Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

That's how I felt, and that's how the entire rest of the series is. At no point will there ever be any reader-friendly exposition. I kept thinking it would eventually click if I kept going, which is why I managed to read 9 books of a series and do not have the ability to explain anything about the plot. I can remember a few tidbits, like "there are raptors with sword arms", but I don't remember why or how that was important to the plot.

Like, I can get not wanting to have exposition on things, whatever, but if you are gonna do that I at least need a glossary to have some idea what in the hell they are talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've heard great stuff about Malazan but there's not a chance in hell I'd be able to keep that straight if there's no exposition whatsoever. Sounds like a cool concept though; just not for me.

I'm sure this will get explained in Steelheart, but if the factory keeps all of your wages until 18 how did he spend a decade paying and gathering information for about all these Epics.

Knife of Dreams, about 30% through, not much to report on there.

Has this thread talked about Ready Player One? I've been re-watching Futurama and I got to the "'What If' machine" episode where Fry wonders what if life were more like a video game. It's basically a better version of RPO :v:

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Sab669 posted:

Has this thread talked about Ready Player One? I've been re-watching Futurama and I got to the "'What If' machine" episode where Fry wonders what if life were more like a video game. It's basically a better version of RPO :v:

If you're thinking about reading RPO, why not listen to 372 Pages We'll Never Get Back instead. I haven't read RPO but I can almost guarantee this podcast about it is far more entertaining.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

No, I did read it - I just wasn't sure if any of you goony bastards had discussed it, since this thread is often used for Not Sanderson Fantasy too.

It was entertaining but I wouldn't call it good. The literary equivalent of candy. I also saw the movie which I thought was better, solely because you don't have read pages of lists of references. All the references are generally in the background of a shot.

Edit: the "Stormlight 4 & 5 Outlining" tracker went from 25 -> 40%! ...Or at least it did according to his Facebook but the website still shows 25% for me?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Sab669 posted:

I'm sure this will get explained in Steelheart, but if the factory keeps all of your wages until 18 how did he spend a decade paying and gathering information for about all these Epics.

It's addressed a little bit, like he catches all the gossip and trade with other kids and so on. He also spent the entire chunk of his independent adult times in full spy mode. Maybe a little thin of an explanation but it's there.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just finished Winter's Heart. Follows the template of the last 3-4 books of:
- Nothing
- Aes Sedai stuff being boring
- Nothing
- Maybe something, but not much
- Nothing
- Nothing
- Something

It was alright. I guess it was better than the previous couple books by a bit due to the "something" / Seanchan stuff in the middle. I suppose the gholam stuff was interesting at least.

Looking forward to things to finally happen!

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Just finished Winter's Heart. Follows the template of the last 3-4 books of:
- Nothing
- Nothing
- Maybe something, but not much
- Nothing
- Nothing
- Something

It was alright. I guess it was better than the previous couple books by a bit due to the "something" / Seanchan stuff in the middle. I suppose the gholam stuff was interesting at least.

Looking forward to things to finally happen!
You've got an entire book to go before things happen. A lot of book 10 runs parallel to book 9 chronologically, just told from different POVs. 8, 9, 10 are the "slog". But hey, at least books 11-14 are already out and you can just power through 8-10 and then not have to wait 2 years for the next book to come out.

Didn't you like The bonding of Rand to Elayne, Min, Aviendha? or The Cleansing of Saidin, or Mats abduction of Tuon?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Sab669 posted:

Edit: the "Stormlight 4 & 5 Outlining" tracker went from 25 -> 40%! ...Or at least it did according to his Facebook but the website still shows 25% for me?

Confirmed! Website tracker is at 40% for me. Man, that is good progress.

On another note, I have been rereading Skyward and I have to honestly say, I really like it. I don't know if it's because I'm a girl and I find Spensa very relatable and similar to myself at that age, and thus her character growth is very satisfying for me, or some other reason.

I am sure enjoying it way more than I enjoyed The Reckoners. Or maybe I just find David really annoying?

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

th3t00t posted:

Didn't you like The bonding of Rand to Elayne, Min, Aviendha? or The Cleansing of Saidin, or Mats abduction of Tuon?

The problem is that you can basically just read this spoiler and then skip the books, because that's a summary of everything that happens in them.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

th3t00t posted:

You've got an entire book to go before things happen. A lot of book 10 runs parallel to book 9 chronologically, just told from different POVs. 8, 9, 10 are the "slog". But hey, at least books 11-14 are already out and you can just power through 8-10 and then not have to wait 2 years for the next book to come out.

Oh great, so like GOT books 4/5. :sigh:

And yeah, I grouped those last few items in the “something.” Don’t get me wrong, the end of the book was good, I just wish the first 95% of the last 4 books wasn’t mostly boring filler. Everyone keeps saying to just read the chapter summaries and I’m sure I won’t miss much by doing so, but I’m already invested and determined to slog through. I can’t even imagine having to wait a year or two for the next book if I were reading these as they were being written.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Leng posted:

You're right, it's good progress. But iirc, outlining is the least time consuming step. Then comes actually writing the book, and then three editing phases, I think. So we still have a long way to go.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I dunno why but the First-Sister ritual thing is one of the creepiest WoT moments I can remember, really wonder why he had to put that in.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Because it involves a kind of spanking, I guess?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Leng posted:

On another note, I have been rereading Skyward and I have to honestly say, I really like it. I don't know if it's because I'm a girl and I find Spensa very relatable and similar to myself at that age, and thus her character growth is very satisfying for me, or some other reason.

I am sure enjoying it way more than I enjoyed The Reckoners. Or maybe I just find David really annoying?

I never really understood this whole notion of, "The protagonist is the same gender as I am, therefore more relatable" that seems to be more and more popular in today's world. I wouldn't have found Skyward or Mistborn better if the main character was male :shrug:

I'm only on Chapter 11 of The Reckoners, David reminds me a little bit of Wade from Ready Player One. To be fair I didn't love Skyward out of the gate, but this hasn't thrilled me with its character(s) either. But by the end of Skyward I was really pleased with it except for 1 minor plot detail, so I'm optimistic The Reckoners will get better :)

th3t00t posted:

11 isn't terrible but it feels like a little bit of a slog so far, too. There's been a few interesting chapters, which I guess is more than I can say about the past few books by this point through them. As far as your spoilered statement goes:

1. This would be way cooler if being bonded meant anything to me other than 'they have a sense of awareness to one another mentally'. Like being a Warder hasn't resulted in anyone doing anything super cool so who cares.
2. This was super cool when I read it and then it basically has barely come up since then.
3. Not especially. And as I continue to read I find Tuon tremendously annoying.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 23, 2019

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Sab669 posted:

I never really understood this whole notion of, "The protagonist is the same gender as I am, therefore more relatable" that seems to be more and more popular in today's world. I wouldn't have found Skyward or Mistborn better if the main character was male :shrug:

This is not a new thing and you don't notice it because most protagonist are male. If everyone like you was shown to be a 2d character that exists to have babies or die to motivate the main character you'd feel differently.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tahirovic posted:

I dunno why but the First-Sister ritual thing is one of the creepiest WoT moments I can remember, really wonder why he had to put that in.

tbf that was kinda hot

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

socialsecurity posted:

This is not a new thing and you don't notice it because most protagonist are male. If everyone like you was shown to be a 2d character that exists to have babies or die to motivate the main character you'd feel differently.

This. It was so refreshing to get a young adult female protagonist with a strong character growth arc and identity which does not revolve around a romantic relationship. Sure there are hints in text that Jorgen is going to be a love interest in future books in addition to a Word of Brandon that originally that's where he intended to go but Spensa just wasn't having any of it and I am glad that he went with what felt true to the character as opposed to shoehorning something in. The best example was when Kimmalyn, FM and Hurl sneak Spensa into their quarters for the night. Kimmalyn says something like, "oh they think we're sick so we won't be expected to do PT or other training, we can talk all night!" And Spensa sits there, thinking to herself that she doesn't know what girls normally talk about, so she asks, "....like about guys?" And the other girls reply, "scud, no, we're going to talk flight strategies!"

When my daughter gets older, Skyward would definitely be something that I'd put on her reading list, both because I think she'd enjoy it and also because the female characters are real. That is something I definitely appreciate about how Sanderson's writing has evolved. Also:

tbf that was kinda hot

This kind of reaction. I still don't see what the narrative reasons are for that arrangement, other than fan service. I generally dislike most of the female characters in WoT, especially any time Jordan remotely tries to set up a "strong" female character, he immediately then has to make them also simultaneously arrogant, nagging and/or find sexual enjoyment in private humiliation with often blurred boundaries around whether or not it's consensual, because you know, secretly every strong woman just wants a man to be in charge even if she's saying no a lot. I do not know how his wife was able to also to be his editor, but hey, I guess she didn't find it offensive/annoying.

Torrannor posted:

You're right, it's good progress. But iirc, outlining is the least time consuming step. Then comes actually writing the book, and then three editing phases, I think. So we still have a long way to go.

It's the least time consuming but also the most important, at least if you're an outliner like Sanderson. I am also an outliner and I find it very hard to write quickly if I haven't bedded down where I am going. Once the outline is locked down and I know where I need to get to, the actual writing comes much easier. I suspect it's going quickly because he already had an old outline for Stormlight 4 and 5, and just needs to tie it together with what he moved around for Stormlight 3.

Edit: Also I just noticed that a Starsight second draft progress bar has popped up at 5%!

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Oh great, so like GOT books 4/5. :sigh:

And yeah, I grouped those last few items in the “something.” Don’t get me wrong, the end of the book was good, I just wish the first 95% of the last 4 books wasn’t mostly boring filler. Everyone keeps saying to just read the chapter summaries and I’m sure I won’t miss much by doing so, but I’m already invested and determined to slog through. I can’t even imagine having to wait a year or two for the next book if I were reading these as they were being written.

Yep, just like Got 4/5. Books 8, 9, 10 set up the dominoes and in 11 they start to get knocked down. But unlike GOT, this series actually has an ending. We can only hope that ASOIF 6 starts to knock down all those dominoes set up in 4 and 5(just kidding, its never coming out).

I've read WOT a number of times and besides 8/9/10 I can't seem to stop myself from reading too much. Like I'll tell myself I'm going to read for an hour before bed and suddenly its 3:00AM and I still don't want to stop reading. It's easy to stop after an hour during 8/9/10.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
https://www.tor.com/2019/01/23/the-wheel-of-time-tv-series-adaptation-production-fall-2019/

quote:

The Wheel of Time TV Series to Start Production in Fall 2019

The Wheel of Time, Amazon Studios’ forthcoming television adaptation of Robert Jordan’s epic fantasy series, will go into production starting in September 2019, according to the trade publication Production Weekly. Wheel of Time fan site The Daily Trolloc acquired a sample issue of the weekly publication from December 20, 2018, which lists the series among over a hundred other projects currently in development. Another notable detail is the location: the series will shoot at least in part in Prague, Czech Republic.

The listing (above) also includes the official series description, first shared when Amazon Studios ordered the series in late 2018:

quote:

The fantasy epic is set in a sprawling, epic world where magic exists, but only women can use it. The story follows Moiraine, a member of the shadowy and influential all-female organization called the Aes Sedai, as she embarks on a dangerous, world-spanning journey with five young men and women. Moiraine believes that one of them might be the reincarnation of an incredibly powerful individual, whom prophecies say will either save humanity or destroy it. The series draws on numerous elements of European and Asian culture and philosophy, most notably the cyclical nature of time found in Buddhism and Hinduism.

Producers include Rick Selvage and Larry Mondragon from Red Eagle Entertainment; Ted Field and Mike Weber from Radar Pictures; Darren Lemke; and Harriet McDougal, Jordan’s editor and wife. Rafe Judkins serves as executive producer and showrunner.

So it seems as if there really will be a WoT series. Interesting that the focus seems to be on Moiraine somewhat? I'm guessing that's just marketing thing, can't spoil who the Dragon Reborn is in the first episode. Moiraine as main viewpoint character obviously won't work, for several reasons. Including that the party gets split up at for a long stretch of the very first book.

Still, I'm looking forward to this. How many episodes will they do per book? How many GoT episode were made for every ASOIAF book?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Torrannor posted:

Still, I'm looking forward to this. How many episodes will they do per book? How many GoT episode were made for every ASOIAF book?

Later seasons got fuzzy, but the first few seasons were pretty good at going 10 episodes per book.

The chart on this page has a really nice breakdown of which episodes corresponded to which chapters: http://joeltronics.github.io/got-book-show/bookshow.html

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Maybe I should hold judgement until I finish the series, but I suspect I will enjoy the TV show far more than the books since they're going to carve a lot of fat out.

Either way, I'm glad that HBO's success with GoT might usher in a new age of high-budget high fantasy programs. I look forward to getting bored of high fantasy when it becomes the new fad like zombies :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Books 8-10: 2 episodes.

But seriously, this will be awesome to see on TV and I can't wait. I've been trying to get my 2 older kids to read Eye of the World. Maybe this will motivate them since they love hating movies that were made from books.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Given that you and I seem to generally be on the same page regarding the series, I'm surprised you're encouraging anyone to give it a shot. Have they already burned through everything Sanderson?

edit: oh wait are you punishing them for something? :p

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 24, 2019

mewse
May 2, 2006

wizzardstaff posted:

Later seasons got fuzzy, but the first few seasons were pretty good at going 10 episodes per book.

The chart on this page has a really nice breakdown of which episodes corresponded to which chapters: http://joeltronics.github.io/got-book-show/bookshow.html

That chart is super cool, you can actually see the show trying to stretch out the chapters from storm of swords

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sab669 posted:

Maybe I should hold judgement until I finish the series, but I suspect I will enjoy the TV show far more than the books since they're going to carve a lot of fat out.

Either way, I'm glad that HBO's success with GoT might usher in a new age of high-budget high fantasy programs. I look forward to getting bored of high fantasy when it becomes the new fad like zombies :v:

yeah i know Sanderson has said a few times that the chances of himself getting stuff greenlit basically turn on whether Wheel of Time and Kingkiller manage to be profitable, since they're the first big projects hoping to capitalize on GOT

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Given that you and I seem to generally be on the same page regarding the series, I'm surprised you're encouraging anyone to give it a shot. Have they already burned through everything Sanderson?

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good story overall, but with major pacing issues. I've been describing the series to my kids as I read it, and I mentioned that there's a few books that are "mostly talking" and my 11yo daughter said "that's cool, I like a lot of talking!" So who knows, maybe she'll enjoy the slog. My 13yo son read the Prologue of EOTW and was like "dude I have no idea what's going on," so I had to tell him that yeah I had no idea either when I first read it, and once you get into the actual chapters/books, it will make more sense.

They've read nothing else by Sanderson.

wizzardstaff posted:

This is pretty cool. I think the one thing that annoyed me the most about the timeline of events from the books was the death of Balon Greyjoy, especially after the show showed the 3 blood leeches for 3 kings, and the third didn't die for another 3 seasons.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

eke out posted:

yeah i know Sanderson has said a few times that the chances of himself getting stuff greenlit basically turn on whether Wheel of Time and Kingkiller manage to be profitable, since they're the first big projects hoping to capitalize on GOT

I mean, he's already optioned the Cosmere to that Chinese company... DMG Entertainment or something? They seemed pretty invested in trying to get stuff going.

Who is working on Kingkiller? They'll have to do something like HBO where Rothfuss will just have to tell them the ending and they make up how Kvothe gets there.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sab669 posted:

I mean, he's already optioned the Cosmere to that Chinese company... DMG Entertainment or something? They seemed pretty invested in trying to get stuff going.

Who is working on Kingkiller? They'll have to do something like HBO where Rothfuss will just have to tell them the ending and they make up how Kvothe gets there.

That comment was in his recent roundup about all the different properties of his in varying stages of production - none are anywhere close to the point where they're definitely getting made, just a lot of things in varying stages of options, screenplays being written, etc. So the success of another big fantasy series would go a long way to take things from "a company owns the rights" to "this is actually being made"

Showtime's doing kingkiller prequel show, apparently, and other people are supposed to be making movies of the books. But I think the TV series is actually in progress and the movies are more theoretical

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh, yea just because they have the rights doesn't mean it's a sure thing. But they sure seem to be trying to make it happen

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good story overall, but with major pacing issues. I've been describing the series to my kids as I read it, and I mentioned that there's a few books that are "mostly talking" and my 11yo daughter said "that's cool, I like a lot of talking!" So who knows, maybe she'll enjoy the slog. My 13yo son read the Prologue of EOTW and was like "dude I have no idea what's going on," so I had to tell him that yeah I had no idea either when I first read it, and once you get into the actual chapters/books, it will make more sense.

They've read nothing else by Sanderson.

This is pretty cool. I think the one thing that annoyed me the most about the timeline of events from the books was the death of Balon Greyjoy, especially after the show showed the 3 blood leeches for 3 kings, and the third didn't die for another 3 seasons.

Having a skeptical kid start with the Prologue of Book 1 is kind of a dirty trick because its entire premise is to be a weird confusing flashback that only makes incrementally more sense over the course of five hundred thousand subsequent pages.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Same thing with Stormlight Archive, right? What the heralds are talking about is confusing and nonsensical as gently caress without context.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea preludes never make sense

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Preludes are world building narrative scope teasers and never fully make sense until you go back and do a reread.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Honestly I thought the prologue to EotW was one of the best I'd ever read.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Just a friendly reminder over the excitement of seeing Stormlight 4 progress, The Lost Metal is supposed to be released this year. I can't wait!

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Did you miss the State of the Sanderson? The Lost Metal is delayed, will probably end up getting written when he needs a break from Stormlight. That means probably a publication date next year or the year after instead, assuming he gets to it. Starsight (Skyward 2) will come out late this year though!

brandonsanderson posted:

My big failure in 2018 was not getting to Wax and Wayne Four. But all is not lost! I am going to do whatever I can to squeeze this in next year. I’m feeling I might need a break in the middle of Stormlight Four, as I sometimes do. If so, I might squeeze this in there. But it will depend on a many factors. So, we’ll have to take a wait-and-see attitude.

I’m going to try to hold myself back from doing any other side projects, like Children of the Nameless or The Original from this year, until Wax and Wayne is finished. Book Four will be the conclusion of their story, and the wrap-up of era two of Mistborn. (And I have big things planned for Era Three, which I am planning to write between Stormlight Five and Stormlight Six.)

Status: Pushed off for now, but to be written very soon. No release date yet.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Just gonna squuueeeeze this 500+ page novel in there. Take an international flight or two, piece of cake.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
He probably has the bones all laid out, and its fun to write for him (as evidenced from its ballooning from a one-off to a quadrilogy by its own allure)...so yeah, I can buy it.

Unless that was just a "WTF Sanderson Output" comment, in which case...yeah.

It's nice to follow a writer who actually treats writing as his job.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Leng posted:

Did you miss the State of the Sanderson? The Lost Metal is delayed, will probably end up getting written when he needs a break from Stormlight. That means probably a publication date next year or the year after instead, assuming he gets to it. Starsight (Skyward 2) will come out late this year though!

Oooh :(

I will be honest, I'd rather read The Lost Metal than Stormlight 4. But oh well, it's Sanderson's decision which books he writes first.

Is there any news on the potential title of the next Stormlight book? Book 5 will be Stones Unhallowed, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
I read that he's playing around with that Stones Unhallowed name because of its similarity to the 100% written Rothfuss book. That said, I hope the 5th book has an empire strikes back style plot with a major loss for the protagonists and much death.