Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Nique posted:

I have just binged the entire Dresden series, followed by the 4 Mistborn books, and now finished Stormlight. Seeing as we seem to be on the same track I'm going to take your post as advice that I should at least try out Iron Druid and The Lost Fleet :)

The Lost Fleet is all right if you can get past the part where every book has literally the exact same plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Phummus posted:

I finally finished book 3. It was a pretty satisfying ending. You're right, it was pretty telegraphed who the author of the lead-ins was. Is it worth reading The Alloy Of Law?

The Alloy of Law is a lot tighter and faster-running story than the most of Sanderson's stuff. His biggest downfall, IMO, is to have the story drag on through boring stuff way too long - about 2/3 of the Mistborn Trilogy is plowing through the slow bits to get to the good parts, and Alloy of Law mostly avoids that.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Legion is the best Sanderson writing yet, it owns.

Piell fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 12, 2012

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Honestly I'd say Sanderson suffers by having all the longass series - his best stuff is the short stories/single books IMO.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Gygaxian posted:

So has anyone read Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan? It's an industrial age fantasy written by one of Sanderson's former students, and I think it's pretty good. It definitely has a Sanderson influence (weird magic systems, inability to write humor, etc), but it's written well for the author's first published book. I especially like the tagline:

I've had it for a few months, but I'm re-reading it and getting impressed again.

I thought it was pretty good, and I did feel a lot of Sanderson's influence with the solidity of how the different magic systems worked.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

ConfusedUs posted:

I really disliked his Night Angel series because of its juvenile approach to, well, everything. It was a fourteen year old boy's power fantasy.

Has he improved?

There's still a bit of that, but it's a lot better than Night Angel.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Where's my Legion TV series, already

Edit: Looks like the last tweet was from October 24, 2013 saying it's slowly moving forward.

Piell fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 31, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

subx posted:

Completely different characters in different genres of media can have similar speech patterns?!?!? The hell you say! And here I thought everything was always completely original. I can't enjoy something that might have elements that reference other things!

Anyways, Is it actually said somewhere that Zahel is Vasher? Did I miss that part? It's obvious he's something more than what he lets on, but I didn't catch that he was supposed to be a world hopper just reading the book.

No, it's not explicit in-book, but since Nightblood crossed over and here is this swordmaster uses color references all the time it's a pretty solid guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
IIRC, Legion is still theoretically becoming a TV show.