeps in from the points of the triangle. Color change in natural ametrine is very gentle. There are exceptions, but not many.

My God, that is gorgeous. Sorry to hear the real deal is apparently harder to find than I thought. Good to know, though; thanks!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I apologize in advance if this isn't the best place to ask. About a decade ago, I was given a ring as a gift from a family member, who passed recently. Unfortunately, the ring was a cheap (~$30) silver wrap ring and broke from heavy wear. I would be so happy if I could replace it. This ring was ubiquitous at various shops at the time I got it, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere now.

The ring in question:

I guess I'm looking for advice on where to look, search terms to use, etc. "Dragon Wrap Ring" brings up thousands of results, none of which are the correct one. Am I just hosed?

Edit: I have the top half, but not the tail.

Dienes fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 30, 2016

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

That's it! Holy cow, that price tag is a bit more than I expected. :eyepop: