Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Aggro posted:

I re-read all 7 (7.5?) Mistborn novels this year while waiting for any of the authors I follow to put out new stuff. They are just as good, if not better, the second time around.

The finale of Hero of Ages is still the best thing Sanderson has ever written, IMO.

Nah. Emperor's Soul of the sanderlanche of way of kings imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

I'm about halfway through Stormlight 4, and this is really becoming a slog. I'll go days without picking it up because I'm just not interested in any of the storylines happening right now. Shallan's dissociative deal and her back-and-forth with Mraize are probably the most interesting, but only vaguely so. :/

I'm thinking of just dropping it for now and switching back to Mistborn to start the second era trilogy.

Just keep going. I personally enjoyed what some other people didn't in that book, but I can see why it is a slog to you/them. The parts you enjoyed from the other books start coming soon.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Torrannor posted:

I'm curious, you started listening to Way of Kings iirc? Are you still listening to it?

I actually haven't been listening to any audiobooks as of late. But I plan on getting back into this week.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

I'm about halfway through Stormlight 4, and this is really becoming a slog. I'll go days without picking it up because I'm just not interested in any of the storylines happening right now. Shallan's dissociative deal and her back-and-forth with Mraize are probably the most interesting, but only vaguely so. :/

I'm thinking of just dropping it for now and switching back to Mistborn to start the second era trilogy.

I had the same issue and taking a break to read something else (not Sanderson) did help me get through it eventually.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I think I read most of ROW as a book-book, and then when it felt like too much of a slog and work was too chaotic I switched over to an audiobook. I did end up re-reading some of the latter-half in the print version later.

The finale is really good, there's some great stuff going on in the latter third of the book.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Got the Mistborn year of Sanderson box, it's the first one with something I'll actually use, Mistborn book ends:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I need to sit down and actually dedicate myself to getting through the first couple hours of RoW. I tried yesterday but was immediately hit with endless Proper Nouns and my eyes instantly glazed over.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’ve been struggling to get through the first wax and Wayne book, I’ll probably try something else after, hope the next ones are better. It’s just been kinda bland.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

I’ve been struggling to get through the first wax and Wayne book, I’ll probably try something else after, hope the next ones are better. It’s just been kinda bland.

For me, I only really liked the third and fourth Wax and Wayne books. It was definitely hard to get through the first two both times I've done so.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

While I enjoyed the first Wax and Wayne book, I think it is important to just take it as a fun little adventure vs an epic cosmere story.

I would feel bad for anyone who jumps immediately into The Alloy of Law after The Hero of Ages. The Alloy of Law, to me, is like going and watching something like a Mission Impossible film. It's a fun time but kinda generic.

Personally, I loving loved Shadows of Self though.

When it comes to Wax & Wayne books, my rating is: The Lost Metal > Shadows of Self > Bands of Mourning > Alloy of Law

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

They definitely get better. I also found it very hard to get into the first book, I ended up putting it down for months after getting like 1/4 through it. Once I got back into it I enjoyed the first book overall, and had a lot of fun with books 2-4. I think the second book is overall the best one (it's got some serious gut punches), overall they are mostly just fun adventure stories - definitely worth reading, but not nearly as memorable as era 1 or the Stormlight series.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

One other thing that got me through the first Wax & Wayne book was that I was working as a driver on a reality show and had a few days where I was needed at in the morning and then 10 hours later, with nothing in between. Got through the first audiobook in two days.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mordiceius posted:

I need to sit down and actually dedicate myself to getting through the first couple hours of RoW. I tried yesterday but was immediately hit with endless Proper Nouns and my eyes instantly glazed over.

You're on Rythm of War already? Thought you hadn't read way of kings yet.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Got the Mistborn year of Sanderson box, it's the first one with something I'll actually use, Mistborn book ends:

Gorgeous Mistborn bookends. Worth the price of the boxes all by themselves, IMO. Box also came with a reversible Soonie Pup!

And the pin was Wax, seen here chilling with Hoid and Sterris from the other boxes. Sterris still retains the Best Pin crown.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

You're on Rythm of War already? Thought you hadn't read way of kings yet.

Err Way of Kings. Yeah.

Typo on my part.

But yeah, I need to commit to just forcing through the first few hours to get hooked and I haven't had the time or patience to do so. Maybe this weekend since it's a long weekend. I found myself exhausted by "here's an event out of context from 5000 years ago. okay now, here's a guy and before you have a chance to get your bearings, we're going to talk about all the family ties and countries he's affiliated with and all that culture."

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mordiceius posted:

Err Way of Kings. Yeah.

Typo on my part.

But yeah, I need to commit to just forcing through the first few hours to get hooked and I haven't had the time or patience to do so. Maybe this weekend since it's a long weekend. I found myself exhausted by "here's an event out of context from 5000 years ago. okay now, here's a guy and before you have a chance to get your bearings, we're going to talk about all the family ties and countries he's affiliated with and all that culture."
Like I said, I hate hate hated TWoK first time I read it, I still dislike it, and yet Stormlight is my favorite series. If you can power through to Words of Radiance, everyone gets their superpowers and the plot actually starts, and then it's good.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Way of kings is tight. I like it. :)

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Err Way of Kings. Yeah.

Typo on my part.

Oh that's the stuff I like. Weird

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

CapnAndy posted:

Like I said, I hate hate hated TWoK first time I read it, I still dislike it, and yet Stormlight is my favorite series. If you can power through to Words of Radiance, everyone gets their superpowers and the plot actually starts, and then it's good.

Thats gotta be sarcasm? Telling people to "power through" 800,000 words and it gets good...

I like The Way of Kings, and I liked Words of Radiance, but I can see how its not for everybody.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

Thats gotta be sarcasm? Telling people to "power through" 800,000 words and it gets good...

I like The Way of Kings, and I liked Words of Radiance, but I can see how its not for everybody.
It's not. TWoK is bad and the next several million words are really good.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Way of Kings has a pre-prologue that's great on a reread, but not so good as the start of the series. And then a proper prologue that's... divisive (I quite like it). And then you start the story proper, where you have to get through quite some exposition to grasp the setting, seeing as how Roshar is pretty unique. Once you get through the first like... sixth (?) of the book, it's quite engaging imho.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Way of Kings has a pre-prologue that's great on a reread, but not so good as the start of the series. And then a proper prologue that's... divisive (I quite like it). And then you start the story proper, where you have to get through quite some exposition to grasp the setting, seeing as how Roshar is pretty unique. Once you get through the first like... sixth (?) of the book, it's quite engaging imho.

Yeah. That's the thing - for the audiobook itself, the pre-prologue is like 15 minutes and then the actual prologue is another 45 minutes. So that's an hour just to get to the "true" start of the story. But then the book will need to re-orient me for that as well.

In comparison to stuff like Mistborn or Warbreaker where we just start moving and then start filling in the flavor later.

Way of Kings sure seems to loving start with a lot of telling and very little showing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
TWoK was better on my 2nd read through because I skipped most of Shallan's chapters and absolutely nothing of value was lost.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I just checked the Coppermind for comparison's sake -

From what I've been told, the very pre-prologue isn't relevant until multiple books later, so let's just ignore that. But then the "actual" prologue has Szeth and Dalanar as significant figures. Neither are seen again in the novel until over 10 chapters in.

With The Final Empire, you get Kelsier POV. You return to Kelsier by chapter 2.

With Warbreaker, you get Vasher POV. You return to him by chapter 5.

This is my own personal hangup, but prologues where "none of this will have even the slightest meaning to you until you're at least half way through the book" drive me crazy. I'm getting a ton of characters and names thrown at me with zero grounding or context, so I'm sure as gently caress not going to remember any of it - and if that's the case, what's the point. These prologues aren't adding to my experience, and if anything, they're actively detracting.

Maybe I should just start a chapter 1 and then go back to the prologues once I'm half way through the book.

God I'm bitchy today.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

I just checked the Coppermind for comparison's sake -

From what I've been told, the very pre-prologue isn't relevant until multiple books later, so let's just ignore that. But then the "actual" prologue has Szeth and Dalanar as significant figures. Neither are seen again in the novel until over 10 chapters in.

With The Final Empire, you get Kelsier POV. You return to Kelsier by chapter 2.

With Warbreaker, you get Vasher POV. You return to him by chapter 5.

This is my own personal hangup, but prologues where "none of this will have even the slightest meaning to you until you're at least half way through the book" drive me crazy. I'm getting a ton of characters and names thrown at me with zero grounding or context, so I'm sure as gently caress not going to remember any of it - and if that's the case, what's the point. These prologues aren't adding to my experience, and if anything, they're actively detracting.

Maybe I should just start a chapter 1 and then go back to the prologues once I'm half way through the book.

God I'm bitchy today.

i don’t think it’s just you. i’ve been annoyed with piranesi and harrow the 9th because both books withhold vital information until very late in the book before everything starts to make sense. it didn’t affect my enjoyment of harrow (of course it was much better on re-read) but it made me furious with piranesi.

And i’m not sure why it’s these sorts of mysteries that annoy the crap out of me but a standard murder mystery doesn’t. It feels like the author gloating over the reader “oh you’ll understand this later. it will be better on re-read” why don’t you explain what’s happening NOW

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Mordiceius posted:

Stormlight was my first "epic" fantasy series and I was insanely confused the first.. oh, 400 pages? But, like any other book, things slowly start to make sense and the lost context you experience earlier in the book will connect into place over time, especially once you get into the Dalinar chapters. Just about any fantasy book I read starts with the "who the hell are these people and all these countries, provinces, families and histories" confusion and clears up after a while. Just takes longer with TWOK because it's so god drat long. Once things click though good god do they click.

I think the ultimate problem is that TWOK being so long means you don't get to specific characters until what feels like way later, but in context of "normal" fantasy books the length is similar, but Stormlight has 3x as many words to sift through. The whole package is absolutely worth the struggle you're currently going through.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 23, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

mewse posted:

i don’t think it’s just you. i’ve been annoyed with piranesi and harrow the 9th because both books withhold vital information until very late in the book before everything starts to make sense. it didn’t affect my enjoyment of harrow (of course it was much better on re-read) but it made me furious with piranesi.

And i’m not sure why it’s these sorts of mysteries that annoy the crap out of me but a standard murder mystery doesn’t. It feels like the author gloating over the reader “oh you’ll understand this later. it will be better on re-read” why don’t you explain what’s happening NOW

When reading a murder mystery, I would expect details to be withheld, but I wouldn't expect a bunch of information just dumped on me without context.

Meanwhile with the Way of Kings prologues, I feel like I need to keep a glossary on hand to understand all the words and names being mentioned. It does nothing to enhance the story and just makes things more confusing. It's often a problem with epic fantasy.

And again, this could just be a me problem.

When a world is significantly different from what I expect, spend some time helping me understand the world itself before immediately launching into characters and relationships.

The Final Empire, in my opinion, is the "perfect" prologue. Plantations and slavery isn't hard to understand. Oh there is black ash falling! That's cool. Oh look, one of those slaves is acting weird. In fact, he just went and killed all the slavers!

You don't need to understand the world at all to be able to follow what is going on in TFE's prologue and the stakes of it.

Meanwhile Way of Kings talks about this big battle that happened? And happens regularly? Eternal torture for this guy that died? Also a bunch of names that I don't know? It's two people just standing and talking about things I have no context for. Why should I care?

Then the prologue starts with Szeth and the first few lines are immediately describing him by describing his relationship to other people - other people that I also have no context for.

I'm going to stop my bitching rant here. I'll get past this part eventually, but I'll just say that it isn't the strongest start imo.

edit: honestly, what I should probably do is go onto coppermind and read the summary of the prologue and then listen to it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

When reading a murder mystery, I would expect details to be withheld, but I wouldn't expect a bunch of information just dumped on me without context.

Meanwhile with the Way of Kings prologues, I feel like I need to keep a glossary on hand to understand all the words and names being mentioned. It does nothing to enhance the story and just makes things more confusing. It's often a problem with epic fantasy.

When a world is significantly different from what I expect, spend some time helping me understand the world itself before immediately launching into characters and relationships.

The Final Empire, in my opinion, is the "perfect" prologue. Plantations and slavery isn't hard to understand. Oh there is black ash falling! That's cool. Oh look, one of those slaves is acting weird. In fact, he just went and killed all the slavers!

You don't need to understand the world at all to be able to follow what is going on in TFE's prologue and the stakes of it.

Meanwhile Way of Kings talks about this big battle that happened? And happens regularly? Eternal torture for this guy that died? Also a bunch of names that I don't know? It's two people just standing and talking about things I have no context for. Why should I care?

Then the prologue starts with Szeth and the first few lines are immediately describing him by describing his relationship to other people - other people that I also have no context for.

I'm going to stop my bitching rant here. I'll get past this part eventually, but I'll just say that it isn't the strongest start imo.

edit: honestly, what I should probably do is go onto coppermind and read the summary of the prologue and then listen to it.

It's not that important to understand the important things that are going on, the big picture is very clear. Don't worry about the small stuff.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Torrannor posted:

It's not that important to understand the important things that are going on, the big picture is very clear. Don't worry about the small stuff.

https://twitter.com/PhilJamesson/status/1491832852694056960

Me starting the Way of Kings.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

I am always down to bitch about TWoK. Always.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

I take it you haven't read through Malazan

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

acumen posted:

I take it you haven't read through Malazan

Malazan was a series that I tried about 15 years ago. Got about 60 pages into the first book. Was really confused. Quit and never went back. I've heard good things about the series as a whole but it's just not written in a way that my adhd brain can process.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the way of kings initial prologue is also just the same conceit as the first prologue of Wheel of Time, i think its brandon wearing his influences on his sleeve

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
TWoK is one of my favorites in the series because it feels so different to the rest. Same as with the Eye of the World.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Continuing my first time reader stuff, The Final Empire, chapters 18-25 (Part 3 of the book)

Vin has gone from being awkward at balls to wondering if some of the nobility are good, actually. That's loving gross. I realize she's got a crush on Elend but she's spent 16 years being a Skaa. It's wild she can look at the rest of them and see redeeming qualities after the life she's lived.

I still don't know what the 9th or 11th metals do, but at least I understand Sazed and the Keepers. A different kind of metal magic, seems like a more patient but also more sustainable form of Allomancy. I'm actually wondering if there's truth to the claim that the Lord Ruler gave those loyal to him Allomancy, and it's just a bastardized version of Feruchemy.

Kelsier is a dick and either needs a hell of a redemption arc or is actually just going to go full Lord Ruler himself, and Vin's more nuanced abilities are going to help her stop him. RIP their army though, I'm expecting a reaction from Lord Ruler to the tune of gratuitous death. And the guy who hired them died, so that paves the way for Kelsier to do whatever the gently caress he wants now, which is probably extremely bad.

And I saw Hoid! I read Elantris first so this is my 2nd time seeing him. He was trying to luck into some Elantrean powers there so I assume he wants to be an Allomancer here. I love that he and Kelsier were both playing each other but were playing entirely different games when doing so.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Mordiceius posted:

Malazan was a series that I tried about 15 years ago. Got about 60 pages into the first book. Was really confused. Quit and never went back. I've heard good things about the series as a whole but it's just not written in a way that my adhd brain can process.

No, it never gets any better. I forced my way through 7 of those books and gave up because it just never made sense.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Not making sense is the point. Historical texts all lie to you. All narrators are biased and unreliable.

I never really understood it but I at least finished the original 10.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

No, it never gets any better. I forced my way through 7 of those books and gave up because it just never made sense.

Oof. Yeah. I read/listen to books to relax and unwind, not to have to try to untangle historical texts and jargon.

I’m happy for the people who enjoy that stuff, but it’s clearly not for me.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Not making sense is the point. Historical texts all lie to you. All narrators are biased and unreliable.

I never really understood it but I at least finished the original 10.

I mean that's a huge part of the Witcher too but you still understand what's happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

pik_d posted:

Continuing my first time reader stuff, The Final Empire, chapters 18-25 (Part 3 of the book)

I love these, keep posting them. I can’t wait for some of the reactions to what is coming.