Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I feel like Sanderson knows he doesn't write budding romance well.

Adolin and Shallan have the excuse that they're both new to it. Navani and Dalinar just skip over a bunch of the early stuff (it's implied that they did all that in the past) and dive right in, also neatly dodging this issue.

And then you have that wonderful interlude where (minor spoilers) that Ardent is reading the Roshar equivalent of a bodice-ripper Harlequin romance. To me this is Sanderson straight up poking fun at himself. "Look guys, I know I can't write romance for poo poo. So I'm gonna write some really lovely romance. Deal with what you got, because here is the alternative."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

I forgot how cringy that entire room scene is. All of her entire being is just...annoying.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah I loved that one. But I can understand how you could lay the criticism that they’re too Mormon for teenagers in a war camp.

Pre-marital sex has all sorts of issues in these type eras, if she got pregnant before the marriage they'd have issues succession wise so them being raised to be very hands off before marriage makes complete since.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I'm still waiting for the bundling board/sack analogue to get whipped out to keep the meteoric rise in awkwardness consistent moving forward.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mplesv9U4g

:pcgaming:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/we-entered-the-world-of-brandon-sanderson-s-stormlight-1823088971

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

What the gently caress? Did they even read the books? That is not how Parshendi are described at all.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

insider posted:

What the gently caress? Did they even read the books? That is not how Parshendi are described at all.

I feel like the carapace is pretty close to warform, but the coloring seems way off.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

I feel like the carapace is pretty close to warform, but the coloring seems way off.

yeah isn't it supposed to be orange?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Wow that looks terrible. The Parshendi in my mind definitely weren't just 'human with rock armor' and having terrible clunky combat with three people on screen is just....what's the point? Model some of the warcamps and let us wander around them and talk to some of the characters from the book. Have some vignettes where we can be a part of some pivotal scenes, even just as an observer or bystander. Getting to watch Adolin and Kaladin's arena fight would be badass, being a nameless guard there as Szeth shows up and fights with Kaladin, stuff like that. Not anemic VR teleporting combat on featureless rock plains, it just seems lazy.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 21, 2018

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Tunicate posted:

yeah isn't it supposed to be orange?

The blood is orange, but the skin always gets described as red, white, and black or some mixture of two or three of those.

It definitely doesn't look like the Parshendi as described in the books though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

seaborgium posted:

The blood is orange, but the skin always gets described as red, white, and black or some mixture of two or three of those.

It definitely doesn't look like the Parshendi as described in the books though.

I meant the carapace growths, not the skin

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

insider posted:

Kaladin's lashing looks more like telekinesis too, which isn't how lashing works since the gameplay is definitely moving things he doesn't touch. That video is probably (hopefully) early footage and that they'll be fixing some things up. The Parshendi look really off though and their skin doesn't seem as marbled as the books describe it. The animation is extremely rough too.

I hope that is an early build because yikes.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That's pretty lovely poo poo and I hope it's still in deep development

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Kaladin's lashing looks more like telekinesis too, which isn't how lashing works since the gameplay is definitely moving things he doesn't touch. That video is probably (hopefully) early footage and that they'll be fixing some things up. The Parshendi look really off though and their skin doesn't seem as marbled as the books describe it. The animation is extremely rough too.

Well between changing the direction of gravity on objects and manipulating atmospheric pressure (adhesion) he could theoretically do something that looks like TK even if it's mechanistically more complicated.

But, wow, that trailer is something special.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Could someone refresh my memory of how (oathbringer) Teft's firemoss addiction bites everyone in the rear end after he sells his Bridge Four jacket ? Or even when it happens

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Sab669 posted:

Could someone refresh my memory of how (oathbringer) Teft's firemoss addiction bites everyone in the rear end after he sells his Bridge Four jacket ? Or even when it happens

Someone uses it to sneak into the Bridge Four barracks while Kaladin is away and starts getting stabby.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Luminaflare posted:

Someone uses it to sneak into the Bridge Four barracks while Kaladin is away and starts getting stabby.

It was extremely unbelievable for me. Bridge Four can't be more than a couple hundred people, Right? They would all know each other instantly.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

BananaNutkins posted:

It was extremely unbelievable for me. Bridge Four can't be more than a couple hundred people, Right? They would all know each other instantly.
I imagine Bridge Four is literally the named people in the book, so two dozen, generously (if they replaced dead/retired members). It is kind of a dumb plot point to have his jacket used as a disguise.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I thought they'd been recruiting heavily for quite some time...?

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

ConfusedUs posted:

I thought they'd been recruiting heavily for quite some time...?

Definitely what I was thinking, plus you have to imagine if they wander in with their head covered it'd be easy to just avoid suspicion so long as they don't talk. Of course, it could also be they have someone with light bending on their side and they looked like someone else.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah they made a big point on how there were only a small number (40ish?) of bridge four left alive, and it had become more an elite fighting force and potential squire recruits and had a whole ton of new people trying to become warriors and glow.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BananaNutkins posted:

also they were swapping around the soulbound weapon, and he managed to literally only kill the one person who it was bound to.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Well, wrt to the lashing, we actually know that touch isn't a universal necessity - recall the lashing that lets him turn himself into a gravity well. We don't know for a fact that touch is a requirement of the other lashings. That may just he how Kaladin does things until he figures out better.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Am I seeing this right that there's pretty much nothing coming out in 2018?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Tahirovic posted:

Am I seeing this right that there's pretty much nothing coming out in 2018?

Nothing Cosmre at least. His new YA series Skyward is gonna come out in November and he has another Legion Novella sometimes this year as well. Hes working on some secret Novella which I assume might make it out this year as well. Next year we should get the last Wax and Wayne Book though.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I hope he takes his time with the next Stormlight book. Oathbringer felt rushed.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

BananaNutkins posted:

I hope he takes his time with the next Stormlight book. Oathbringer felt rushed.

I'm guessing hes going to try to work more time into his schedule for future Stormlight books. Prior to Oathbringer he was trying to write each one in a year, but Oathbringer went slowly and took a lot longer than that, and I think he still felt like it probably could have used more time.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

If I recall, in the State of the Sanderson he said he hopes to have Stormlight 4 & 5 outlined by 2020, so it sounds like he's taking a bit longer.

I assume they won't be as large as OB.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Sab669 posted:

If I recall, in the State of the Sanderson he said he hopes to have Stormlight 4 & 5 outlined by 2020, so it sounds like he's taking a bit longer.

I assume they won't be as large as OB.

He should try to cap himself at 250,000 words or so for quality purposes. I think he does better around that range.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Oathbringer is also the middle book for this sequence, so it's firmly a "set up" book with a bit of payoff. "Rhythm of the Night" or whatever the Venli/Eshonai one is called will start the penultimate resolution, with Stones Unhallowed finishing up the sequence and introducing some new status quo for the SA time skip.

I'd be surprised if the next book matches Oathbringer; probably WoK or WoR level though. Stones Unhallowed will probably bulk up though.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

OAquinas posted:

"Rhythm of the Night"

Now, no matter what the next one is called I'll be disappointed it's not that.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rhythm of the Knight

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BananaNutkins posted:

The core group know each other but Kaladin's in charge of hundreds if not thousands of soldiers beyond the former bridge crews. Most people aren't going to look closely at each other either, they'll see someone in uniform going by that's it.

It really isn't that hard to believe a spy with a proper disguise could slip in somewhere they shouldn't be and strike unexpectedly like that.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
It does sound like Brandon is taking a bit of a breather from Cosmere stuff for most of this year.

quote:

The third Legion story is being published as part of a collection of all three novellas about the character, forming a complete narrative. It should be out August/September or somewhere around then. Skyward is being published by Random House this November sometimes. Expect an official announcement with the cover art to come from the publisher in the next few weeks.

I have the last quarter of this year earmarked to write the final Mistborn (Wax and Wayne) novel, which leaves me around six or seven months to play with, and I’m hoping to finish another book in the Skyward series. However, before I dive into that, there’s a certain novella I need to write. We’re listing that as “Secret Project” and it’s not anything you’re probably guessing. I’ll reveal it when the time is right, but for now, it’s not cosmere, and is not something I’ve talked about before.

I bet his secret project is some sort of Wheel of Time short story.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Subvisual Haze posted:

Nah. WoT is dead and buried now. Zero chance Harriet lets anyone play in the sandbox anymore, outside of maybe a TV series/movie.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Subvisual Haze posted:

I would be so disappointed :v: gave up on that series after Book #4

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

OAquinas posted:

Nah. WoT is dead and buried now. Zero chance Harriet lets anyone play in the sandbox anymore, outside of maybe a TV series/movie.

There's already an ongoing fight regarding WoT TV/Movie rights.

e:

Subvisual Haze posted:

It does sound like Brandon is taking a bit of a breather from Cosmere stuff for most of this year.

It's The Winds of Winter. We aren't getting that book any other way.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
The Brandon Sanderson version of ASoIaF would be hilarious.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

BananaNutkins posted:

It didn't really feel rushed to me... just felt like a middle book in a series and he was struggling with so many plot threads so some plot threads were resolved in very short order (Szeth especially).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Aggro posted:

The Brandon Sanderson version of ASoIaF would be hilarious.

I was at a panel once with him and he mentioned he tried this and the result was awful and he will never show anyone