Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yt2005
Feb 9, 2010
My brother once received, as a gift, an apparently limited-run Movado Museum-series watch, black leather strap, gold bezel, "limited" because at the 12 o'clock, instead of the classic gold dot, there was a diamond there. Not a big diamondy-shaped diamond from what I remember (though it was more than 10 years since I've seen it), more like a circle disc the size of what the gold dot usually is. My parents lost this watch when we moved (he was abroad at the time).
:negative:
My brother went from :aaa: to :byodood: to :qq: to :emo: when he first found out, but now is mostly just :( about it. He's getting married soon, and I want to conspire with his fiancée to replace it as his wedding present from his in-laws.

Problem is, even if I could find a genuine replacement, there's no way they could afford it. From what I remember, that thing was expensive. My plan now is to get a gold-dot Museum watch and take it to a Jeweler to have the dot dyked out and a diamond placed there instead.

I work in the diamond district in NYC, so finding someone probably won't be an issue (I also actually have a distant relative in the business... hmm), but I'm wondering about the feasibility and cost of doing this. The diamond could not have been very big, but I'm wondering about being able to find what I think was a very weird cut--I vaguely remember it being pretty flat-ish.

I presume that doing this would ruin the warranty, even though the movement would remain untouched; is this true? If it is, I might as well not bother with an authorized reseller--just find a trustworthy enough source, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yt2005
Feb 9, 2010

lazerbeak posted:

Instead of the 4C's that other jewlers use to rate diamonds we use a 5th to ensure quality. Go into any Tiffany in the world and I guarantee you that you will see the finest diamonds on Earth.
Honestly, that just sounds like you're parroting really, really simplistic and misleading marketing. I don't know if that's actually true, since I'm not a jeweler, but when a single brand decides that the way the entire industry has been rating diamonds for years, the way billions and billions of dollars of diamonds are bought and sold every year, is wrong, that just screams marketing BS. Especially since according to the site you linked, the "fifth" standard "Presence" is "precision, symmetry, and polish". Strange, I thought the first two were part of what "cut" was (in addition to the actual shape), and holy smokes did you just say polish?

Again, I'm definitely no expert so I could be totally wrong, but that sounds like the lamest bunch of hogwash I've seen in a long time... and I've been following the MLM thread!

("Presence"... yeah, sure, the entire diamond industry is scamming you and each other by not having another category called "Presence")

Now, I have nothing personally against Tiffany (I bought my wife's plain white gold wedding band there. Either there or Zales, I don't remember). Well, now I do, given that "Presence" stuff. Screw you, GIA, we know how to really rate a diamond. (EDIT: Although Tiffany indeed does not use GIA, that's not even my point. It's just the declaration by Tiffany that the method by which they measure diamonds is supposedly superior.)

EDIT 2: Now, it's not crazy to see why they have to actually deviate from the standard. See this article, where an appraiser rates their diamond as having 65% (plus setting) of the value that it was bought for. The article spins this positively, saying that the rest of the "value" is in the name. Which sounds exactly like what was said before. Gold flecks and a name.

yt2005 fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 28, 2010

yt2005
Feb 9, 2010
Well, it seems that a lot of people are continuing to ask about watches (and why not?) so I'll chime in with another watch question I had. My wife bought me a Stührling watch for my birthday this year, which promptly broke as soon as I pushed in the pin to start the watch moving after setting the time. She sent it back for a refund, and I wouldn't have minded her buying me another one, except for the fact that my brother also has a Stührling, and his broke after about 7 months. So, two questions:

1. Does Stührling just make really shoddy watches, or was it just weird luck that the only two watches of theirs I've ever seen broke?
2. Given the clear wealth of information available in your brains, and the clear lack of said information in mine, could you make a brief list of watch brands/models we should be considering/staying away from for different price ranges? Obviously tastes and styles differ, but I'm sure there's a couple of examples of watches and watch brands to universally stay away from or strongly consider.

• Locked thread