Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I just finished The Rithmatist and I really liked it, this is the first non-WoT book I have read from him, does he have any other books with unusual magic systems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Oh hey, we have a Brandon Sanderson thread. I see there is still no news about the Rithmatist re-write/sequels, but I understand that the others work take priority. Look forward to more Stormlight Archive and Mistborn.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have been re-reading the Saga of Pliocene Exile, the series came out in the early 80's, but the style of the covers look absolutely ancient. I'm amazed that art styles can have changed so much in so little time.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Velius posted:

There are different versions of the covers even in the states, my Nonborn King has Aiken Drum on a flying horse (I forget the name), but there’s a much more dated cover with him standing looking smug. I don’t know the deal with cover art except the authors have zero control over them. Charles Stross has a post about it here with regard to one of the most notoriously bad covers I’ve ever seen:

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2010/03/cmap-6-why-did-you-pick-such-a.html

It's stuff like this that just looks so odd in my opinion.

Not to derail the thread, but i'm really surprised that Saga of Pliocene Exile hasn't been picked up for a movie or tv treatment

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It's been a while since I read the Galactic Milieu series, I mostly remember it to be rather slow, but that may just be because of the first book.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Jose Valasquez posted:

Hopefully Sanderson doesn't go with Netflix or we'll only get 2 seasons of whatever they make

Most streaming services cancel shows that don't get enough viewers, Netflix is just the one that gets flack for it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
People here might be interested to know that Brandon Sanderson has created a new universe for the upcoming game Moonbreakers, it's a turn based figure game from the developers of the Subnautica series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP6r_hPECh0

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I've read all the cosmere stuff (apart from the latest Mistborn), but honestly, I could only remember the bare basics of how that universe works. So I enjoyed the books despite not being able to remember any of the references.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Rithmatist is still one of my favorite Sanderson books.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I enjoyed N. K. Jemisin's Broken Earth trilogy, but the other books I have read from her have been kinda bad.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

rafikki posted:

I’m about halfway through the new one. Not as into it as some of his other stuff, but not hating it.

I am really liking the new book so far

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don't think YA is a bad thing, but I thought Tress felt a lot more like a YA novel than this one.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Just as an aside, Perdido Street Station is probably my favorite book ever, but I understand why it might not work for everyone.

Mordiceius posted:

This is a question I'd like to expand to the rest of the regulars here -

What was your gateway to Brandon Sanderson?

I don't think I had ever heard of him before he took over Wheel of Time, but that got me interested in his writing.
The first Sanderson book I read was The Rithmatist, I know many people are really snobbish about YA books, but it's a really cool concept.
I look forward to Sanderson re-writing it as he is planning to.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Secret Project #3 will be coming out tonight!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The art in Secret Project #3 is very good, but it’s just too anime for me to take seriously
So far I think it’s one of Sanderson’s weakest books.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am very conflicted about Secret Book #3. Parts of it are easily the worst thing Sanderson had ever written, others are pretty good.

Overall there is some interesting world building in the form of a bad YA anime.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I want Sanderson to get on the Rithmatist rewrite.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
After Yumi was a bit worried, that was easily that worst Sanderson book I have read, and at times it was hard to finish.
But I loved The Sunlit Man, in contrast to Yumi this is so far my favorite Sanderson book.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I got the impression that most people loved Tress, but I also thought I was the only one who really hated Yumi.
Maybe I will like Yumi better whenever I do a re-read, but overall I was very happy with backing the project, and there seems to be something for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I thought the new Stormlight book was coming out this month, turns out it was December 2024, that explains why there was so little buzz.