Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Ccs posted:

I finally finished Words of Radiance after a couple days of doing nothing but reading it. Good book. It absorbed me as much as the previous Stormlight book did a few years ago, even though I'd wondered with being older and with all the Game of Thrones seriousness since then whether I'd find Sanderson's fantasy too sanitized. Thankfully that wasn't the case, though sometimes the characters do seem too noble and the story filled with too many made up fantasy words.

It was only in this book that I realized all of Sanderson's works are related through this "Cosmere" thing, and that Wit has also appeared in Mistborn under another name. That means the villain of Stormlight could end up very similar to how Ruin was in Mistborn, which I didn't like. Evil forces that are evil because that's their nature but are also sentient are uninteresting. I prefer either the mindless conquering force (white walkers) or people with ambition who believe they're doing the right thing the whole time. So King Taravangian of Kharbranth is a much more interesting villain than this "Odium" they're facing. I hope he continues to have an interesting part to play over the next few books.

I liked how Adolin killed Sadeas at the end of this book. I wasn't looking forward to another book of Sadeas and his plots and Adolin killing him sets the stage for a new dynamic that's different from what we got here.

Also they talk about how the Everstorm is going to go around the world. But I thought the storms always got broken up when going around Shinovar. So I guess Shinovar is gonna get hosed up by the Everstorm then? Kinda sucks.

Anyway looking forward to reading the next book in a couple years. Good thing Sanderson is a faster writer than Martin.

shinovar and every single city or town protected by hills and rocks face just the right way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Pretty sure everyone is about to.get wrecked

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

api call girl posted:

I kind of like my idea that the POV in that chapter should've been Sadeas. It would have taken a little away from Dalinar's revelation to Adolin that Sadeas was pretending to be King Gavilar to provide a diversion, but it would've been a huger shock when Sadeas turns on Dalinar.

api call girl posted:

I kind of like my idea that the POV in that chapter should've been Sadeas. It would have taken a little away from Dalinar's revelation to Adolin that Sadeas was pretending to be King Gavilar to provide a diversion, but it would've been a huger shock when Sadeas turns on Dalinar.

you might just get your wish eventually. i'd bet that the first 5 books at least are going to start with a different perspective on that night just like 1 and 2

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Xachariah posted:

Actually Tavore isn't explicitly a lesbian, the soldiers just do a lot of insinuating about her and her assistant having lesbian sex. Her lover turns out to be a primeval monkey sex god too.

Most characters are straight, an occasional few are only innuendo-ed to be gay (Skulldeath, Tavore) by the soldiers but it's never explicit.

EDIT: This is definitely the wrong thread for this so bring it up in the Malazan thread if you want to keep talking about it.

Picker and Blend are pretty out and open with their lesbianity

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

RC Cola posted:

I love the wheel of time. Anyone ever read 'the world of the wheel of time? ' it has a bunch of background on the age of legends and basically everything that happened before the main story.

surely you mean 'the big book of bad art'

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Cicero posted:

Neat! I don't remember who Rysn is, though. This series has so many loving characters. Is this what Malazan fans feel like?

unless the fifth book contains only brand new characters that have never been referenced before, we're not in malazan territory

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

MildShow posted:

New chapter is up.

With all the talk of Urithiru’s oddities, I’ve come up with a new wild theory - Urithiru is a spaceship and is how the humans originally travelled to Roshar from Ashyn.

pretty sure theres a WoB out there that this is explicitly not the case

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
What if there was a remixed edition called Rhythm of GWAR?

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Well that and all the violence

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
RAFO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Moash is bae