Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Firefight is supposed to be later this year, but other than that I don't think anything is in final stages yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shadows of self is 'late this year, early next year, probably' at this point

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
When's the next Rithmatist because I just bought and finished it yesterday on a whim and I want more.

Also since I'm a serious Starcraft player and a programmer, the most interesting bits to me were the images in the chapter breaks, I kept thinking about how to translate the rules into an actual game.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

@BrandSanderson posted:

With Firefight first draft done, Peter is doing a quick pass edit for me. That gives me a few days free time. Time for the Legion sequel.

Never change, Brandon.

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
I just finished Steelheart, is Mitosis worth a read? And how long is it?

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!
It is 6(?) short chapters. It shows a little of what is happening after Steelheart, but I don't think it is necessary. If you can get if really cheap, I say go for it.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
My local library system has Mitosis available as an eBook so you may want to check your library's website to see if they have similar programs.

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009

Strong Mouse posted:

It is 6(?) short chapters. It shows a little of what is happening after Steelheart, but I don't think it is necessary. If you can get if really cheap, I say go for it.

It's only $1.99 on Amazon, so I may try that if this doesn't have it:

Fezz posted:

My local library system has Mitosis available as an eBook so you may want to check your library's website to see if they have similar programs.

I'll check. Hope they have it but my library is generally behind on stuff.

Regarding Steelheart, are we to assume that the Prof is Digzone? And would the Prof be considered a High Epic since he has a power that practically make him unkillable (the regeneration)?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Sudbina posted:

It's only $1.99 on Amazon, so I may try that if this doesn't have it:

I'll check. Hope they have it but my library is generally behind on stuff.

Regarding Steelheart, are we to assume that the Prof is Digzone? And would the Prof be considered a High Epic since he has a power that practically make him unkillable (the regeneration)?

I'm assuming that David would have recognized the Digger's powers in the tensors if that were the case (or, in fact, Steelheart would have). Also regeneration doesn't seem as powerful as near-total invulnerability, because I'm supposing based on limited information that he's not full-on T-1000, though it probably is powerful enough to put him in High Epic category for David.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 4, 2014

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nah, Digzone's controlled little dudes didn't leave piles of metal dust lying around.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

omnibobb posted:

Do we have an eta on any books besides Stormlight Archives 2?

He put up his plan for the next few years awhile back, not sure how accurate it is but he's got his next few dozen books planned out. Here's the post from last July where he goes over what he wants to write next.

e: Regardin the plans for two more Mistborn books,

quote:

The next book, currently titled Shadows of Self, is tentatively set for release in the fall of 2014, with the third novel in the Wax & Wayne series following one year later.
source

Narmi fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 5, 2014

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
When does he sleep? He is ridiculous amazing

Also, I love how Mistborn is supposed to be three sets of trilogies, and then he just starts adding in more books, unrelated from the actual intended story.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

The Glumslinger posted:

When does he sleep? He is ridiculous amazing

Also, I love how Mistborn is supposed to be three sets of trilogies, and then he just starts adding in more books, unrelated from the actual intended story.

And how it's not even his main series. It's a side of the cosmere.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
I didn't realize his novella in Dangerous Women was part of the Cosmere, plus he's got like five more Cosmere series' or standalones coming. I mean, it makes sense as there are still a number of Shards we haven't seen but still :psyduck:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pong Daddy posted:

I didn't realize his novella in Dangerous Women was part of the Cosmere, plus he's got like five more Cosmere series' or standalones coming. I mean, it makes sense as there are still a number of Shards we haven't seen but still :psyduck:

Also one discarded novel is turning into a graphic novel - pretty cool.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

THe Book of Endless Pages would have been an appropiate title. Sadly not my picture.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Feb 6, 2014

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
poo poo a brick, no wonder TOR was saying they could not physically get a printing press that would bind anything bigger!

I mean, you could kill someone with that!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Jesus christ that thing is huge. That's why I use my kindle, because taking that thing anywhere outside my house just seems impractical. Especially considering I plan to read it on an overseas flight.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Dravs posted:

That is exactly how I describe Way of Kings to people. And this is bigger.

:getin:

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Speaking of which, does BranSan ever do the thing where you get a free copy of the eBook if you buy the hardcover? Because I want the physical thing, but I want to read the eBook on the bus.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
He's done it in the past with his novellas but I don't know if he does it with his novels.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He does it for the ones he has the ebook rights for.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Dravs posted:

poo poo a brick, no wonder TOR was saying they could not physically get a printing press that would bind anything bigger!

Too late (via Brandon's twitter):

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Someone with photoshop replace Mjolnir with WoR stat:

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
quick job

treeboy fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 7, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

treeboy posted:

quick job

:allears: "Define worse."

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I wonder what's heavier, that book or my first year physics textbook. The latter is 1300 pages and roughly 10 pounds, but they're pretty thin pages. And that looks thicker.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

treeboy posted:

quick job

I'm on my phone so I can't remember the code stuff but imagine this is any smiley that expresses admiration and perfection

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I hope someone sends that to/tweets that at Sanderson.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Cicero posted:

I hope someone sends that to/tweets that at Sanderson.

i would if i had any desire to ever create a twitter account. I sent it to my friend who did the illustrations for WoK, I'm hoping it'll make its way to Sanderson.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

Weller Book Works is now accepting requests for signed & number copies of Words of Radiance. According to the email I received:

A maximum of two copies may be ordered per customer. The price is $23.19 per copy plus tax and/or shipping if applicable. That's 20% off the cover price of $28.99.
All shipping is via USPS Priority Mail. Because of the large size of Words of Radiance, we cannot securely ship it in a padded envelope, so all books will be shipped in a medium box. Shipping prices are as follows:
US Domestic box - $13.00
Canada Priority Mail box - $ 42.00
All other international Priority Mail box - $62.00
Orders will be purchased with Paypal only. All orders must be placed via e-mail by e-mailing books@wellerbookworks.com (subject line: Words of Radiance orders).
When you order, please let us know how you would like your copy personalized. Tell us "signature only" if you just want it signed and numbered. If you would like it signed to you or to a friend, say, e.g., "Sign it 'to John.'" If you have a PayPal account, please include your PayPal email in your order so that we can invoice you. Please include your shipping address when ordering.
This promotion is limited to 500 copies of Words of Radiance, and all orders must be received and paid for by February 15, 2014.

I've ordered mine. Anyone else going for this?

I've seen a lot of interesting personalizations, having Brandon write a limerick or give a personal permission for a guy's mistborn RPG character to use two metals instead of one.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I really want to, but the Canadian shipping prices scare me off a bit.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

$62 for international shipping? I'll pass on that, for sure.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Hopeford posted:

I really want to, but the Canadian shipping prices scare me off a bit.

Yup. $42 :wtc:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

Peter Ahlstrom

Unfortunately, books are heavy, and heavy things are expensive to ship internationally. The store did two tests where they stuffed a similar-sized book into an envelope (which would have been cheaper to ship), but in both tests the corners of the book were significantly damaged. So, the more expensive box is the only viable option.

They were able to ship Steelheart in an envelope because it's a much smaller book and the padded envelope offered enough protection for a book that size. But that won't fly with Words of Radiance.

The downside of shipping construction materials through the mail.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Tunicate posted:

Yeah I mostly understand why, still sucks though :v:

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Tunicate posted:

and you really don't want to try shipping things as Book Rate. If it survives the trip it's usually in pretty bad shape. (which I have no idea if that is a "thing" for international shipments)

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!
I got my copy of Steelheart from them and the packaging was great. The way I look at it (being a U.S. Person), it's $8 more to get it signed. I'm ok with this.

Thanks by the way, I just shot off an email!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I think they're "out" already anyway. I shot off an e-mail the night of and I still haven't heard back, paypal invoice or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

I can't wait until Hoid and Shallan get together. Good wit and bad wit going head to head will be great.