Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Affi posted:

What is a bendalloy? They never explain I think.

According to that giant chart poster in Sanderson's store, Cadmium and Bendalloy are able to alter the flow of time in a small area around the user. Cadmium makes time slower, Bendalloy speeds it up. These would be "the two unknown metals" mentioned by Sazed in the Hero of Ages epilogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

I think the two unknown metals are chromium and cadmium, since neither of them were known in Sazed's time, and then they each have an alloy, nicrosil and bendalloy. Bendalloy is such a weird name, but at least Sanderson didn't make it up.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Oh right, forgot all about Chromium. And good thing too, because it's possibly the most broken of the metals.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Sanderson just posted this on Twitter:

quote:

Comic-Con and Polaris attendees: pick up one of these in-world newspaper broadsheets from Mistborn: The Alloy of Law. http://t.co/mvzmgpv

It would be nice if they posted a PDF of that on his website at some point, especially if he wrote the broadsheet himself. Neat idea, looks like it would be fun to flip through.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
He usually waits a month or two before posting the text, like he's gonna do with that "Sanderson's Second Law" essay.

e: Oh hey. According to his Twitter he's gonna sell it on his store later on, ala that Allomantic Metals Chart.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 13, 2011

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Yeah, and it looks like it's also going to be divided into four parts and published inside the book itself. Nice having an author that keeps his fans posted on stuff like that.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Goddamn, dude's going to post the entire book on the internet, chapter by chapter.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

A Nice Boy posted:

Goddamn, dude's going to post the entire book on the internet, chapter by chapter.

According to his blog it's actually gonna end up being 1/3 of the entire book. So not the whole thing, but still holy poo poo that's a lot.

But still, it's not like there isn't a precedent for this with Warbreaker. Sanderson is pretty much the most web-friendly author ever (with Ellis and Gaiman tied at a close second? I dunno).

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
Does anyone know if this plot-hole that opened up in Hero of Ages due to information we've gotten since then has been addressed anywhere?

Preservation's message to his creation was the repeated 16s: 16 allomantic metals, 1/16 of the population snaps in the mist. That 1/16 of those had worse snapping symtopms and became atium mistings was a major plot point at the end of the book, and I thought the ratio was because the new mistings were evenly divided among the 16 metals. However, Sanderson has since revealed that atium is not one of the set of 16 standard allomantic metals, but one of the 'god metals' (as we've just been discussing, there's chromium, cadmium, bendalloy, and nicrosil make up the extra four missing from the ones we already knew, minus god metals.)

Maybe it was never stated definitively that the new mistings were evenly divided, and the 1/16 atium mistings were just extra special, rather than a even slice of the misting pie?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Does this really need to be spoilered?

Yeah, it was never stated definitively in the epigraphs/annotations that it was one of the 16 metals, Elend just jumped to that conclusion himself. Hell, even the fact that there were 16 metals was just Yomen extrapolating from known info (and probably substituting Atium and Malatium for one of the missing two pairs). The 1/16th of 1/16th WAS a message from Preservation though, showing that these Mistings were even more special than the rest.

Janac posted:

Why isn't malatium aka the eleventh metal in there?

Just wondering.

Because, IIRC, Sanderson said there were actually multiple potential alloys of Atium and Lerasium, but Malatium (Atium + Gold, fittingly enough) was the only one discovered due to the base metals' rarity.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 14, 2011

Janac
May 12, 2010

404GoonNotFound posted:

that giant chart poster

Why isn't malatium aka the eleventh metal in there?

Just wondering.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So, finally read the newest preview chapter.

quote:

“I’ll bet the captives were all Allomancers, secretly,” Waxillium said. “The thieves had aluminum bullets to deal with Coinshots, Lurchers, and Thugs. And if we were able to catch any of the thieves, I’ll bet good money that we’d find them wearing aluminum linings in their hats to shield their emotions from being Pushed or Pulled on.” That wasn’t uncommon among the city’s elite as well, though the common men couldn’t afford such luxury.

Tinfoil hats to keep them from controlling your brain are literally part of the magic system now :haw:

Also, "the Faceless Immortals, the hands of Harmony." Confirmation that the Kandra are back?

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 14, 2011

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Assuming Harmony is Sazed, I really like how one of the main tenets of his religion is "don't waste time worshipping me."

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Democratic Pirate posted:

Assuming Harmony is Sazed, I really like how one of the main tenets of his religion is "don't waste time worshipping me."

That and what is essentially his bible is the abridged version of all the poo poo in his Metalminds.

Goddamn I should really start editing this in instead of replying so much, starting to get kinda self-conscious here.

e:

Honestly, Lightsong is probably his best attempt at humor.

See Also:

quote:

"I've actually considered expanding the theory. I am now proposing to believe that God—or the universe, or time, or whatever you think controls all of this—is all really just a drunk monkey."

She leaned over, squeezing her arms together, seriously threatening to pop her bosom out the front of her dress. "And, you think my title was chosen by happenstance? Goddess of honesty and interpersonal relations. Seems to fit, wouldn't you say?"

He hesitated. Then he smiled. "My dear, did you just try to prove the existence of God with your cleavage?"

She smiled. "You'd be surprised what a good wriggle of the chest can accomplish."

"Hum. I'd never considered the theological power of your breasts, my dear. If there were a Church devoted to them, perhaps you'd make a theist out of me after all."

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 14, 2011

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here is the Sanderson quote of the day from Warbreaker:

quote:

"You really need to take more of an interest in politics. It can be very diverting. Why, if you only knew the secrets to which I'm privy!"
"My dear Lifeblesser," Lightsong replied, "please trust me when I say that I have no desire to know any secrets which involve you and a privy."

:haw:

I've been re-reading Warbreaker, and I had managed to block this and few other turds from my mind on the first go-around.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 14, 2011

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I just finished the Mistborn trilogy and thoroughly enjoyed it. Currently reading Elantris, then will move onto the Stormlight Archives. :D

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Odette posted:

I just finished the Mistborn trilogy and thoroughly enjoyed it. Currently reading Elantris, then will move onto the Stormlight Archives. :D

I would recommend Warbreaker as well, people tend to feel it's one of his weaker stories but I thoroughly enjoyed it

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

treeboy posted:

I would recommend Warbreaker as well, people tend to feel it's one of his weaker stories but I thoroughly enjoyed it

And it's been free on his site for a long time. Check it out!

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

treeboy posted:

On the other hand, it's almost undeniably his lightest story, making it the perfect palate cleanser after Mistborn and before the sheer :smithicide: that are the Kaladin chapters in WoK.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Re: Kaladin, isn't what his bridgeburners (oh shi..) went through similar to what modern militaries try to do to recruits. Break them down before building them up again. My mind draws parallels to Navy Seals hellweek only its months long and they make you run unarmed towards death.

What i'm trying to say will the Bridgemenburners become some awesome special forces for Dalinar?

ConfusedUs posted:

And it's been free on his site for a long time. Check it out!

:smug: Real fans buy Warbreaker :smug:

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
I bought it twice!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Affi posted:

Re: Kaladin, isn't what his bridgeburners (oh shi..) went through similar to what modern militaries try to do to recruits. Break them down before building them up again. My mind draws parallels to Navy Seals hellweek only its months long and they make you run unarmed towards death.

What i'm trying to say will the Bridgemenburners become some awesome special forces for Dalinar?

It seems like it. They're already going to be the core of his elite guard after his forces got mangled by Sadeas's betrayal.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Affi posted:

:smug: Real fans buy Warbreaker :smug:

Well it's a little different: You can quit hell week, it's just there to weed out the people that aren't dedicated or have the perseverance to complete the intense training. The bridge workers had no choice - they couldn't quit and there was no sort of dedication involved in making them do their job. It was either "carry the bridge and possibly be shot or get back and be whipped to a bloody pulp."

So I don't think it was the bridge carrying that will make them good soldiers so much as their dedication to a person that isn't just going to treat them like expendable commodities.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Nah, they could quit whenever they wanted. Sure it involved jumping off a cliff, but the option was there :haw:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

404GoonNotFound posted:

According to that giant chart poster in Sanderson's store, Cadmium and Bendalloy are able to alter the flow of time in a small area around the user. Cadmium makes time slower, Bendalloy speeds it up. These would be "the two unknown metals" mentioned by Sazed in the Hero of Ages epilogue.

I wonder if there are any bendalloy feruchemists, or if they all died from heavy metal poisoning from being in contact with the stuff all day.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

404GoonNotFound posted:

On the other hand, it's almost undeniably his lightest story, making it the perfect palate cleanser after Mistborn and before the sheer :smithicide: that are the Kaladin chapters in WoK.

The Kaladin chapters were my favorite... :smith:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

He probably ment to say the Kaladin flashback chapters. They didn't bother me that much, but some thought they were too many and they were too lengthy.

mcable
Apr 21, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/kCXRcxe.jpg
I took it to mean that Kaladin's chapters are heavy because of all the poo poo he goes through.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

mcable posted:

I took it to mean that Kaladin's chapters are heavy because of all the poo poo he goes through.

Exactly. He's being shat upon all the time. Want to keep your men alive? gently caress you, we will kill them all.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Allow of Law book tour dates:

Tor.com posted:

Tuesday, November 8
12:00 AM (Midnight)
BYU Bookstore
Provo, UT

Wednesday, November 9
7:00 PM
Mysterious Galaxy Books
San Diego, CA

Thursday, November 10
Barnes & Noble
Huntington Beach, CA

Friday, November 11
University Book Store
Seattle, WA

Saturday, November 12
Vancouver, BC
(TBA)

Monday, November 14
Borders
Houston, TX

Due to circumstances surrounding the current Borders bankruptcy, this event is currently in question. We’ll update the listing as soon as we have some more info.

Tuesday, November 15
Joseph-Beth Booksellers
Lexington, KY

Wednesday, November 16
Barnes & Noble
Brooklyn, NY (Park Slope)

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/07/tor-books-announces-brandon-sanderson-tour-for-new-mistborn-novel-the-alloy-of-law

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
drat, only one anywhere near me got cancelled.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Sanderson always skips Houston, and the one time he decides to make it out here it's cancelled?

gently caress. :smith:

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

He probably ment to say the Kaladin flashback chapters. They didn't bother me that much, but some thought they were too many and they were too lengthy.

I absolutely loved every single Kaladin chapter, honestly. Having seen what he has gone through, and how he slowly starts to realize what he is becoming and how he utilizes stormlight, is basically kept me reading. I want to know when he's going to realize how much power he actually has and who will be his jedi master.

It took me the whole book to get there, but I wan to know what happens with Shallan, as well.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:siren: Download a copy of the Elendel Daily today! :siren:

Requires tor.com registration

Elendel Daily posted:

Mistress Halex, Allomancer,
has opened a new Soothing
Parlor. Within its relaxing confines,
one can find relief from
stress, anxiety, and concern—
leaving with a light heart and
a soaring mind. Our reporter
visits the parlor to give a detailed
report of what goes on.
A luxurious massage, sweet
scents, and a Soother on duty
to give a unique “Emotional
Massage” leave you feeling
as good on the inside as you
do on the outside. Read the
report on the back, column
seven..

quote:

Ironeyes Sightings
on the Rise!
Reports are flooding the
city: sightings of Ironeyes
himself. When Death stalks
the streets of Elendel, how
can you know that you are
safe? Printed here are sixteen
tips proven to keep Ironeyes
from your home. Wards are
included to make him pass
over you while sleeping, and
to frighten him if the worst
happens and you encounter
him in person. Exclusive
report on the back, fourth
column. Don’t be one of the
few left without proper protection!
Read on, or else!

:stare:

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 21, 2011

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I loving love Marsh, I hope he shows up in every Mistborn book.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Affi posted:

I loving love Marsh, I hope he shows up in every Mistborn book.

Have you just read the first book?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

pakman posted:

Have you just read the first book?

Have you not read the last book? The world would be doomed by Vin's idiocy if he wasn't there.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

Have you not read the last book? The world would be doomed by Vin's idiocy if he wasn't there.

Yes, I have read the all the currently published Mistborn books. I was trying to get a feel for where Affi was in the series.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I like how they give sixteen tips for how to keep him away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

pakman posted:

Yes, I have read the all the currently published Mistborn books. I was trying to get a feel for where Affi was in the series.

I've read it all and Marsh is still alive so..?