Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!
On Steelheart and Epics - I was disappointed to learn that Epics are lovely individuals because it's literally a side effect of their powers. It would be much more interesting to find out that the powers had no effect on their morals beyond the inherent corrupting force that comes with having absolute power and no reason to be accountable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!

thespaceinvader posted:

Except, that's pretty clearly not what's happening. Having the powers doesn't make you a colossal dick, as neatly evidenced by Conflux and Prof, not to mention Firefight, nor does using those powers, as evidence by Prof's 'hypertech' devices. Being an Epic and using your own Epic powers causes a change in your personality

Not sure which one of us you're responding to, but Sanderson seems to imply with not much subtlety that using the powers makes you a dick, which is why Tia coaches Prof whenever he uses his power and tries to keep him in check and David begs Megan not to use her powers for a few days so she'll become herself again. When Megan uses her illusions in the elevator shaft, David describes her looking as if she was going to murder him, just a few moments after a friendly conversation. The mood swings don't seem consistent with someone in their right mind, even someone on a power-trip.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!

Thalamas posted:

I thought Steelheart's weakness was that the weapon needed to be passed through the body of another Epic. Dad shoots Deathpoint and it passes through and scratches Steelheart. Thought in the final fight someone would put a bullet/Prof would put a sword in Nightwielder and it would pass through and kill Steelheart or something. Boy, was I wrong.

Also, I enjoy Sanderson's sense of humor - even Shallan. Then again, I have a terrible sense of humor.

I thought Shallan was obnoxious and unfunny in the worst way in the beginning, but then, I think that was the point. As the book progressed you can notice that she holds her tongue more and more in social situations and grows up in general.

It's not like Sanderson is incapable of writing genuinely witty dialogue - the Lightsong character in Warbreaker had some great one-liners.