Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Wearing a Szeth shirt like a boss.

God I cannot wait for the sequel to Way of Kings. I'm gonna try to get Steelheart and Emperor's Soul in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Having just finished Steelheart and liked it ok, I am surprisingly excited about this. Also burned through Alloy of Law and that was great. Looking forward to buying Rithmatist and The Emperor's Soul at some point.

Super Steelheart spoilers: I figured that Prof was an epic pretty early, and I was vacillating between Megan being either a spy or an unawakened Epic, but I totally didn't anticipate her being Firefight. I had been spoiled by Sanderson's description of his inspiration for the story, so I was really tuned into whenever the characters showed a personality change. Really missed Steelheart's weakness too, I was thinking the crossfire idea until that was shot down by Sanderson mentioning it. I had originally thought about the "bullet hits Epic then hurts Steelheart," but the description makes it clear that Deathpoint is sneaking up behind Steelheart and the bullet nicks him before hitting Deathpoint.

What I'm really curious about now are what Prof's and Firefight's weaknesses are. Also, where the hell did the Epic-readers come from? Prof obviously isn't an inventor, so what's that about? Some new Epic tech?

Also, whoever had the idea that Calamity is an alien/super that is Gifting all their powers I think is probably right on. I imagine the motivation is much like with Prof, by spreading it out he becomes more sane, at the expense of the recipients.

I also saw a lot of parallels with The Final Empire: I bet they find out that Steelheart was flawed but still trying to do right by people, much like the Emperor. I expect the city to go to hell and David and the gang getting guilt trips as they realize Steelheart was trying to protect them but forced to kill people so he'd be feared, and that he was so paranoid because as long as nobody had the chance to try to kill him, he didn't need to use his powers and was relatively sane.

gently caress "Sparks!" and "Newcago." "Slontze" was kinda funny, and weird enough as an insult I was willing to buy it.

Whoa that's a lot. Anyway, I guess I'm a Sanderson fanboy now. Words of Radiance just cannot come soon enough.

E: Also I always thought Shallan had black hair and slightly darker skin for some reason, no idea why.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Finally could get back to the thread! Shallan is greatly redeemed in my eyes, even though I apparently liked her more than most here. (Her jokes are still terrible and insufferable... thanks thread for making me aware of it.) Sanderson also did a good job making Kaladin insufferable again in a different way.

I told my friend that Words of Radiance is definitely a better book than Way of Kings: better pacing, better characterization, less rulebooking. However, I'm not sure it's a more entertaining book for me, I need to reread it to catch all the stuff I missed. I know WoK was even better on the reread, so I'll have to see that comparison to make sure it's on an even footing.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Hopeford posted:

I think I liked Words of Radiance more in general, but Way of Kings had the better climax. WoK felt very to the point and it made all the waiting feel like it mattered. The flashback sections, the real-time narrative and multiple character povs all collided in the exact same point and it worked beautifully. It was simple, to the point, and just really fun to read. WoR was generally more fun to read because it didn't delay the action scenes like WoK did, but at the same time that made it so that its climax wasn't as rewarding.

Another thing is that WoR's flashback scenes don't lead up to the big, big action climax in the book. I mean they go somewhere, sure, but in the end the climax is Kaladin's fight with Szeth and that had nothing to do with Shallan's flashbacks.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that while WoR had better scenes, WoK felt more...connected? I don't know, I might be rambling. I should probably re-read the book before I say anything.
I'd agree, I definitely remember the Sanderson Avalanche being stronger and more intense in WoK than in WoR, which is a reflection of his better pacing but conversely makes the climax (:dong:) less intense.

It's an interesting trade, I guess.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
The only anime thing that really bugged me was (not a big one) Kaladin landing with puffs of ice that formed glyphs - it was just so weird to conveniently make those shapes. I'd have preferred something more like what formed the Dawn Cities.

Also, any bets on the Parshendi being the Dawnsingers? They don't seem innately evil, just susceptible to voidspren, which from the Thrill we know also affects humans. We also know their singing can influence the world, i.e. the Everstorm, so shaping cities (and then obliterating them like Natan) should be in their purview.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I vaguely remember a parshman or Parshendi being described as mostly white marbled with red, but I can't tell you where I saw it. In any case, considering how much of his work involves not judging by appearances and working together and diversity being a strength, I really don't see implicit racism in having some dark marbley dudes be (for the present) the "bad guys". Besides, there's the dark-skinned Makabaki, and they're just people too, though to be fair we haven't seen much of them.

On the subject of authorial intent, did anyone else interpret Shallan's description of her drawing as a reference to writing realistic characters? The whole thing about contrast, using dark and light so the sketch wasn't boring and had depth, etc.?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

I agree with you about the bad jokes (even though I love puns) and the accent thing.

The innuendo thing is a little less bothersome to me because we are generally seeing the story from an Alethi frame of reference, and it is mentioned repeatedly that the Alethi are seen as prudes by a lot of other cultures. It's almost certainly handwaving by Sanderson to justify not having racier content, but it wasn't enough to break my suspension of disbelief.
In some ways the Alethi remind me of Islamic cultures, what with the separation of the sexes, the havah and the safehand, and strictures about social propriety.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I just finished Warbreaker, and wow that was pretty good. I kept thinking I had things figured out, and then I would either read it spelled out like it was perfectly obvious all along or discover that I was terribly, gloriously wrong. And this was even after accidentally reading some spoilers from this thread.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
My favorite interaction from that particular spoiler from Warbreaker (paraphrasing): Nightblood: "You see those guys over there? They look evil. We should kill them. Let's go kill them!" (Vasher tosses the sword at them instead) NB's receding voice: "Okay well I guess this works too!"

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Foxfire_ posted:

WoR: Szeth coming back right after dying isn't great, but not dying at all has its own problems. He can't really start his job working for the pedantically lawful villain by abandoning his Truthless-ness, even if he was right. Dying and coming back gets him out of it while technically not breaking any of his people's rules.
Yeah, but they could have had Kaladin leave him alive (but possibly broken) and then have the Skybreaker do the killing. It would be in theme if he exacted justice for all the murders, but then resurrected Szeth to give him a new lease on life as a warrior of Law. There are still problems with going from lawbreaker worthy of execution to a law enforcer, but it avoids some other pitfalls.

E: Unless your objection is the fact that people can be brought back from certainly-fatal wounds, which is still silly but what fantasy isn't?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
He's definitely in the vein of the hard-bitten, chain-smoking, whiskey-swigging detectives (though he only drinks the occasional *craft* beer and only smokes when he's literally on fire, which happens a lot) taking cases for hard-on-their-luck "dames" and getting shot at constantly. There's lots of internal monologue similar to that genre as well. Dresden's also a huge goon that plays D&D, wears trenchcoats, and literally lives in a basement with swords. Despite the covers, he actually is never said to wear a hat (so no fedora for the bingo) but I think he wore cut-off shorts in one book. Jim Butcher has no qualms making fun of his character.

It's a pretty fun series, though Dresden has a weird attitude about women; author-wise, female characters are generally capable and some are terrifying.

E: I'm told that the cut-offs were actually boxers with duckies on them.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Emperor's Soul is an amazing piece of literature, let alone fantasy. It's just well-paced, -structured, and -characterized all around.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure Sanderson has cursed in some of his books, though they're rare and pretty mild, just the occasional "drat" and possibly a "poo poo" or "crap" once . I remember thinking, "Wow, I thought he was a Mormon and never cursed."

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Yeah, if anything it's probably realistic for Kal to keep going through these cycles of depression. I'm definitely getting a manic-depressive vibe for him, and it's not like you magically get better from mental illness.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Karnegal posted:

On my other point (and I think we're on the same page here)-
YA also tends to like to wrap things up neatly (like the clear-cut good and evil stuff). Steelheart is a pretty good example of this: Where are they grey characters? Every epic we meet that isn't gifting their powers is a bad person (we'll talk about Megan in a minute). We get that using their powers somehow makes them bad, but the good guys are the ones that choose not to use their powers on themselves or only do so in life or death circumstances. The rest of the epics are pretty much comically evil, and thus we feel no real problems with them being killed. All of Prof's crew are clearly good guys that we're supposed to like. The only grey character is Megan who gets to cop out of being a complex character because she loses her memory constantly. If Megan was actually struggling with using her powers and being a bad guy or trying to not use them and help the Reckoners, it would be more interesting, but that's not really the case in the first book.
I think there's slightly more grey than you're giving credit for, though I'll admit not much: Steelheart is shown to have exaggerated his lethality, including fabricating deaths so he'd be more feared. Meanwhile, he's created a stable if iniquitous fiefdom. You could explain that away as him just wanting to be a king and that killing off his subjects would be counterproductive to that, but I suspect we may find out Steelheart was trying to help in his own flawed way, much like the Lord Ruler in Mistborn. As for Megan, she only forgets when she dies, so presumably she was helping the Reckoners a lot long after she could have eradicated them or revealed their whereabouts to Steelheart. Or, perhaps she did, and Steelheart let them go so there'd be fewer epics around (either for less competition or to try and help.

I might be reading too much into it, but the possibility is there, and Sanderson has shown that he likes reevaluating and redefining characters after they've been established.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I agree. While I won't put it past Sanderson to impress me, I'm afraid it'll be the same old mopey angst cycle book after book. While I've said in the past I find Kaladin's cycles of emotional turmoil to be refreshing and interesting, I want him to be learning from his experiences and growing with how to deal with it. After a while, I think it would be much more interesting to see him struggling with his new authority and power, realize he's getting into a funk, and figuring out how to deal with it productively. From a narrative standpoint, it can be balanced by his enemies becoming more competent and trying to exploit those weaknesses.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Yarrbossa posted:

Sort of general cosmos spoiler: Plus doesn't Galladon make an appearance in Stormlight Archives in an interlude?
Yeah he's one of the dudes wandering around the Purelake, I think looking for Hoid/Wit.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
It's the heritage of having a linguist like Tolkien writing the genre-defining book. He started by writing the history of the various languages before even writing the history of the world, just to make sure his characters communicated realistically enough for him. Everyone else tried to mimic him, even if they didn't have a background in languages.

That said, cologne can be jarring. What if a writer used "Parisian" as an adjective, or talked about Parmesan cheese? Some things are closely tied to the cities that created them, so referring to them necessarily reminds readers of those earth cities and can ruin the suspension of disbelief.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

Maybe there's a Shin village called cologne.

e: I don't recall mention of Hoid or others traveling between worlds. I just remember the comment about him and Shadesmar(?) in the 2nd book.
It's implied pretty strongly (and was confirmed in later Q&As); specifically, the strangers visiting the Purelake are all worldhoppers, and one of them is even mentioned as saying something in his native language.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Rumda posted:

I think the fact that Ruin and Preservation are so opposed they cancel each other out in that regard.
I think the biggest thing is that both have to be used in balance, so if Preservation is used on something there will be a little bit of Ruin somewhere else.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Just finished Firefight, and I'm disappointed at the things I predicted and pleased at the things that surprised me. Super-spoilers follow.

Way back I predicted that Calamity was a Super-Epic that was gifting its powers, so I was a little let down when that happened. It was also painfully obvious when Firefight was around, and helping David, with the bathroom door swinging and such, though I think that was supposed to be obvious.

I had thought that Mizzie was actually an illusion of Firefight's, all to set up a love triangle dramabomb, but thankfully neither of those happened. I was also glad to learn that Steelheart was just a bully, and his whole city wasn't some altruistic thing and he tried to avoid using his powers.

As for the fear = weakness, I think it's more what's in your nightmares, and it's facing that terror and breaking through it that makes the difference. How that relates to Fortuity's powers is a challenge, but I wonder if maybe they were wrong about them, or else that it's rejection from pretty women that does it rather than pretty women themselves.

I agree with the comments that the book feels a little disjoint, like there were several plot lines that were put together or changed direction a lot. It wasn't bad, just not as cohesive as I'm used to seeing from Sanderson.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

mewse posted:

Now I've started on the Reckoners books, though they seem more young adult than his other stuff.
If I remember right they were meant to be YA from the beginning, as was another non-Cosmere book Arithmatist.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Holy poo poo, I just read this. A Sanderson book with nudity? And ready world cursing? And an awesome blend of something I can't even talk about because it would spoil stuff? This is going to rival Emporer's Soul as my favorite novella of his.
Both Steelheart and Firefight had at least one scene with nudity and one curse word (non-sexualized and a pretty benign "drat", respectively, in each case but still)

I am now really interested in this Perfect State book. How many more Sanderson series can I follow?! :ohdear:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Not A Hydroxyl Ion posted:

I ended up staying up really late last night reading Perfect State and drat, was it worth it. I feel like Sanderson has come so far since Elantris.
Aaaauuuugh that mood whiplash! I was even expecting it, and I was completely blindsided. So good.

Fake edit: Sanderson obviously excels at the novella form, it seems all his best work is in that format. He really knows how to write a short, punchy, concise story and pack it with intrigue and action.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Torrannor posted:

I feel compelled to link again to tor.com (I'm not paid by them, I swear!), because they try to reason out how to use Allomancy to create FTL travel:

http://www.tor.com/2015/07/07/how-can-we-use-mistborns-allomancy-to-travel-faster-than-light/

It gets very technical very soon, which I really liked. I'm wondering if it's people from Scadrial that visit the natives in Sixth of the Dust? The third method the article proposes doesn't sound implausible.

It will probably something else entirely, some insane combination of several world's magical system. Both Ferruchemy and Hemalurgy seem to have the potential to give other world's magic powers to a person from Scadrial, so I wonder what kind of insane shenanigans you could come up with if you are both a Ferruchemist and can use Awakening? On that note, can anybody get Breaths from the people on Nalthis? In any case, what could an awakened Metalmind do with it's stored power? The possibility of combining the different magics of the Cosmere could create really amazing results.
Ugh the author gets a lot of physics very wrong and completely misunderstands relativity in their explanation and I am oddly upset at their errors getting into my fantasy physics

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Cartoon Man posted:

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread that Elantris is getting cleaned up and re-released for its ten year anniversary. Who knows what it will be fixing though, maybe not much. I like the book even though it can be rough around the edges. Hrthen is still one of my favorite Sanderson charecters and his story arc in the book is pretty badass.
Elantris was one of the first Sanderson books I read (after he helped close out Wheel of Time) and I followed up with the rest in roughly chronological release order, and it's amazing the progress you can see him make as a writer. Even in Elantris, which has a lot of rough edges, Hrathen is an example of good characterization and the final encounter shows off the typical Sanderson Avalanche. They stick out all the more because of how flat a lot of the other characters are, but it's neat to see his development over several books.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

Elantris is the one that Sanderson wrote early on and is a really rough read right? That and Emperor's Soul might be the only Cosmere stuff I haven't read yet.
Like others have said, it's not terrible, it's just rough, as you'd expect from someone's first published novel. It has interesting ideas, but it's clear that Sanderson was still figuring out how to structure plot and do proper pacing. If I remember right, one of his retrospective criticisms was that he relied too much on strictly alternating chapter POV characters rather than letting the story flow.

I don't fault people for not reading it (especially because he's making a revised edition, right?) but I enjoyed it even with its warts. Plus, seeing where things fail helped me see how good writing is constructed by contrast. Reading along with his website annotations is great too.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Evil Fluffy posted:

Next Stormlight book probably not until 2017? :emo:

I didn't realize the Wax and Wayne stuff was 4 books. I thought it ended with Bands of Mourning. I am looking forward to a 1980s Mistborn though. Imagine a misting lead singer in a hair metal band. :regd10:
I didn't think lead was one of the allomantic metals though :confused:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Finished Calamity and Bands of Mourning recently. Both gave me a vibe of Sanderson owning critiques of his work. For example, in Calamity someone says to David essentially, "You have brilliant ideas sometimes, but your execution is crap." He also lampshaded his weird curses and contrasted it with real world slang.

In Bands, it felt like he was pushing his Mormonism limits by the inclusion of alcohol, making fun of soda (and having a character down a bunch of it), having risqué interactions between characters including some talk of body parts and sex, cursing, and a few other things so it wasn't the squeaky clean comfort zone he's had in the past.

I love how Steris has grown as a person, though I agree it seemed to come at the cost of Marasi. I also liked the interaction of Wax and Harmony post-death and why Harmony did what he did to Wax, and how Wax agreed but still thought it was bullshit. MeLaan was great as well.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Yeah he's definitely at the point where he can say "This is what the character would say" now, but having seen his writing develop I know there was a time where he wouldn't have been able to write those conversations, or if he did they would have been transparently awkward and just wrong. Not that his dialogue doesn't still have problems, but he can have his characters say these things now because he's pushed himself in the past, and these examples themselves are chances to push himself further.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Legion is another one of the books that's hard to find in print.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
What about Perfect State?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

OAquinas posted:

Don't forget the spanking, an important plot point in at least 3 of the books! :ccp:

And as always, it's important to put Jordan in historical context. If WoT was written today? Yeah, incredibly sexist. But by the standards of 80-90s fantasy, it was downright progressive.

E: To be clear I'm not saying it was the most progressive thing ever for that time, but it was significant that it was that popular and also took fantasy a step in the right direction.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Thank you so much for posting your thoughts. I will say you're way closer in some respects than I was. Also you have a lot to look forward to in book 3, and more in the Wax & Wayne books.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I like some of the concepts more than the final product. Everything just seems so static. At least in the concepts you had motion in the poses, or Jasnah actually facing the giant.

Also the "growing metal" idea really didn't translate for me in the imagery. Neat concept though.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Atlas Hugged posted:

Some of the flashback stuff was interesting. When it came to like the 20th ladder run though I was completely out of patience and then in book 2 he's Mr. Mopey-pants and no thank you.

His mopeyness is definitely annoying but I considered it a deliberate point on Sanderson's behalf: Kaladin is half clinically depressed, half addict coming down from a bender. It made him less of a Mary-Sue character because he has serious flaws, just like his suspicions of Dalinar (even though Dalinar is totally dreamy :allears:)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

seaborgium posted:

Elantris really does suffer from the Sanderson plot dump that happens in the last bit of the book. I thought it was worth it, but if you don't feel like slogging through it do what Potato Salad said and just read a plot summary, or the entry for it on the 17th Shard.

It suffers from him being a new author and doesn't have the benefit of all the work he's done to improve his craft.

He uses interstitial chapters as a crutch, killing the story's natural momentum, and his characters and their voices (with one fantastic exception) are clunky and a bit unnatural.

All that said, it has a great avalanche at the end. I haven't reread it (unlike most books) but I'm glad I read it at least once.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

bewilderment posted:

If you like Sanderson and want other authors I actually recommend Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, since it's all that doorstopper worldbuilding business except the 'world' in this case is real world history in the 17th and 18th centuries with some historical people replaced with the fictional main characters. Also has some little fantasy bits in it.

Where Sanderson seems to have inspired endings to his books, to the point I'm halfway sure he writes the ending first and then tries to figure out how to get all his characters there, Stephenson's endings just... don't.

I read Cryptonomicon and loved it, despite its weird ending that just sort of trailed off where I didn't expect it. I then read Anathem, which again I really enjoyed but I didn't feel really resolved anything right at the end.

The Boroque Cycle books, Seveneves, and some other books of his all do the same thing. Maybe I don't understand them or misinterpret his writing, but it's like he doesn't know how to write a satisfying conclusion or refuses to on some general principle. His plots also tend to meander all over the place and don't seem to have clear resolution or explanation why they followed the track they did, which often span the globe in several continent-hopping jumps.

His writing is very technical and does tend to hold to some kind of "reality" even if it's a fantastical one, but I really don't see much similarity between him and Sanderson. I've obviously read a lot of his books, but at the end of them I'm not even sure if I've enjoyed them. I usually feel like I learned something though, which is why I keep doing it.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Perfect State isn't a cosmere book, much like the Rithmatist and Reckoners series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Regarding Nohadon/Dalinar

Weren't there references to Dalinar thinking "Wasn't that what I told Nohadon the first time I had a vision?" or something like that? I wouldn't be surprised if there was some time loop interaction fuckery involved somewhere.