Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
I disagree that the forsaken are/were incompetent. If I am remembering correctly, almost all of Rand's victories over the forsaken were with assistance from another person or entity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Re Dalinar plate in wok: after reading the three books, I took the glowing and Dalinar's ability to hold off a chasmfiend attack due to his investing in stormlight and also the way he treats his plate. Not painting it and spending a lot of time learning it until he is a master at it. If shardplate is anything like shardblades, there should be some level of consciousness and ability to bend rules (increase strength beyond normal dead shardplate) similarly to Adolin and his interactions with his blade.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

bitprophet posted:

The what now?

It's about 100 times bigger than this thing

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
The ending was written by Robert Jordan.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
The climax of Shadows of Self and Bands of Mourning have such great emotional hit. Shadows of Self came out of nowhere for me, and the next book tied it up nicely with the conflict with Wax and Harmony.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Tahirovic posted:

If it's your first read I guess it's ok to actually read that book and Knife of Dreams completely. On my current reread I started skipping most of the Egwene and Elayne chapters and all Perrin ones since Winter's Heart.
The fun is watching the mental things Rand and the silly things Mat do.

Am I in the minority, having read the series multiple times while waiting for Jordan to finish the series? I started sometime in 2003 or 2004 and have read the series over at least once a year since until the last book was written.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
I read that he's playing around with that Stones Unhallowed name because of its similarity to the 100% written Rothfuss book. That said, I hope the 5th book has an empire strikes back style plot with a major loss for the protagonists and much death.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Mel Mudkiper posted:

fair warning, I am bringing this post into the Bonfire thread since this thread is full of babies who will melt down if we actually deconstruct it

see you there

Liked the involuntarily moved discussion about involuntary collars are rape to the cringe thread. Did you just collar Torannor?

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Sham bam bamina! posted:

What about someone who catches the movie on TV, doesn't like it after 20 minutes, and changes the channel?

Edit: Pretend it's the '90s, I guess.

We should all only spend 20 minutes reviewing media and make definitive decisions as to the overarching quality of said media and all artists involved with its creation.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I didn't realize that changing the channel involved personally visiting everyone in the credits of the movie to spit in their faces, which is only as much of an exaggeration from your post as yours is from mine.

In any case, and to get back to the original point instead of this increasingly strained metaphor, I actually can get a pretty good sense of how likely I am to like a book after spending even ten minutes with it in a book store. I blind-buy books all the time and almost never get buyer's remorse. Having formed opinions on a novel by the hundred-page mark is in no way unreasonable, even if they aren't set in stone.

You are not wrong, my first WoT book (the Path of Daggers) was purchased from the bargain bin and I had no idea what it was. I read the introduction and thoroughly disliked it and did not read the rest of the book. It was not until years later that someone gave me the series (what was available) that I started reading and found I liked it. I did not, however, declare the book to be horrible to my other book reading colleagues. You see I had not read enough of the book to make such an argument.

Nor do I think Jordan's or Sanderson's works are above criticism. There are many issues with these authors works. I enjoy when Botl and others make in depth posts critiquing works. Conversely is the low effort smug posting negativity that some in here make just to troll.

But here is the conceit: everyone has opinions and they will use it in a critique. However, there can be no honest critique of art when judged solely by opinions not backed by facts because only 1/10 of an art or body of work was reviewed.

Otherwise, I could cherry pick something like The Sixth Sense or view just the upper 10% of The Scream. Forgetting that you can not view a portion of a work of art and then form a complete appraisal of said work.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

chernobyl kinsman posted:

hell yeah if there's one thing TBB needs it's another 900 page thread about a fantasy series

Is it terribly difficult for you? Sharing a forum with the rest of us, suffering our average wits and simple thoughts?

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

OneTwentySix posted:

Can't your phone play audiobooks if your Kindle can't? I feel like even my non-smart phone a few years back could still play audiobooks if they were the right formats.

Google play has a free, built in robot voice reader, but afaik it must be on DRM free ebooks from authors like Sanderson.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
I dont see a positive statement there Bolt.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Someone let me off this "complain only about women characters" train.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
I am rereading the first mistborn trilogy to see if I can remember who Demoux is. The first book was ok, but am now struggling through the Well of Ascension. This is his worst book due to the mopey relationship angst with Elend and Vin. I cannot wait for the koloss attack and Zane's betrayal. The scene with Sazed and Marsh was not as intense as I remember it. I'm imagining that Zane is literally Billy Zane's character from the Titanic movie and its helping a bit with reading.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Once Zane dies in Well of Ascension, the book picks up and has the usually Sanderson avalanche. Hero of Ages was much better overall.

One thing that was confusing, Kelsier meets someone named Hoid in the Final Empire, then meets Hoid again in the Well but doesnt recognize him? Also, if that was Hoid both times, why did he leave and then try to come back again and why did he not pick up the mistborn nugget the first time coming through the perpendicularly if so?

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Taffer posted:

Hoid was disguised (both times), so there isn't really a way Kelsier could have recognized him. As for the second bit, I'm pretty sure the well didn't serve as a perpendicularity until it was "full". Hoid was using the pit's perpendicularity before that. It's likely he didn't know the wells location, or didn't know that those nuggets were there until everything happened there.

I'm going to have to reread secret history, I now recall Hoid mentioning that the pits were another perpendicularly now that you jogged my memory.

The first mistborn trilogy really benefits from the secret history novella. There were scenes in hero of ages that were confusing on first read.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Leather bound books opened up to order on kickstarter. Regular leatherbound is $200 and signed and numbered is $500. Signed and numbered is almost sold out at around ~400 left out of 1950.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dragonsteel/the-way-of-kings-10th-anniversary-leatherbound-edition?ref=user_menu

E: 71 left S&N books
E2: Signed and Numbered tiers sold out. Looks like they are offering another $500 tier but without numbering.

The Gardenator fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 7, 2020

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Brotherwise games is making a call to adventure board game based on The Stormlight Archives. There are three tiers, the top being sold out. The base game is $40 and the deluxe is $45 (comes with a 48 page art book).

https://www.brotherwisegames.com/stormlight-archive-deluxe-edition
https://www.brotherwisegames.com/shop/the-stormlight-archive
https://www.brotherwisegames.com/stormlight

The links inside those pages to barnes and noble do not work for me. The deluxe can be ordered here:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/toys-games-call-to-adventure-stormlight-archive-dlx-bn/35115522

And from Sanderson's website:

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/call-to-adventure-the-stormlight-archive/

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

th3t00t posted:

Only 1 chapter this week :negative:

Kaladin discovering that the fused order of Heavenly Ones follow a Code of Honor is interesting. Who would have thought the "Voidbringers" would fight fair and with honor, dueling one on one and allowing wounded to surrender and retreat. Seems to point to maybe not all of the fused actually being "bad". Windrunners and Heavenly Ones joining forces at some point seems a definite possibility.

I wonder if the mega-climax Sanderson said that will be taking place in RoW is the ascension of the Sibling's Bondsmith and the reactivation of Urithiru, all while a massive battle is taking place, and Kaladin finally swearing the fourth and possibly 5th ideal during said battle.

I'm re-reading the series to be fully refreshed and also reading the preview chapters. It's amazing how much sense the interludes, foreshadowing and non-regular povs make now that I have a better understanding of Roshar and the Cosmere. I remember my first time reading them and being almost completely lost.

I just finished the WoR chapter where Eshonai reveals Stormform to the other Listeners and tells them the salvation of their people will come from everyone transforming to Stormform and summoning a storm to destroy their enemies. And the chapter ends with "And she pointedly ignored the voice deep within her that was screaming in horror." I still feel like it was a mistake by Sanderson to kill Eshonai and have Venli assume her narrative role. I <3 Eshonai.

It seems almost as if the Windrunners and the Heavenly Ones are more influenced by Honor than other members. Supposedly, Honor tied/trapped Odium to Roshar somehow and this might be related.

Navani thinking there was a sound when Dalinar opened the perpendicularity has got me wondering about music spren and those large sentient horses. Hoid also tried to get Kaladin to learn the flute, perhaps that is also related.

The more I read Sandersons books, the more I see that he really focuses in how technology advances societies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. I really wish all wikis would keep the base pages pretty spoiler free and then break the spoilers down by book.

Like you shouldn't start out a wiki page with "Kelsier was the leader of the skaa rebellion until he was killed by the Lord Ruler."

Stay away from those wiki pages, a wiki on kelsier would spoil a lot of books for you.