Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Other Door
Apr 17, 2005

quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are called leafs fans. GO SENS GO
Interesting thread, and thanks for the info. I know absolutely nothing about this subject, and while I'd love to learn I can honestly say I didn't really understand the bit in the OP about how to value your own jewelry before you sell it.

I have a bracelet that was won by my parents in a raffle about 15 years ago. It is gold and diamond (sorry, don't know how much/what kind, but it doesn't matter for this question). At the raffle (I was told) the bracelet was said to be worth $5000. My parents had the choice to take the bracelet or else take $2700 cash. They took the bracelet.

Now I have it and want to get rid of it.

I took the bracelet to a mall jeweler, and they tested it and told me the diamonds were zircon and therefore worthless.

I then took the bracelet to a pawn shop. They tested it and told me it was real. They offered me $500. I declined.

I now have the bracelet in my safety deposit box and don't know what to do with it. My questions are:

1. How much should it cost me to have someone who knows what they're doing appraise it for me.
2. Would I be better off selling it as is or having it broken up into its individual components (eg. selling the gold and keeping some diamonds to put on a future engagement ring)?
3. Does this sort of thing depreciate with time? I know the price of gold is variable but is a used bracelet worth less than a new one from (hurrr) Tiffany's?
4. Want to buy a bracelet?

I have zero use for it as a bracelet (and I actually think it's rear end-ugly, but that's what I thought of my friend's $8,000 ring too so I'm probably not the guy to judge this stuff). $500 (what the pawn shop offered me) is useless to me and I don't desperately need that money, and from what it sounds like I'll never approach the $5000 I was told it was worth.

I could potentially see some value in the bracelet's individual components, but that also seems like a lot of work. The last thing I want is to have it sit in my safe deposit box forever.

Sorry for the long post, and for not including the actual useful information like the exact specs of the bracelet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread