Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

Thanks for the advice, I’ll definitely do warbreaker next if it enhances the following-the-big-picture experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
It's by no means crucial but there are several references and a few characters that make appearances and them some fairly important stuff by the third and fourth books

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Barreft posted:

Most of the Navani and Venli stuff could've been easily condensed and given more time for Adolin just to name one.

e: Kaladin and Shallan too. Actually most of the book felt like the same stuff over and over.

The beginning was great though

I just finished it and had some similar feelings about Venli though I enjoyed a lot of Navani but there was a part that drug on. I understand why the Venli chapters were there but I don’t think the book would have lost much with significantly less of her. The Eshonai chapters provide more than enough characterization of Venli. And the Fused characters in Venli’s chapters are given plenty of characterization elsewhere.

I liked and hated the Kaladin chapters this book. On one side, you keenly understand Kaladin’s mental illness and it’s well written. My wife suffers from PTSD from childhood trauma so it’s always good when media represents the condition well. On the hand, I just got very tired of how dark it made the book. It was well written but it colored the whole book for me to be so depressing at times that I needed to take several breaks from reading.

Part 3 and 4 were just really rough to get through between Kaladin’s depression and all the Venli/Navani chapters. I really wanted to get back to Adolin and Shalan or even Dalinar. There were some really good highs to the 3 and 4 that I really enjoyed but they were few and far between.

I may have felt different if I read instead of listen to the audiobook. This was the first audiobook of this length that I’ve listen to. For Part 1 and 2, I was very engaged in it but the dragging story in 3 and 4 combined with the audio book just really brought it down.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I actually just happened to get bored of podcasts and audiobooks today and instead listen to some Youtube book reviews of Rhythm of War and I think I'm never going to listen to Youtube book reviews again. I tried three separate channels and they were all run by complete lunatics who shat on Adolin and his story while talking about how emotional they got over way less interesting arcs like Shallan's.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Venli does a good job at making Shallan not the worst character in the series.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
But that’s Lift’s job? I guess Lift does an amazing job making Venli seem tolerable and interesting so it works out.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Captain Monkey posted:

But that’s Lift’s job? I guess Lift does an amazing job making Venli seem tolerable and interesting so it works out.

This ain't it, chief

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Captain Monkey posted:

Found our very own old man tight butt.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Found the anime watchers.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Is Lift like an anime character? My experience ends with Pokemon, but to me show sounds like someone out of YA book, which isn't great either.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Is Lift like an anime character? My experience ends with Pokemon, but to me show sounds like someone out of YA book, which isn't great either.

everything in stormlight is like an anime.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
brando sando is the most anime-rear end fantasy author there is

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

scary ghost dog posted:

Will Wight would like a word (haven't actually read them yet but everyone says Cradle is very shonen)

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Cradle is more visibly anime, but I feel Sando has the melodrama and monologues down better. Wight likes snarky, rapid-fire lines and humor, and it doesn't feel very anime to me.

scary ghost dog posted:

I mean his dialogue ain't the best but it's not anime-tier bad

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Cicero posted:

Cradle is more visibly anime, but I feel Sando has the melodrama and monologues down better. Wight likes snarky, rapid-fire lines and humor, and it doesn't feel very anime to me.

I mean his dialogue ain't the best but it's not anime-tier bad

its not about the dialogue. the rigid magic systems are anime. the nahel bond is anime. the shardblades are anime. the killing-and-becoming-god is anime. nightblood is anime. szeth is anime. kaladin? anime. taravangian? anime. worldhopping? anime. everything in stormlight is anime as gently caress

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The word you're looking for is fantasy. It's only anime if you're already a weeb :colbert:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sab669 posted:

The word you're looking for is fantasy. It's only anime if you're already a weeb :colbert:

fantasy is even less specific than anime

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

One is a genre the other is an art style / medium.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I haven’t read any Stormlight yet but a few pages back someone said “Spren are anime sweatdrops” and while I don’t know what that means, it seemed to rock the world of some people.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sab669 posted:

One is a genre the other is an art style.

theyre both genres

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How is it anything more than an art style? There's nothing stopping Studio Ghibli or whoever from making a totally historically accurate show about WW2, the fall of Rome, or any other nonfiction story.

It doesn't have to explicitly be dudes flying through the air fighting with magical powers.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Sab669 posted:

How is it anything more than an art style?
This is a bit like saying "what does it mean to be American?" just refers to the flag on your passport, ignoring the culture that goes along with that. Because much like anime, any particular American may go contrary to the tropes: maybe they hate pickups, despise capitalism, and have never touched a gun in their life. But that doesn't mean those things aren't part of American culture.

There are patterns and shared things within the world of anime, even if not every single anime goes along with every one.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sab669 posted:

How is it anything more than an art style? There's nothing stopping Studio Ghibli or whoever from making a totally historically accurate show about WW2, the fall of Rome, or any other nonfiction story.

It doesn't have to explicitly be dudes flying through the air fighting with magical powers.

well, for one, anime has a wide variety of art styles. jojo’s bizarre adventure looks completely different from one piece, for instance.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cicero posted:

This is a bit like saying "what does it mean to be American?" just refers to the flag on your passport, ignoring the culture that goes along with that. Because much like anime, any particular American may go contrary to the tropes: maybe they hate pickups, despise capitalism, and have never touched a gun in their life. But that doesn't mean those things aren't part of American culture.

There are patterns and shared things within the world of anime, even if not every single anime goes along with every one.

I feel like you're arguing for my point more than against it. Yea different studios have different art styles, but they're still all quite similar in the umbrella of anime. There's no question the shared things is the overarching art themes, not any shared fantasy tropes.

scary ghost dog posted:

well, for one, anime has a wide variety of art styles. jojo’s bizarre adventure looks completely different from one piece, for instance.

I've drawn the parallel before; this is like telling people who don't like metal that death metal and doom metal are ~completely different~. If you're not into metal in the first place... No, it's pretty loving similar. It's a bunch of distorted guitars and angry drumming. If I google image search the two, yea, they are different. But I see a whole lot more similarities than I do differences.

Either way this is really off topic at this point.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 18, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Yeah, she’s both the ‘prepubescent girl who is secretly a 500 year old witch that can’t grow up’ and also the ‘wowwww I’m so wacky!! *farts her way across the room as a sweatdrop appears on the guy next to her’s face*’ type. She just doesn’t fit the tone of the books in any way, and they’re already pretty anime. She’s the Jar Jar Binks of the books.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sab669 posted:

I feel like you're arguing for my point more than against it. Yea different studios have different art styles, but they're still all quite similar in the umbrella of anime. There's no question the shared things is the overarching art themes, not any shared fantasy tropes.

I've drawn the parallel before; this is like telling people who don't like metal that death metal and doom metal are ~completely different~. If you're not into metal in the first place... No, it's pretty loving similar. It's a bunch of distorted guitars and angry drumming. If I google image search the two, yea, they are different. But I see a whole lot more similarities than I do differences.

Either way this is really off topic at this point.

youre just a hater

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I've consumed a few works of fiction and Stormlight is definitely fiction as gently caress.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

I’m only getting towards the end of way of kings now but yeah it’s super anime. Shardblades and shardplate especially feel like something straight out of a jrpg

Arc 2 Mistborn’s fight scenes also feel pulled straight out of an anime with the power combo stuff. Wax even gets a shounen pep talk at the end of Alloy of Law

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah, so about all those Surgebindings and Allomancy… they’re pretty cool, yeah?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

scary ghost dog posted:

Yeah Jojo actually looks good while the character design for One Piece (and Fairy Tai to some degree) looks awful.

I want to see a Stormlight anime done in the Jojo art style. Radiants are clearly Stand users anyways. :colbert:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

I haven’t read any Stormlight yet but a few pages back someone said “Spren are anime sweatdrops” and while I don’t know what that means, it seemed to rock the world of some people.

Most anime uses cheap mass-produced animation, and rather than struggle to properly convey emotion through facial expression there are standard symbols that appear on their heads to indicate what a character is feeling.

A sweat drop is "embarrassed", a snot bubble is "bored/asleep", a little rain cloud is "sad/depressed", three-pointed star or steam clouds is "furious", etc.

Specific spren appearing based on emotions is anime as gently caress.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

DarkHorse posted:

Most anime uses cheap mass-produced animation, and rather than struggle to properly convey emotion through facial expression there are standard symbols that appear on their heads to indicate what a character is feeling.

A sweat drop is "embarrassed", a snot bubble is "bored/asleep", a little rain cloud is "sad/depressed", three-pointed star or steam clouds is "furious", etc.

Specific spren appearing based on emotions is anime as gently caress.

I don't mean that. I know about anime sweatdrops. I mean, I haven't read Stormlight so I don't know what spren are. lol

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

I don't mean that. I know about anime sweatdrops. I mean, I haven't read Stormlight so I don't know what spren are. lol

Oh whoops lol. I forgot you haven't got to Stormlight archive yet

There's a lot more about it I'll let you discover, but spren are just natural phenomena on Roshar that appear around specific feelings or events, each a unique shape and color drawn to a specific thing. Flame spren around fire, shame spren, logic spren, pain spren, life, rot, anger, etc etc. Theyre generally weird looking (one is a candle with an eyeball above it) but paid no more attention than we would flies drawn to a picnic because they show up lots of places.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I didn't get much feeling of anime in Stormlight. I mean comics have people flying and poo poo all over the place.

Szeth though. Szeth is 100% anime.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Barreft posted:

I didn't get much feeling of anime in Stormlight. I mean comics have people flying and poo poo all over the place.

Szeth though. Szeth is 100% anime.

Szeth-son-son-Vallano, Truthless of Shinovar, wore white on the day he was to be an anime

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It’s even more funny because the prevailing theory is Szeth is the only one who looks white.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Captain Monkey posted:

It’s even more funny because the prevailing theory is Szeth is the only one who looks white.

It's because he's Shin they are the white people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

according to the way of kings kickstarter playing cards I just got in the other day, it's really just szeth and shallan, with a nod to adolin (and probably renarin) which makes sense because his mother is from nowhere near alethkar.