Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.
What are the most mechanically interesting/well designed watches?

Is anything with a quartz crystal setup going to be more accurate than a pure mechanical timepiece? Is it true that many of the fancy names in the industry put more money into advertising than timekeeping quality?

*EDIT* That was a not-very jewelery related question, so I'll add another in:

What do you think are some interesting metals used in jewelery design today? I've seen titanium for mens' stuff, which I think is a bit silly (neh, it's not jewelery it's super strong and masculine), and there are the classic precious metals mentioned in your OP, but what about rarer metals like Palladium and stuff? What, if anything are jewelers doing to stand out from the competition?

StopShootingMe fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jul 27, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

They might worry about inhaling the dust :) Sounds like a cool piece of jewelry though.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

Nice looking ring, man :) Is your fiance (I hope?) into science, because that ring represents a lot of cool engineering.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

Oh God, I strayed into GBS and started reading this thread, which concerns the theft of some lab created diamonds derived from human remains. Long story short, a family lost their kid, they had his ashes sent overseas to be used to make synthetic diamonds, which were then stolen in transit back to Australia.

Don't read the thread if you can't handle the posting quality in a bad GBS thread :eng99:

Would anyone here have a family member's ashes processed into a diamond? It makes more sense to me than an expensive burial, so long as the resulting stones are good.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

Silly Hippie posted:

Anyone have suggestions for engagement ring styles that are good for someone with teeny fingers (size 4, specifically)? My fingers are so weirdly small that anything with side stones or really any kind of detail has to have a very small center stone or it will, you know, not actually fit on the surface area available.

This is a weird problem to describe.

Photo, please. What is a size four finger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

Remove the crown so the ring will be even more goatse.

• Locked thread