Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Near end of book:
Ok so if Radiant shardblades are bonded spren, where do Radiant shardplates come from? I've only seen them in Dalinar's visions from the first book, perhaps they have to progress further along as a Radiant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Later in WoR:
Seems that Radiant shardplate is different than the standard shardplate as seen in one of Dalinar's dream sequences. The one with the two Knight Radiants that he helps battle the shadow dog beasts. It said something to the effect that their were runes and other details on the KR shardplates that glowed along with their shardblades. Kaladin's blade glows similarly and he was able to power the shardplate helmet in that duel with the shardbearers; however, it didn't mention if the helmet was glowing. It could be as simple as inscribing glyphs into the shardplate and holding stormlight.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

HaitianDivorce posted:

Uhhh so I picked up Mistborn a while back and now that I'm about a quarter of the way through I've just got to ask... Does it get better?

I plowed through all four mistborn books this month for the first time and really enjoyed them. It always gets better near the end of the book. Although I liked book two the least.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

nucleicmaxid posted:

Except she's not like Vin at all. Vin didn't sound like an after school. Cartoon character. :colbert:

In mistborn book 2 Vin did get close to twilight level angst with Zane. That's one thing I hope doesn't happen in the stormlight books.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

thespaceinvader posted:

Vasher is the main character from Warbreaker, and quite possibly a worldhopper, quite possibly a Herald and the person who created the sword Nightblood, which Szeth gets given at the end of WoR

Actually, Nightblood was created by Yesteel, a friend of Vasher, whom he later killed. In Warbreaker, he killed one more "friend" and was aiming to go after a fourth in the epilogue.

Since we can assume that Vasher has been absorbing stormlight to substitute for breaths, would that mean that he could also permanently increase his supply of breaths via stormlight? If it instead leaks out over a week or so, would he then be able to absorb a lot of stormlight all at once to reach the ninth heightening and then awaken a dead shardblade or an honorblade?

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Lobsterpillar posted:

So Honor was still alive, but died sometime before now and after the last desolation. If the Heralds actually have some connection to Odium (they hang out on Braize, so maybe the connection he has to them is stronger than they thought), maybe their abandoning the Oathpact weakened Honor and allowed Odium to kill him. The shards of Odium are still present as those big evil spren that cause the Thrill and Death Rattles.

The links have some spoilers on general cosmere stuff.
http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/4254-chicago-steelheart-signing-2-wheeling/#entry66703

Brandon answered this question:
Q: Are Honorspren Splinters, or do they hold Splinters?
A: Honorspren would be termed Splinters

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/4694-honor-splinter-spren-isnt-a-splinter-of-the-shard-or/?p=75854
I can't find the link atm, but there was a Q&A about the different spren. The above link references that there were spren before Honor was splintered completely.

Also in that thread, they talk about the balance that arises when polar shards (Ruin/Preservation) or (Honor/Odium/Possibly Cultivation) are on the same realm, like the three magic systems in mistborn. It goes on to say that Roshar is also experiencing this. This is probably what the desolations are.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
^You may want to spoiler some of that stuff. I won't quote it so I won't have to edit in spoiler tags.

Regarding the whole oath argument:
As someone else stated, Brandon did not mean for Kaladin's second and third oath to be the universal oath for every windrunner. Rather, it was his interpretation of doing the honorable thing. Kaladin was brought up in a rural town with excellent medical training but not in other studies. Thank god his father was not a lawyer.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Brandon Sanderson: Unfunny Dialogue and Horrible Names

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Tunicate posted:

I'd say 2 is definitely the low point in the series.

Anyway, a giant Q&A transcript from the Salt Lake City Comicon just went up.

Notable bit: Brandon is thinking of maybe doing a near future mistborn between the modern trilogy and space opera.

Harmony has his own metal, harmonium. Burning it probably turns you into a Jedi.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Another interesting thing in that above link was that Odium is afraid of Harmony.

Unlike Odium, Harmony is composed of two Shards and is supposed to be stronger than Odium. Harmony's intent is balance right? So that could mean at some point Harmony could be persuaded to help balance Roshar.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Shadows of Self chapter 4 was just released yesterday on tor.Com
http://www.tor.com/2015/09/14/excerpts-brandon-sanderson-shadows-of-self-chapter-four/

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Chapter 5 of shadows of self out. http://www.tor.com/2015/09/21/excerpts-brandon-sanderson-shadows-of-self-chapter-five/

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
They did the same chapter teaser dribbles with Words of Radiance. Drove me insane waiting for the book. I don't see how Wax is going to be able to fight a twinborn with added hemalurgy spikes.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Mortanis posted:

Also, dug the shout out to "visitors from another world" - Pretty concrete that shardpools are how one travels the cosmere then, though that's been more or less known for awhile now.

So, the mists still exist. That's Harmony's Spiritual realm manifestation I take it and apparently he just kept them around. If Harmonium is a thing, then that'd be his Physical.

What's Harmony's Cognitive realm manifestation? There's a shardpool on Scadrial, so I guess that's probably it, but there's another Shard in play now so it's not definitive.

Re: mistborn modern trilogy 3: I read somewhere that it is theorized that Harmonium will be forming soon, if you assume it has similar "recharging" properties to Atium.

Therefore, that might explain how there are mistborn in Sanderson's rough draft of mistborn trilogy 3.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
The only swearing that I find jolting is in his reckoners books.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Harmony can just make someone Mistborn too. It's one of the first things he does after(while?) fixing the world. The metal that existed already would still exist if he didn't unmake it too. Though the Atium was used up and if there was any Lerasium other than what was at the Well I don't think we've been told so.

I must have missed this part, who did Harmony elevate to mistborn? I haven't read the first mistborn trilogy in awhile but I thought the last was Elend.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
I thought Sanderson was an atheist or maybe Hindu. Isn't an author who writes about multiple Gods more likely to not belong to a monotheistic religion?

:munch:

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Torrannor posted:

Oh god, it starts again! A reminder that Bands of Mourning are coming soon.

Here's chapter one!

http://www.tor.com/2015/12/07/excerpts-brandon-sanderson-the-bands-of-mourning-chapter-one/

And now chapter 2

http://www.tor.com/2015/12/14/the-bands-of-mourning-chapter-two/

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Words of Radiance, Szeth, Reshi
Szeth's death was changed by Sanderson recently:
http://brandonsanderson.com/three-stories-in-new-formats/
The traders on a Reshi island are given a larkin which can absorb storm light from people:
http://stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Larkin

Also, chapter four of Bands of Mourning is out:
http://www.tor.com/2016/01/04/excerpts-brandon-sanderson-the-bands-of-mourning-chapter-four/

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Seems that tor will not be releasing additional preview chapters for Calamity. I was hoping this past Monday would have had more chapters with knees sparking firefight.
If you don't like the YA Reckoners trilogy, just try to think of it as Sanderson practicing for the dystopian Mistborn trilogy 3.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Calamity is out now for all you weirdos that like that kind of stuff.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

OAquinas posted:

Regarding shards the holder can be killed, but the power itself cannot be destroyed (at least, not by anything seen thus far). Odium won't absorb them because that would fundamentally change him--he won't be 100% perfect hate/rage all the time if he took on the additional power. So he kills the holder, and shatters/splinters the shard into a bunch of small pieces. This causes the power to manifest diffusely (spren, misc other phenomena) and while it's probably reversible it's likely not easy and the knowledge how may be restricted to Yolen (where the shard bearers all originate from).
Interestingly, shards can also splinter voluntarily. The Returned in Warbreaker are splinters. Honor blades may also be an example of this--basically it's the shard divesting a small fraction of its power to create something else.

That's another reason why Odium has a 1v1 (or 2v1) advantage--From what we've seen so far 'resident' shards seem to typically have a not-insubstancial amount of their power tied up into their world. Opium has no such limitations (normally...not sure what changed on Roshar).

More shard talk
Sanderson has said that Rayse(Odium) is afraid of Sazed(Harmony), but that Sazed has difficulty acting because of the nature of his shards. Trell is supposedly Autonomy or perhaps that is just the name of the religion, but the original holder was Bavadin. Hoid opposes both Odium and Autonomy. In Way of Kings, there is a letter epigraph supposedly written by Hoid "You have accused me of perpetuating my grudge against Rayse and Bavadin"

On the planet Sel (Elantris, Emperors Soul), Sanderson stated that Shadesmar is "difficult" due to "the Dor and the lack of an entity controlling much of the power" after Rayse splintered the two shards there. Further he states:
"Roshar does not have the same problem. There are some differences going on. (One reason being that the spren are far more extensive on Roshar, and provide something of a "release valve." The Seons and the Skaze on Sel are not numerous enough to fulfill a similar function. Though, of course, that's only one part of the puzzle. Raw power is dangerous.

It's one reason everyone should be thankful Kelsier was around on Scadrial."

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Evil Fluffy posted:

Where is that covered? I just recently read Elantris and I sure as hell don't recall that ever coming up unless the event that caused the chasm was when it occurred.

I'm phone posting so no link, but sanderson has stated that the two shards on Sel (elantris) were shattered well before the beginning of the book.

There's some other info regarding Sel in my earlier post. What I find interesting about Sel is the differnet magic systems are based on (identity?) geography. If you are born in Elantris, you would have a very hard time making soul stamps.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
After reading the last mistborn books, I've dived through:

Brian Ruckley's "The Free" and "The Edinburgh Dead"

Both are stand alone with some magic mixed in. The Free is about a young soldier following the last battles of a warband. The Edinburgh Dead is historical fiction with Frankenstein's monsters and a tenacious detective.

Justin Cronin's "The Passage" trilogy (the last book is not out yet).

American Apocalypse featuring Vampires. Kinda like "The Stand" but over a longer time frame and with more Stands.

Pierce Brown's "Red Rising" trilogy

A Luke Skywalker, who's people are unknowingly enslaved by higher castes, discovers the deception and joins the Rebellion as a high caste. The entire trilogy is a Space Opera mixed with The Hunger Games (first book only thank god) and Star Wars. First book was ok (lots of world building), but the second and third have some awesome battles, both in space and on land. I liked it so much I found myself rereading just the speeches in the last book.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Captain Capitalism posted:

Brandon's newsletter just came out with a preview for the Stormlight novella.

It's called Edgedancer, and it's about Lift. So, if you don't like her...you're not in luck.

I signed up for the newsletter because of this post, but so far the only newsletter I got is referencing old (February?) info about bands of mourning being released.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

bewilderment posted:

I just finished Bands of Mourning because after reading Stormlight so far, I had no idea there was an entire two more books of WaxnWayne.
It's amazing how far he's come as an author. Words of Radiance and Mistborn2 are so much better than Warbreaker and Mistborn1. Mistborn2 is actually genuinely funny in some places!

Also, 'ettmetal' is totally magnesium, right? It could probably be a couple of other things but it seems the most likely.

Luminaflare posted:

Magnesium doesn't explode in contact with water. It's some form of alkali metal. Most likely Lithium, Sodium or Potassium.

Bewilderment might be thinking of a magnesium fire interacting with water.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
If anyone is looking for another prolific fantasy author, try Phil Tucker. He's published three books so far in his Chronicles of the Black Gate series this year. Warning that he is one of those self-publishing authors (Amazon) and has a few other books out that I have not read.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Taravangian cannot be a Knights Radiant, he violates all of the statements in the first ideal.

quote:

Life before death - The Radiant seeks to defend life, always. He never kills unnecessarily, and never risks his own life for frivolous reasons. Living is harder than dying. The Radiant's duty is to live free.

Strength before weakness - All men are weak at some time in their lives. The Radiant protects those who are weak, and uses his strength for others. Strength does not make one capable of rule; it makes one capable of service.

Journey before destination - There are always several ways to achieve a goal. Failure is preferable to winning through unjust means. Protecting ten innocents is not worth killing one. In the end, all men die. How you lived will be far more important to the Almighty than what you accomplished.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
It is possible that Taravangian could become a radiant since there are some similarities with Lifts experiences. After all, only a small fraction of the radiants have been seen and of that, a lesser amount having a POV with their spren.

I am actually expecting (and rooting for) Szeth to kill Taravangian if they ever meet again.

I would think that the methods Taravangian uses prevent any Honor spren from bonding with him. Would be a nice twist if he somehow bonds with an Odium spren and becomes his champion.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
He had some interesting answers such as not wanting any of his books to be turned into an anime (thank god) and regrets about Fain and Mat in the wheel of time.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Lift would be uniquely powerful if she gained other shard world powers, assuming her food conversion into investiture works on any food produced anywhere. Imagine her as an edgedancer with bendalloy feruchemy, she would never run out of investiture as long as she had enough stored in metal. Now add bendalloy allomancy, and she would be fully invested continuously through compounding the stored food in the metalminds.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Torrannor posted:

Question:

In Bands of Mourning, when Wax had the Bands and tapped them to use allomantic powers that he did not have naturally, where did he get the metals to actually use those powers? Did I overlook him drinking a 16 metal mix? As far as I understand, tapping the Bands only gives you the ability to burn a certain metal, right? Or do they give you the power outright?

Marasi hands him one of the vial of metals that she stole from the soldiers, after he recovers from death. The only reason he was able to push the rubble was the steel he still had before he died.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

fuuuuuuuuck.

Will report back in 24h but I do not have a good feeling about this.

Does this count?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xlow12sSdmc&t=20s

And here is fox news scraping the bottom of the barrel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29lmR_357rA

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Prologue is up:
https://www.tor.com/2017/08/22/oathbringer-brandon-sanderson-prologue/

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
https://www.tor.com/2017/09/05/oathbringer-by-brandon-sanderson-chapters-4-6/

Chapters 4-6 are up.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
When Kaladin summons his shardblade for the first time, he sucks all the stormlight from the nearby gems in lanterns.

quote:

The entire hallway went black as the Stormlight in every lamp down the length of the hall winked out. For a moment, they stood in darkness.

He did this in the presence of two full shardbearers, yet their armor continued to function (which needs stormlight infused gems to function). Therefore, Kaladin did not drain the nearby stormlight from the shardplate.

We know almost nothing about the powers of the radiants and voidbinders, so it is not beyond reason that shardplate can be drained. There is also that bat thing that stole the stormlight from Lift, so the ability to remove stormlight against the will of another is already in the series.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
At 7pm utah time, you can preorder signed and possibly numbered copies of oathbringer.
https://brandonsanderson.com/oathbringer-release-party/

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
There's a kickstarter for mistborn coins, cheapest is $14 for one coin. However, if you are space rich you can get 37 coins (one of which will have been sent to the stratosphere for some reason) for only $350.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shirepostmint/mistborn-coins?ref=5urvn4

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Oathbringer ebook is available to read, just bought it on google play books.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

team overhead smash posted:

For one, we don't know if even Cultivation can see the future. She says she approaches him because others are paying attention to him, so it seems more like she's keeping an eye on what's going on in the present and sees Odium's manipulations. As for Nightwatcher, she seems to have no clue that there's anything special about with Dalinar so I don't see why she'd see anything special about Taravangian..

In Way of Kings, Chapter 75, the vision to Dalinar from the Stormfather:

quote:

The figure squinted at the horizon. "I cannot see the future completely. Cultivation, she is better at it than I."

Of course the vision could be inaccurate; however in Oathbringer, Cultivation does mention that in helping Dalinar, "I PROVIDE FOR HIM A WEAPON". Which supports that idea that Cultivation can see into the future.

The Gardenator fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
I enjoy having the google book app read the ebook in its robot monotone voice. Only works on books that the author has sold without DRM, like Sanderson.