Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

seaborgium posted:

Going to be awesome seeing him get trained by Lift

FTFY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

Seriously... this book is going to be so good. So many of the little things from the first three are coming together, and I can't wait.

The wait for Book 5 will be unbearable.

I think the wait for 6 / the second pentalogy will be worse :ohdear: But yea, November can't get here fast enough.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

I wonder if Shallan's also turning to alcoholism to deal with her problems. Adolin's "are you sure you haven't had enough?" this chapter and the line about her liking the drinks that got her drunk fastest from a previous chapter are ringing all my family-history-of-alcoholism warning bells.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Donkey posted:

I wonder if Shallan's also turning to alcoholism to deal with her problems. Adolin's "are you sure you haven't had enough?" this chapter and the line about her liking the drinks that got her drunk fastest from a previous chapter are ringing all my family-history-of-alcoholism warning bells.

yeah it may not be a long-term character issue but it's obviously an immediate indicator that her "actually everything is great!" pretense isn't true at all. though her alters now just literally telling her closest friends that make it even more obvious lol

i honestly hope this is the book we find out shallan's Actual Whole Deal sooner rather than later, and move on from this. considering how centered it is in the early chapters, i have hopes

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

plus, she can burn off the alcohol any time she wants, so she is VERY intentionally getting drunk. Can’t be good for her

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
This and the last chapter were so much better than the proceeding 10. So excited the real book is on now.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

TheMadMilkman posted:

I will remember those who have been forgotten. I will listen to those who have been ignored.

Like Maya for instance.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Senor Sanderson posted on Reddit about yesterday's chapter, little confused by this bit:

quote:

This is the last we'll see of Rock in the book, I'm afraid. I really hope to be able to do the Rock novella sometime in the next few years to trace his course, but one of the things I forced myself to do in this series is keep the focus on the main storylines and characters.

Isn't he in Dawnshard though? :thunk:

Kinda sad to have hard confirmation he won't even be back at the end of it or anything. He is my favorite secondary character :(

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Learning from Robert Jordan is good. Of course, some people's favorite characters will not get the attention they deserve, but it's better than the overall mess that resulted in about a hundred named, semi-relevant characters in the Wheel of Time series.

Also, Dawnshard takes place before Rhythm of War, so I don't quite understand what exactly you're confused about.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 7, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I was mixed up, I thought Dawnshard would be Rysn and some Rock, but looking it up on Coppermind I was wrong; it's Rysn and Lopen

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Adolin is a wonderful friend and a hilarious doormat to his wife. No, wait the totally different person who inhabits his wife's body and doesn't love him. If Sanderson wasn't a prude I would assume Veil's antics were setting up a cuckolding conflict.

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Subvisual Haze posted:

Adolin is a wonderful friend and a hilarious doormat to his wife. No, wait the totally different person who inhabits his wife's body and doesn't love him. If Sanderson wasn't a prude I would assume Veil's antics were setting up a cuckolding conflict.

lol if you think one of Shallan’s parts (probably veil)isn’t gonna bang someone else by the end of this. These chapters have been great I’m happy I’ve been reading along but gently caress me I need the whole book.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I've been doing a fantasy reread these past few weeks and i'm rereading mistborn (first time rereading it) , just finished well of ascension. Boy the amount of plots that rely on the heros being deceived makes it a hard reread imo

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

He's admitted that he was far too reliant on twists and the likes, and he has definitely improved in that regard over time.

I can reread Mistborn and enjoy it, but the other two are definitely rough to get through.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://www.tor.com/2020/09/29/read-rhythm-of-war-by-brandon-sanderson-chapter-thirteen/ :toot:

quote:

Mraize was a dark pillar on the far side, surveying the frosted mountain peaks. Veil didn’t try to sneak up on him; she knew he’d sense her coming. He seemed to be able to do that no matter how little sound she made. It was a trick she’d been trying to replicate.

Interestingly, Coppermind says he has no magical abilities but like how does he not have Breathe / Life Sense :thunk:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
So there are some pretty heavy gestures in that chapter toward the idea that Shallan has another personality, whether its formless or something else, that's unknown to the Three and actually Mraize's spy close to Dalinar: the bits about memory loss being common but her not experiencing that, Mraize's whole overly confident and amused attitude toward her, and the general state of her life seeming balanced and under control when there's obviously a giant-sized shoe waiting to drop.

I can see BS having that be the twist or introduce another character as the spy as the twist (after hinting it's Shallan), but I'm curious to find out either way.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i'm glad to see some clear momentum to the larger goals in the book: shallan needs to go to see the honorspren as a secret mission, kaladin likely needs to go as part of a delegation to convince them to join the war, etc

also: the Ghostbloods goal being figuring out how to sever the Connection from stormlight and then transport it to other worlds, where it can freely be turned into Breaths/etc makes a ton of sense. I'm sure they have other goals, but that's more than lucrative enough to be worth spending a serious amount of time on

Sab669 posted:

Interestingly, Coppermind says he has no magical abilities but like how does he not have Breathe / Life Sense :thunk:

well we don't know what that "chicken" does, do we?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

also: sja-anat being maybe mad that people are being mean to Renarin, and sending her spren to consider bonding but being unwilling to force anything, both seem like pretty positive signs

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

eke out posted:

i'm glad to see some clear momentum to the larger goals in the book: shallan needs to go to see the honorspren as a secret mission, kaladin likely needs to go as part of a delegation to convince them to join the war, etc

also: the Ghostbloods goal being figuring out how to sever the Connection from stormlight and then transport it to other worlds, where it can freely be turned into Breaths/etc makes a ton of sense. I'm sure they have other goals, but that's more than lucrative enough to be worth spending a serious amount of time on

Agreed about some heavy progression in the grand scope of things; particularly the Ghostbloods motivations & goals

And fair enough, I guess we don't know. I just assumed they can't do anything we've already seen from other books/systems :)

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

eke out posted:

I missed that. Nicely caught.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sab669 posted:

And fair enough, I guess we don't know. I just assumed they can't do anything we've already seen from other books/systems :)

Yeah, it depends on how much overlap there is, since we've seen multiple systems do very similar things.

But I certainly wouldn't put it past the spymaster to just be really good at this without any magic, and have the 'chicken' do something totally unexpected. i think we only know like two? powers aviar/birds can have (hide your mind from predators; visions of your dead body that show you fatal threats) so it's a pretty open magic system

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I checked CM after posting and those are the only 2 abilities confirmed.

I suppose you're probably right - he's been doing this his whole life, Shallan only a few years at best. How long has it been since WOK to Present?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

eke out posted:

Its an Aviar from White Sand

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

RC Cola posted:

Aviars are from Sixth of the Dusk. Though Mraize did have some sand in his trophy room Shallan visited in Words of Radiance along with other invested objects.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

RC Cola posted:

:smug: actually they're from sixth of dusk/patji

and yes we know, we just don't really know what aviars can do (with one limited exception -- since only one of the two birds dude has in that short story is even technically an aviar)

edit: damnit i took too long to post the smug correction and got beat

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I did appreciate Shallan letting us all know that she's taken the time to read up on Dissociative Identity Disorder, and that it is unfairly regarded as a dubious diagnosis in this fantasy setting also.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This was pretty good. It absolutely makes sense that they want to be able to transport Stormlight off-world, because it's certainly the easiest investiture to acquire big chunks of.

-Breaths are in very limited supply, getting some often enough touches on religious grounds as well, and it will probably always be more profitable to use non-Nalthian sources of investiture to fuel Awakening than using Nalthian investiture (i.e. Breaths) to fuel non-Nalthian magic systems.

-If you can hack Allomancy, then Preservation will supply you with the investiture to fuel your magic, which seems like the ideal way to commodify investiture. But hacking it is probably very difficult, and it also requires allomancers, i.e. someone with Scadrian ancestors who wins the genetic lottery enough to be born with an allomantic power. It seems much easier to hack Ferruchemy to provide raw investiture, but the output is probably extremely low, as you can only store something in the metalminds that you already possess. And hemalurgy doesn't create investiture at all apparently. So the Metallic Arts are out as a source of investiture. And interestingly enough, allomancy itself probably doesn't really need outside sources of investiture, because you're already covered by big daddy Preservation fueling your magic. While Ferruchemist will appreciate outside investiture a lot. No longer needing to spend several weeks sick just to be able to heal a moderate injury sounds like a great deal.

- Getting Selish investiture is even worse. Only a very small subset of the population has access to the investiture, and they become completely powerless once they leave fairly small geographic regions. And there's no way to transport their investiture. Terrible for a trading economy. But Elantrians would probably really like raw investiture they can use to fuel their AonDor away from Elantris.

- Taldain's investiture is weird. They apparently get all of it from the invested sunlight hitting their planet and accumulating in the sand. I haven't actually read more than the first comic, so I can't comment too much on it.

- Roshar has plenty of "free", frequently recharging investiture floating around, and there are already ways to story and carry around said investiture. If the Ghostbloods can figure out how to stop or minimize Stormlight leakage from the gems, and how to bring the gems to other worlds, and how to let other magic systems use Stormlight, then they're set. And those hurdles are not as difficult to overcome as those of other magic systems, where it's either difficult/impossible right now to store and transport the investiture (mostly Allomancy and AonDor), or you can do those things with the investiture, but the supply is limited (Ferruchemy and Awakening). And even if you could kinda overcome those challenges, like getting a twinborn to just supercharge a ton of metalminds, you would still need to figure out how to let other use that investiture, which is probably a lot harder with ferruchemical qualities (how do you turn "weight" or "health" or "alertnes" into fuel for Awakening for example?) than doing this for Stormlight, you would still have the issue of only having some very few twinborn, vs. a highly invested storm that returns every 40 (I believe?) days. So yeah, of course they would try to commodify Stormlight.

This whole idea is really cool, and if they are successful, it would make it that much more likely to see magic users off-world in other books. Some Elantrian using AonDor on Scadrial? A Nalthian using Awakening on Sel? If they're powered by "unkeyed" Stormlight, a lot is possible.

I really appreciate the chapter, it's a big step up from most of what came before it so far. I also really like that it looks like we will finally get answers to the questions we had since the prologue of book 1, what to Thaikadar and Restares want, and what were they too late to stop Gavilar from doing (beyond forcing a return of the Heralds), and what was up with that black sphere? Mraize already answered parts of that, and I'm super curious how Gavilar got voidlight from Braize!

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 29, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Torrannor posted:

This whole idea is really cool, and if they are successful, it would make it that much more likely to see magic users off-world in other books. Some Elantrian using AonDor on Scadrial? A Nalthian using Awakening on Sel? If they're powered by "unkeyed" Stormlight, a lot is possible.

i think we'll get at least some version of this for the back half of stormlight and it's going to be a ton of fun

brandon, after all, has vaguely promised a lot more cross-magic-system combinations in the future. and we can see the (probably) Scadrians in spaceships trying to steal from Patji at some point in the future in Sixth of Dusk, so we know there's going to be a lot of advancement

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Great chapter. Finally getting some answers even if they aren't the full thing.

I think allomancy powered by Stormlight the obvious way to get to space ships.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

insider posted:

Why, though? I think allomancy benefits the least from using Stormlight. Stormlight is (in theory) an easy to store and transport form of investiture. But allomancy gets powered by Preservation, which has access to basically unlimited amount of investiture in the Spiritual Realm. All you need to access that investiture is some metal, most of which are super abundant on every world in the Cosmere, and bits of which are at least as convenient to take with you as beads with Stormlight, if not more so. Do you think the allomancers themselves will be stronger than they could be by just burning their metal(s)?

Edit: For something else entirely, I just got the feeling that we will probably never see Shallan really "cured" of her multiple personalities/DID. Because Rand al'Thor did achieve full (re)integration with LTT, so Brandon probably doesn't want to retread that ground.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 29, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

insider posted:

with fabrial tech growing, we could see both!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Edit: For something else entirely, I just got the feeling that we will probably never see Shallan really "cured" of her multiple personalities/DID. Because Rand al'Thor did achieve full (re)integration with LTT, so Brandon probably doesn't want to retread that ground.

Yeah I think we'll eventually get Shallan actually at peace with them instead of lying to herself about how everything's fine, but not a magical recovery into just one "normal" person

Sab669 posted:

with fabrial tech growing, we could see both!

oh i almost forgot -- the epigraph about how you have to split spren to make an advanced fabrial, especially the spanreeds and conjoined ones that Navani is using? maybe that's part of why the mysterious stranger is mad about her abusing spren

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Torrannor posted:

Why, though? I think allomancy benefits the least from using Stormlight. Stormlight is (in theory) an easy to store and transport form of investiture. But allomancy gets powered by Preservation, which has access to basically unlimited amount of investiture in the Spiritual Realm. All you need to access that investiture is some metal, most of which are super abundant on every world in the Cosmere, and bits of which are at least as convenient to take with you as beads with Stormlight, if not more so. Do you think the allomancers themselves will be stronger than they could be by just burning their metal(s)?

I always thought the investiture for allomancy was in the metal itself, so for example you'd have to have copper from Scadrial in order for it to work. I don't think the metals from just anywhere would work unless you brought them to the planet. I could be wrong though. There must be a word of Brandon covering that though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

seaborgium posted:

I always thought the investiture for allomancy was in the metal itself, so for example you'd have to have copper from Scadrial in order for it to work. I don't think the metals from just anywhere would work unless you brought them to the planet. I could be wrong though. There must be a word of Brandon covering that though.

Yeah, we know quite a bit more about that. The metals are not invested. The investiture comes purely from the shard Preservation, and Brandon explained it both in WoBs, and the Ars Arcanum. Investiture can be end-positive, where the "mage" draws power from an outside source (i.e. an allomancer from Preservation), end-neutral, where power is neither gained nor lost (i.e. a feruchemist gets as much health out of his metalmind as he previously put in), or end-negative, where power is destroyed (i.e. using hemalurgy, investiture stored in spikes outside the body decays). So allomancers get their power from Preservation, but to access that power, they need a specific key. As long as they are burning the right metals, they have an open connection to Preservation, and can fuel their powers from said connection. There's no direct evidence in the text so far that you can use non-Scadrian metals as keys (and no direct evidence to the contrary, either), but Brandon confirmed in a WoB that you can indeed use Rosharan steel for example if you're a Coinpusher. He even said that you can even use wood that was soulcast into steel.

So to summarize, allomancers can use any metal (that they can burn) to get access to the investiture that fuels their allomancy. Which means that especially the well known mistings of the Final Empire period could find the key to their fuel an basically any world. Even the most primitive societies have access to iron and bronze, and only at their most torn down at the end of the Desolations did the Rosharans lack knowledge of steel. If you're a chromium user on the other hand, you might be out of luck outside of Scadrial (and Taldain probably) to get the metal you need. Unless you can get a Soulcaster to soulcast something into chromium.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

Torrannor posted:

After the latest preview chapter I'm warming up to the idea that "Shallan" isn't the original persona and if they do re-integrate she'll get subsumed back into the traumatized little girl original.

Other miscellaneous thoughts after this week's chapter: I wonder if Mraize's aviar has some kind of seeker-like ability. It's only appeared in text when he sees Shallan, so maybe he's keeping it around to help him see through illusions and detect nearby surgebinding.

Why is Renarin being bullied? Based on his current circumstances I'd have expected that to stop. Is it widely known that he bonded a voidspren? If so you'd think it'd be pretty easy for Odium to hear about it and figure out Sja-anat was betraying him, unless it was already part of his plans.

When Mraize called Iyatil his babsk like Ryan did to Vstim I had assumed it was just a generic word for apprentice, not that he was actually also a merchant. I also got a laugh at him trying to aquire power in the sense of "electrical power" in addition to the orthodox political power.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Donkey posted:

Is it widely known that he bonded a voidspren?

they have mentioned that there are other truthwatchers now, so at least some of those people are sure to know something's off (between knowing what their spren should look like, talking to their spren, and having a power set literally themed around seeing the truth)

eke out fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 30, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Donkey posted:

Why is Renarin being bullied? Based on his current circumstances I'd have expected that to stop. Is it widely known that he bonded a voidspren? If so you'd think it'd be pretty easy for Odium to hear about it and figure out Sja-anat was betraying him, unless it was already part of his plans.

When Mraize called Iyatil his babsk like Ryan did to Vstim I had assumed it was just a generic word for apprentice, not that he was actually also a merchant. I also got a laugh at him trying to aquire power in the sense of "electrical power" in addition to the orthodox political power.

I was confused when they briefly mentioned Renarin because I wasn't sure if I was forgetting stuff that happened in Oathbringer, or if that was just exposition to fill in what happened during the time jump from OB to now :v:

Babsk is the 'master', not apprentice. Vstim is Rysn's babsk; he tells her what to do.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
https://www.tor.com/2020/10/06/read-rhythm-of-war-by-brandon-sanderson-chapter-fourteen/

My theory is Raboniel has access to the magic of Ashyne to be able to do biological warfare.

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 6, 2020

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

RC Cola posted:

https://www.tor.com/2020/10/06/read-rhythm-of-war-by-brandon-sanderson-chapter-fourteen/

My theory is Raboniel has access to the magic of Ashyne to be able to do biological warfare.

so the Fused think the Sibling is a (edit: "essentially a") deadeye -- interesting. it's certainly not what the Stormfather and others seem to think, I wonder which group is wrong here

or, alternatively, maybe the Stormfather is aware that being "dead" is more temporary than we think, since resurrecting deadeyes is obviously going to happen

also lol @ moash being like "Oh, you're making no plans to deal with Kaladin? Well, good luck with that!"

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

also it seems like we now have a pretty good idea of at least the initial outline of the book

- Shallan and Adolin on a mission to Lasting Hope to recruit the honorspren and do whatever the Ghostbloods want
- Dalinar and Jasnah lured away somehow
- Navani and Kaladin are Home Alone at Urithuru, letting them potentially help Venli defect when she shows up as part of the attack, and likely leading to Navani figuring out how to bond the Sibling