Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Mortanis posted:

I'll go nerd here, but Atium only matters if Kelsier can hit her. All Moiraine needs to do is throw up a wall of Air around her, and no coins Kelsier shoots will land on her, nor can he approach to ninja her to death. Atium might get him the ability to dodge weaves of Air or Balefire, but a shield of Air just about stops anything he can do cold.

Pending, of course, that Moraine can fight him based on believing him a Darkfriend, of course.

She can defend herself, DF or not. How would Atium work attempting to predict an attack that, if it connected, removed the user from the timeline before the Atium was burned? Not really relevant since Moirainne doesn't use it...but Atium would be useless against things like Compulsion .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Edit - removed because I can't read worth a drat. Still think she'd win just by weaving a sphere of solid air around herself, Atium or not.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
How would a sphere of solid air protect against a Duralumin-enhanced Soothing? Do you keep channeling when you're all stroked the gently caress out and drooling?

I really think the sheer weirdness of Allomancy makes up for its other weaknesses, and this is going to be one gently caress-awesome fight.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

How would a sphere of solid air protect against a Duralumin-enhanced Soothing? Do you keep channeling when you're all stroked the gently caress out and drooling?

I really think the sheer weirdness of Allomancy makes up for its other weaknesses, and this is going to be one gently caress-awesome fight.

I think a good Rioting is what's in order, it's hard to channel the OP when somebody is feeling certain very strong emotions, after all.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

I think a good Rioting is what's in order, it's hard to channel the OP when somebody is feeling certain very strong emotions, after all.

Riot her arrogance.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Way of Kings is easily his most mature work. I would recommend it over anything else, even though Mistborn is great and easy to get into. In fact, I would recommend reading the Mistborn trilogy last, because it will predispose you to think his other novels will be one way, and then you will be a little disappointed, when really its just a problem of expectations.

So I claim that Warbreaker and Elantris are his best starter books, followed by Way of Kings. Both are good enough that a fan of the fantasy genre will finish and enjoy them, before falsely cementing the Magic System is Everything idea about Sanderson.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Kelsier didn't know about duralumin :colbert:

I guess in the context of some make believe tournament someone could have told him about it though.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

eggsovereasy posted:

Kelsier didn't know about duralumin :colbert:

I guess in the context of some make believe tournament someone could have told him about it though.

Kelsier with Bendalloy... good god :stare:

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
I thought Alloy of Law was pretty bland and even more bordering on YA than Mistborn was. The characters were all obnoxious and I agree with what was said earlier about what an action movie it was- mass killing of faceless henchmen and big explosions.

Sanderson is still writing like a fresh-faced young author- big ideas, lots of enthusiasm, not much depth of character.

That said I really respect what he's doing and his dedication and I think he deserves our support and our money. Just lose the hard on guys, he has a long way to come as an author.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Maytag posted:

That said I really respect what he's doing and his dedication and I think he deserves our support and our money. Just lose the hard on guys, he has a long way to come as an author.
I'll keep my hard on thank you. I like Sanderson for his dedication and enthusiasm and insane work ethic. He pumps out books like no tomorrow and has shown clear improvement, even if he isn't the best at character writing. His world building is very solid and makes up for most of the qualms I have with his awkward humor writing and dialogues.

He can definitely still improve his writing, but that doesn't stop him from being one of my favorite current authors.

Of course, this opinion is coming from a guy who put down Game of Thrones after getting a few chapters into the second book because I don't have enough time to invest in a slow burn series with more politics and characters.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Maytag posted:

I thought Alloy of Law was pretty bland and even more bordering on YA than Mistborn was. The characters were all obnoxious and I agree with what was said earlier about what an action movie it was- mass killing of faceless henchmen and big explosions.

Sanderson is still writing like a fresh-faced young author- big ideas, lots of enthusiasm, not much depth of character.

I've felt that Mistborn is more his "concept" series- Magic physics! What happens if we move it to different technology!- and WoK is where he really lets his characters come through. Dalinar, for all his cliches, is probably my favorite so far because even if he's "badass" for a fantasy novel, his self-doubt about his honor/seizures is really well done and he makes some hard choices. Meanwhile, mistborn is a really well-imagined Harry Potter that loves the left side of the periodic table.

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition

Democratic Pirate posted:

He can definitely still improve his writing, but that doesn't stop him from being one of my favorite current authors.

Of course, this opinion is coming from a guy who put down Game of Thrones after getting a few chapters into the second book because I don't have enough time to invest in a slow burn series with more politics and characters.

I'm with you on the GoT hate, it's loving boring and the author does nothing but write about "breaking fast".

That said, with your guys recommendation I'll read the third Mistborn book, and then try out that Way of Kings series.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

SageSepth posted:

I'm with you on the GoT hate, it's loving boring and the author does nothing but write about "breaking fast".

Yes, that is literally all there is to that series.

Topically, I read the Mistborn trilogy first (and loved it) and then read The Way of Kings (and also loved it), so I condone your choice of doing exactly that.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Y'know that Mistborn video game people bring up every now and again? It's been officially announced. Apparently it's going to be for Windows, the PS3, and the 360.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I can't view the site at work, could you provide some details?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Cartoon Man posted:

I can't view the site at work, could you provide some details?

Coming Fall 2013, "Test your Metal", and then has a list of the Allomantic metals and what they do.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

omnibobb posted:

Coming Fall 2013, "Test your Metal", and then has a list of the Allomantic metals and what they do.

And is being called "Mistborn: Birthright"

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!
It's only got the 8 base metals too. :(

Skapegoat
Feb 18, 2011

This Post Sucks posted:

That makes sense in the context of the game. It's supposed to take place several (hunderd?) years before the trilogy, when Vin discovered most of the new metals.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
Well, with such great past hits like "Busy scissors [sic]" and the hit iOS point-and-click puzzle game "Sherlock Holmes Mysteries" I don't see how this developer could possibly lead us wrong!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ugh, I was hoping for a somewhat major game developer studio. Is it too much to ask Ubisoft to take their new Assasin's Creed 3 engine and mod it to run Allomancy? :saddowns:

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Cartoon Man posted:

Ugh, I was hoping for a somewhat major game developer studio. Is it too much to ask Ubisoft to take their new Assasin's Creed 3 engine and mod it to run Allomancy? :saddowns:

It's bad enough it's GFWL, but you want Ubi's launcher in there, too? Are you a masochist?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

This Post Sucks posted:

I like how the new 8 metals were all things that they didn't have the technical aptitude to produce. He actually picked a good setup for numbers 9-16. I'm not surprised to have them absent in a prequel.

That said, I was hoping for a studio that had made some decent titles at some point, drat. My hopes for this are pretty low.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Has Sanderson's Moiraine vs Kelsier write-up been posted here yet?
http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2012/03/cage-match-2012-round-4-moiraine-damodred-versus-kelsier.html
It's pretty funny, but filled with spoilers for both Mistborn and Wheel of Time up through Towers of Midnight.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here is the Sanderson blog entry.
http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/1067/Announcing-the-Mistborn-Video-Game

quote:

Today we're officially announcing Mistborn: Birthright, an action-RPG set in the Mistborn world.

To those who have been paying close attention, much of this may not be surprising. The MB:B website went live earlier in the month, and I have tweeted several times about the impending game. In short, we're hoping to do a fun, fast-paced, action game with some RPG elements, cool Allomancy effects, and some (hopefully) killer dialogue. That last part is my job, as I'll be writing the story and most (if not all) of the game's dialogue.

The game will take place hundreds of years before the events of the books, during the early days of the Final Empire. People have often asked me if I will do prequels to Mistborn, and my response has frequently been that I won't likely write them as novels—but I might consider them for other mediums. We're going to try it here, and this will let us do some very cool things to expand the world. And yes, you get to play as a Mistborn.

The game is scheduled for fall of next year, and we're still very much in the preliminary stages of game design. That means that I don't have much to tell you other than what I wrote above. (Though the game's website will be posting screenshots and the like as they become available.)

So, since I can't tell you terribly much about the game quite yet, instead I'll tell you how it came to be. I've been keeping my eyes open for the chance to do a Mistborn game for some time; several chances arose, but they always fell through for one reason or another. I didn't want to give the rights to just anybody. I've been a gamer since my first Atari, and I wanted to do it right.

When Little Orbit first approached me, I was skeptical. I didn't recognize the company, and though they had worked on some professional projects, I didn't see anything in their pedigree that screamed Mistborn at me. However, I like to at least talk to people who are making offers on my work.

And so, I chatted with them. I met with them. And I was impressed. Not only did they have a love for Mistborn, they had more experience at this sort of thing than I'd originally assumed. The company is made up of people who have been in the business for a long time, and they had worked on a variety of games I really love. (They even have guys who were involved in the original Fallout and Baldur's Gate games.)

Their pitch materials were good and very persuasive. But the final thing that convinced me they were right came when we sat down and talked about the type of game we would make. Not only were they eager for me to be involved in the story, our discussions of what would make an awesome Mistborn game were synergistic and exciting. They envisioned the game the same way I always had.

The longer I've worked with them, the more impressed I've been. They keep their promises; they aren't just willing to let me be involved—they seem dedicated to making certain I'm pleased every step of the way. They don't need to go so far—I've said before that I feel an author shouldn't usually have control of game design, but leave that to people who know how to make fun games—but they have gone well beyond what is required of them.

These guys really, really want to make a great Mistborn game. I'm thrilled by what is coming your way when this thing is done.

There's always another secret.

Brandon

The press release follows:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Best-selling Fantasy Writer Brandon Sanderson and Little Orbit team up to bring Mistborn Saga to Video games in 2013
Sanderson to pen original prequel to Mistborn Series for all-new RPG franchise
March 26, 2012 – Rancho Santa Margarita, CA – Little Orbit revealed today that they will be bringing bestselling author Brandon Sanderson's epic fantasy series Mistborn to games late next year for PlayStation® computer entertainment system, the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Windows PC and Mac.

Mistborn is set in a dark world of ash, mist, and gothic fantasy creatures, dominated by a seemingly immortal villain known as the Lord Ruler. It also follows individuals who use a powerful rule-based magic system known as Allomancy that allows them to temporarily enhance their physical and mental abilities by ingesting and "burning" flakes of metal. Those who have the ability to burn a single metal are called Mistings, and those who can burn all metals are known as Mistborn.

The upcoming RPG video game will feature an original storyline created by Sanderson, set several hundreds of years before the first Mistborn novel, and will focus on a unique combat system that puts Allomancy into the hands of gamers. Players will suit up as Fendin "Fiddle" Fathvell, an arrogant young nobleman who must quickly master his newfound Allomantic abilities before forces at work can destroy his entire family.

"I'm a huge fan of the series, and I cannot wait to get this into the hands of gamers," said Matthew Scott, CEO of Little Orbit. "Between the distinctive magic system, the story twists Brandon has planned for the game, and the rich depth of character skills, we're creating something very unique for players to enjoy."

Sanderson is no stranger to video games. He recently completed story development on the Infinity Blade II video game including the accompanying Infinity Blade: Awakening novella. In between writing his popular Mistborn and Stormlight novels, he is also finishing work on the final novel in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Sanderson has been labeled "one of the most popular new fantasy writers to emerge in the last ten years."

"As an avid gamer, I'm extremely excited by this opportunity," said Sanderson. "The chance to write the story for a Mistborn game while working with a team of talented developers is, quite literally, living a dream."

For more information visit https://www.mistborngame.com
And be sure to follow us on Facebook to receieve updates https://www.facebook.com/mistborngame

About Little Orbit

Little Orbit is a worldwide video game publisher formed in January 2010 with a focus on licensed-based entertainment products. The company's emphasis is on working with popular creators to extend their vision into games through transmedia storytelling and engaging content for all gaming platforms. Little Orbit has a unique history assisting major entertainment companies to leverage their brands through emerging game channels to help grow and engage consumers. Founded by industry veterans and key development, sales and marketing personnel, Little Orbit is focused on three primary channels of distribution including traditional game retail, non-traditional retail channels, and digital download over the various platform networks.
https://www.littleorbit.com

About Brandon Sanderson

Brandon Sanderson is the coauthor with Robert Jordan of the #1 NY Times bestselling Wheel of Time novels The Gathering Storm and Towers of Midnight, and a top 10 NY Times and international bestselling author for his novels The Way of Kings and Mistborn: The Alloy of Law, all published by Tor Books in the US. An award-winning author, he is published in 25 languages, with global sales in the millions of copies. His Mistborn saga has become a multi-faceted brand, with a film in development from Paloppa Pictures, and a classic tabletop RPG released by Crafty Games in 2011.

Hmmmmm. In Sanderson we trust, I guess.

EDIT: That cage match writeup was funny as hell. :roflolmao:

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 26, 2012

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

I was really skeptical before, but now I'm getting excited. Can't wait for it to get farther along for more info.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
As someone in the industry, most companies start out making lovely shovelware until they land their first nice contract. That doesn't necessarily mean this will be good, but this kind of stuff is fairly common.

My main issue is that I really have trouble seeing the market for this. Unless Sanderson has a far larger appeal than I think he has, I have trouble seeing this game being able to recoup a 5-10 million dollar investment.

I can't say that this is 100% on my buy list, but I will definitely keep an eye on it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Somebody asked Brandon the following over twitter.

quote:

Should I crush my hopes if I'm hoping for Point&Click game, accessible to heavily handicapped? Devs tend to forget us. :-(

His response:

Brandon Sanderson posted:

I'm sorry. :( I just love action RPGs. However, being aware of what you said may spur me to make other decisions in the future.

Guess that narrows down how the game will play out.

EDIT:
Here, have a Kotaku article.
http://kotaku.com/5896512/mistborn-fantasy-series-is-getting-a-video-game-prequel

Kotaku posted:

Mistborn Fantasy Series Is Getting A Video Game Prequel

The Mistborn fantasy novel series will hightail its way to the video game realm next fall, helmed by the developer Little Orbit.

This will be a prequel to Brandon Sanderson's book series and hit the PC, Mac, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 in fall 2013. (Hmmmmmmmm.)

Little Orbit writes in a press release:
(check a few posts up for the press release)

Mistings? The Lord Ruler? Fendin "Fiddle" Fathvell? I suspect Mistborn: Birthright will prove a worthy competitor to Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning in the battle of who can deliver the most ridiculous proper nouns.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Mar 27, 2012

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Eh! Frank posted:

Has Sanderson's Moiraine vs Kelsier write-up been posted here yet?
http://sf-fantasy.suvudu.com/2012/03/cage-match-2012-round-4-moiraine-damodred-versus-kelsier.html
It's pretty funny, but filled with spoilers for both Mistborn and Wheel of Time up through Towers of Midnight.

Ahaha that owns.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Seriously, I loved how he poked fun at both series' *and* himself all in the space of a few paragraphs.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

quote:

“Yes,” Kelsier said, “but my series has a long way to go yet. Who knows what could happen? I’ve heard that some very remarkable things can happen with spikes . . .”

Just gonna leave this here.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

arioch posted:

Just gonna leave this here.

Oh god, the voice of Harmony in Marsh's head will be replaced with Kelsier.

The poor bastard.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

quote:

“Oh please,” Moiraine said. “The guy writes thousand-page books in his sleep every night. It won’t take him long to write this.”

Definitely my favorite line of the writeup.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cartoon Man posted:

Somebody asked Brandon the following over twitter.

His response:

Guess that narrows down how the game will play out.

EDIT:
Here, have a Kotaku article.
http://kotaku.com/5896512/mistborn-fantasy-series-is-getting-a-video-game-prequel

Under a year of development time? Eurgh.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

IRQ posted:

Under a year of development time? Eurgh.

Fall 2013 is a year and a half away.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

crazylakerfan posted:

Fall 2013 is a year and a half away.

That and it's an XBLA/PSN title, so you'll probably want to scale your expectations back to something closer to an iPad game* than a full-fledged AAA title.

*Not to say this would be Fruit Ninja with Coinshots. Think something on the higher end, like Infinity Blade... which unintentionally brings the analogy right back to Sanderson again.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

The annotations on Warbreaker are really interesting to read as I go through, though he loves to shove spoilers in the titles of the annotations.

When is Sanderson writing something that's not Wheel of Time, again?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Casao posted:

The annotations on Warbreaker are really interesting to read as I go through, though he loves to shove spoilers in the titles of the annotations.

When is Sanderson writing something that's not Wheel of Time, again?

He has that ebook/Subterranean Press novella due out soon, doesn't he? And he already has like three things planned for once the edits on AMoL are done (Rithmatist, Stormlight Book 2, maybe another Alcatraz book I forget).

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Subterranean novel is coming out later this year (we don't know when yet), and he's starting Stormlight 2 after Wheel of Time is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

404GoonNotFound posted:

He has that ebook/Subterranean Press novella due out soon, doesn't he? And he already has like three things planned for once the edits on AMoL are done (Rithmatist, Stormlight Book 2, maybe another Alcatraz book I forget).

Are the Alcatraz books any good? They're supposed to be YA so I haven't read any.

Stormlight 2 makes me happy, what's the Rithmatist?