Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I won't delve into thread to avoid spoiling myself but I just finished The Well of Ascension and gently caress you Brandon Sanderson now I need to find the last book as soon as I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

subx posted:

Yea, I'm pretty sure his mind is a little wonky.

I don't think most people get cut off and think:

"That was interesting, I should write a book!" :iiaca: literally!

I think this is called being an author. He just seems to be in better grips with the drive and activity of writing than most.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

Especially the book 3 ending when you realize how much closer you should have been paying attention to detail.

Fortunately, I love it when an author makes me feel stupid like he does.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Think of the Mistborn trilogy as one book. Most of the third book is the Sanderson Avalanche of that whole book. You're stuck in the middle doldrums. On reflection I didn't find it that bad, but I can totally see how someone would. But who picks up a Sanderson book and skips out on the Avalanche?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I just finished The Way of Kings myself. Christ, I probably should have waited for him to finish the series before I did that.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I'm waiting for the UK cover which is hopefully gonna be stylistically congruent with the previous Sanderson covers, and which I much prefer to US covers.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

veekie posted:

I like his magic systems though, they feel more integral in how the world works, rather than something you wave around and effects come out of their rear end. You can extrapolate what the magic does, and how it might be manipulated, which in turn reveals how it could affect the plot.

You get plenty of the "Concentrate and poof" kind everywhere.

I read The Alloy of Law in one sitting today and this really shines in that book. There are a lot of brilliant moments in the action sequences that work because the characters have grown up inside the magic system and are familiar with the rules (in broad strokes, at least) and can apply them creatively and to the best of their ability. I'm thinking of things like Wax throwing Miles the bullet and Miles catching it reflexively allowing Wax to Push him off the train, or the safety in the Vindicator which can only be switched by Pushing or Pulling. You also have people adapting to the magic system by inventing ways to oppose or subvert it without having magical ability.

I very much look forward to the science fiction Mistborn trilogy where, Sanderson has said, he's going to have people extrapolate Allomancy into FTL technology. I'd imagine it involves messing around with large quantities of atium, bendalloy and cadmium. And since aluminium is Allomantically inert, there might be a whole book's worth of story in what happens when they figure out the Hall–Héroult process and can produce large quantities of electricity, making aluminium cheap to produce.

It feels like an underutilized idea in general - we have boatloads of pre-modern era fantasy, plenty of urban fantasy, but virtually no fantasy in a futuristic setting.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Well duh. Everyone knows that if it's in the future it isn't 'magic', it's 'psionics'.

drat, you're right. (Also sufficiently advanced technology blah blah)

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

uh zip zoom posted:

in way of kings does dalinar erase his wife from his memory?

Forgetting his wife was the price he paid for using Old Magic.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Grundulum posted:

Not just Malazan. American Gods (Neil Gaimann) and the Dresden Files (Jim Butcher) have used this system, so it's hardly an Erickson exclusive. Heck, I'd bet (without having looked at any of the books in years) that Terry Pratchett did this in at least one Discworld novel.

Small Gods establishes that gods on the Disc draw power from having people worship and pray to them. The titular small gods are little sprites (spren? :v:) that roam the Disc hoping to luck into someone praying to them.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I may need to pay double price to get the UK version so that the cover matches the rest of my Sandersons. :ohdear:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Hint to UK/EU goons who are ebook impaired: I just discovered that The Emperor's Soul and Legion have been put together in an omnibus paperback edition!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, I saw that in Waterstone's myself today. Cool cover, but I'm really not sure those two books actually go together...

Publishing them as separate 100 page paperbacks would be a bit silly, I think it's just economical.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Wow, Steelheart. :stare:

By sheer chance my UK edition had the climax laid out perfectly. The last three lines of page 375:

"I know everything," I whispered. Then I smiled.

Steelheart pulled the trigger.

Inside the gun, the hammer struck the back of the bullet's

I had to put the book down and just take a moment. David had fiddled with the gun! He knew and I knew and it was happening! I actually thought he'd rigged the gun to backfire somehow, though, because I'd forgotten about the pen. Whoops.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

Gygaxian posted:

So has anyone read Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan? It's an industrial age fantasy written by one of Sanderson's former students, and I think it's pretty good. It definitely has a Sanderson influence (weird magic systems, inability to write humor, etc), but it's written well for the author's first published book. I especially like the tagline:

I've had it for a few months, but I'm re-reading it and getting impressed again.

I got it a few months ago and I enjoyed it. I think it has a bit of first-in-a-series-itis in that it needs to establish the setting and the characters so I have high hopes for book 2 which should be out early next year.

The tagline is what sold me on it too. It has a lot of fresh takes on some standard fantasy stuff, and it's an 17th/18th century technological setting without being outright steampunk. The stuff with the gods coming back and one of them being an army cook was a cool idea. The protagonists are world-weary, experienced people instead of 20somethings, which is also a nice change of pace, and I liked the relationship between Tamas, his son, and how they were ultimately dealing with Tamas's wife's assassination (not well).

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Hell yes. Iron and steel burners are basically free power. You get a lot of it from a very small amount of resource, and that's discounting what you could potentially do by combining a bunch of lurchers/coinshot and a nicrosil misting. Hell, a skilled coinshot could very easily power his own vehicle, simply by having the right sort of cranking mechanism attached to the axle.

This is what I most like about the idea of the Alloy series - we've already seen a few bits and pieces of everyday allomancy (Renette, in particular, and her doors, but also the gun that's keyed so only a coinshot or lurcher can take the safety off, Wax powering bullets with his allomancy etc etc etc), taking it to the next stage sounds awesome.

This sort of thing is where the characters showing their resourcefulness by knowing well the rules of the magic system can really work, too. (It's basically just another type of physics.) My favourite Alloy of Law moment is when Wax is fighting Miles on the roof of a moving train, Wax ejects a bullet from his gun, throws it at Miles and pushes the bullet (and Miles) off the train when he reflexively catches it.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

"Stop when it starts to get too stupid/boring/silly for you to stomach" is a pretty good reading guide for the Dune series. Although if you plow through the Anderson & Herbert books following that maxim, something is wrong with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Is the UK cover available yet? I really like the aesthetic of Sanderson's UK editions, and I wanna see the next one!

You mean the white ones? All my Sandersons are like that. I love how they fit together on the shelf. :allears: