Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

pik_d posted:

Continuing my first time reader stuff, The Final Empire, chapters 18-25 (Part 3 of the book)

Vin has gone from being awkward at balls to wondering if some of the nobility are good, actually. That's loving gross. I realize she's got a crush on Elend but she's spent 16 years being a Skaa. It's wild she can look at the rest of them and see redeeming qualities after the life she's lived.

I still don't know what the 9th or 11th metals do, but at least I understand Sazed and the Keepers. A different kind of metal magic, seems like a more patient but also more sustainable form of Allomancy. I'm actually wondering if there's truth to the claim that the Lord Ruler gave those loyal to him Allomancy, and it's just a bastardized version of Feruchemy.

Kelsier is a dick and either needs a hell of a redemption arc or is actually just going to go full Lord Ruler himself, and Vin's more nuanced abilities are going to help her stop him. RIP their army though, I'm expecting a reaction from Lord Ruler to the tune of gratuitous death. And the guy who hired them died, so that paves the way for Kelsier to do whatever the gently caress he wants now, which is probably extremely bad.

And I saw Hoid! I read Elantris first so this is my 2nd time seeing him. He was trying to luck into some Elantrean powers there so I assume he wants to be an Allomancer here. I love that he and Kelsier were both playing each other but were playing entirely different games when doing so.

stramit posted:

I love these, keep posting them. I can’t wait for some of the reactions to what is coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

No, it never gets any better. I forced my way through 7 of those books and gave up because it just never made sense.

Someone just needs to post the helpful and definitely not a John Madden-esque image showing how all the Malazan books connect to one another and then surely this GURPS-campaign-turned-book-series will make sense.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

TWoK may be slow, but I liked it more than the first 11 books of WoT. Man those were a chore to get through for an incredible payoff.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

pik_d posted:

Continuing my first time reader stuff, The Final Empire, chapters 18-25 (Part 3 of the book)

Vin has gone from being awkward at balls to wondering if some of the nobility are good, actually. That's loving gross. I realize she's got a crush on Elend but she's spent 16 years being a Skaa. It's wild she can look at the rest of them and see redeeming qualities after the life she's lived.

I still don't know what the 9th or 11th metals do, but at least I understand Sazed and the Keepers. A different kind of metal magic, seems like a more patient but also more sustainable form of Allomancy. I'm actually wondering if there's truth to the claim that the Lord Ruler gave those loyal to him Allomancy, and it's just a bastardized version of Feruchemy.

Kelsier is a dick and either needs a hell of a redemption arc or is actually just going to go full Lord Ruler himself, and Vin's more nuanced abilities are going to help her stop him. RIP their army though, I'm expecting a reaction from Lord Ruler to the tune of gratuitous death. And the guy who hired them died, so that paves the way for Kelsier to do whatever the gently caress he wants now, which is probably extremely bad.

And I saw Hoid! I read Elantris first so this is my 2nd time seeing him. He was trying to luck into some Elantrean powers there so I assume he wants to be an Allomancer here. I love that he and Kelsier were both playing each other but were playing entirely different games when doing so.

I think you're misreading Vin a tad. It's been a while since I last read Mistborn but if I remember right, her reaction at this point re: the nobles is after spending her whole life blindly hating them as a class, she's met one that's actually nice (and yes, she has a major crush on) and it's got her shook because if that noble is a human being, she can't broadly dehumanize them any more.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

TWoK may be slow, but I liked it more than the first 11 books of WoT. Man those were a chore to get through for an incredible payoff.

The first four ruled, though? The doldrums weren't until the middle stretch.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I'd give the first three being better than the rest, but even then I just really don't like Robert Jordan's writing. Fantastic world building, really cool story, never enjoyed the presentation.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
The Final Empire chapters 26-34 (Part 4)

I finally know what the 9th metal is, but it's just gold and it sends you on a self discovery acid trip. I do think it'll eventually be useful for something though. Kelsier has underestimated pretty much everything but iron and steel in terms of the nuance of how to use them so why not this too?

It's also pretty interesting that Vin can detect stuff through copper clouds, it makes me wonder if it's simply that she's better (I don't think so) or that there's another rung on the Misting/Mistborn ladder. Misting/Mistborn/Mistlord?

Some really cool fight scenes in this part as well. Vin took on two Mistborn and some number of Mistings when she killed Shan. She's a boss. Then Kelsier getting some action in destroying the Pits of Hathsin and then killing an Inquisitor before ultimately getting brushed aside by the Lord Ruler.

Which is screaming "fake out" death to me. The Renoux Kandra is involved somehow. Can Kandra's use Allomancy when they absorb Allomancers? :thunk: Their abilities have really not been explored at all, I have no idea how much of someone they need to absorb in order to take on their shape.

I'm also really curious how important Eland is going to be, for a while I thought he'd turn out to be a Mistborn but he very much doesn't seem like one, though maybe he hasn't snapped yet. He's definitely getting in over his head if he really has no Allomancy.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

pik_d posted:

I finally know what the 9th metal is, but it's just gold and it sends you on a self discovery acid trip. I do think it'll eventually be useful for something though. Kelsier has underestimated pretty much everything but iron and steel in terms of the nuance of how to use them so why not this too?

It's also pretty interesting that Vin can detect stuff through copper clouds, it makes me wonder if it's simply that she's better (I don't think so) or that there's another rung on the Misting/Mistborn ladder. Misting/Mistborn/Mistlord?

Some really cool fight scenes in this part as well. Vin took on two Mistborn and some number of Mistings when she killed Shan. She's a boss. Then Kelsier getting some action in destroying the Pits of Hathsin and then killing an Inquisitor before ultimately getting brushed aside by the Lord Ruler.

Which is screaming "fake out" death to me. The Renoux Kandra is involved somehow. Can Kandra's use Allomancy when they absorb Allomancers? :thunk: Their abilities have really not been explored at all, I have no idea how much of someone they need to absorb in order to take on their shape.

I'm also really curious how important Eland is going to be, for a while I thought he'd turn out to be a Mistborn but he very much doesn't seem like one, though maybe he hasn't snapped yet. He's definitely getting in over his head if he really has no Allomancy.

I just want you to know how much I'm loving these.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pik_d posted:

Another great post, with some truly smart insights. And now you're in for a treat, because the famous Sanderlanche at the end of his books, where everything goes crazy and a thousand awesome things happen at once is about to start in a few chapters. Enjoy it!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

pointlessone posted:

I just want you to know how much I'm loving these.

Torrannor posted:

Another great post, with some truly smart insights. And now you're in for a treat, because the famous Sanderlanche at the end of his books, where everything goes crazy and a thousand awesome things happen at once is about to start in a few chapters. Enjoy it!

I was going to read 2 chapters last night, but they were short and there wasn't much left so I finished the book. And then also read The Eleventh Metal.

The Final Empire chapters 35-Epilogue (Part 5)
Some things answered, some new questions asked, very good end of the book though. Looking forward to the next one.

So people gathering in the street just preaching the word of Kelsier. I guess his plan was good, they start praising him but he dies so it doesn't go to his head and he doesn't become a tyrant. Then Vin is like "I can totally take the Lord Ruler this time, I have this mystery metal to help." Absolute lunatic. I'm guessing Kelsier never figured out what the 11th metal is because he always burned it when he was alone, so never saw the alternate versions of people. This makes it an alloy of gold? Which means that the higher metals do have the pairs thing going on, which means Atium might have an alloy that is internal precognition? Oh and by the way there's ANOTHER metal that you can burn that just depleats all your reserves? Is there an alloy of that that can deplete someone elses reserves? I somewhat feel like the answer to that last one is "no" because that would just be a cheat code.

Anyway, I was right about the Kandra being involved in Kelsier's death, it scooped up Kelsier's bones and posed as him to make people think he wasn't dead. Kinda spooky but sure. That does mean that Kelsier isn't coming back, unlike his loving brother?? Who is an Inquisitor but NOT turned? And he killed a bunch of other Inquisitors without them all ganging up on him? Wild.

And Elend shows up again, the idiot. Can we just call him a himbo? Dude's a himbo with book smarts but absolutely clueless when it comes to "should I stick my nose in here". He's lucky his crush is a Mistborn or he'd be dead like three times, at least. It'll be interesting to see how good of a king he is, and if he needs saving in the future books. Glad he got a hug in the end, I was worried about Vin going full Batman and going it alone for a second there.

And the Lord Ruler that we know is Rashek. So that fucker killed the real hero and ended up taking things for himself. I had been reading this kids diary and thinking "wow you grow up to be a dickhead", I'm so sorry dude, you would have done it. So now I wonder if Vin is the new Hero of Ages. She's the Dragon Reborn. She's gonna have to go to the Well of Assention and be the Hero that defeats the Deepness, which, looking at the next two book titles, makes a lot of sense.

I also read the Eleventh Metal, Kelsier's trainer came straight out of the school of hard knocks, and Kelsier had a loving big clue that the Eleventh Metal was external since there were literally people that it was being tested on. What a clown.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

pik_d posted:

I was going to read 2 chapters last night, but they were short and there wasn't much left so I finished the book. And then also read The Eleventh Metal.

The Final Empire chapters 35-Epilogue (Part 5)
Some things answered, some new questions asked, very good end of the book though. Looking forward to the next one.

So people gathering in the street just preaching the word of Kelsier. I guess his plan was good, they start praising him but he dies so it doesn't go to his head and he doesn't become a tyrant. Then Vin is like "I can totally take the Lord Ruler this time, I have this mystery metal to help." Absolute lunatic. I'm guessing Kelsier never figured out what the 11th metal is because he always burned it when he was alone, so never saw the alternate versions of people. This makes it an alloy of gold? Which means that the higher metals do have the pairs thing going on, which means Atium might have an alloy that is internal precognition? Oh and by the way there's ANOTHER metal that you can burn that just depleats all your reserves? Is there an alloy of that that can deplete someone elses reserves? I somewhat feel like the answer to that last one is "no" because that would just be a cheat code.

Anyway, I was right about the Kandra being involved in Kelsier's death, it scooped up Kelsier's bones and posed as him to make people think he wasn't dead. Kinda spooky but sure. That does mean that Kelsier isn't coming back, unlike his loving brother?? Who is an Inquisitor but NOT turned? And he killed a bunch of other Inquisitors without them all ganging up on him? Wild.

And Elend shows up again, the idiot. Can we just call him a himbo? Dude's a himbo with book smarts but absolutely clueless when it comes to "should I stick my nose in here". He's lucky his crush is a Mistborn or he'd be dead like three times, at least. It'll be interesting to see how good of a king he is, and if he needs saving in the future books. Glad he got a hug in the end, I was worried about Vin going full Batman and going it alone for a second there.

And the Lord Ruler that we know is Rashek. So that fucker killed the real hero and ended up taking things for himself. I had been reading this kids diary and thinking "wow you grow up to be a dickhead", I'm so sorry dude, you would have done it. So now I wonder if Vin is the new Hero of Ages. She's the Dragon Reborn. She's gonna have to go to the Well of Assention and be the Hero that defeats the Deepness, which, looking at the next two book titles, makes a lot of sense.

I also read the Eleventh Metal, Kelsier's trainer came straight out of the school of hard knocks, and Kelsier had a loving big clue that the Eleventh Metal was external since there were literally people that it was being tested on. What a clown.

:allears:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, Kelsier's a real piece of work.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It's always fun to read the play-by-play of a person going through these books for the first time.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

pik_d posted:

Oh, this is just priceless.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
As usual for a first time reader, some guesses are good, some are not good, and some are fabulously incorrect. But we’ve all been there, and we are definitely not going to spoil the ride by telling you which guesses fall into which categories!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Rhythm of War was a very OK book. Bit disappointed after the others.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

If you like this type content, where people post their thoughts about their first-time viewing of a beloved work, you should join us in either:

The Babylon 5 Blind Watch Thread, where you should read, react in a non-spoilery way if you've seen the show, or post as much as you like if you're watching it for the first time.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3925635

The main Babylon 5 Thread, where you should post exactly why the newbie got it right/wrong/whatever and how happy that makes you.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785889

Keep it wholesome and come enjoy the best sci-fi show of the 90s with us!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

Keep it wholesome and come enjoy the best sci-fi show of the 90s with us!
Weird, weird way to misspell Deep Space 9

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CapnAndy posted:

No, he spelled Babylon 5 correctly. DS9 is the best Star Trek show for sure, but simply not as strong as the original, that is B5 (which series bible it's creator pitched to Paramount, who didn't take it up, but then by pure coincidence also created a Star Trek show that is extremely similar to B5...).

pik_d posted:

:words:[/spoiler]

It's such a joy to read. You should come back to your posts later, and see how remarkably close you were in some respects, and how far off you were in others. I'm genuinely impressed by some of your theories!

Mr Hootington posted:

Rhythm of War was a very OK book. Bit disappointed after the others.

It suffers from the classic Sanderson problem: It's the setup for the Sanderlanche we'll get in book 5. It's definitely a step down from the heights of the first three books, especially following Oathbringer, which is imho the best Stormlight Archive book so far.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CapnAndy posted:

DS9 is also very good! Come talk to us about it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The Well of Ascension chapters 1-11 (Part 1)

At the very beginning I was thinking that Venture took the royal Atium stash because he would have had access and he couldn't really lose anything after the Pits of Hathsin being destroyed on his watch. Also it makes sense as a way for him to pay that army of his. I still think he's the prime suspect but I don't know for sure if it was him.

The Watcher, who claims to be crazy, who wonders why Vin plays "their" games, sounds kinda like Gemmel to me. They could be a Mistborn from a fallen house who doesn't give a gently caress anymore, but Gemmel seems like a neater tie in.

I'm happy to get more information about Allomancy so soon, the 11th metal gets a name, Aluminum gets named and even gets a sick nuclear alloy in Duralumin. It feels like using that could overwhelm someone using Atium with sheer speed and power. I am also extremely confident that there's an Atium alloy that is something like precognition of oneself, however that works. Maybe you can see if your immediate plan works like "can I make that jump?" or "will I blast a whole through that guy?"

I am extremely not cool with Vin's racism against her kandra, and also having that dog killed, no matter how well it seems to be working. It's been a year, Kelsier literally told OreSeur to eat him, get the gently caress over it, or at least don't take it out on him. If she doesn't win OreSeur over before his contract runs out that'll be terrible for Vin, and she'll have deserved it too. I feel like he should be able to help figure out who the second kandra is, or if not that Vin can do whatever it is Inquisitors do to uncover them.

Sazed and Marsh going off to check out an empty Final Empire stronghold/library is pretty worrying with Marsh's apparent change in mannerisms and everything. It could be that Marsh is really ostracized and is feeling lovely, but I'm guessing that him being an Inquisitor is slowly changing him inside as well as out.

And finally, it looks like the daytime mists, weird mist figure apparitions, and (maybe?) heaver ashfall are related whatever the Lord Ruler was doing for humanity that he mentioned in his death. Vin is gonna have to sort that out over the next two books.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

pik_d posted:

The Well of Ascension chapters 1-11 (Part 1)

At the very beginning I was thinking that Venture took the royal Atium stash because he would have had access and he couldn't really lose anything after the Pits of Hathsin being destroyed on his watch. Also it makes sense as a way for him to pay that army of his. I still think he's the prime suspect but I don't know for sure if it was him.

The Watcher, who claims to be crazy, who wonders why Vin plays "their" games, sounds kinda like Gemmel to me. They could be a Mistborn from a fallen house who doesn't give a gently caress anymore, but Gemmel seems like a neater tie in.

I'm happy to get more information about Allomancy so soon, the 11th metal gets a name, Aluminum gets named and even gets a sick nuclear alloy in Duralumin. It feels like using that could overwhelm someone using Atium with sheer speed and power. I am also extremely confident that there's an Atium alloy that is something like precognition of oneself, however that works. Maybe you can see if your immediate plan works like "can I make that jump?" or "will I blast a whole through that guy?"

I am extremely not cool with Vin's racism against her kandra, and also having that dog killed, no matter how well it seems to be working. It's been a year, Kelsier literally told OreSeur to eat him, get the gently caress over it, or at least don't take it out on him. If she doesn't win OreSeur over before his contract runs out that'll be terrible for Vin, and she'll have deserved it too. I feel like he should be able to help figure out who the second kandra is, or if not that Vin can do whatever it is Inquisitors do to uncover them.

Sazed and Marsh going off to check out an empty Final Empire stronghold/library is pretty worrying with Marsh's apparent change in mannerisms and everything. It could be that Marsh is really ostracized and is feeling lovely, but I'm guessing that him being an Inquisitor is slowly changing him inside as well as out.

And finally, it looks like the daytime mists, weird mist figure apparitions, and (maybe?) heaver ashfall are related whatever the Lord Ruler was doing for humanity that he mentioned in his death. Vin is gonna have to sort that out over the next two books.

Please continue doing this, it's awesome seeing this stuff through fresh eyes again

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The Well of Ascension chapters 12-27 (Part 2)

I'm going to be totally honest, I was enjoying the "steal the world from our god-king" heist much more than this "political:airquote:thriller:airquote:" book.

There's very clearly something going on in the background that resulted in the mists and koloss to start doing more stuff, I really just want to get to that. Sure Elend's dad has an army but it's a normal army, he's just a Tineye, It's hard to take him seriously as a threat after defeating the Lord Ruler even though he is a danger to Elend and Luthadel. I did like how Vin (and Elend) outmaneuvered Straff during their meeting. Now he wants her dead which will probably not end well for him at all.

Zane is gonna have to get taken out soon, he's got a voice he thinks is God and he's got a walk in closet of daddy issues that he wants Vin to fix for him. At least he taught her a new trick with keeping a coin in the mouth.

That said, I am glad that I know what the koloss are after they went unused last book, I like that we're getting more information about the kandra, though I still don't know what they do with the atium that they demand as payment. I'm guessing that the enemy kandra that's spying on them is Demoux since he's an easy one to off without it being a main character and fits with the fact that the spy was trying to gain everyone's trust (I think?).

I've really been hoping that the koloss show up and they end up in a fight with Cett and Straff that wipes all three armies out, but that seems way too easy for our heros. The book is called the Well of Ascension and no one has even thought about going there yet!

I was really hoping to bring this politicking to a close but Elend's getting deposed and the next part is titled "King" so I guess that plot is far from over.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Book 2 is the lowest point in Mistborn/Sanderson all together, it ends well but that whole mid section of pointless politics is the loving worst.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Yeah the transition from kelsier-led heist novel to whatever book 2 is was rough

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

socialsecurity posted:

Book 2 is the lowest point in Mistborn/Sanderson all together, it ends well but that whole mid section of pointless politics is the loving worst.

There's some fun characters, but it could have been 2/3 the length and not really lost anything to the rest of the story. The good news is I think they're only one part away from everything taking off and going batshit for the rest of the series.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Sieges are loving boring. Even the most talented writers would struggle to make "stalemate: the novel" interesting for hundreds of pages.

Zane loving sucks. He definitely feels like what a traditional Mormon would come up with when trying to envision an "edgy bad boy."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pik_d posted:

The Well of Ascension chapters 12-27 (Part 2)

I'm going to be totally honest, I was enjoying the "steal the world from our god-king" heist much more than this "political:airquote:thriller:airquote:" book.

There's very clearly something going on in the background that resulted in the mists and koloss to start doing more stuff, I really just want to get to that. Sure Elend's dad has an army but it's a normal army, he's just a Tineye, It's hard to take him seriously as a threat after defeating the Lord Ruler even though he is a danger to Elend and Luthadel. I did like how Vin (and Elend) outmaneuvered Straff during their meeting. Now he wants her dead which will probably not end well for him at all.

Zane is gonna have to get taken out soon, he's got a voice he thinks is God and he's got a walk in closet of daddy issues that he wants Vin to fix for him. At least he taught her a new trick with keeping a coin in the mouth.

That said, I am glad that I know what the koloss are after they went unused last book, I like that we're getting more information about the kandra, though I still don't know what they do with the atium that they demand as payment. I'm guessing that the enemy kandra that's spying on them is Demoux since he's an easy one to off without it being a main character and fits with the fact that the spy was trying to gain everyone's trust (I think?).

I've really been hoping that the koloss show up and they end up in a fight with Cett and Straff that wipes all three armies out, but that seems way too easy for our heros. The book is called the Well of Ascension and no one has even thought about going there yet!

I was really hoping to bring this politicking to a close but Elend's getting deposed and the next part is titled "King" so I guess that plot is far from over.

The latter like third of Well of Ascension is good again, but this is like the Elayne or Egwene politics slog in WoT, but worse. It does pay off in a very satisfying manner at least.

Once you finish Hero of Ages, I'll look up all your Mistborn posts, because there's a ton to talk about. This post again was just amazing, which you will understand once you look back. Thanks so much for doing this, pik_d.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Got this month's Sanderbox today, it is Sel themed. I got a Soulstamp!

But the highlight is definitely an Elantris-branded bandaid box, full of bandaids. For if you wake up Shaod and need something for the unhealing scrapes.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The Well of Ascension chapters 28-38 (Part 3)

A lot more Politicking here, the entire deposed and lead up to the vote was really tiring to me, even with Cett showing up, though it would have been worse without him. The Koloss showing up and literally nothing happen was also very annoying.

There were good parts though, I liked Vin and OreSeur's conversations, very interesting to find out that the kandra have a religion that the Keepers never found out about in 1000 years. OreSeur also mentioned Ruin and Preservation in one of their conversations, I've already read Elantris and all the Sel stuff in Arcanum Unbound, and those words sound very much like Dominion and Devotion that were the shards in the Sel system. I will note that I don't actually understand what a shard really is, other than that I believe the shards are the "dead Gods" that Hoid mentioned in the end of Elantris. Then at the end of this part, Vin figures out that she can poke kandra with duralumin, and OreSeur compares her to Allomancers of old. I'm curious if duralumin was known about back then, or if they really were stronger.

Zane is at least annoying in a good and interesting way, though he does need to end up dead along with his father. I most like that he and Straff are both pretty much aware of how much their relationship is a giant mess, but a necessary one for now. Zane needs an anchor mentally, while Straff needs the firepower. I do think Zane will snap at some point and kill Straff before he realizes what he's doing.

The theories about the Deepness are starting to make sense, that it's the mists themselves. I'm really looking forward to more Sazed/Tindwyl looking into this, and then including Vin in their research. This will have to be how they decide to go to the Well of Ascension.

I'm still unsure about who the opposing kandra spy is. I had the same thought that it was Demoux, and I'm not convinced he's innocent, but it's very muddy right now. All the Allomancers are cleared, Demoux and Dox have good alibis, which leaves OreSeur which would be heartbreaking given the turnaround he and Vin have had. He keeps claiming his kind are really good at their research but there's only so much that can be done, someone's going to slip up eventually. I am most annoyed that Vin didn't try emotional Allomancy on Demoux or Dox since it doesn't work on kandra (without duralumin). That would have been an easy tell. Riot their emotions a bit and see if they punch a wall.

With the next part being called "Knives" I'm assuming that Zane and Vin will be doing lots of stuff since they're the knives of their respective Ventures. Looking forward to it.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

quote:

I will note that I don't actually understand what a shard really is

I don’t think you’re supposed to at this point, to be honest. You’ve got a bit of an edge having already read other Cosmere stuff, and it shows up in places like this: references and namedrops Sanderson makes that you have the context to say “hey, I recognize that word/concept”.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’ve read Mistborn first trilogy and half of Stormlight Archives. No spoilers, but is there any point at which the connections are made explicit or is it all stuff you would have to read the wiki for?

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
RAFO

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

pik_d posted:

The Well of Ascension chapters 28-38 (Part 3)

I think this shows the weakness of the structure of Well of Ascension.

We all know that his books have the Sanderlanche but when you have plot that has a main focus of "lets sit around and wait" it's... rough.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lol:

> Brandon feels bad for simply stating "No, I won't answer.", so he has the RAFO cards made physically. Instead of saying it, he hands out the cards to the fans, and as such it has become a sort of trophy hunt for them.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Another cool RAFO tidbit, it is something Sanderson does as a tribute to Robert Jordan, who originated its use as a way to frustrate questioning fans.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Grundulum posted:

I don’t think you’re supposed to at this point, to be honest. You’ve got a bit of an edge having already read other Cosmere stuff, and it shows up in places like this: references and namedrops Sanderson makes that you have the context to say “hey, I recognize that word/concept”.

Yeah, I'm doing the novels in publication order but reading the associated stuff slightly out of order, just so I could do all the Elantris stuff all at once. I probably should have just done the two short stories, not the Sel system essay thing but oh well. I've heard that I should keep the bulk of the essays until after reading Stormlight: Rhythm of War, which may actually be a spoiler for the question smackfu asked, or maybe not, but honestly just by knowing about the Cosmere you know there's connections somehow.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

smackfu posted:

I’ve read Mistborn first trilogy and half of Stormlight Archives. No spoilers, but is there any point at which the connections are made explicit or is it all stuff you would have to read the wiki for?

Yes, very much so, it goes from "background hints" to "Characters straight up mentioning other books" very quickly.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

smackfu posted:

Stormlight Archive is the crossover series, and for example any person who has read Warbreaker will spot the crossover in the second SA book. It's impossible to miss, really.

pik_d posted:

Yeah, I'm doing the novels in publication order but reading the associated stuff slightly out of order, just so I could do all the Elantris stuff all at once. I probably should have just done the two short stories, not the Sel system essay thing but oh well. I've heard that I should keep the bulk of the essays until after reading Stormlight: Rhythm of War, which may actually be a spoiler for the question smackfu asked, or maybe not, but honestly just by knowing about the Cosmere you know there's connections somehow.

Which essays? That makes little sense to me, Rhythm of War is the most crossover heavy of all his books, you will profit from having read the smaller stuff.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

Torrannor posted:

Which essays? That makes little sense to me, Rhythm of War is the most crossover heavy of all his books, you will profit from having read the smaller stuff.

They're talking about the planetary background essays in Arcanum Unbound.