Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

I think he’s ruling out From Software and Epic. My guess is a middle-ish tier RPG dev like Obsidian or inXile. I could see Bioware or Bethesda too, but they’ve got to finish their already announced stuff before working on something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
An apple arcade game called Kolossus bowling.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Double Fine, for proper storytelling

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Lightsong explores his prophetic dreams in this new surreal third person action game by Remedy

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My guess was Forspoken, since they're working with 'a fantasy author' and have advertised that the magic system has 'wheel of time' vibes
https://screenrant.com/forspoken-magic-tantas-wheel-time-aes-sedai/, but Brandon said on reddit it isn't that one so :shrug:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Arkane :colbert:

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Holy poo poo I would legit die if it's loving Arkane but I would guess an Eidos studio?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I'd love for him to do an arkane collab, even tho i dont think it is

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm sure it's not them. But Dishonored feels so ripe adapting one of Sanderson's magic systems.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
Finished Evershore and OMG Detritus is a Death Star, or actually better than a Death Star since it's an actual planet

I did have some quibbles:

Jorgen got the hang of his cytonic powers real fast. A bit too fast for me.

Similar to FM, his character's voice feels a little off to me, compared to the Jorgen we know in Skyward and also the Jorgen we see in the few POV chapters in Starsight. I don't know whether it's because the prose wasn't written by Brandon or whether it's because Spensa's voice is just so unique that this kinda pales in comparison.

The Jorgen/FM relationship is a little, I don't know. FM already felt off to me from Sunreach and I think this made it worse. I'm kind of disappointed that we didn't get some Jorgen/Arturo/Nedd moments, which is what I honestly expected in a Jorgen POV. Instead of getting an inside view into their friendship, Arturo and Nedd just remained as the comic relief and that sucked, especially since we've seen from Spensa's POV that both of them have more depth to their characters.

T-Stall and Catnip I literally don't even know what they're there for. Comic relief spot is already filled by Arturo and Nedd. We meet Sentry once at the beginning of Starsight and she's barely a character in all 3 novellas here.

All in all, I did enjoy the book but not as much as I usually enjoy a Sanderson book, and I think it comes down to Janci not being quite as good with handling the characters. So many of them noticeably feel like they're extras that exist to fill out the world (e.g. oh here's a scene with the full flight, time to insert an obligatory made up saying from the Saint from Quirk and have Nedd say something obviously dumb then have Arturo say something about Nedd being dumb, etc) instead of the characters actually just being themselves.

I usually don't get the same sense when I read a Sanderson work, even when it's a similar length. He's so careful about keeping to his philosophy of every character being the protagonist in their own story that it generally doesn't happen.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So randomly in the RPG thread we started talking about ASOIAF. The last two big modern Fantasy series I've read are ASOIAF and Sanderson's stuff and one reason I prefer Sanderson is his treatment of religion and faith.

Just wondering if anyone else felt similar?

Going from how insignificant religion is in ASOIAF to the pride of place it's given in every Sanderson book I've read has been very cool. Any story that really wants to tackle the micro of individual lives or the macro of all of human society has to give serious thought to religion. I love seeing how much our heroes have to struggle through all this in Mistborn or TSA, through crises of faith and doubt.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
I grew up Mormon and went from that to rejecting any form of theism in a very short time. I did the whole missionary thing and went to BYU. Coming out of the closet was coupled with rejecting the religion vehemently.

Now that I've had more time since then, I really appreciate the way Sanderson treats religion in his work. It feels like he's trying his best to separate himself from the religion, at least as much as you in that situation.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

It's still my pet theory that he's a closet atheist, but that he values the impact religion has had on his life (and obviously, those around him). You could easily read his works in any direction on that topic, but in my opinion his theological arguments in the various books, especially from Jasnah, are way more convincing towards atheism than theism. Not to mention the central theme of... the entire cosmere, is that god is flawed, and is also not really god. Of course, being a christian-turned-atheist that's going to be my natural reading of it.

Still, I really really like the way he portrays religion. It's extremely balanced and thoughtful, where most authors paint with a really bold brush of religion good or religion bad, he very carefully acknowledges the positive and negative impacts it has on people. And how that impact changes based on the type of person, and the place they are in their life.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Taffer posted:

It's still my pet theory that he's a closet atheist, but that he values the impact religion has had on his life (and obviously, those around him). You could easily read his works in any direction on that topic, but in my opinion his theological arguments in the various books, especially from Jasnah, are way more convincing towards atheism than theism. Not to mention the central theme of... the entire cosmere, is that god is flawed, and is also not really god. Of course, being a christian-turned-atheist that's going to be my natural reading of it.

Still, I really really like the way he portrays religion. It's extremely balanced and thoughtful, where most authors paint with a really bold brush of religion good or religion bad, he very carefully acknowledges the positive and negative impacts it has on people. And how that impact changes based on the type of person, and the place they are in their life.

If I'm not mistaken which i most likely am, Mormonism has an implicit inclusion of demiurges, what with the especially devout getting to create their own planet and ruling as deities (as I think Jesus is supposed to be for Earth) so it's not too far off from doctrine.

However Sanderson is far more accepting and inclusive in ways contrary to church leadership, what with atheists, criticism of religion, homosexuality, cultural diversity, neurodivergence, chemical addiction, extramarital sex, etc all being part of some of his protagonists' character.

There was a time where I worried about his writing given how prudish and perfect his early characters were, but he's steadily and diligently worked to be more inclusive and sensitive to issues. Plus Hrathen is basically the apotheosis of someone wrestling with their faith, and he's there from the beginning so those roots run deep. I'm willing to chalk it up to "write what you know" and him starting from a place of goody-goody whitebread mormon and growing from there, rather than any deliberate choice to that effect.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

I did the whole missionary thing and went to BYU.
Samesies!

DarkHorse posted:

If I'm not mistaken which i most likely am, Mormonism has an implicit inclusion of demiurges, what with the especially devout getting to create their own planet and ruling as deities (as I think Jesus is supposed to be for Earth) so it's not too far off from doctrine.
My understanding was that it'd be more like your own universe, where you'd be "Heavenly Father", just as our God was himself once a man. The cycle continues forever etc.

Sanderson is very obviously a liberal mormon in terms of willingness to tolerate and explore other viewpoints, though to me Sazed felt much more like a doubting mormon's thoughts than Hrathen.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Dalinar is a chosen one, given the word of god in book form directly, and leads his tribe on a journey to their mythical promised land. He’s basically Joseph Smith

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lawnie posted:

Dalinar is a chosen one, given the word of god in book form directly, and leads his tribe on a journey to their mythical promised land. He’s basically Joseph Smith

if you think dalinar was ever given the word of any kind of capital-G God in book form you may have missed a great deal of plot

also what tribe is he leading to what promised land

in summation: what

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I always assumed Sazed was his spiritual self-insert. Highly educated religious person with lots of doubts etc.

At least externally his worldview seems pure NPR listening reddit browsing shitlib. Hard to say exactly what his true beliefs are. If he did have secret reactionary views it's probably smart to keep those hidden and not be like Orson Scott Card.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sazed was based off the guy with all the collected religious symbols in The Mummy

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Subvisual Haze posted:

At least externally his worldview seems pure NPR listening reddit browsing shitlib. Hard to say exactly what his true beliefs are. If he did have secret reactionary views it's probably smart to keep those hidden and not be like Orson Scott Card.
I get this impression too. He's a businessperson in the business of selling fantasy novels, and has a lot of people around him to hit the Diversity Equity Inclusion®™ quota that he thinks ought to be in his books, out of a concern for his brand more than a concern for artistry or social commentary.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Infinite Karma posted:

I get this impression too. He's a businessperson in the business of selling fantasy novels, and has a lot of people around him to hit the Diversity Equity Inclusion®™ quota that he thinks ought to be in his books, out of a concern for his brand more than a concern for artistry or social commentary.

He's talked often on this subject and it feels like the exact opposite what are you basing this on?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

he seems like a person with pretty run of the mill american slightly-left-of-center politics that's trying to be inclusive so he's therefore an npr totebag shitlib fulfilling a diversity quota

no one can have sincere beliefs or generally be trying to do their best, he must instead have gotten some memo about how he's required to introduce asexual characters from the diversity czars at tor books or whatever

eke out fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 8, 2022

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sharing a forum with cspam is so tedious at times

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Lawnie posted:

What? It sounds like you don't know the story of Dalinar or Joseph Smith or both.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

NikkolasKing posted:

So randomly in the RPG thread we started talking about ASOIAF. The last two big modern Fantasy series I've read are ASOIAF and Sanderson's stuff and one reason I prefer Sanderson is his treatment of religion and faith.

Just wondering if anyone else felt similar?

Going from how insignificant religion is in ASOIAF to the pride of place it's given in every Sanderson book I've read has been very cool. Any story that really wants to tackle the micro of individual lives or the macro of all of human society has to give serious thought to religion. I love seeing how much our heroes have to struggle through all this in Mistborn or TSA, through crises of faith and doubt.

George writes ASOIAF's religion from the perspective of a man who rejected and questioned his faith very early on in his life and incorporates his feelings on the power of religion into ASOIAF's narrative. The three religions of Ice and Fire are basically analogues of Catholicism, Zoroastrianism, and various Paganist religions with the occasional pre-Catholic Christian sects thrown in for flavor. The only one of the belief systems that exists on Westeros as an organized church that we see is the Faith of the Seven, his take on Catholicism, and what we see of The Faith is an entity that seems to exist mainly to maintain its own existence. The Faith is more noticeably active in his lorebook, Fire & Blood, but for The Faith of the Seven, the Will of God tends to exist when The Faith needs it to, usually when it feels threatened by another political entity like any Westerosi Lordship or even the maesters.

Individual characters all seem to have different feelings about religion in their day-to-day lives. Certain people like Catelyn are devout Seven worshippers, while most other characters seem to be fairly moderate in their observance, while even (apparently) atheist characters still bow and kneel and pray when they feel it's socially expected of them to do so. Old Gods worshippers seem to act like Pagan believers in that they're expected to act with an awareness of their Gods, but without a centralized church don't feel the social responsibility that Seven worshippers do. Lord of Light worshippers I can't comment on because the religion only recently arrived on Westeros from Fantasy Chernobyl, and its followers consist of a drunk priest, a possible charlatan, Sam Tarly's aunt, and a bunch of Stannis' edge-screen bannermen.

As for the Gods themselves, there's no real proof of their existence except as an explanation for magic. The Old Gods may just be a way to explain the weirwoods, while the Seven may accidentally be worshipping The White Walkers, while The Lord of Light might just be a result of someone seeing so much magic and thinking "okay, it's caused by a God." Generally, when it comes to the origins of its faiths, Planetos' religions were created as a way of trying to explain the inexplicable (which is one of the things I think he was trying to say with his "Ice and Fire is science fiction" remark).

I've only read the Stormlight books, so I don't want to pretend I can analyze Brandon, but for him he seems like a believer who has internal dialogues with himself over how he compromises his faith when it comes into contest with his ideals. Stormlight feels like he's trying to touch on some of the same things that George is vis-a-vis creation myths but that Brandon is more trying to work out how he feels about his faith as he's writing it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

if you think dalinar was ever given the word of any kind of capital-G God in book form you may have missed a great deal of plot

also what tribe is he leading to what promised land

in summation: what

Well I never did say capital-G god which I would have if I meant it. The guy has seemingly mystical visions of the past, and based on them leads the alethi, who if I remember correctly follow a religion sometimes considered strange to their geographic contemporaries, to urithiru, a place supposedly central to their ability to survive impending apocalypse. At least through the first couple of novels the plot as revealed through Dalinar’s POV chapters seemed to share some similarities to me.

Stories don’t have to have literal 1:1 analogues to read them as interacting with each other. In fact, subverting expectations established through references to other texts is a perfectly common writing device and mode of rhetorical analysis, and it’s patently absurd not to expect a practicing Mormon to be influenced by his own holy books. You don’t have to agree with my interpretation but I also wasn’t exactly trying to speak literally, but I probably didn’t convey that very well in my post.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 9, 2022

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Socially he expresses all the views that would be appropriate for someone who teaches a college course and is trying to market his products to the widest audience possible.

His economic views are interesting though. There's a running theme through a lot of his books that poor people angry at their social betters are presented in a pretty unflattering light. The masses in Luthadel are incapable of democratically choosing leaders for themselves necessitating Elend to rule them as an Emperor. The proles in Urteau seeking revenge on the nobility who until recently enslaved them are just dupes being used by The Citizen and Ruin. Kaladin can only advance in power by letting go of his hatred of the lighteyes and Moash is damned by holding onto that same resentment.

In conclusion, Brandon Sanderson almost certainly has a "In This House We Believe:" sign on his lawn. And that's good, actually.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lawnie posted:

Well I never did say capital-G god which I would have if I meant it. The guy has seemingly mystical visions of the past, and based on them leads the alethi, who if I remember correctly follow a religion sometimes considered strange to their geographic contemporaries, to urithiru, a place supposedly central to their ability to survive impending apocalypse. At least through the first couple of novels the plot as revealed through Dalinar’s POV chapters seemed to share some similarities to me.

Stories don’t have to have literal 1:1 analogues to read them as interacting with each other. In fact, subverting expectations established through references to other texts is a perfectly common writing device and mode of rhetorical analysis, and it’s patently absurd not to expect a practicing Mormon to be influenced by his own holy books. You don’t have to agree with my interpretation but I also wasn’t exactly trying to speak literally, but I probably didn’t convey that very well in my post.

your post was that he was "given the word of god in book form directly, and leads his tribe on a journey to their mythical promised land" and you have already dramatically retreated from that bad take and are trying to pretend you didn't say those things lol

dalinar has visions that're set up by Just Some Guy Who Had Power that literally prove his society's god isn't god and his nation falls and he manages to bring them to a place where they can hold out despite being extremely literally an apostate with people only following him out of extreme necessity and preexisting state power. his 'religion' is an unformed feeling on faith alone that there must be some higher power out there, he rejects the atheism that he has intellectually learned but has literally nothing to base it on, and he also might quite directly be wrong insofar as if he thinks Adonalsium is The Real God that is probably not going to be the actual truth when we eventually learn more

also there's a pretty good chance he's being set up to be a major bad guy. he's Joseph Smith insofar as any religious person leading a nation-state is Joseph Smith, so he's also David and Moses too

eke out fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 9, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

thinking about this more, i think the actual interesting thing about Dalinar re: Sanderson's religion is not some joseph smith comparison but that it's a character working through what it means to have faith in some kind of higher power with literally zero orthodoxy and only basically a secular humanist code of ethics via the knights radiant

he's more like a mirror of Sazed in that way: fundamentally a believer in something that doesn't know what that thing is, instead of a guy knows all the religions and wants to believe but doesn't know how

eke out fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 9, 2022

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

your post was that he was "given the word of god in book form directly, and leads his tribe on a journey to their mythical promised land" and you have already dramatically retreated from that bad take and are trying to pretend you didn't say those things lol

dalinar has visions that're set up by Just Some Guy Who Had Power that literally prove his society's god isn't god and his nation falls and he manages to bring them to a place where they can hold out despite being extremely literally an apostate with people only following him out of extreme necessity and preexisting state power. his 'religion' is an unformed feeling on faith alone that there must be some higher power out there, he rejects the atheism that he has intellectually learned but has literally nothing to base it on, and he also might quite directly be wrong insofar as if he thinks Adonalsium is The Real God that is probably not going to be the actual truth when we eventually learn more

also there's a pretty good chance he's being set up to be a major bad guy

anyways you're right, he's Joseph Smith insofar as any religious person leading a nation-state is Joseph Smith. he's also David and Moses too I reckon

Half of your middle paragraph there are bog-standard critiques of organized religion, and yes, Dalinar does turn out to be horribly, tragically wrong in thinking that he’s receiving divine missives directly! What might the author be saying about the nature of self-professed prophets??

Yeah, when someone writes a fictitious story about a religious person leading a nation state out of persecution or to a promised land, there is necessarily a rhetorical relationship between that character and Moses! This time I am being literal: the Old Testament and the Torah are the most widely read texts in the history of humanity and are thus hugely influential. The works of Shakespeare are similar in influence if not as dramatic and specifically limited to English, for the most part. But if you’re reading a story written in English in the last 300 years about two young lovers kept apart by politics, possibly ending in tragedy, it’s probably worth considering that the author has read and been influenced by Romeo and Juliet.

I’ll admit that I posted a lazy, unsubstantiated hot take in my first post but I stand by my interpretation that Dalinar sees himself as a prophet and it’s worth considering how his story might illuminate the author’s feelings towards prophets in their own religion. Feel free to disagree but I’m not gonna post here again probably because I didn’t learn anything from this conversation

Edit:

I take back what I said about not learning anything

eke out posted:

thinking about this more, i think the actual interesting thing about Dalinar re: Sanderson's religion is not some joseph smith comparison but that it's a character working through what it means to have faith in some kind of higher power with literally zero orthodoxy and only basically a secular humanist code of ethics via the knights radiant

he's more like a mirror of Sazed in that way: fundamentally a believer in something that doesn't know what that thing is, instead of a guy knows all the religions and wants to believe but doesn't know how

Thanks this at least gives me credit for being literate.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 9, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Lawnie posted:

yes, Dalinar does turn out to be horribly, tragically wrong in thinking that he’s receiving divine missives directly! What might the author be saying about the nature of self-professed prophets??

okay great so dalinar is a negative commentary about people like joseph smith? feels pretty different than the initial take, if you think this is sanderson indirectly criticizing the core figure in his religion. unfortunately still doesn't hold up well due to literally nothing else being at all like joseph smith except the 'leading a nation' and 'religious in some way' parts

Lawnie posted:

I’ll admit that I posted a lazy, unsubstantiated hot take in my first post . . . I’m not gonna post here again probably because I didn’t learn anything from this conversation

lol okay, feels like there might be a correlation here

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jan 9, 2022

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

okay great so dalinar is a negative commentary about people like joseph smith? feels pretty different than the initial take, if you think this is sanderson indirectly criticizing the core figure in his religion. unfortunately still doesn't hold up well due to literally nothing else being at all like joseph smith except the 'leading a nation' and 'religious in some way' parts

lol okay, feels like there might be a correlation here

I think the themes of imperialism explored in Wit’s story of the walled town and racism throughout the series can be seen as piece and part of the conversation between Dalinar’s story and Mormonism. The alethi are at least initially interested only in subjugating or ethnically cleansing their dark-skinned enemies who turn out to be the true natives of the continent and predate the lighter-skinned people of Roshar. If there’s anything Mormons have historically clung to and only recently officially changed that a modern progressive man ought to wholly reject it’s the idea that black and brown people are less than whites (not welcome in the Mormon priesthood). Dalinar explicitly humanizes and normalizes a racial minority as part of his tribe, embodying a progression and outright rejection of the dominant ideals of his culture. This is what I mean when I say that just because they aren’t exactly similar doesn’t mean that there isn’t meaning in the differences, or that those differences invalidate any rhetorical interpretation of the similarities.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dalinar's never shown any regret for killing the Listeners, though. He occasionally was worried that killing them was no longer pragmatic, but that was about it.

Rlain gets basically no respect from anyone, up to and including Dalinar learning Rlain isn't the last survivor of his race, then never telling him.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

Dalinar's never shown any regret for killing the Listeners, though. He occasionally was worried that killing them was no longer pragmatic, but that was about it.

Rlain gets basically no respect from anyone, up to and including Dalinar learning Rlain isn't the last survivor of his race, then never telling him.

I feel like he demonstrates some regret for the things he did in general under the influence of the thrill, but you’re right that he’s never shown remorse specifically for the genocide of the Listeners. Whether or not the world he lives in and the circumstances of his life and culture progress to a point where he considers his behavior morally wrong is a question of plot, character development for Dalinar, and worldbuilding for Roshar. Whatever answer Sanderson chooses and how he goes about it will be influenced by his own beliefs, values, circumstances of life, culture, and religion. For example, it’s completely believable for Dalinar to ultimately never feel bad for slaughtering indigenous people in the text of the books when it’s all finished, but one would assume there will have been been negative consequences for Dalinar and/or and the world not learning the error of their ways if Sanderson wants the text to support the idea that ethnic cleansing is reprehensible.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Lawnie posted:

I think the themes of imperialism explored in Wit’s story of the walled town and racism throughout the series can be seen as piece and part of the conversation between Dalinar’s story and Mormonism. The alethi are at least initially interested only in subjugating or ethnically cleansing their dark-skinned enemies who turn out to be the true natives of the continent and predate the lighter-skinned people of Roshar.
Obviously the Alethi are imperialistic assholes, but IIRC non-listener Rosharans as a whole are a pretty big mix of skin colors, and the Alethi themselves are brown.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea they are black or white and have marbled red patterns

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Oh hey, we have a Brandon Sanderson thread. I see there is still no news about the Rithmatist re-write/sequels, but I understand that the others work take priority. Look forward to more Stormlight Archive and Mistborn.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I loved Skyward. Now I'm listening to Starsight and not enjoying it that much. 3 reasons:

The story finds Spensa back in an academy, only this time her wingmates are aliens!

Also, it's a spy story just like Shallan's plot with the Ghostbloods, except the goofy spren are goofy aliens. The illusion powers are so similar...

Whereas Skyward was very streamlined with few scenes that could be cut, Starsight reads like Sanderson is searching for a plot as he writes it. The inciting event, was interesting but how the characters responded to it didn't feel logical at all.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
As someone who had many of the same complaints you did, I eventually came to like it at the end.

I definitely think Sanderson meandered a bit, but he had an ending in mind and the wandering was to get the pieces in place for that ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Yessss he's finally starting on Stormlight book 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1kbpjcXsqM