Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Finally read Edgedancer. It was delightful. Lift is such a great character and I'm looking forward to what The Big B does with her going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Sanderson is a machine. Not only is Rhythm of War coming out, with the Dawnshard 2.0 draft completed AND an audio only co-written release of The Original, he's now getting into Skyward Three:

https://www.reddit.com/r/brandonsanderson/comments/iu72g1/skyward_three_update_one/

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
And now during my reread of WoK:

The Way of Kings posted:

Shallan fished in the safepouch inside her sleeve, bringing out her father’s broken Soulcaster. It had been sheared in two places: across one of the chains and through the setting that held one of the stones. She inspected it in the light, looking— not for the first time—for signs of that damage. The link in the chain had been replaced perfectly and the setting reforged equally well. Even knowing exactly where the cuts had been, she couldn’t find any flaw. Unfortunately, repairing only the outward defects hadn’t made it functional.

We got this in Chapter Nine, Rhythm of War:

Rhythm of War posted:

For years, they’d assumed no spren were trapped in Soulcasting devices. But with the Oathgates, Navani could travel into Shadesmar—and everything in the Physical Realm reflected there.

Soulcasters manifested as small unresponsive spren, hovering with their eyes closed. So the Soulcasters did have a captured spren. A Radiant spren, judging by their shape. Intelligent, rather than the more animal-like spren captured to power normal fabrials.

These spren were held captive in Shadesmar, and made to power Soulcasters.

That, plus all the epigraphs from Navani's lecture on fabrials makes me think that Shallan's Soulcaster didn't work because when she sliced through the setting, it released the captive spren.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Taking into account that fabrials contain a captured spren, the conjoiner type fabrials that use paired gems to project energy at distance seem especially insidious.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leng posted:

That, plus all the epigraphs from Navani's lecture on fabrials makes me think that Shallan's Soulcaster didn't work because when she sliced through the setting, it released the captive spren.

Or it was never real to begin with, and one of the (many) things shallan has forgotten due to her hosed up memory is soulcasting to make her family rich. She definitely had her powers in the interval between killing her mom and killing her dad, so there's something fucky there

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I got the audiobook version of Way of Kings recently. Jesus Christ, I haven't read something this interesting in years. How does Sanderson do it? This is one of the best crafted narratives I've ever read.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

VanSandman posted:

I got the audiobook version of Way of Kings recently. Jesus Christ, I haven't read something this interesting in years. How does Sanderson do it? This is one of the best crafted narratives I've ever read.

Did you get the unabridged one from audible or the GrapicAudio one with all the sound effects?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Keetron posted:

Did you get the unabridged one from audible or the GrapicAudio one with all the sound effects?

Unabridged. A 45 hour audiobook for the price of an audible subscription is a drat good deal.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

What does the abridged version even cut? The Flashbacks "Kaladin was a child at one point, lighteyes were dicks to him and he was sad"

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
How do you even abridge a book where every minute detail is important

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

graphic audio will swap in actual sound effects and remove 'he said/she said' stuff

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

How do you even abridge a book where every minute detail is important

Seriously. Practically everything Brandon notes in the text is important in some fashion. If it's mentioned twice or more then you know its a critical plot point even if it seems innocuous at first. If it's mentioned 3 times or more then its Brandon basically having a red siren going off that THIS IS IMPORTANT. Once you notice his pattern you can really start to guess some of the plot points if you are reading something of his stuff that is older. He seems to be hiding it better in Stormlight Archive though or at least making it less obvious how it is going to be important.

insider fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 21, 2020

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Considering the cremlings couldn't agree more.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Or maybe because it's a 10 book series (with novellas interspersed between those) it's pretty damned hard to guess since we are so far from the end of Stormlight Archive.

Even so, the end is apparently contained somewhere across The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance. So many rereads since Oathbringer came out and I still have no idea. I hope I'll have a better idea after Rhythm of War.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I sometimes wonder to what extend little things are plot point when writing them and at what point does a writer need a plot point and think, hey, that thing I described in chapter 3, that could be fun for this?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Just finished my Way of Kings reread.
Just with 11 chapters of RoW I'm noticing a lot of new things. I can't wait to reread it all again after November

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Keetron posted:

I sometimes wonder to what extend little things are plot point when writing them and at what point does a writer need a plot point and think, hey, that thing I described in chapter 3, that could be fun for this?

Sanderson is a walking refutation of JJ Abram's puzzlebox approach to storytelling.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Leng posted:

Even so, the end is apparently contained somewhere across The Way of Kings and Words of Radiance. So many rereads since Oathbringer came out and I still have no idea. I hope I'll have a better idea after Rhythm of War.

My money is on it being a death rattle. Coppermind has a good list, there's half a dozen or more it could wind up being.

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Death_Rattle

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Space Butler posted:

My money is on it being a death rattle. Coppermind has a good list, there's half a dozen or more it could wind up being.

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Death_Rattle

quote:

A man stood on a cliffside and watched his homeland fall into dust. The waters surged beneath, so far beneath. And he heard a child crying. They were his own tears.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I’m about 2/3 of the way through my first re-read of Way of Kings and have been picking up things here and there, but is there a collected list of things that have been hinted at so far? Like, page 300 Shallan stubs her toe on a cremling this was actually a cremling spy dude.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It's probably this one:
Three of sixteen ruled, but now the Broken One reigns.

Have fun thinking about how many different ways that can be interpreted with regards to the state of Roshar and the Cosmere by the end of the Stormlight books.

e: It could be anything from a reformed Honor ruling after Odium's defeat, an entity that's some mix of the three shards, or even the current Odium who I'm 100% certain contains fragments of Honor (hence why things like oaths and the champion challenge can bind him so strongly, because he's honor bound to abide by them).

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 21, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's probably this one:

Have fun thinking about how many different ways that can be interpreted with regards to the state of Roshar and the Cosmere by the end of the Stormlight books.

i've seen people talking about that one and the wobs seem very inconclusive and have a lot of RAFOs, which is usually a sign people are at least rightly suspicious about something

definitely agree it sounds promising, since it strongly implies that either "the Broken One" is someone different than Odium, or the Broken One is Odium but there was some third shard other than Honor and Cultivation there before him

[not putting this in quote tags since it breaks the spoiler blackout]

"yfriedd (paraphrased)
Given the Sibling, and the Death Rattle about how "Three of sixteen ruled, but now the Broken One reigns", was there a third Shard on Roshar with Honor and Cultivation prior to Odium's arrival?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)
RAFO.

Good question."

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

ManSedan posted:

I’m about 2/3 of the way through my first re-read of Way of Kings and have been picking up things here and there, but is there a collected list of things that have been hinted at so far? Like, page 300 Shallan stubs her toe on a cremling this was actually a cremling spy dude.

From the last RoW preview chapter, I saw someone claim that Leshwi criticizing humans - "so many of these are cremlings" - is evidence of Aimian infiltrators.

So... don't go that deep.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

It's probably this one:

e: It could be anything from a reformed Honor ruling after Odium's defeat, an entity that's some mix of the three shards, or even the current Odium who I'm 100% certain contains fragments of Honor (hence why things like oaths and the champion challenge can bind him so strongly, because he's honor bound to abide by them).

That would track with Sanderson’s involvement with WoT and Rand dealing with a wound that never healed and a link to Moridin. Maybe part of Honor was splintered into Odium when they fought. Though that may be too similar to Preservation sacrificing himself to put Ruin in the prison.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't he say in a livestream recently that after RoW we'll have canon names for all sixteen shards? That tracks rather well too.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Space Butler posted:

Didn't he say in a livestream recently that after RoW we'll have canon names for all sixteen shards? That tracks rather well too.

I want to say he downplayed that or said he didn't mean it literally, more like "I'll have everything worked out and firmly know" rather than the readers would, but I could be misremembering

hell maybe Hoid'll just sit everyone down and explain who all his pals were when they Reached Heaven Through Violence

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Guys guys guys guys guys

https://www.tor.com/2020/09/22/read-rhythm-of-war-by-brandon-sanderson-chapter-twelve/

That chapter. I'm not even capable of being coherent right now. I NEED THE REST OF THIS BOOK NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW

Edit: Adolin and Kaladin are the best bros. I thought Kaladin had issues before but this is BAD. Adolin and The Three have a weird rear end relationship. Rock freaking LEFT no wonder the Rock novella has to come between Stormlight Four and Five. Drafts of Dalinar's autobiography floating around doesn't seem to have done at much damage as initially thought, though maybe that's because there's been a one year time skip.

Leng fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 22, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This was a good chapter.

Adolin, of course, is still the best behind Lopen.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Casual boob chat from a Mormon writer? What will the elders think?

Seriously, though. I laughed hard at that bit. And he will absolutely get complaints about it, which also makes me laugh.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That was a good chapter indeed. Sad, funny, informative... Lots of stuff.

And yea drat now I really need Dawnshard

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

TheMadMilkman posted:

Casual boob chat from a Mormon writer? What will the elders think?

Seriously, though. I laughed hard at that bit. And he will absolutely get complaints about it, which also makes me laugh.

also shallan's alter is gay lol

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

eke out posted:

also shallan's alter is gay lol

Veil can appreciate five chull worth of cleavage without being gay, she's bi if anything since she's attracted to Kaladin and Adolin and likely a few other of the cool kids

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

Veil can appreciate five chull worth of cleavage without being gay, she's bi if anything since she's attracted to Kaladin and Adolin and likely a few other of the cool kids

yes i am using gay broadly

to be fair, there's always been speculation about Bi Shallan, since iirc she thinks a lot about how intimidatingly hot several other women are

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Proteus Jones posted:

This was a good chapter.

Adolin, of course, is still the best behind Lopen.

I think he'll be better, this chapter I think really reinforces the whole "Adolin is going to wake up his blade" thing. He's already acting like an Edgedancer and that's the blade he's got. Going to be weird seeing him get trained by Lift, but whatever.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What does "acting like an Edgedancer" even mean? I don't feel like I have even an inkling of what their personalities might be like, beyond what we've seen with Lift.

I guess I can sort of see the second/third ideals embodied by him forcing depressed-rear end Kaladin out to the party and getting him to talk, but :shrug: I definitely agree Maya's gonna come back though

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Sab669 posted:

What does "acting like an Edgedancer" even mean? I don't feel like I have even an inkling of what their personalities might be like, beyond what we've seen with Lift.

I guess I can sort of see the second/third ideals embodied by him forcing depressed-rear end Kaladin out to the party and getting him to talk, but :shrug: I definitely agree Maya's gonna come back though

Mostly the second/third ideals. It kept getting pointed out that he knew the names of his soldiers and everyone in the bar, what was going on with them, that kind of thing. He actually seemed to give a poo poo about everyone he met, and wanted to get to know people. That's what Lift was doing in her story, although in her case she focused on orphans and the downtrodden it's the same type of thing.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I will remember those who have been forgotten. I will listen to those who have been ignored.

I don't know if it could be spelled out any more clearly than it was in this chapter, specifically given how his actions are shown in contrast to Kaladin's and Dalinar's. Adolin is an Edgedancer.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I suppose; wasn't it also said Dalinar's the same way though?

Adding to what you said about him in the bar today, there was also that scene in WoK where Kaladin sees Adolin help/rescue a woman in Sadeas warcamp, so yea maybe :)

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

From the chapter:

quote:

That was the sort of thing Adolin did. Nobody bowed when he entered; instead they cheered and raised cups. Adolin Kholin wasn’t some distant brightlord or general who sat in his keep and pronounced edicts, tyrannical or wise. He was the type of general who drank with his men and learned the names of every soldier.

Dalinar disapproved. In most cases Kaladin would have as well. But… this was Adolin.

Dalinar would know who his men are, but Adolin gets to know them on a personal level. I think this will play into Kaladin's redemption. His hatred of lighteyes is holding him back, but Adolin's actions as a person who truly cares will help him to overcome that.

Seriously... this book is going to be so good. So many of the little things from the first three are coming together, and I can't wait.

The wait for Book 5 will be unbearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Sab669 posted:

I suppose; wasn't it also said Dalinar's the same way though?

Adding to what you said about him in the bar today, there was also that scene in WoK where Kaladin sees Adolin help/rescue a woman in Sadeas warcamp, so yea maybe :)

No, it explicitly said Dalinar disapproved of that sort of thing. He was more like Kaladin, who cared only about his soldiers.