Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural Joe
Dec 27, 2006

So rereading the book I noticed a few things I think will become important later on: When Dalinar has a vision of Nohadon (The guy who wrote the book) he mentions the 'Nahel bond' which is a source of power. Given that the creatures Shallan interacts with refer to her as having a bond, I think that is what is going on there.

The other thing is that Elohkar is said to be paranoid and mentions seeing creatures with horrible symbols for heads- the same thing that Shallan sees. So maybe he has the same power too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural Joe
Dec 27, 2006

One of the things that interests me most in the way of kings is the gem that casts a black light that Szeth was given by Gavilar. Of all the things I have picked up on after re reading, that is the one that makes me think 'what the hell is up with that'

Natural Joe
Dec 27, 2006

Tedronai66 posted:

To put it lightly, yeah. TWOK was easily the best book I've read in a while. I almost wish I'd waited for the second book to be out to start the series. . But I guess there's always re-reading.

Oh boy is there ever rereading. I have reread it a few times and every time I found something new that made me think 'oh man this little detail is going to come back in a big way'. I got a little crazy over finding potential plot hooks that I actually at one point was using the diamond symbols in breaks between sections in the edition I have as part of speculation and I had to stop myself from being that guy.

Natural Joe
Dec 27, 2006

coffeetable posted:

You can enjoy - even admire - an author while still having criticisms of them. Sanderson is drat good, but he still has a way to go in several ways, dialogue being one of them.

Fortunately the man's writing is improving in a way I haven't seen in a fantasy author since Pratchett, and that promises great things.

Agreed. The characters in Way of Kings are far and away more engrossing to me than those in his earlier works. I am much more interested in how characters are developing than what they are going to discover about their world, and that is the complete reverse of how his other works have gone for me.

But jesus christ the scenes where Shallan is being 'clever' are weak

Natural Joe
Dec 27, 2006

I think we will be in for more Kaladin flash back stuff cause there was a bit about a woman who knew him while he was a slave and it seems like a hint at more of his past